PDA

View Full Version : which is better

eshwaar
05 July 2009, 06:38 PM
is chanting om namo bhagavate vasudevaya better then chanting om alone ?

devotee
05 July 2009, 09:39 PM
Namaste Eshwar,

is chanting om namo bhagavate vasudevaya better then chanting om alone ?

It is not important what you chant but how you chant. It is said, "Never take the name of God in vain". You should feel the presence of God while taking His name ... and you should feel your presence & the world's presence dissolve in God's presence.

"AUM" sound has been heard by the Yogis (though it is heard as different sounds at different astral planes depending upon the stage of the seeker). It is the vibration which fills the entire universe ... from which everything arises & goes back into it.

Vaasudeva is one of the most loving names of the Lord. Choose any name whatever appeals to you. Due to his bad karmas, Ratnakara, the robber, couldn't pronounce Rama but could only say, "Mara" (Killed) ... Maharishi Naarada advised him to keep chanting whatever he could but keep only God in mind while chanting .... so, he kept chanting "Mara" with utter devotion to Lord & thus had the grace of God ... Ratankara, the robber, was later on famously known as "Maharishi Vaalmiki" who wrote the Ramayana.

OM

eshwaar
06 July 2009, 01:20 AM
Namaste Eshwar,

It is not important what you chant but how you chant. It is said, "Never take the name of God in vain". You should feel the presence of God while taking His name ... and you should feel your presence & the world's presence dissolve in God's presence.

"AUM" sound has been heard by the Yogis (though it is heard as different sounds at different astral planes depending upon the stage of the seeker). It is the vibration which fills the entire universe ... from which everything arises & goes back into it.

Vaasudeva is one of the most loving names of the Lord. Choose any name whatever appeals to you. Due to his bad karmas, Ratnakara, the robber, couldn't pronounce Rama but could only say, "Mara" (Killed) ... Maharishi Naarada advised him to keep chanting whatever he could but keep only God in mind while chanting .... so, he kept chanting "Mara" with utter devotion to Lord & thus had the grace of God ... Ratankara, the robber, was later on famously known as "Maharishi Vaalmiki" who wrote the Ramayana.

OMwow i never knew that story about maharishi vaalmik.........that i think that clears it up for me. i do prefer chanting the name of lord than just om alone.

saidevo
06 July 2009, 11:03 AM
Chanting the mantra 'AUM' with due alignment to breathing could be of help at bedtime as we wait for the sleep to take possession of us. Another mantra that can be chanted at bedtime is 'soham'. Mantras of one or two syllables usually merge well and even correct with our breathing pattern, still our mind and get us smoothly into dreamless deep sleep.