PDA

View Full Version : hello all

Sherab
15 July 2009, 11:33 PM
Namaste,

I am new here, and interested about hinduism. First off, i want to mention that I am a 18 year old male, and for the past 4 years, i have been a tantric buddhist - that is, a "vajrayana" buddhist. I have been doing the preliminaries for tantra. However, i have felt that the LOVE of Buddha dharma has been lost in rules, vows, and other such things, and not so much on LOVE and doing things out of LOVE.... in short, it became work.

So now, i am looking at hinduism, and i have read "The complete idiots guide to hinduism" written by an american hindu. It has been a basic read, and very good, easy to read, and insightful. However, i am not sure how to exactly PRACTICE hinduism, and what to do.. what prayers, what mantras, and so on... I will go at my own speed, and with LOVE...

So, in short, i guess I am asking for... a little more advanced info on HINDUISM - SANATA DHARMA, and how to PRACTICE Hinduism... I also have a copy of the GITA and am going through that slowly, to understand...

It is not that i am POOR student in my former class, i just do not feel the same way anymore, and seeing as Hindus are very open minded, i can still hold faith in Padmasambhava, and avalokiteshvara, and so on...

thank you all!

- Sherab\Prajna

Eastern Mind
16 July 2009, 06:47 AM
Welcome to this forum. There is an abundance of information here in past posts, so searching may get your questions answered. Practice... well, if you're looking for a shortcut to the Self, Hinduism won't get you there, hard work (practice) will. But don't be afraid to ask questions either.

We have three aspects, each on its own would keep Hinduism going. Temples, scripture, and Godmen (gurus). So if you have any particular inclination in study, well go there.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
16 July 2009, 07:53 AM
Namaste Sherab,

i am not sure how to exactly PRACTICE hinduism, and what to do.. what prayers, what mantras, and so on... I will go at my own speed, and with LOVE...

So, in short, i guess I am asking for... a little more advanced info on HINDUISM - SANATA DHARMA, and how to PRACTICE Hinduism... I also have a copy of the GITA and am going through that slowly, to understand...

I would recommend that you read Gita to start with. It is extremely difficult to define & describe what you are looking for. It is not one path, one doctrine .... there is no path which is not there in Hinduism. Hindus have tried all possible ways to know the Truth & therefore, I don't think anyone can tell you everything about Hinduism. I am a Hindu by birth & I am not aware of many things in Hinduism though I have been very active in spirituality since my childhood. If the other religions are rivers Hinduism is like Ocean. However, in nutshell & as many scholars have agreed, " A Hindu is one who believes in the authority of the Vedas".

Mainly there are three accepted paths :

a) Bhakti-Yoga ( The path of devotion to God)
b) Karma-Yoga ( The path of action )
c) Jnana-Yoga ( The path of Knowledge)

IMO, it is better to start with Bhakti/devotion, unless you are advanced in spirituality. Gita has all the three yogas with emphasis on Bhakti & Karma. Attaining Jnana (getting enlightened) is the final destination .... incidently, as you are familiar with Buddhism .... Buddhism is more or less similar to Jnana-Yoga. Swami Vivekananda, Ramkrishna Paramhans, Paramhans Yogananda ji etc. advise a path which contains a mixture of Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga with emphasis on Jnana Yoga. This allows you to have the grace & guidance of God when in need, living skillfully in the world without getting affected by the Karmas & attaining Jnana in a well-guided manner.

You may read books written by Swami Vivekananda & Paramhans Yogananda to have a complete picture. You may also read about Kashmir Shaivism ... Sri Abhinav Gupta's works .... or Shiva Sutras ... Sri Lakhsmana joo's works etc. It all depends on what appeals you. All paths finally lead to the same destination.

OM

Sherab
16 July 2009, 11:30 AM
Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.

Oddly, yesterday, i bought the "Autobiography of a yogi" by paramhansa yogananada... a very good read, which has me spending my time in simple meditation, chanting the name of Rama, and of course, i as i am very un-flexible, i will be looking at Asana. This will do, as i learn more.. others, at different forums have suggested i learn the history of the vedas, etc.

So, it looks like i have more study to do, and some practice.

thank you all, and please continue to give your advice!

Namaste.

Ekanta
16 July 2009, 12:38 PM
"history of the vedas"? Isnt the "message of the vedas" better? My advice would be simple: Read some books by highly developed souls, devotee mentioned a few (those will inspire, others are just dry). Decide on one practice and do it. Its said that the practice which inspires your heart is right. Its also said that doing a lot of different stuff and constantly changing is like digging a hole here and there, it will not get very deep. Thats all for now. Good luck.

Sherab
16 July 2009, 01:28 PM
"history of the vedas"? Isnt the "message of the vedas" better? My advice would be simple: Read some books by highly developed souls, devotee mentioned a few (those will inspire, others are just dry). Decide on one practice and do it. Its said that the practice which inspires your heart is right. Its also said that doing a lot of different stuff and constantly changing is like digging a hole here and there, it will not get very deep. Thats all for now. Good luck.

Thank you.

Does anybody know good books on Ganesha puja?

I was just wondering, as the one i found, "loving ganesha" seemed very new age.. and wnated something better.

thanks,
prajna

Eastern Mind
16 July 2009, 04:36 PM
Thank you.

I was just wondering, as the one i found, "loving ganesha" seemed very new age..

thanks,
prajna

How so? Your definition of 'new age'?

Znanna
16 July 2009, 08:11 PM
Namaste, welcome,

I'm not a regulation anything, just so ya know ...

but, I'd say that for Sri Ganesha my best experience has been direct meditation/devotion and chance :)

That you are here, now, is all that matters!

XOXO
ZN

Sherab
16 July 2009, 08:38 PM
How so? Your definition of 'new age'?
That a certain hindu teacher was in Hawaii, making strange connections between an indigenous hawaiian god, also being ganesh in a different form, and receiving letters from him, signed by him, in visions.

Also, i found the replacing different versions of beings to be new age - for example. Osiris=Christ, mary =Isis, and so on, or that Odin is like Christ, and so forth... That type of thing - where one replaces X deity for Y deity, and say that they are the same. It's not that Ganesha is better then the Hawaiian deity - just that, imo, they are not the same being.

It just seemed very.. different.

Sherab
17 July 2009, 12:04 PM
Hello all, does anybody go to this temple, here?

http://www.b-temple.org/temple.htm

thank you all, i also sent them an email.

Eastern Mind
17 July 2009, 03:32 PM
If you go, let us know what its like, even for those of us who might just be travelin' through one day. Have you been to many other Hindu temples? I find that here in North America, they vary a LOT. Basically 2 kinds, roughly generalised as 'North' and 'South'.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
17 July 2009, 03:40 PM
If you go, let us know what its like, even for those of us who might just be travelin' through one day. Have you been to many other Hindu temples? I find that here in North America, they vary a LOT. Basically 2 kinds, roughly generalised as 'North' and 'South'.

Aum Namasivaya
Thank you.

What are the differences?

Eastern Mind
17 July 2009, 03:49 PM
It would take a long time to explain. Most are north. Closest South Indian style I can think of is in Flushing New York. Or perhaps the Balaji one in Pittsburgh. Certain types of Indians (those locked into their own ethnocentricity) like to feel that their particular brand is the only way.

An examples of a difference would be the casual conversation spoken by devotees. (Rites will be in Sanskrit) In the North Indian style, it'll most likely be Hindi. In the South style ones, chances are it'll be Tamil. Course you might hear other languages, but those two would be spoken by the majority, but dependant on who is there. Individual cultural/linguistic groups often builfd temples.

Sherab
17 July 2009, 04:03 PM
It would take a long time to explain. Most are north. Closest South Indian style I can think of is in Flushing New York. Or perhaps the Balaji one in Pittsburgh. Certain types of Indians (those locked into their own ethnocentricity) like to feel that their particular brand is the only way.

An examples of a difference would be the casual conversation spoken by devotees. (Rites will be in Sanskrit) In the North Indian style, it'll most likely be Hindi. In the South style ones, chances are it'll be Tamil. Course you might hear other languages, but those two would be spoken by the majority, but dependant on who is there. Individual cultural/linguistic groups often builfd temples.

I see. thank you. :)

I wish I had more talk about, but i think i would need a priest or something...

Eastern Mind
17 July 2009, 05:15 PM
Another difference. In the North Indian style the pandit, or priest also may lecture, so you would be more likely to have a conversation. In the South Indian style, priests focus more on elaborate rites, and discussing/etc. sn't really part of their job description. I am generalising, of course. I think the ones that try to 'have it all' lose something in the process. I like sectarianism. Makes things more interesting.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
17 July 2009, 05:28 PM
Another difference. In the North Indian style the pandit, or priest also may lecture, so you would be more likely to have a conversation. In the South Indian style, priests focus more on elaborate rites, and discussing/etc. sn't really part of their job description. I am generalising, of course. I think the ones that try to 'have it all' lose something in the process. I like sectarianism. Makes things more interesting.

Aum Namasivaya

I agree, and actually, im trying to figure out how to practice hinduism outwardly, not just internally - im doing asana, and meditation, and being mindful, and reading the gita and other hindu books.. but when can i move onto puja, and stuff?

Maybe "move on" is not the right word, i think you need a teacher to learn how to do puja :)

Eastern Mind
17 July 2009, 05:44 PM
I don't think you don't need a teacher, but others will vary. The simplest puja is a waving of an oil lamp 3 times clockwise in front of a picture or murthy chanting "Aum" and placing a flower offering to the murthy. Its the heartfelt devotion that counts. God's presence should be felt more there and then. Gee, if you were here, I could take you to the temple I frequent. We're going tonight. It is a South Indian style Ganesha temple.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
17 July 2009, 06:18 PM
I don't think you don't need a teacher, but others will vary. The simplest puja is a waving of an oil lamp 3 times clockwise in front of a picture or murthy chanting "Aum" and placing a flower offering to the murthy. Its the heartfelt devotion that counts. God's presence should be felt more there and then. Gee, if you were here, I could take you to the temple I frequent. We're going tonight. It is a South Indian style Ganesha temple.

Aum Namasivaya

Ah, i really do love ganesha, and i wish i could go. In fact, even as a Buddhist, i found a ganesha sutra the buddha taught, and recited the dharani in it.

Spiritualseeker
18 July 2009, 07:08 AM
Namaste,

Im surprised you dont like the book "loving Ganesha" it was very helpful to me. The letters that Lord Ganesha supposedly revealed were in a vision. Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami was in a state focusing on the third eye and he saw the vision. Many hindus and buddhist experience visions of deities and receive teachings. I am reading Tibetan yogis of dream and sleep and it speaks of deities coming in visions to teach and warn.

I am not sure about the haiwan God thing.... but it is quite possible since Hindus do say that hinduism was spread to all corners of the world. Perhaps thats why it seems like some mayans had yogic hand mudras in their images. We would have to learn more about that haiwan God to see if perhaps it is similar or identicle to Lord Ganesha. If you do read that book from beginning to the end i think you will benefit. Plus you can learn the ganesha visualization and mantras.

Sherab
18 July 2009, 07:47 AM
Namaste,

Im surprised you dont like the book "loving Ganesha" it was very helpful to me. The letters that Lord Ganesha supposedly revealed were in a vision. Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami was in a state focusing on the third eye and he saw the vision. Many hindus and buddhist experience visions of deities and receive teachings. I am reading Tibetan yogis of dream and sleep and it speaks of deities coming in visions to teach and warn.

I am not sure about the haiwan God thing.... but it is quite possible since Hindus do say that hinduism was spread to all corners of the world. Perhaps thats why it seems like some mayans had yogic hand mudras in their images. We would have to learn more about that haiwan God to see if perhaps it is similar or identicle to Lord Ganesha. If you do read that book from beginning to the end i think you will benefit. Plus you can learn the ganesha visualization and mantras.
I just don't quite feel it honestly, but part of it has stuck to me, so to speak, so...

Maybe i will read it again after this mandala series of hinduism today. :)

Spiritualseeker
18 July 2009, 04:21 PM
namaste,

great tell me if you find any other good books on Lord Ganesha.

Sherab
18 July 2009, 04:30 PM
namaste,

great tell me if you find any other good books on Lord Ganesha.

I cannot find any others, but maybe if i omit that part of the story, i may still derive benefit from the book.

thank you!

Sherab
23 July 2009, 01:00 AM
Hi all,

I want to add that "autobiography of a yogi" is really, a bad book. All it talks about is miracles, and kriya yoga. Hinduism is more then levitating and keeping secrets IMO.

and i heard a few years ago that 1/3 of the self realization fellowships monastics left.

In any case, looking for it on amazon.com and clicking the 1 star reviews will share my feelings exactly.

In any case, my next purchase is "what is hinduism?" by the editors of hinduism today. Very good stuff :)

devotee
23 July 2009, 02:58 AM
Namaste Sherab,

I want to add that "autobiography of a yogi" is really, a bad book. All it talks about is miracles, and kriya yoga. Hinduism is more then levitating and keeping secrets IMO.

and i heard a few years ago that 1/3 of the self realization fellowships monastics left.

In any case, looking for it on amazon.com and clicking the 1 star reviews will share my feelings exactly.

I find your post in bad taste. I don't know what prompts you to remarks so against that book. The book contains miracles & talks about Kriya Yoga. However, what do you expect in an "autobiography" of a yogi ? The Yogi can only say what happened in his life & cannot talk about anything else. You must see this book keeping in mind that Maharishi Yogananda had a challenging task for him to spread the knowledge of Yoga / Vedanta in a completely alien country which looked down upon Hinduism in majority.

Maharishi Yogananda is called "Paramhans" --- please know that this title is conferred only to those who are Self-realised. You consider yourself so high as compared to a Self-Realised Guru to speak in such a derogatory tones ?

Regarding critiques of SRF, please bear in mind that whenever there will be an organisation, there will always be some people in favour & some against that organisation. Most of the critiques are planted by Church to ensure that Church's business is not affected by spread of Yoga. There are some others who are expelled by SRF for their indisciplined behaviour & were considered unfit for the fellowship. There are many drug-addicts & poor souls in West who get attracted to Yoga, Buddhism, Vedanta & are benefited by its teachings .... however, they are not always able to keep themselves in discipline. SRF is normally very strict on that. So, if that bothers you, it is ok.

"Autobigraphy of a Yogi" is written only to attract people to the fold of Yoga as "miracles" do attract the western mindset. You may read Maharishi Yogananda's other books & decide how good or bad it is. After my study of various scriptures & books of many saints within Hindusim & Buddhism I find SRF's course the best one.

OM

Eastern Mind
23 July 2009, 06:59 AM
Sherab: just a point of advice on tact here. if you preface such statements with, "In my opinion" such and such is a 'bad' book. It will come across better emotionally. After all, that is what it is, your opinion. Usually then others will react back in more polite ways, even though they are offended.

Regarding the telling of visions and miracles:

Visions and miracles are really quite common, not just with beings like Yogananada and Subramuniyaswami. but also with many common folk. But teachers, because they are teachers, and are usually under instructions from their own gurus to share this type of wisdom. So they, being obedient devotees as well, often have no choice. Ordinary people, on the other hand, usually keep these things to themselves. At least that is the general instruction by these mystical teachers. Not all are able to because of ego, and out it comes.

Often even more of the miraculous pours out after the teacher is deceased. Then we hear of more siddhis.

My main point is that part of Hinduism (Some would argue 'most' or 'all') is deeply deeply mystical. Kundalini, bursts of white light, seeing of auras, chakras, clairvoyance, clairaudience, and being able to alter someone else's ida, pingala, and sushumna currents are all part of the Dharma. Its in ancient texts like Patanjali's or Tirumular's great work.

There is no 'logical proof' in this stuff. But here is a story I was told to illustrate why people believe. A humble goatherd walks the same path to his pasture every day for 20 years and more. There is a bend in the corner of the trail. Each day, before the bend, an old man sitting beside the road informs him things like. "There is a white car parked on the left side of the road. Two people are in it." or "There are wolf tracks crossing the road going towards the goats." "Tonight your wife will feed you an eggplant curry." Each day for 20 years the statements are true. So the goatherd comes to rely on the words of the old man. Then one day he says, "I saw Lord Ganesha sitting on the branch ot that tree over there. He was watching you in a curious way."
Now what is the goatherd to think?
What would a total stranger think?

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
23 July 2009, 08:24 AM
Namaste,

Dear sherab, I find that perhaps your too critical when you read books. You criticized Loving Ganesha. Ofcourse not everybody will agree on a book, but it seems the majority of us love this work and YOgananda works. You have to empty your mind it is full. Just look with an open mind. OPen your heart. If we are too critical we become close minded. Trust me I know this, I was a muslim for 7 years. Very close minded for a good bit of my life. Anyways good luck with your quest

Sherab
23 July 2009, 09:28 AM
devotee: That makes a lot more sense, thank you. But i do find opening the book with a bunch of different miracles, and later, "creating a palace" to be way to much of the whole miracle deal. It's this i have an issue with - I know miracles happen, they exist, but this book is chock full of them, and is not quite my taste. However, I also did learn a lot from the book - such as the culture surrounding bengal and india, and other stuff.

For me, miracles arent a sign of progress, but how much ones mind has changed/is attuned to God. You could do no miracles, love God, and still be great.

Eastern Mind: Thank you for the advice, and i think opening the book with tons of miracles, as i said earlier, is a major fault, in my opinion. Either it will attract some (I thought it was okay, it kept me reading) but some will just not read it.

Of course i agree with all of that. however, this book again - way to full of that stuff, IMO. it'd be nice if it was just put that stuff behind in small passing. It is not a bad book, i just feel the attention of the early part, and a few chapters, could be spent more on normal autobiographical things. Maybe it's only because i haven't read much of anything else in Hinduism, that I can't really "digest" all the things in the book.

SS: Thank you, i will keep that in mind. My next purchase, and a book i do like is "What is Hinduism" by the guys who publish Hinduism Today - also the same one who have to do with Loving Ganesha. I will have to look at that one again.

I wish to remind everyone that i have a lot of "baggage" and i've only been here and reading hinduism for maybe a few weeks to a month now - I really know *nothing* and i have to adjust a bit.

Thanks,
Sherab

Eastern Mind
23 July 2009, 09:46 AM
Sherab: Hey you're on the right track, in my opinion. Others, in this situation, may have responded angrily, or quit HDF altogether. Patience is a virtue after all. BTW, I totally concur that the miracle aspect shouldn't be first and foremost. Living a dharmic lifestyle should be.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
23 July 2009, 09:54 AM
Sherab: Hey you're on the right track, in my opinion. Others, in this situation, may have responded angrily, or quit HDF altogether. Patience is a virtue after all. BTW, I totally concur that the miracle aspect shouldn't be first and foremost. Living a dharmic lifestyle should be.

Aum Namasivaya

thank you EM. By the way, where should i put inquiries about items such as books, malas, and puja items? Just wondering because i will be needing some advice from the people here... :)

example is the books at rudraksha-ratna.com :)

Eastern Mind
23 July 2009, 10:04 AM
Where are you in the US? Most large cities have shops where you can buy this kind of stuff. An example of higher quality stuff that is available is here:
http://www.minimela.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=547&zenid=amdiop1k55ngddmkc5ne55b6m6

Sherab
23 July 2009, 10:30 AM
Where are you in the US? Most large cities have shops where you can buy this kind of stuff. An example of higher quality stuff that is available is here:
http://www.minimela.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=547&zenid=amdiop1k55ngddmkc5ne55b6m6

Eastern Mind, I am in pennsylvania - right near the Easton area. Surrounding cities include Bethlehem, Allentown, etc.