PDA

View Full Version : Kriya yoga?

Spiritualseeker
11 July 2009, 01:06 PM
Namaste,

Can a Shaivite do Kriya Yoga? Are there any that do it? I am interested in doing the self study course of Yogananda self realization fellowship. After a year of the basic practices you then get in touch with a guru (monk or nun) and practice kriya yoga. I am contemlpating doing it my wife included.

devotee
11 July 2009, 11:01 PM
Namaste SS,

Can a Shaivite do Kriya Yoga? Are there any that do it? I am interested in doing the self study course of Yogananda self realization fellowship. After a year of the basic practices you then get in touch with a guru (monk or nun) and practice kriya yoga. I am contemlpating doing it my wife included.

I am doing this course & I can assure you that it would change your life for good. Kriya Yoga is not deity or religion specific as God is not different for different deities or religions. You need more than a year to be eligible to be given the dikhsa of Kriya Yoga after going through the study course. By that time, all your doubts shall be removed.

OM

Spiritualseeker
12 July 2009, 06:32 AM
Namaste,

thanks devotee! I am planning on starting I just sent in a form to request that booklet (which i mainly already read) and my wife and I are going to sign up. So it has truely changed your life? I am fascinated by the speech of Yogananda. His works are pretty good. I do plan on placing much dedication into it. If I am not mistaken it seems like i pay $8 (plus another $8 if my wife wants to be part of it) and then $14 for the first 1-19 lessons? Then after i complete those lessons i pay for the rest? I am trying to understand.

Om Namah Sivaya

-juan

devotee
12 July 2009, 12:36 PM
Namaste SS,

So it has truely changed your life? I am fascinated by the speech of Yogananda. His works are pretty good. I do plan on placing much dedication into it. If I am not mistaken it seems like i pay $8 (plus another $8 if my wife wants to be part of it) and then $14 for the first 1-19 lessons? Then after i complete those lessons i pay for the rest? I am trying to understand.

Yogananda is a rare teacher, par excellence. You will know as you go through the lessons. It changed me for better & I hope it will happen to you too.

Regarding payments, I cannot say, as I paid in INR & not in USD. In India, they offer companion's membership at a very nominal cost. The same should be true for USA.

OM

Spiritualseeker
21 July 2009, 08:10 AM
Namaste,

I found a number to a meditation group in Orlando that are linked with the Self Realization Fellowship. I am going to call for info today. :) wish me luck

OM
-juan

Sherab
21 July 2009, 09:30 AM
Namaste,

I found a number to a meditation group in Orlando that are linked with the Self Realization Fellowship. I am going to call for info today. :) wish me luck

OM
-juan

May Ganesha dissolve all obstacles!

namaste

devotee
21 July 2009, 11:28 AM
I found a number to a meditation group in Orlando that are linked with the Self Realization Fellowship. I am going to call for info today. :) wish me luck !
-juan

Wish you all the best, Juan ! :)

OM

Spiritualseeker
23 July 2009, 02:52 PM
Namaste,

Hey devotee. I am still waiting for the Self Realization Fellowship to send me the little pamphlet so i can sign up for the lessons. I am a little impatient. But in the meantime I can decide if I truely want to go upon this path :)

Spiritualseeker
23 July 2009, 05:58 PM
Namaste,

I also just downloaded A autobiogrophy of an yogi which ofcourse he speaks a bit on Kriya yoga like Sri Yogananda always does speaking about how useful it is. Perhaps this can help me decide

devotee
23 July 2009, 09:55 PM
Namaste SS,

Hey devotee. I am still waiting for the Self Realization Fellowship to send me the little pamphlet so i can sign up for the lessons. I am a little impatient. But in the meantime I can decide if I truely want to go upon this path

Take your time. There is no hurry. It is always good to make up one's mind before taking any step.

However, even if you take these lessons, you are never bound to stay with SRF, if you so feel ... and that is true for any path except Islam, imo.

Kriya Yoga is mentioned in name only in "Autobiography of a Yogi". There is no details available in the book or even in lessons that you would go through. The lessons prepare you physically & mentally for receiving Kriya Yoga. At the end of the lessons, they ask some questions & by going through your answers if they feel that you are ready to receive Kriya Yoga, one of the authorised monks initiates you into Kriya Yoga. You have to do all energisation exercises & practise two basic meditation techniques every day for several months before you are considered for initiation.

I can share with you :

a) The lessons teach you techniques of healing yourself physically, mentally & spiritually ( after some time, you learn to pray for healing others too). Basically, it is a lesson on "Art of Living" which touches almost all aspects of your life. You learn the yogic energisation exercises & two meditation techniques which you are required to practise daily.
b) Yogananda Promises that Kriya Yoga is like a mathematical problem & when solved as per the required rules would always give the same result i.e. "Self-Realisation".

I would advise to you to read as much as possible about the path which attracts you & take a firm decision & start practising. Theories can never exactly tell you what the Reality is.

OM

Spiritualseeker
24 July 2009, 07:41 AM
Namaste,

you are right. I suppose I am just suffering so much that I want something to grasp which again adds more suffering. I am not my suffering i am the witness of it. I have to remember. All these feelings and emotions are insubstantial.

So with the energization meditation does it help you have energy? Is it used as a preliminary before meditation?

Yeah i know autobiography of a yogi isnt about teaching about kriya yoga i just meant his references to it. Which is what he usually does in his works. Its interesting reading about his life and how spiritual he was and is (beyond death).

with love
-juan

devotee
24 July 2009, 11:35 AM
Namaste SS,

you are right. I suppose I am just suffering so much that I want something to grasp which again adds more suffering. I am not my suffering i am the witness of it. I have to remember. All these feelings and emotions are insubstantial.

What you say is true but at this point this is only intellectual understanding. Though it has its own value, the "realisation" is different. You should not worry about all these at this juncture. Yes, seeing yourself as "witness" relieves you from all pains immediately because of the detachment.

So with the energization meditation does it help you have energy? Is it used as a preliminary before meditation?

It is energization exercises & not energization meditation. It makes you physically fit for meditation.

Its interesting reading about his life and how spiritual he was and is (beyond death).

Yes, he promised that he would always be there for his disciples & his presence has been testified by quite a number of his disciples.

OM

Spiritualseeker
27 July 2009, 06:50 PM
Namaste,

Okay devotee I am going to decide by Friday if I want to either follow the Nichiren buddhist discipline and practice or follow Hindu practice in particular the system of Kriya Yoga and worship Lord Siva.

Spiritualseeker
29 July 2009, 07:26 PM
Namaste,

Okay I sent my application form and purchased my first set of books for the Self Realization Fellowship Course. I hope it will be beneficial. I was a bit sad due to my clinging to buddhism. But perhaps I will get over it by a search for Siva.

Sherab
29 July 2009, 07:45 PM
Namaste,

Okay I sent my application form and purchased my first set of books for the Self Realization Fellowship Course. I hope it will be beneficial. I was a bit sad due to my clinging to buddhism. But perhaps I will get over it by a search for Siva.
Please PM me if you need to talk bro :)

Spiritualseeker
29 July 2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks a lot I might need it. The buddha helped me get out of the delusion of islam. Though I never formally converted to Buddhism I was still benefitted by it.

Sherab
29 July 2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks a lot I might need it. The buddha helped me get out of the delusion of islam. Though I never formally converted to Buddhism I was still benefitted by it.

I understand. The Buddha is an incarnation of Vishnu. Maybe keeping an image of him on your shrine would do you good. :)

Spiritualseeker
29 July 2009, 08:10 PM
yeah, I was thinking about that. But I had some weird answers on my thread about if Buddha is God. Perhaps someone can clarify for us. This is the link http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4116

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 06:38 AM
Namaste,

if anyone is interested in the Self Realization Fellowship Courses you can check out this link and request information: http://www.yogananda-srf.org/lessons/index.html

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 10:28 AM
Has anyone tried these yogic techniques? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0LxzYxox8Q

Sherab
30 July 2009, 10:35 AM
Has anyone tried these yogic techniques? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0LxzYxox8Q
Bro, the vid is fake :\

I wouldnt try it anyways, seeing its from a TV show with a prank, etc.

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 10:39 AM
lol i know. I used to watch it when i was around 14 or so.