PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo of Gods?

Spiritualseeker
24 June 2009, 09:22 PM
namaste,

Would it be alright if i got a tattoo of Lord Shiva on my back?

Eastern Mind
25 June 2009, 04:55 PM
Scripture predates tattoos, computers, etc, so I guess one has to rely on his own intuition, or taste, eh? Personally, I don't see tattoos much differently than jewelry, except in permanence (well temporary really, the soul will continue when the body drops off). But I'd never get one. just think its unecessary. but hey if you want a tattoo, go get one.

Aum Namasivaya

shian
29 June 2009, 10:43 AM
i dont agree ^_^

yes God everywhere and see us everytime

but

Murti (image, sclupture etc) is "use" to make our mind stay in pure state,

if you everyday put the image in not pure things, so it will caused or effect to you (from deeply consciousness), and not become holy object again as you respect before.

The problem is not in God, but is in our, we are human mind,

yes maybe some friends said "that is according to your mind."

Its seems like so easy to talk, but acctualy no many people can handle the deeply states of consciousness.

will you think about lust (if you is ordinary boy) infront of Murti (Holy image) ?

or will you put holy image in toilet ?

of course you can keep God name in your mind when you use toilet .
But Murti is different.

The point is it is will take effect to your deeply consciousness

saidevo
01 July 2009, 08:48 PM
My views are the same as Shian's on the topic. A tattoo of a God image, on the external part of our body is not a necessary or desirable cue to devotion. God is supposed to reside in the cave of our heart, and that the spiritual heart on the right side of our chest, not the physical heart on the left side.

If one has an image of Shiva tattooed on one's back, for example, Shiva often gets an ablution of human perspiration, which to me is abhorrent! Shiva is supposed to get an abiShekam with the purest of pure waters of the Ganga and other divinely sanctified liquids such as the tender coconut water, honey, etc.

In bhakti, the bhAvam (mindset) is very important. When we worship God, we should think and feel his divine presence in the place of worship and not just think that we worship only the image. This is the reason, when some food such as the pAyasam (kheer) is offered to God in worship, it is offered at a bearable warmth rather than steaming hot.

As Shian has pointed out, some mischief mongers in the US sometime back marketed toilet seats with images of Hindu gods printed on them, hurting Hindu religious feelings and causing a great controversy. Thus, Gods need to be associated with our mind and heart, not with the parts of our physical body, IMO.

Spiritualseeker
11 July 2009, 08:06 AM
namaste,

I see. I have a tattoo of OM on my chest, would it be offensive to get anotehr mantra like OM namah Sivaya etc?

eshwaar
13 July 2009, 06:43 AM
i dont agree ^_^

yes God everywhere and see us everytime

but

Murti (image, sclupture etc) is "use" to make our mind stay in pure state,

if you everyday put the image in not pure things, so it will caused or effect to you (from deeply consciousness), and not become holy object again as you respect before.

The problem is not in God, but is in our, we are human mind,

yes maybe some friends said "that is according to your mind."

Its seems like so easy to talk, but acctualy no many people can handle the deeply states of consciousness.

will you think about lust (if you is ordinary boy) infront of Murti (Holy image) ?

or will you put holy image in toilet ?

of course you can keep God name in your mind when you use toilet .
But Murti is different.

The point is it is will take effect to your deeply consciousness

My views are the same as Shian's on the topic. A tattoo of a God image, on the external part of our body is not a necessary or desirable cue to devotion. God is supposed to reside in the cave of our heart, and that the spiritual heart on the right side of our chest, not the physical heart on the left side.

If one has an image of Shiva tattooed on one's back, for example, Shiva often gets an ablution of human perspiration, which to me is abhorrent! Shiva is supposed to get an abiShekam with the purest of pure waters of the Ganga and other divinely sanctified liquids such as the tender coconut water, honey, etc.

In bhakti, the bhAvam (mindset) is very important. When we worship God, we should think and feel his divine presence in the place of worship and not just think that we worship only the image. This is the reason, when some food such as the pAyasam (kheer) is offered to God in worship, it is offered at a bearable warmth rather than steaming hot.

As Shian has pointed out, some mischief mongers in the US sometime back marketed toilet seats with images of Hindu gods printed on them, hurting Hindu religious feelings and causing a great controversy. Thus, Gods need to be associated with our mind and heart, not with the parts of our physical body, IMO.
i agree with both of your point of veiw

i have a lot of tattos. at one time i wanted a few tattos of different god and goddesses, symbols. but when i thought about it i decided not to. why? well for the simple reason is that this body is not pure and as much we may try our minds are not pure either, our body and minds are intercontected as one. also to ,everyday you have to take a shower to clean the dirt and dead cell from your body, hence the body is not clean. also if you drink alchool, eat meat. your polluting your body with impure things, i see this as a sign of disrespect to the said god that is tattod to your body. all theese thing you have to take into consideration. remember all that is associated with god is pure.

Spiritualseeker
13 July 2009, 07:01 PM
Namaste,

I see where all of you are coming from, however God or Lord Siva is within everything through and through and transcended above everything. So regardless Siva flows through pure and impure and also pure and impure are just concepts of the mind. The reality of interbeing is unsurpassed.

shian
14 July 2009, 02:57 AM
Namaste,

I see where all of you are coming from, however God or Lord Siva is within everything through and through and transcended above everything. So regardless Siva flows through pure and impure and also pure and impure are just concepts of the mind. The reality of interbeing is unsurpassed.

yes Lord Shiva is in everything, but not in theese view.

why you take Shiva picture in shrine ? why not a picture of cat or dog ? you said Shiva is in everything.

yes is true Shiva is in everything
if Shiva is in everythings like your theory, why you choose to change the religion ?

yes TRUE if pure or not, is only from mind,
but why you not bath with some dirty things ? like others perspiration?

my friends, there every game have the rules

but if you still want do that, that is yours

Hemant
30 August 2009, 04:25 AM
Namaste,

I too believe that god is present in everything. The Gita tells us that every action we can possibly do is of god. This leads me to believe that the ink, needle and skin is too of god. If this is believed, then having a tattoo is combining several elements of god together.

I found the remarks about sweating on a tattoo of shiva interesting. If everything is of brahman then even sweat is an offering. Action is of god and sweat could be seen as the result of the action. If the action is of god, everything is of god, then how can the sweat be impure?

orlando
09 May 2012, 02:43 PM
These are my devotional tattoos:
http://i40.tinypic.com/211rxcm.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/mmd6r4.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/34j6bm8.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/16hl2ex.jpg

I have another tattoo ma,since it has not do anything with religion,I will not show it here.

Regards,
Orlando.

Shanti29
09 May 2012, 07:56 PM
Namaste,

You have an Aum tattoo and seem to have made a decision on the new one so why bother to ask?