PDA

View Full Version : Hello there! [new here]

Star
19 July 2009, 08:52 AM
Namaste :)

Hi everyone, I'm new here and would like to introduce myself. I'm a 19-year-old girl currently living in Lisbon (Portugal), though I did live quite a few years in the United Kingdom - where I first knew about Hinduism.

Coming from a fairly "religious" Roman Catholic family, for years and years I was forced to go to church every Sunday. I found Christianity to be very stale and just "not right" for me, but often I was slapped in the face by my father should I refuse to go to church with them, and got dragged there anyway. Since about 1-2 years ago, they started going to church less and less, though they still do go ocasionally (and I'm then forced to go too, under physical threats). Yet I feel the call of Hinduism, as it is, a religion of LOVE and PEACE.

A few weeks ago I discovered my local Hindu temple (the Radha Krishna Temple), and I've spent a lot of time outside it, sitting down in absolute silence and peace (it's amazing how it's such a beautiful, peaceful, calm place, even though it's in the middle of a big city). I haven't gone into the temple yet, I really want to but I'm somewhat scared I might be unworthy of it. I do peek through the windows, sometimes. I've signed up for kathak classes there (they have a big complex which includes the temple, a vegetarian restaurant, etc.) which start tomorrow, perhaps I'll gain the courage to enter the Temple then.

I really want to talk with someone from the Temple as well, but I don't really know how to approach them, I'm so scared of doing something wrong.

If someone could give me guidance on how to approach them, and how to follow my way into Hinduism, I'd appreciate a lot. Thanks everyone.

Sherab
19 July 2009, 11:05 AM
Hi Star,

I am in the same place as you (almost 19, in the USA however) and i am also stuck. Just do what you think is right, and everyone there should be understanding. If you DO decide to enter the temple, make sure to take off your shoes (and maybe socks), and wash your hands as well. From there, well, not much i can suggest.

Here's what I did:

I e-mailed the place i am going to about my interest, before i went. I cannot wait to go, but it will be smoother for me if i did that first - its a LONG drive there. In any case, you can probably explain to anyone there what you need - you may want to talk to someone (a female, preferably) around your age. There is a small chance that someone may not be 100% up on English, and it would be better said in hindi/tamil/etc. .

Of course, that has been my experience with Sikh Gurdwaras (everyone speaks punjabi practically) .

Overall, just be relaxed, and just tell someone how you feel. I bet you've held in the feeling of wanting to be hindu, to be at a temple in way to long to say nothing. :)

Love,
Prajna

Star
19 July 2009, 11:31 AM
Hi Prajna, :)

I've found someone who also lives in Lisbon through this forum and I've sent this person an email. Perhaps this will help. (I did actually try and email the temple (so to say), but there's no email address on their website and their online form doesn't work very well...)

My local temple isn't open all day, it's open twice in a day - something like 8-10am and 7-9pm. Last time I was there I saw the man who was closing it as he was going away. Hopefully soon I'll be able to go talk to him! I guess having kathak classes may help as I'll be going there every day. I'm quite looking forward to that, actually! :D

Oh, and it just crossed my mind...I'm sorry if this sounds terribly silly or unknowledgeful, but should I cover my head/hair before I go into the temple? I already knew about taking off my shoes and washing hands, as there are facilities for that just next to the temple, but I'm unsure about the hair issue...once again, I'm sorry if it's a dumb question to ask.

Eastern Mind
19 July 2009, 11:51 AM
Welcome. There are no dumb questions. In most Hindu temples, it is not a law to cover your head. In some North Indian style temples , some of the women do cover their head. If it were me, I'd talk to someone first. You seem sort of shy. No one would take offense, though, especially if you just showed up, and walked right in. Well, I shouldn't say no one. There are still a few traditional die-hards, but they are few and far between. It seems interesting to me that you can sit outside and 'feel' it. That is a very Hindu concept.

Just for your information, I am a western white Hindu as well, M55, and I first started practising Hinduism in about 1974 or so. At my temple I occasionally serve as a guide to newcomers. Its usually spontaneous, but sometimes college interfaith classes will book tours or field trips.

Hopefully the person on this forum from Lisbon will be a real big help. That's always the best way. Before you go, take bath, and perhaps take a simple flower offering for the Gods. best wishes, and please keep us all informed.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
19 July 2009, 12:19 PM
Hi Prajna, :)

I've found someone who also lives in Lisbon through this forum and I've sent this person an email. Perhaps this will help. (I did actually try and email the temple (so to say), but there's no email address on their website and their online form doesn't work very well...)

My local temple isn't open all day, it's open twice in a day - something like 8-10am and 7-9pm. Last time I was there I saw the man who was closing it as he was going away. Hopefully soon I'll be able to go talk to him! I guess having kathak classes may help as I'll be going there every day. I'm quite looking forward to that, actually! :D

Oh, and it just crossed my mind...I'm sorry if this sounds terribly silly or unknowledgeful, but should I cover my head/hair before I go into the temple? I already knew about taking off my shoes and washing hands, as there are facilities for that just next to the temple, but I'm unsure about the hair issue...once again, I'm sorry if it's a dumb question to ask.
im actually not sure.. what is kathak? :)

and eastern mind answered your question.

Welcome to the forums!

Star
19 July 2009, 12:29 PM
I shall make use of Wikipedia here:

Kathak (Hindi: कथक, Urdu: کتھک) is one of the eight forms of Indian classical dances, originated from northern India. This dance form traces its origins to the the nomadic bards of ancient northern India, known as Kathaks, or story tellers. These bards, performing in village squares and temple courtyards, mostly specialized in recounting mythological and moral tales from the scriptures, and embellished their recitals with hand gestures and facial expressions. It was quintessential theatre, using instrumental and vocal music along with stylized gestures, to enliven the stories. Its form today contains traces of temple and ritual dances, and the influence of the bhakti movement. From the 16th century onwards the strong impact of the Persian dance of the Mughal courts is readily discernible.

I found out about the classes as there was a flyer about it on the noticeboard just outside the temple. And as they only start at 7.30pm (temple opens at 7) I still get half an hour of "temple time" if I do decide to go in eventually. I think I will!

Also, just thought I'd say - I'm loving this forum so far, I've read a fair amount of threads now (on my way to becoming an addict, I think...) and it's actually extremely useful!

Eastern Mind
19 July 2009, 12:39 PM
Hello again. I had another thought about your temple. If its a Hare Krishna temple, and some European devotees are there, you may encounter proselytising disguised as friendliness. Just thought you should know that that is not representative of Hindus in general, just the Hare Krishnas.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
19 July 2009, 12:46 PM
Hello again. I had another thought about your temple. If its a Hare Krishna temple, and some European devotees are there, you may encounter proselytising disguised as friendliness. Just thought you should know that that is not representative of Hindus in general, just the Hare Krishnas.

Aum Namasivaya
Yes, for some reason, they seem to equate krishna with christ.. or am i mistaken?

Star
19 July 2009, 02:21 PM
I'll remember that, thank you. :) I've never seen any Hare Krishnas around here, though I remember there being a fair amount of them back in England...

And the person I had email has replied already(!), it was a huge help actually. Seems like it's a Vaishnava temple, though it does have some Shaiva idols.

On another note, I've just got back from church...urgh...I sat there with my eyes closed and prayed to Ganesha anyway, it was the best I could do given the circunstances.

Ekanta
19 July 2009, 02:53 PM
You know... Jesus is called Isa in Islam. Isa is another name for Isvara, i.e. Shiva. Some even say Jesus original name was Isa. Just cheer u up a bit... when you are in the "terrible" church.
But anyway, I guess its best to adore that which is approved by the heart. Good luck to you.

Eastern Mind
19 July 2009, 03:04 PM
I'll remember that, thank you. :) I've never seen any Hare Krishnas around here, though I remember there being a fair amount of them back in England...

And the person I had email has replied already(!), it was a huge help actually. Seems like it's a Vaishnava temple, though it does have some Shaiva idols.

On another note, I've just got back from church...urgh...I sat there with my eyes closed and prayed to Ganesha anyway, it was the best I could do given the circunstances.

Boy its tough. Nineteen with parents who are on a different path. Wow. Brings back memories. I returned my father's gift of a rifle at about that age. Probably a bit younger. I'm glad the forum member responded. When I go to churches (weddings funerals, rarely) I always chant "Aum Namasivaya" mentally.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
19 July 2009, 03:08 PM
Yes, for some reason, they seem to equate Krishna with Christ.. or am i mistaken?

As far as I know they don't equate Christ with Krishna officially. But I do believe personally they have these types of problems amongst the converts because they retained this aspect of Christianity that says "my way is the right way."

Aum Namasivaya

Star
19 July 2009, 03:19 PM
When I go to churches (weddings funerals, rarely) I always chant "Aum Namasivaya" mentally.

That is a wonderful idea, I'll surely remember to do this next time.

I had to go with my grandmother this time, she's even more extreme than my parents...even on the way to church and back she goes on about how anyone who doesn't believe in/follow Jesus will die and rot/burn forever in hell, etc... :/

Sherab
19 July 2009, 03:42 PM
That is a wonderful idea, I'll surely remember to do this next time.

I had to go with my grandmother this time, she's even more extreme than my parents...even on the way to church and back she goes on about how anyone who doesn't believe in/follow Jesus will die and rot/burn forever in hell, etc... :/

Oh well, i guess she doesnt believe in the "sow what you reap"... If so, she would love everyone.

Galatians 6:7-8
Be not deceived; God is not mocked:
for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption;
but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Matthew 7
12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men
should do to you, do ye even so to them:
for this is the law of the prophets.

Spiritualseeker
19 July 2009, 03:54 PM
Namaste,

Star I dont think you or anyone else is unworthy of entering the Temple. We are not separate from God. The problem is the soul thinks it is the body so we are stuck in this ignorance until we remove maya (illusions) and realize we are not separate from that One Truth the Absolute Ultimate Reality that is beyond name and Form. You are that. I am that. We are all that. So enter no matter what wrongs or "sins" you have commited. We go through many incarnations for evolution. We are all evolving some of us may go backwards but for some of us we will go foward until one day (perhaps in this lifetime in this moment) we can realize we are not separate from God.

If you read the Bhagavad Gita with the explanation of Yogananda and his student I think you will learn some great truths that you dont have to "believe" in instead you can actually apply them to see if they are true. See unlike other religions Hinduism does not lure you in and then when you have doubts you cannot ask questions like in islam and christianity. Instead you can apply the so called truths and see if they really are truths.

Personally concerning you going to church I would just try to go there without aversion or attachment. When we are aversed to it we just magnify the pain of being through the sermon and singing or whatever they may do. Also sometimes we can go to another extreme and start saying we are HINDUS and therefore have greater knowledge then these people at church. We should be careful because this sows more negative seeds in our subconcious and only holds us back from God Realization.

Just my opinion, but do remember an opinion is a bundle of thoughts and thoughts are not who we are :)

Star
19 July 2009, 04:05 PM
I'm currently trying to get ahold of a paper Bhagavad Gita, I've found a few online but I guess I prefer the good old feel a physical book.

In your opinion, would it be "better" (I do realise that the concept of better/worse is highly subjective...) to, while having to attend church, going in and attempting to be totally detached from everything, or going in and silently pray to Lord Ganesha and/or mentally chanting a mantra?

Sherab
19 July 2009, 04:16 PM
I'm currently trying to get ahold of a paper Bhagavad Gita, I've found a few online but I guess I prefer the good old feel a physical book.

In your opinion, would it be "better" (I do realise that the concept of better/worse is highly subjective...) to, while having to attend church, going in and attempting to be totally detached from everything, or going in and silently pray to Lord Ganesha and/or mentally chanting a mantra?

Whichever one you feel at the moment sounds like a good idea to me, IMO.

this is for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TUReGb_bYY

Eastern Mind
19 July 2009, 05:28 PM

In my opinion, praying to Lord Ganesha is the way to go. But then I'm not your scripture kind of guy. You can read all of Himalayan Academy's stuff on line as well, but they are from a Saiva perspective. (My perspective as well) But I also believe in Hindu Solidarity: that is that Hindu groups should try to get along and support each other. And just so you know, not all Hindus hold the Gita as THE scripture. Western media and the evangelising ideas of certain Gaudiya Vaishnava subsects mentioned earlier have contributed to this. Sects vary on this. The Vedas are common to all, but not the Gita, although it has sort of been the Chosen one from later scripture. I have nothing at all against it, but it isn't my primary scripture.

Having said all this, I don't think we Hindus are in the business of adding to family disharmony, or trying to convert you. I wouldn't want to make your family situation worse. Perhaps you could rededictae yourself to Catholicism, and see what happens. My wife and I were both in similar situations , living at home, before we got married. I remember my father saying, "What the hell is that smell?" referring to incense I had lit. So we both just sort of lay low until we were able to move out. t least you can look here to moral support.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
19 July 2009, 06:28 PM
Namaste,

After making my mistake of causing discord in my family by my ego clinging to Islam (I practiced islam for 7 years) my non religious christian family took issues with my conversion and it only fed my ego to rebel. So I sincerely ask you to have compassion and Love for your family despite their harsh treatment or bible thumping. We can recognize that the reason why people behave this way is they are acting out their conditioned Karma from collective ignorance of over thousands of years.

If I were you (which we all are one on the deeper subtlest level of experience) then I would try to detach from the emotions (not suppress them) but simply detach knowing that you are the witniss to the emotions and simply act with kindness even when your at church. Also as eastern mind mention praying to Lord Ganesha is the way to go. Visualize him and whisper in his right ear your request. Know that one of Lord Ganesha power is family stability. Dont fall into the abyss of discord and bitterness. Remember the broken Tusk that Lord ganesha holds represents that he is the refuge for all. His belly is the cosmos itself. Lord Ganesha flows through us and we through Him. There is no separation. He is closer to us than our breath and we are closer to him aswell.

Everyplace on earth or outside of earth can be a Temple of the Worship of Lord Siva (or Lord Vishnu) whomever you prefer.
http://www.askganesha.com/images/ask-ganesha.jpg

You may want to recite this beautiful Mantra "Om Gam Ganapatye Namaha" You can listen to this youtube video to learn how to pronounce it correctly if you dont know already http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h2rFVPCSPE
This mantra helps me to calm my mind and to connect with that Divine Spirit that is within all.

OM Namah Sivaya
OM Namah Buddhaya
-Juan

Star
20 July 2009, 04:32 AM
Namaste,

That is a beautiful mantra, I've started trying to commit it to memory.

I woke up with a very auspicious feeling today, especially after I sat up and mentally said my little own made-up morning prayer to Lord Ganesha, that he may give me wisdom to succeed in my exam today (I have a really important one), and that he may soon guide me into the temple. I have such a huge feeling of happiness and peace today, it's actually kind of scary, I feel like I might just burst out crying with joy or something!, but it feels good, very very good. :)

When I go out today I'll try and find myself a small statue of Lord Ganesha and some incense to aid my meditation. He is particularly fond of any type of incense in particular?

Once again, thanks so much to everyone here, you've been such a huge help on helping me follow the way to Sanatana Dharma.

Eastern Mind
20 July 2009, 05:54 AM
Namaste,

That is a beautiful mantra, I've started trying to commit it to memory.

I woke up with a very auspicious feeling today, especially after I sat up and mentally said my little own made-up morning prayer to Lord Ganesha, that he may give me wisdom to succeed in my exam today (I have a really important one), and that he may soon guide me into the temple. I have such a huge feeling of happiness and peace today, it's actually kind of scary, I feel like I might just burst out crying with joy or something!, but it feels good, very very good. :)

When I go out today I'll try and find myself a small statue of Lord Ganesha and some incense to aid my meditation. He is particularly fond of any type of incense in particular?

Once again, thanks so much to everyone here, you've been such a huge help on helping me follow the way to Sanatana Dharma.

Wonderful. I like the made up prayers the best. Then you REALLY understand the meanings of all the words. So does He. Sanskrit does sound beautiful. Crying is good. You see lots of people crying around temples. Cries of joy, melancholy, spirituality, feelings of just being so very very blessed. I think He likes the incense that You like.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
20 July 2009, 07:57 AM
Namaste,

I hope youd do well on your exam. May the Devas direct your pen.

YOu might be interested in reading this http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/dws/dws_mandala-04.html concerning the nature of God. I find it very beneficial and helps my depression and anxieties. I hope you will benefit aswell.

OM
-juan

Znanna
20 July 2009, 08:53 PM
Namaste,

I suggest approaching the temple and its residents in a subdued manner.

A large shawl/veil wrapped around, will allow you to have your own private space, and also to be demure in uncertain surroundings. It has the added advantage of being PC under most any scrutiny as well as protecting and deflecting attention from you.

ZN/practical

Star
21 July 2009, 06:12 AM
Namaste,

Eastern Mind, it's quite true what you said about incense...I must say it hadn't crossed my mind yes. But yes - if God is in everything, and everything is in God, then nothing is separate from God...and thus I like the incense God likes, just like He likes the incense I like. Well, at least that's how I saw it now. :)

Spiritualseeker, thanks so much for that link - I've just read through all of it, though I'll need to read it a few more times (at least!) in order to try and absorb all of that (or well, as much as I can anyway).

Znanna, I quite liked your veil/shawl idea and will do that. It will definitely make me feel more confortable in the Temple once I go in.

Yesterday night I had another wonderful experience. I got home at night after my first Kathak lesson, having had dinner out, so when I got in bed it was probably around midnight. Most of my body was very sore and aching from the lesson (it's more tiring than I thought...probably seemed worse as it was my first lesson!) so I decided to (attempt to) do some mantra meditation for a while before going to sleep. I had come across this website (http://www.meditationiseasy.com/mCorner/index.htm) earlier in the day, which I found extremely useful, and thought I'd put some of what I had learnt into practice. I haven't been able to commit any complex mantra to memory yet, so I just mentally said OM slowly, keeping it in pace with my breath, over and over and over again - I don't know for how long, couldn't really keep track of time. Eventually I got this amazing "floating" feeling, and I just wanted to keep going forever! When I was finished, every single ache/pain in my body was gone. I just can't explain it.

Spiritualseeker
21 July 2009, 06:32 AM
Yesterday night I had another wonderful experience. I got home at night after my first Kathak lesson, having had dinner out, so when I got in bed it was probably around midnight. Most of my body was very sore and aching from the lesson (it's more tiring than I thought...probably seemed worse as it was my first lesson!) so I decided to (attempt to) do some mantra meditation for a while before going to sleep. I had come across this website (http://www.meditationiseasy.com/mCorner/index.htm (http://www.meditationiseasy.com/mCorner/index.htm)) earlier in the day, which I found extremely useful, and thought I'd put some of what I had learnt into practice. I haven't been able to commit any complex mantra to memory yet, so I just mentally said OM slowly, keeping it in pace with my breath, over and over and over again - I don't know for how long, couldn't really keep track of time. Eventually I got this amazing "floating" feeling, and I just wanted to keep going forever! When I was finished, every single ache/pain in my body was gone. I just can't explain it.

Namaste,

Thats great there are many great OM mantra meditations. Another good one is breath in and visualize Lord Ganesha and as you breath out say OM 3 times. One time long andlouder, the next one slightly lower than that one, and the third to be lower than both of them. Then breath in and visualize lord ganesha then breath out and do the same as stated above.

The feeling of floating is really common when meditating. Just a suggestion, try not to get caught up with the good feelings that sometimes occur in meditation. The reason why i say this is I have experienced intense bliss and then when I meditate again it had diminished then I created more suffering for myself. The good thing is when you see joy you can simply say to yourself that you are not this feeling you are the witness and when you feel pain or sadness you can say you are the witness of this feeling. Or you can use the technique of saying neti neti (not this not this) meaning this is not God you continue going deeper into meditation no matter what good feelings you feel just know it is not this it is not this. That way you can keep removing the veils of illusion until you experience God directly. :) Please keep letting us know of your progress I hope we all grow strong together.

just a thought
-juan

Spiritualseeker
21 July 2009, 07:55 AM
Namaste,

here is more about OM mantra and Lord Ganesha :) http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/lg/lg_ch-10.html

I am glad that your finding some content with your practice. I see it only strengthening. Soon you will be Godrealized.

Spiritualseeker
23 July 2009, 07:51 PM
namaste,

star how did your exam go? If you dont mind i now request you pray for me I have exam saturday and I havent been studying good enough. May Lord ganesha be with us and may we feel him within us.

Star
24 July 2009, 05:41 PM
Namaste,

Unfortunately I didn't pass (we got the results today), but I wasn't too upset about it as there were around 100 of us and only 20 people made it through. I'll retake the exam in September. May Lord Ganesha help us.

I'll be sure to mention you in my prayers tonight and tomorrow morning, and I sincerely wish you all the best. :)

I was quite pleased today, when we went to Kathak lessons (my mum's going too) we passed by a picture of Lord Ganesha and she wanted to know the history behind Him! Personally, I've read about four versions (by the way, does anyone know which one is the real one? I assumed it varied by region...), so I just told her the stories and what He stood for (as best as I could tell!). She was quite happy and said we should buy a little statue of Him for our house, which is quite odd coming from her!, but it serves my purposes just great as I was planning on buying one anyway (actually I was waiting until I got some more cash so I could afford things, and then on Wednesday my other grandmum randomly gave me €20...which I see as definitely not a coincidence!). :D

Sherab
24 July 2009, 06:25 PM
Namaste,

Unfortunately I didn't pass (we got the results today), but I wasn't too upset about it as there were around 100 of us and only 20 people made it through. I'll retake the exam in September. May Lord Ganesha help us.

I'll be sure to mention you in my prayers tonight and tomorrow morning, and I sincerely wish you all the best. :)

I was quite pleased today, when we went to Kathak lessons (my mum's going too) we passed by a picture of Lord Ganesha and she wanted to know the history behind Him! Personally, I've read about four versions (by the way, does anyone know which one is the real one? I assumed it varied by region...), so I just told her the stories and what He stood for (as best as I could tell!). She was quite happy and said we should buy a little statue of Him for our house, which is quite odd coming from her!, but it serves my purposes just great as I was planning on buying one anyway (actually I was waiting until I got some more cash so I could afford things, and then on Wednesday my other grandmum randomly gave me €20...which I see as definitely not a coincidence!). :D
I like the one where paravati makes a servant to guard her washroom, shiva comes back, lops off the head... and well, ganesha still guards the door of paravati to this day. We need Ganesha to introduce us to paravati - our SHAKTI, our love for Shiva... :)

Spiritualseeker
24 July 2009, 08:32 PM
Namaste,

Namaste,

I am very sorry you did not pass, but I enjoy that you are in good spirits. Lord Ganesha is always with us guiding and protecting the dharma and our true nature.

I see that Lord Ganesha is making your environment more friendly towards your choices and hence why your mother is okay with Lord Ganesha. I was surprised when my wifey allowed me to get a statue hehe.

Your right it isnt a concidence Lord Ganesha sees you as a true servant. He loves you and is inseperable from you. I am really jealous of you (in a good way). May Lord Ganesha keep bostowing his blessings upon you and your family.

Om Gam Ganapatye Namaha
-juan

devotee
25 July 2009, 09:58 PM
I am very sorry you did not pass, but I enjoy that you are in good spirits. Lord Ganesha is always with us guiding and protecting the dharma and our true nature.

Namaste SS & Star,

I see there are many youngsters here & success in the material life is important to them ... and I do believe it is important.

I have found some very good books by Paramhansa Yogananda on how to develop "Dynamic Will" & attract success/things you want. If you are interested, you may read the following :

i) Developing Dynamic Will - by Paramhansa Yogananda ( It is a small booklet. Price may be USD 1 or 2 )
ii) Law of Success - by Paramhansa Yogananda (USD 4.5 at Amazon.com)

Best wishes ...

OM

Spiritualseeker
26 July 2009, 06:27 AM
Namaste,

thank you very much devotee. I have one work of Yogananda that I am reading through right now and he speaks a lot about how we can use the mind to accomplish many great things. It is amazing what we are capable of.

with love
-juan

Eastern Mind
26 July 2009, 08:32 AM
I see there are many youngsters here & success in the material life is important to them ... and I do believe it is important.

I wonder often about 'youngsters' and the connotation it brings. I do understand that you meant it as chronological only. But in terms of wisdom, some oldsters are young, and some youngsters are old, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I feel like an absolute beginner in Hinduism. Other times I feel akin to the ancients. It is interesting to observe everyone's take.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
26 July 2009, 11:32 AM
I wonder often about 'youngsters' and the connotation it brings. I do understand that you meant it as chronological only. But in terms of wisdom, some oldsters are young, and some youngsters are old, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I feel like an absolute beginner in Hinduism. Other times I feel akin to the ancients. It is interesting to observe everyone's take.

:)

OM

Star
26 July 2009, 01:34 PM

I went out yesterday and managed (after doing some looking around the local Indian shops) to get my little statue of Lord Ganesha. It's so beautiful, I'm so so so happy about it. I've placed it on a fairly empty shelf in my bedroom (the only other item there is a flower-shaped candle-holder thingie). I really feel like He's here for me.

I also wanted to get some incense (as I don't know how to perform puja yet) but there was such variety, and I couldn't quite read the labels (I'm guessing they were in Hindi, or similar...), so I couldn't pick one. I could actually do with a word of advice on that if anyone here could help me - I'd like something that smells nicely, maybe a bit sweet, but nothing too strong (as I'll be using it in my bedroom, and being an asthmatic strongs burning smells really don't help). Any ideas?

I've also purchased an ebook version of "The complete idiot's guide to Hinduism" after having read something about it in here. I'm about one-third of the way through right now, it seems like a fairly alright read - for beginners at least. I'm planning on reading the Gita next - though I guess I'll have to get it online too. Would you believe my local book/dvd/CD-etc-store (which is HUGE) doesn't have one single book related to Hinduism?!? Unbelievable!

Eastern Mind
26 July 2009, 02:50 PM
I'm happy Ganesha found you. As far as incense goes, I remember buying 3 or 4 different kinds at first, a little of each. Then by trial and error.. well, you get the picture. But usually you can tell by sniffing the package. As for the asthma, you don't need to burn the whole stick at once, you can just burn a small amount off the end. Enough to get a bit of a scent near where you and Ganesha are sitting together. Then snuff it out, as you would put out a cigarette.

We've always favoured the brown sandalwood types.

I think Himalayan Academy has most of their books on line now, but I'm not sure. Certainly a Ganesh puja is. Saidevo gave the link recently.

Is there only the one temple in Portugal?

Aum Namasivaya

Star
26 July 2009, 03:04 PM
Namaste

Good tips on the incense, for some reason I thought you had to burn a whole stick...silly me. :P

I did check the link, yeah, but I figured perhaps I should learn puja from someone from the Temple? Or is "learning online" just as valid, so as long as I do it properly?

As far as I could tell there's only one temple in Portugal - here in Lisbon (well, I live on the outskirts, but yeah). It striked me as odd at first as I think Portugal had a few colonies in India "back then", but I think some of the Indian community that came over has adopted the Catholic faith (I know there's one Indian man where my mum works, but he has a fully "normal" Portuguese name, and he's a Christian (recently got married in church)).

Eastern Mind
26 July 2009, 05:24 PM
Namaste

Good tips on the incense, for some reason I thought you had to burn a whole stick...silly me. :P

I did check the link, yeah, but I figured perhaps I should learn puja from someone from the Temple? Or is "learning online" just as valid, so as long as I do it properly?

As far as I could tell there's only one temple in Portugal - here in Lisbon (well, I live on the outskirts, but yeah). It striked me as odd at first as I think Portugal had a few colonies in India "back then", but I think some of the Indian community that came over has adopted the Catholic faith (I know there's one Indian man where my mum works, but he has a fully "normal" Portuguese name, and he's a Christian (recently got married in church)).

Learning directly from a person seems nicer, more human, true. Hopefully someone at the temple would have the time, and will to help you out. If not, you can go on line. I don't think it is a question of validity at all. As long as your heart's in it, its valid.

Star
26 July 2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I've read part of the Ganesha puja section on the Loving Ganesha ebook I got linked to earlier in the thread (I haven't had the time to fully read the ebook, only passages off it, but it seems beautiful) and I must say I was rather confused, so it's also probably easier to remember if I see someone actually doing it or teaching me it. The temple here seems rather quiet (at least when I've been around) so hopefully someone there will have time to teach me. I'll try and go there this week still. Is there anything else I need to take, other than a gift I'd like to offer (I'm thinking some flowers :))?

(I've also found some lovely prayers on this ebook and am currently writing them down in pieces of paper so I needn't check the computer all the time when I want to say them.)

Thanks once again to everyone here. :)

Spiritualseeker
26 July 2009, 06:20 PM
Namaste,

I really admire your passion for your new found faith. It seems you have deep love for Lord Ganesha. This will only open the doors to bliss here and now. I pray that Lord Ganesha keeps you in his close care. He is always with you.

-juan

Star
27 July 2009, 09:31 AM
Namaste,

Thanks for your kind words! I have indeed developped such a huge love for Lord Ganesha, it's something I can't even explain... May He always guide us in the path of dharma.

I'm also in the process of chosing a Hindu name for myself, according to my nakshatra/pada (I'm on the 2nd pada of Chitra). I have faith Lord Ganesha will help me choose something I feel right with. :)

(Ohhh, I can't wait until I learn how to do puja so I can do that for Him! *lol*)

Sherab
27 July 2009, 09:57 AM
Namaste,

Thanks for your kind words! I have indeed developped such a huge love for Lord Ganesha, it's something I can't even explain... May He always guide us in the path of dharma.

I'm also in the process of chosing a Hindu name for myself, according to my nakshatra/pada (I'm on the 2nd pada of Chitra). I have faith Lord Ganesha will help me choose something I feel right with. :)

(Ohhh, I can't wait until I learn how to do puja so I can do that for Him! *lol*)
"what is Hinduism" is a good book for Shavites, since Ganesha is Lord Shiva's son :)

Star
27 July 2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks, I've found the online version on the Himalayan Academy website and will make sure to read it. Seems like they have a pretty nice set of online books there! :D

saidevo
27 July 2009, 10:49 AM
Namaste Star.

Your love for Ganesha is amazing! Seems that the magazine 'Hinduism Today' published an article about Ganesha home puja, here's the link:
http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1484

Godspeed on all your efforts of learning and practising our ancient, eternal and universal religion!

Star
27 July 2009, 11:26 AM
Namaste Saidevo,

Thanks a lot for that link, I must say it's the clearest article on Ganesha home puja I've ever seen - the pictures really help, and the fact that it explains what to say (in English) and what to do (hands, gestures, etc.). It'll be really useful! Thank you! :)

Now I'll have to get working on getting my puja set...

(I "accidentally" came across some sandalwood incense at home today I didn't even know we had - little cone-shaped bits, smelled lovely. Lord Ganesha must've guided me towards it, so I burned some for Him...even if I'm dead scared of flames and of burning off my fingertips! :P)

Eastern Mind
27 July 2009, 02:06 PM
It is refreshing to here all the love for Ganesha going on here. I'm off to see Him tonight at our home temple. Wish you could tag along.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
27 July 2009, 02:21 PM
Namaste Saidevo,

Thanks a lot for that link, I must say it's the clearest article on Ganesha home puja I've ever seen - the pictures really help, and the fact that it explains what to say (in English) and what to do (hands, gestures, etc.). It'll be really useful! Thank you! :)

Now I'll have to get working on getting my puja set...

(I "accidentally" came across some sandalwood incense at home today I didn't even know we had - little cone-shaped bits, smelled lovely. Lord Ganesha must've guided me towards it, so I burned some for Him...even if I'm dead scared of flames and of burning off my fingertips! :P)

haha, i had that fear too star! I started burning incense when i was 13, its not so bad - i still have a fear of campfires though!!

but you'll feel more secure with time.

Do you use a lighter (like for cigarettes) or matches?

Star
27 July 2009, 02:23 PM
Wow EM, lucky you! Send Him my love when you see Him. :)

Star
27 July 2009, 02:26 PM
Sherab, I used matches - we usually have the long sort which aren't so bad, but these were pretty tiny so I was rather scared! :P (I was terrified when I had to learn how to use matches for a practical exam in A-Level Chemistry...lol.) I have no idea if a lighter would be easier, I don't actually have a clue how to use one (sad, I know :P).

Sherab
27 July 2009, 02:38 PM
Sherab, I used matches - we usually have the long sort which aren't so bad, but these were pretty tiny so I was rather scared! :P (I was terrified when I had to learn how to use matches for a practical exam in A-Level Chemistry...lol.) I have no idea if a lighter would be easier, I don't actually have a clue how to use one (sad, I know :P).
Ah, i hate using matches. I cant use them. a lighter is easier. you turn the wheel and in the same motion hold down a red lever with your thumb - like these:

http://survivabilitynw.com/images/Bic_Style_Lighter.jpg

In any case, i would be scared to use matches. You should teach me how someday :P

Star
27 July 2009, 02:42 PM
Hm, I'm considering buying a lighter now (no one in my household smokes)! Then I shall proceed to read "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Using A Lighter". :P

And then I'll maybe be able to burn incense and light candles more easily! :D (Oh I also "randomly" came across a small red candle near the sandalwood incense cones...it's a good day!)

Sherab
27 July 2009, 02:47 PM
Hm, I'm considering buying a lighter now (no one in my household smokes)! Then I shall proceed to read "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Using A Lighter". :P

And then I'll maybe be able to burn incense and light candles more easily! :D (Oh I also "randomly" came across a small red candle near the sandalwood incense cones...it's a good day!)
haha you dont need an idiots guide!

BTW about the Hinduism book, its good, but some of the reasons arent actually try. Like why no one climbs mount kailish - she says you dont want to disturb shiva meditating. personally, i dont think we can disturb him. anyways!

haha, and good with the candles. you could even try those tea (light) candles, but those dont re-burn well... the "votive" candles used by catholics work well for relighting :)

Anyways, good luck :) "what is hinduism" is a good book as well, much better too, imo... :)

Star
27 July 2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I've read a couple of things in this book I don't particularly agree with - which is why I find it important to keep a critical spirit in mind when reading books. ;P

I'll definitely read that other book once I'm done with this one (too many books at once and my brain might get confused!).

Would you say the items for the puja bought online are "safe" (ie. works just as well), or would it be better to try and get it from actual shops?

Sherab
27 July 2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I've read a couple of things in this book I don't particularly agree with - which is why I find it important to keep a critical spirit in mind when reading books. ;P

I'll definitely read that other book once I'm done with this one (too many books at once and my brain might get confused!).

Would you say the items for the puja bought online are "safe" (ie. works just as well), or would it be better to try and get it from actual shops?

Well, just make sure you get what you need - im waiting to do puja until i have a guide in person - in "what is hinduism" they have a sample of a ganesha puja with lyrics and images, just like the website.

I'm going to get the stuff i need from rudrakasha-ratna.com, and finding out what I need. It might be cheaper there, and i'll use everything.

And as for the items, yes, they will all work. Some quality might be better, but as long as i have the items, im okay.

And yes, about the books - thats good too. I dont like exclamation marks that much, and i swear theres two per page, at least.

What is Hinduism seems a bit more serious, and has some good images that supplement the reading.

you can read all the parts online if you want at hindudharmaforums.com/library.html :)

Star
27 July 2009, 03:15 PM
Yeah, personally I'd prefer to learn it in person too. It just seems more human...

What you say about exclamations marks is true. The author seems to love them!!!! :P

Great job it's online, too. :D

Sherab
27 July 2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah, personally I'd prefer to learn it in person too. It just seems more human...

What you say about exclamations marks is true. The author seems to love them!!!! :P

Great job it's online, too. :D

well, i'd like to at least use a book in person so i have a guide, and the pictures etc, but its better then nothing.

I think whenever i talk about the idiots guide, i have to use lots of them!!!!!

In fact, in my reply to you on the other thread, i had them after every sentence, but i edited it before i posted it :P

Star
27 July 2009, 05:07 PM
Now you've mentioned the exclamation marks, I can't stop noticed them. :P

I'll just start reading "What is Hinduism" right away instead...sounds like a much better read. Now that I no longer consider myself a "complete idiot" carrying on reading this book (the "guide") just makes me feel weird (and not in a good way).

Sherab
27 July 2009, 05:15 PM
Now you've mentioned the exclamation marks, I can't stop noticed them. :P

I'll just start reading "What is Hinduism" right away instead...sounds like a much better read. Now that I no longer consider myself a "complete idiot" carrying on reading this book (the "guide") just makes me feel weird (and not in a good way).

I agree. Saying that you want to become hindu and carrying an idiots guide makes it look like you not seem so serious... I have no idea why.

haha, and yeah, you did like 5 in a row when you mentioned the author... Plus i think she has a huge thing for making the west seem dumb, and india always the best... save for maybe a page... I dont think she mentions 1984 (infamous operation blue star) but thats more of a political thing. Anyways, have you started? It's online and in PDF, and took me 3-4 days to read it all online... It's really colorful. I loved it. I stopped at part 4 because im just going to buy it to finish it. Reading it in a book helps me retain the info, i think.. :P

BTW im glad you mentioned a good weird.. that would be me. LOL. :)

Star
27 July 2009, 05:29 PM
Hey, I did those on purpose!!!!!! :o

I'm trying to download the .pdf files as I type (they're kinda chunky and my connection isn't being very fast...). I've just had a glance at the first section, it does seem rather aesthetically pleasant! I do agree that reading off an actual physical book helps retain all the info. I assume they ship to Europe, but I'll take a look. :)

Sherab
27 July 2009, 05:32 PM
Hey, I did those on purpose!!!!!! :o

I'm trying to download the .pdf files as I type (they're kinda chunky and my connection isn't being very fast...). I've just had a glance at the first section, it does seem rather aesthetically pleasant! I do agree that reading off an actual physical book helps retain all the info. I assume they ship to Europe, but I'll take a look. :)

haha, i bet you did!!!!!

Well, good luck with the PDFs - maybe just do one at a time or something? Dunno. You could always try amazon.co.uk or something... no idea :)

Thats where i'll be getting it. If you still dont have a version in the next few weeks, i can buy one for you - i *should* be getting a job soon.

Star
27 July 2009, 05:47 PM
No worries, seems like Amazon.co.uk do it so I can order it when I can afford it (the price is a bit dear for a student). From the bits I've seen it's definitely worth it though, and I believe in buying something you appreciate after you've tried it online in order to show your support (if that makes sense). :) (Though I can't say those £10 spent in the Idiot's Guide were the best ever spent, but it wasn't available freely online...ah well!)

Sorry if I'm going sort of off-topic here...but I guess such are the ways of conversation - it flows freely! :P

Sherab
27 July 2009, 05:50 PM
No worries, seems like Amazon.co.uk do it so I can order it when I can afford it (the price is a bit dear for a student). From the bits I've seen it's definitely worth it though, and I believe in buying something you appreciate after you've tried it online in order to show your support (if that makes sense). :) (Though I can't say those £10 spent in the Idiot's Guide were the best ever spent, but it wasn't available freely online...ah well!)

Sorry if I'm going sort of off-topic here...but I guess such are the ways of conversation - it flows freely! :P

haha, it does, do you have any messengers of sorts? lol, i kinda feel like im spamming or something...

How much is the book in pounds/euros?

Star
27 July 2009, 05:54 PM
I surely do! I shall PM you the address. :)

I think the book was something just under £50.

Sherab
27 July 2009, 05:56 PM
I surely do! I shall PM you the address. :)

I think the book was something just under £50.
thanks.

£50 equals $82.... in USA its baout 30 :|

Is that with shipping?

Star
27 July 2009, 06:06 PM
Wow, that's a pretty huge difference! Here's the link (http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Hinduism-Modern-Adventures-Profound/dp/1934145009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248735610&sr=8-1). This (http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Hinduism-Modern-Adventures-Profound/dp/1934145009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1B5W3LYX82M2Z&s=generic&qid=1248735889&sr=1-1) place sells it for £61. How odd...

Edit: And I don't even think packaging&posting is included!

Sherab
27 July 2009, 06:10 PM
Wow, that's a pretty huge difference! Here's the link (http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Hinduism-Modern-Adventures-Profound/dp/1934145009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248735610&sr=8-1). This (http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Hinduism-Modern-Adventures-Profound/dp/1934145009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1B5W3LYX82M2Z&s=generic&qid=1248735889&sr=1-1) place sells it for £61. How odd...

Edit: And I don't even think packaging&posting is included!
the other one says 47 euros, i think... :|

Eastern Mind
27 July 2009, 06:16 PM
I find your conversation quite uplifting. It reminds me of another time .. quite a few years ago. I'm just an old ignorant man now. For another 'thrill' try watching the youtube video of the crystal lingam abishekam on the Himalayan Academy vast website. Looking forward to your reaction.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
27 July 2009, 06:22 PM
Heres the video EM mentions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOY-qhg7kdk

Star
29 July 2009, 06:09 AM
(I finally was able to have sound on my laptop so I could now watch/listen to the video! :P)

I must say I'd never seen puja like that, it was amazing...send shivers down my spine, it did! And the mantra was beautiful (even though I didn't understand a word...), I could listen to it all day. :)

Finally finished my exams (for now...a resit will come in September, the one I failed at last week), so I can now read all these ebooks without the I-should-be-doing-some-revision-but-I-so-prefer-to-read-these-books-instead feelings. Happy! :D

Edit: I've just read in another thread that someone considers "a person Hindu only if he/she is born in India to Hindu parents with legitimate ancestry". I hope this isn't the view of many. :(

Spiritualseeker
29 July 2009, 06:25 AM
Namaste star,

You will find many people say you have to be born into a hindu family but this is not everyones view. I was at a temple about two weeks ago and I asked the Swami there concerning a westerner who isnt born into a hindu family. He said one who practices the way of Hinduism is a hindu. And if you notice in himalayan academy they accept converts. Though they have a very strict process.

hope that helps
-juan

Sherab
29 July 2009, 08:38 AM
(I finally was able to have sound on my laptop so I could now watch/listen to the video! :P)

I must say I'd never seen puja like that, it was amazing...send shivers down my spine, it did! And the mantra was beautiful (even though I didn't understand a word...), I could listen to it all day. :)

Finally finished my exams (for now...a resit will come in September, the one I failed at last week), so I can now read all these ebooks without the I-should-be-doing-some-revision-but-I-so-prefer-to-read-these-books-instead feelings. Happy! :D

Edit: I've just read in another thread that someone considers "a person Hindu only if he/she is born in India to Hindu parents with legitimate ancestry". I hope this isn't the view of many. :(
Dont worry, it is not the view of many, just a few. Just be sincere, and lay back until people accept you. :)

devotee
29 July 2009, 09:27 AM
Namaste all,

I liked what Ekanta said in another thread, "Due to the purity of the rishis in India the Veda was revealed to them. Veda dont belong to India, it belongs to humanity. India received and protected the Veda. This is why I repect India so much. However, the moment you say "Veda, Sattva etc" belong to India, you simply is no hindu anymore. Protecting Veda is admirable, protecting India is admirable. But its not the same thing. Trying to make it the same thing is to miss the point. Veda is universal, India is not. India has a role to play in the drama. Dont confuse the role with the eternal. If God so wished, another country could be chosen.".

Was Lord Krishna only for the Indians or the born-Hindus ? Is Gita only for the born Hindus ? Are Newton's Laws of motion only for the Britons ? Is Einstein's theory of relativity only for the Germans ?

God didn't create boundaries between the countries & divide people. It is we who have done it in one name or the other. Who is the biggest enemy of the human being ? Somehow, we humans are the biggest enemies of fellow humans.

We belong to this earth, this universe. There is only one human race. There is only one earth. We all are one. We all are looking for the Truth. Let's get united & help each other in that pursuit. Let all differences dissolve for ever.

OM Peace, Peace, Peace !

Star
29 July 2009, 01:51 PM
I'm glad to hear this. OM. :)

Eastern Mind
29 July 2009, 03:03 PM
Namaste all:

I reiterate: You will find many different points of view here. Not all of them will make sense to you, or be gentle. But that's what makes this stage do much fun. You have the will power to let stuff go through one ear and the other. (Not to mention the 'ignore' button, and in extreme cases, Satay's "You're Banned' powers.)

Believe me, Star, Sherab, you guys, (and some of the oldsters) are a breath of fresh air. Otherwise I would have left long ago.

The gridded intellect (bondage) gets its grip after awhile. (Can't teach an old dog new tricks) It is one thing to have unwavering faith, yet another to have no sense of humour about it.)

Have fun. Enjoy the bhakti. Enjoy the energy. Talk. That's what this place is for.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
29 July 2009, 07:29 PM
Namaste all,

I liked what Ekanta said in another thread, "Due to the purity of the rishis in India the Veda was revealed to them. Veda dont belong to India, it belongs to humanity. India received and protected the Veda. This is why I repect India so much. However, the moment you say "Veda, Sattva etc" belong to India, you simply is no hindu anymore. Protecting Veda is admirable, protecting India is admirable. But its not the same thing. Trying to make it the same thing is to miss the point. Veda is universal, India is not. India has a role to play in the drama. Dont confuse the role with the eternal. If God so wished, another country could be chosen.".

Was Lord Krishna only for the Indians or the born-Hindus ? Is Gita only for the born Hindus ? Are Newton's Laws of motion only for the Britons ? Is Einstein's theory of relativity only for the Germans ?

God didn't create boundaries between the countries & divide people. It is we who have done it in one name or the other. Who is the biggest enemy of the human being ? Somehow, we humans are the biggest enemies of fellow humans.

We belong to this earth, this universe. There is only one human race. There is only one earth. We all are one. We all are looking for the Truth. Let's get united & help each other in that pursuit. Let all differences dissolve for ever.

OM Peace, Peace, Peace !
Beautifully said

OM Namah Sivaya

Star
31 July 2009, 06:35 AM

Another question crossed my mind today. I've placed my murti of Lord Ganesha on a fairly high shelf (approximately eye-level to me), in a way it overlooks my bedroom. Would you say this is highly inappropriate? I know ideally our shrine should be a separate room, unfortunately this isn't always possible...and it isn't possible in my apartment. Would it be better to purchase some sort of small cabinet and put Him inside it? I can't really draw a "sacred space" line around the shelf as it's in my bedroom, and often I have to walk in front of it, for non-prayer-related reasons...

Edit: Perhaps I should be posting in the "New to Sanatana Dharma" area of the forum? I just figured since I've been mostly around this thread, I may as well post here...but let me know if I should move my posts. :)

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 10:59 AM
Namaste,

Star I hope you get some feedback from Easternmind, devotee, or atanu. What I can say though Is I am considering getting a little cabinet to place some deities in as I am in the same situation as you. I have a small one bedroom apartment. It is a nice apartment just no room for anything more. So I need to do the little cabinet thing. But What I feel is Lord Ganesha knows your intention and is not offended. But this is my opinion only. Lord Ganesha is not a wrathful God. But I look foward to getting a response from experienced Hindus so that they can give you their opinions.

with love
-juan

Star
31 July 2009, 11:11 AM
Namaste,

I'm sure they'll help. Everyone in this forum has been so nice and kind to me so far, I love it here! :) I feel the same way as you say - I have the best intentions, just no room...but I'm looking forward to others' opinions. :)

(On another note, I've been doing some research on Hindu names. I'm on the second pada of Chitra, so accordingly my name should begin with Po (though some few sources did say Bo, so I was a bit confused!). I've been praying to Lord Ganesha for guidance twice-thrice a day, and right now I'm quite fond of Pooja. I might start signing with it soon. :))

sunyata07
31 July 2009, 11:19 AM
Namaste Star,

I understand exactly how you feel. As I have to keep my shrine in my room (and it's not very big), I have the same problem as well. If it's possible, maybe you could try setting up an altar that allows you to draw across a curtain when you're not praying? I'm trying to think of how that might be done if your shelf doesn't have a support on top, like another shelf or a stand.

Eastern Mind
31 July 2009, 12:41 PM
Vannakkam Star: With regard to placement of shrine room, murthis, etc. nothing is really inappropriate. You make do with what you have. I've seen probably 3 dozen shrines in Tamil homes, in white Hindu homes. They're all different in that they all have the personal touch of the person who set it up. Ganesha is watching you all the time anyway. He's not seeing anything but your soul. When you catch darshan at a properly established agamic temple, they say He sees you 10 times clearer than you see Him.

If you can get a kuthuvillakku lamp, when you light it, it turns on the shrine room energy, so to speak. That would be another way of defining 'Open for Business".

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
31 July 2009, 01:06 PM
Here's an ode to Ganesha video I'm sure you'll all enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/kauaiaadheenam#play/search/5/EISl3XKSQl0

Aum Namasivaya

Star
31 July 2009, 01:54 PM

Sunyata, it's just a shelf standing on its own on the wall (so to say), yeah. However, I've had another idea - I have a bigger stack of shelves next to it (where I have all my books/university stuff), which I'm planning on cleaning up this weekend (getting rid of unnecessary papers, and such). Perhaps I will be able to free one shelf (or at least half of it) for the murthis and then I'd be able to place a curtain of sorts there. :D Sounds do-able, anyways!

I'll also take a look at kuthuvillakku lamps, like EM said. I do usually light a candle and some incense while praying, but it's not always possible, so I definitely like the curtain idea - which will hopefully be possible when I clean up the shelves. :D

Is anyone here fluent in Hindi? I've just received a newsletter from the temple about some religious festivities, but I'm unable to read the most of it (well, at least I think it's Hindi...might be Tamil...or something else!)!

Edit: Thanks a lot for sharing the link, EM. :)

dhruva023
31 July 2009, 02:59 PM
Hindi is not my native language, but I can read it clearly.

Star
31 July 2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks Dhruva, it has a section in my local language - I'll translate it into English and send you both files, and you can just let me know if the Hindi section says anything not covered in the local language one (because local language = 1 page, and Hindi = 3 pages).

dhruva023
31 July 2009, 03:15 PM
ok, send it to me, I will replay by tonight.

Star
31 July 2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks Dhruva, I've sent you a message. No rush in replying! :)

dhruva023
31 July 2009, 04:12 PM
The language is Gujarati, Its my native language. :)

Star
31 July 2009, 04:13 PM
Oh wow, certainly not a coincidence! Sorry I got the language wrong, though. :P

Eastern Mind
31 July 2009, 04:22 PM
Star: He's (you know who) pretty convincing, no?

Aum Namasivaya

Star
31 July 2009, 04:33 PM
He is!

Star
05 August 2009, 05:30 PM
Just thought I'd say - I've ordered my very first puja supplies from India this week, they should be shipped tomorrow or the day after...so I should have them by next week! :D

(Edited: repeated word)

Spiritualseeker
05 August 2009, 06:17 PM
That is excellent Star. May the Gods accept your offerings :)

I have been offering Incense to Lord Ganapati.

Star
05 August 2009, 06:25 PM
I might have to post a picture when I put it all together. ^_^ I'm sooo pleased about it!

I'm very happy we share our love for Lord Ganesha :) I find the Ganapati Upanishad very beautiful...and try and recite it morning and evening. :)

(Oh my, I need to calm down with the smiley faces! :P)

Spiritualseeker
05 August 2009, 06:47 PM
LOL no Sri Yogananda says:
"Most smiles are born of good emotions arising out of doing good, or out of feeling smpathy, love, kindness, or mercy. But the most wonderful way to smile is to fill your heart with the love of God. Then you will be able to love everybodyl you will be able to smile all the time" (Man's Eternal Quest Volume 1)

Lord Ganesha is amazing. I offered Lord Ganapati an incent today and started praying to him as I was offering it asking him to allow me to see that I am not separate from Him and I was filled with a strange spiritual feeling. I sat down and recited OM Gam Ganapatye Namaha while focusing on the Murti and lol my cat kept looking at at Ganesha (I already put out the incent so i dont think he was looking at that) he would look away for a moment then look back up to Lord Ganesha. I felt like there was a Spirit or being in the room other than the cat and I and for a moment got afraid, but then I had the thought to not resist and to accept perhaps that it is Lord Ganesha's Energy and he was showing me that I am in his life :)

May we realize we are not Separate from the one Tusk Deity
-juan

sunyata07
06 August 2009, 02:40 PM
Namaste everyone,

I'm so glad things are going well for you, Star! I ordered my puja supplies last month and have been able to properly make offerings to Lord Ganesha. So I share in your excitement. Smiles that come from the love you feel for God, and by extension the love you feel for all other things, are always beautiful and should be shared. :)

SS, that is wise reflection indeed - that we are never separate from Him. I will try to remember that the next time I feel I am not praying or making offerings to Ganesha correctly.

Star
06 August 2009, 07:45 PM

Ooh, so smilies are good then! Excellent! :D

On another note, I've just turned twenty...scary! For me, anyway! I can no longer use "teen"! *shudders* :O

Spiritualseeker
06 August 2009, 08:23 PM
Namaste,

Happy birthday! You are no longer a teen. May Lord Ganesha ever be present with you in all your birthdays.

OM Gam Ganapatye Namaha
-Juan

dhruva023
06 August 2009, 08:47 PM
Happy Birthday Star :)

Sherab
06 August 2009, 09:02 PM
Happy Birthday Star :)
Yes, happy birthday!

And I did not know you were older then me, haha. I'll be 19 in a few months.

Namaste

Eastern Mind
06 August 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm feeling older by the minute. All these darn young' uns. My birthday in 2 weeks. Doing something I've never done before, hopefully.

So happy birthday, Sunshine. (That's just a friendly Canadian colloquialism, but I like it.)

Aum Namasivaya

atanu
06 August 2009, 10:12 PM
I'm feeling older by the minute. All these darn young' uns. My birthday in 2 weeks. Doing something I've never done before, hopefully.

So happy birthday, Sunshine. (That's just a friendly Canadian colloquialism, but I like it.)

Aum Namasivaya

Hey EM,

You have gathered a lot of children here? hehe. There was a time when hearing "decade older" meant impossibly old. But now we are several decades older.

Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
07 August 2009, 06:01 AM
Atanu: So here comes another story. My kids would just groan. This is how I learned age is irrelevant:

In my wanton youth, I started hanging out in the local small town pool hall. (All small towns had a pool hall (snooker only) and they were sort of considered seedy places. The owner was a guy named Mike. Mike was probably 60. I was 16. He was practically illiterate, and many kids in town thought he was sort of a grumpy old stupid goon. But my observations saw more. So to make a long story short, after hanging out with him for 2 to 3 years, he became a friend. He'd go for coffee, and I would cover the shop. He trusted me, and I was one of the few he trusted. Boy could he read a stranger in town.

One of the things that happened was theft of individual pool balls. Vandalism sort of. But some new kid from out of town would come in, and just as he was about to leave, ball in pocket, Mike would jump out from behind the counter and demand it back. He had x-ray vision for pool balls. (Just really good observational skills.)

My favorite saying of his was, "It's only money." with the deeper meanings attached. So he taught me that friendship has no age barriers. So now we get to be the 'old guys'.

Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
07 August 2009, 06:42 AM
Happy birthday, Star! :D

Star
09 August 2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the nice wishes. :)

I've arrived to England a couple of days ago, and hopefully will be able to go to a local temple soon! There seem to be lots of them on googlemaps...

bhargavsai
02 September 2009, 02:45 AM
I think I am very late in replying to the post, sorry, at last my Engineering is complete :-D

Star, if you do read my post. Then:

First of all I would like to ask you Why do you fear going inside a temple? You have all rights to enter it. Don't worry, just enter it, talk with some people there and familiarize. And Kathak classes, wow, Kathak is really one awesome dance form.

Sad to hear that parents force their children to do something through violence. Please don't worry, just go with them to the church but do not give your mind/heart to the church, for your parents can physically take you there, but your heart and soul are always free, and Heart and soul are what matters.

Don't fear that you will do something wrong. It is not wrong to do wrong without knowing. We all learn through experience only. And no one, believe me, no one has the right to object you when you do wrong in the temple, after all you are God as per Hindu teachings, after all we all are equal before God, we learn only through experience. So rise, become fearless and do the work. Don't worry if you commit mistakes, mistakes happen, and learn from them.

Wishing you all the success and happiness

Star
06 September 2009, 12:30 PM

I do apologise for not having been around here as much as I'd have liked to, being away for Summer on a limited internet access, plus an increase in education workload, plus a couple of health issues did the trick. Anyways...

Bhargavsai, thanks for your kind words. And yes, you are right, I shouldn't be afraid of entering a temple, I suppose it's just me being a bit silly...though there's always one or another "eastern Hindu" who'll look oddly at a "western/white Hindu" (if that makes sense) if one is around the Temple, which has sometimes made me feel not completely at ease. Now I'm back home, I'm hoping this week I'll finally be able to go to the temple! :)

I'm actually really happy to be back home, the family at the place where I was staying wouldn't be pleased at all about me having my murthi of Lord Ganesha on show (they're rather strict followers of the Church of England) and I missed it terribly!