PDA

View Full Version : Statue of Gods and goddesses

Spiritualseeker
13 July 2009, 06:33 AM
namaste,

i am looking for an inexpensive Nataraja statue that i can purchase online any suggestion? Also perhaps other shiva statues and lord Murugan etc...

Also what other deities can one place on their alter as a shaivite?

Sherab
17 July 2009, 06:49 PM
I was wondering about this is well, i'm leaning more towards Smarta as well... :)

Eastern Mind
17 July 2009, 06:57 PM
http://www.kashand.com/natraj.htm

Fifteen bucks for a 4 inch one. Can't see going wrong. Quality.. well, that's another story.

Often Indian grocery stores carry such things, although usually the quality is lacking.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
17 July 2009, 07:02 PM
I actually found an 8" statue of ganesha... :) i will post a link when i find it.

http://store.krishna.com/Detail.bok?no=585&bar=_shp_home-wor

Eastern Mind
17 July 2009, 07:14 PM
Or you could get this one:

http://lotus-sculpture.stores.yahoo.net/calg.html

108 inches, only 25000

I've seen Him. He's pretty nice.

Spiritualseeker
17 July 2009, 07:15 PM
Namaste,

Beautiful Lord Ganesha statue.

Easternmind i am thinking of getting the 8 inch statue of Lord Siva. I already have a ganesha statue though it is plastic :( but perhaps ill buy a regular one along with siva.

Spiritualseeker
17 July 2009, 07:43 PM
maybe I should find a lord murugan statue aswell. If i become Hindu I think I will devote myself to these three Gods. DO you suggest any other deities eastern mind?

Ekanta
17 July 2009, 07:57 PM
I actually found an 8" statue of ganesha... :) i will post a link when i find it.

http://store.krishna.com/Detail.bok?no=585&bar=_shp_home-wor

"This large Ganesh figurine is a great gift idea, or perfect for your car for removing those traffic obstacles you face every day"

I found this kind of funny. Sure perhaps... but still, hehe.

Sherab
17 July 2009, 08:01 PM
"This large Ganesh figurine is a great gift idea, or perfect for your car for removing those traffic obstacles you face every day"

I found this kind of funny. Sure perhaps... but still, hehe.

Honestly, the best protection for traffic is patience and love... of course, ganesha can remind us of this, but anyways... I was looking at the statue itself :)

Spiritualseeker
17 July 2009, 08:01 PM
Lol i found it silly. I just pray to Lord Ganesha to be with me help me learn the dharma and remove the delusions from my mind and obstacles in the way from divine awakening.

Sherab
17 July 2009, 08:05 PM
maybe I should find a lord murugan statue aswell. If i become Hindu I think I will devote myself to these three Gods. DO you suggest any other deities eastern mind?
A little off topic bro, but have you read this book?

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/wih/pdf/wih_sec1.pdf

It details all the basic features of each tradition, and it mentions shiva, paravati, ganesha, and murugan.

Spiritualseeker
17 July 2009, 08:06 PM
I understand that Lord Siva, Lord Ganesha, and Lord murugan are the three mostly worshipped in shaivite hinduism are there others?

Eastern Mind
17 July 2009, 08:09 PM

You know mw, and my heritage, belief, so yes, from my opinion, these 3 are all you need. On my home shrine I have Ganesha, Muruga, and Siva in 3 forms: Lingam, Natarajah, and Ardhinarisvara. That's it. Straight up Saiva.

Muruga statues are a lot harder to find, because the North Indian stores don't know Muruga.

I remember clearly buying my first nataraja. It was at a store in Vancouver, B.C. For some reason I was just magnetised to it. At that time I didn't even know who Siva was. But I bought it anyway. Now we have upgraded to the blend of 5 metals type.

Statues, for holding vibration, should be stone, or metal. At least that's what I've been told.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
17 July 2009, 08:10 PM
I understand that Lord Siva, Lord Ganesha, and Lord murugan are the three mostly worshipped in shaivite hinduism are there others?
as i said, paravati/shakti :)

Other then that, that is it...

Eastern Mind
17 July 2009, 08:13 PM
A little off topic bro, but have you read this book?

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/wih/pdf/wih_sec1.pdf

It details all the basic features of each tradition, and it mentions shiva, paravati, ganesha, and murugan.

Well, yes and no. Since its a compilation of previously published works by Himalayan Academy, and I read their stuff (Hinduism Today) all the time, I've probably read most of at one time or another.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
17 July 2009, 08:17 PM

In most branches of strict Saivism, Shakti is not worshipped separately, as a separate deity, but rather as a part of Siva, mainly the effectual. This is seen in the Yoni of the Lingam, an earing in Natarajah, and half of Ardhinarishvara. Shaktism has, over time, sort of infiltrated pure Saivism. Take the Tanjore temple, for example. There is just Nandi, and the Lingam. I have my guesses to as to why, historically, but those are just guesses.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
17 July 2009, 08:20 PM

Namaste,

Im sorry I did not see your post. Your right I forgot about Paravati. Which is ofcourse Lord Siva in Shakti form.

:) So you said your into smarta? What got you into that if you dont mind me asking? Do you think Sanatana Dharma is for you?

You know mw, and my heritage, belief, so yes, from my opinion, these 3 are all you need. On my home shrine I have Ganesha, Muruga, and Siva in 3 forms: Lingam, Natarajah, and Ardhinarisvara. That's it. Straight up Saiva.

Muruga statues are a lot harder to find, because the North Indian stores don't know Muruga.

I remember clearly buying my first nataraja. It was at a store in Vancouver, B.C. For some reason I was just magnetised to it. At that time I didn't even know who Siva was. But I bought it anyway. Now we have upgraded to the blend of 5 metals type.

Statues, for holding vibration, should be stone, or metal. At least that's what I've been told.

Aum Namasivaya

Beautiful, but now that you said its hard to find Lord Muruga I feel like finding him much more. According to Dancing with Siva you may call upon this Lord during times of distress. Plus he is used much in Kundalini. Very interesting :)

Sherab
17 July 2009, 08:28 PM
Namaste,

Im sorry I did not see your post. Your right I forgot about Paravati. Which is ofcourse Lord Siva in Shakti form.

:) So you said your into smarta? What got you into that if you dont mind me asking? Do you think Sanatana Dharma is for you?

Beautiful, but now that you said its hard to find Lord Muruga I feel like finding him much more. According to Dancing with Siva you may call upon this Lord during times of distress. Plus he is used much in Kundalini. Very interesting :)
Well, for smarta, it is just nonsectarian it seems. And i think, tradition is great - but it should not stop you from praying to ganesha, to durga, to kali... Of course, each tradition includes the other, but right now, i feel very open to all of them - each mahadeva can be worshipped, on their own, by anyone.

Why limit our needs?

For me, that is the beauty of these representations of God - they reach out to us, in whatever way we feel, and there is something for everyone. Why limit that?

Then again, i was a tantric buddhist, and the saying was - "knowing one is like knowing all".

Anyways, i am very new, dont know any terms, and have only read 3 or 4 books on hinduism. In fact, i dont even own a single hindu murti, or do any pujas, or even have been to a temple.

So, take what i say with a grain of salt.

Eastern Mind
17 July 2009, 08:35 PM
Well, for smarta, it is just nonsectarian it seems. And i think, tradition is great - but it should not stop you from praying to ganesha, to durga, to kali... Of course, each tradition includes the other, but right now, i feel very open to all of them - each mahadeva can be worshipped, on their own, by anyone.

Why limit our needs?

For me, that is the beauty of these representations of God - they reach out to us, in whatever way we feel, and there is something for everyone. Why limit that?

Then again, i was a tantric buddhist, and the saying was - "knowing one is like knowing all".

Anyways, i am very new, dont know any terms, and have only read 3 or 4 books on hinduism. In fact, i dont even own a single hindu murti, or do any pujas, or even have been to a temple.

So, take what i say with a grain of salt.

Welcome to the search. After awhile you'll likely settle into something. Probably have to do with your intuition, and what you feel comfortable with. By going to a variety of temples, reading a variety of books etc, you'll discover that these were the concepts you already held, so it'll just make more sense. At least that was my experience. Those who are born directly into it, never left it, living in India, have less of a search, I think.

Spiritualseeker
17 July 2009, 08:37 PM
Namaste,

I know what you mean. I like non sectarianism. It allows us to be open. But many of the hindu sects are pretty much open. I love the Shaivite philosophy. I if i start believing in God will only believe in a God of monism and panantheism as explained in Dancing with Siva.

Sherab
17 July 2009, 09:47 PM
Namaste,

I know what you mean. I like non sectarianism. It allows us to be open. But many of the hindu sects are pretty much open. I love the Shaivite philosophy. I if i start believing in God will only believe in a God of monism and panantheism as explained in Dancing with Siva.

What philosophy might that be?

Shhiva is everywhere, etc?

Spiritualseeker
18 July 2009, 06:16 AM
Namaste,

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/dws/dws_mandala-03.html this talks about Shaivite Theology. It is found in Dancing with Siva. I have the hard copy and it is a must have.

Saivism is a unique religion in which God is both manifest and unmanifest, dual and nondual, within us and outside of us. It is not strictly pantheistic, polytheistic or monotheistic. Its predominant theology is known as monistic theism, panentheism, or Advaita Ishvaravada. Monism, the opposite of dualism, is the doctrine that reality is a one whole or existence without independent parts. Theism is belief in God and the Gods, both immanent and transcendent. Saivism is monistic in its belief in a one reality and in the advaitic, or nondual, identity of man with that reality. Saivism is theistic in its belief in the Gods, and in God Siva as a loving, personal Lord, immanent in the world. Saivism expresses the oneness of Pati-pashu-pasha, God-soul-world, encompassing the nondual and the dual, faithfully carrying forth both Vedanta and Siddhanta, the pristine Sanatana Dharma of the Vedas and Saiva Agamas.

Also see this from the same book http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/dws/dws_mandala-04.html

To discover Parashiva, the yogi penetrates deep into contemplation. As thoughts arise in his mind, mental concepts of the world or of the God he seeks, he silently repeats, "Neti, neti--it is not this; it is not that." His quieted consciousness expands into Satchidananda. He is everywhere, permeating all form in this blissful state. He remembers his goal, which lies beyond bliss, and holds firmly to "Neti, neti--this is not that for which I seek." Through pranayama, through mantra, through tantra, wielding an indomitable will, the last forces of form, time and space subside, as the yogi, deep in nirvikalpa samadhi, merges into Parashiva.

The Vedas say, "He is God, hidden in all beings, their inmost soul who is in all. He watches the works of creation, lives in all things, watches all things. He is pure consciousness, beyond the three conditions of nature." Aum Namah Sivaya.

Parameshvara is the uncreated, ever-existent Primal Soul, Siva-Sakti, creator and supreme ruler of Mahadevas and beings of all three worlds. Abiding in His creation, our personal Lord rules from within, not from above. Aum.

Namaste