PDA

View Full Version : Namaste

Nondogmatic Nondualist
22 June 2009, 08:46 PM
Greetings to everyone here at the Hindu Dharma Forums. I am American by birth and was baptised a Christian, but from a young age I was exposed to Hinduism due to my father's interest in hatha yoga, pranayama and meditation. I never particularly identified with Christianity, as I seldom attended church. I have had an affinity since that young age with Indian culture and an interest in Hinduism (though I see with greater clarity what the heart of Hinduism is now than then). At the age of 8, I made the decision to become a vegetarian (independently of my parents, who both ate meat).

I have read about different spiritual paths, including Yoga, Vedanta, Sufism, Taoism and Buddhism. My understanding is that the ultimate nondual reality is the source of inspiration for all of these traditions, and all of them are true to the extent that they point to that reality.

Advaita is the school of Indian/Hindu philosophy that makes the most sense to me, and it seems to be confirmed by my own experience. My impression is that dogma of any kind is antithetical to Advaita/nondualism, and unhelpful in attaining self-realization. I tend to be sceptical of any claims of supernatural powers or occurrences; in any case, I feel that they have nothing to do with self-realization or moksha. I also am uncertain of the value of yoga exercises; anything that is attained can be lost, and any experience that arises will pass. The reality of who one is does not come or go, is never gained or lost, is never created nor destroyed; it simply is.

The writings and talks of Ramana Maharshi, J. Krishnamurti, Nisargadatta Maharaj and H.W.L. Poonja (Papaji) resonate most strongly with me.

I hope that I will be able to engage in fruitful discussions with others here and learn more about Sanatana Dharma.

Spiritualseeker
22 June 2009, 09:01 PM
Namaste,

Welcome to the forums. I am also a westerner who is interested in Sanatana Dharma. Though right now I am trying to find truth and Moksha or nirvana. I hope you have some good discussions here on the forum. Please do share your knowledge.

-Juan

Spiritualseeker
22 June 2009, 09:03 PM
By the way, maybe you can discuss with me on this thread http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29176#post29176

Znanna
22 June 2009, 09:25 PM
Namaste, welcome!

Time spent in simple meditation, practice, I think is more relevatory than debate. However, debate and consideration then puts that into context, which is a good thing.

ZN/finds the path by looking where the feet are ;)