PDA

View Full Version : Got some pictures of shiva up.

Sherab
27 July 2009, 02:34 PM
here they are, in my shrine room :)

Here's a link:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/Sherab0/P8020020.jpg

thanks for viewing!

Star
27 July 2009, 02:57 PM
Oh wow, they're beautiful. Thanks for sharing! :)

(Edit: I'm quite tempted to post a picture of my little statue of Lord Ganesha...I know materialistically it's nothing special, but it means so much to me!)

Sherab
27 July 2009, 03:03 PM
Oh wow, they're beautiful. Thanks for sharing! :)

(Edit: I'm quite tempted to post a picture of my little statue of Lord Ganesha...I know materialistically it's nothing special, but it means so much to me!)

Go ahead and post it! You have nothing to lose by sharing... This is a community after all~

Spiritualseeker
27 July 2009, 06:52 PM
Namaste,

Thanks for sharing sherab.

Star please post it. Dont worry my Ganesha statue is plastic but i still love it.

Star
28 July 2009, 05:02 AM
Namaste :)

Here (http://i29.tinypic.com/sgjrzp.jpg) it is.

Eastern Mind
28 July 2009, 05:51 AM
What a happy looking Ganesha!

Aum.

devotee
28 July 2009, 06:36 AM
How Cute ! :)

OM Shri Ganeshaya Namah !

Sherab
28 July 2009, 08:57 AM
Namaste :)

Here (http://i29.tinypic.com/sgjrzp.jpg) it is.
Aw, its so cute! they even have the mouse on there :D

sunyata07
28 July 2009, 11:28 AM
The pictures of the divine family are beautiful, Sherab. Thanks for sharing. I am especially fond of images that depict Lord Shiva surrounded by his family. :)

And that's an adorable little murti of Lord Ganesha, Star! He looks so sweet. ^^

Sherab
28 July 2009, 01:23 PM
The pictures of the divine family are beautiful, Sherab. Thanks for sharing. I am especially fond of images that depict Lord Shiva surrounded by his family. :)

And that's an adorable little murti of Lord Ganesha, Star! He looks so sweet. ^^

Me too, however, i still want one of murugan by himself, shiva by himself, and ganesha.. i just dont have any good picture frames.... Plus i want some statues too for abhishekam.

Star
28 July 2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. I fell in love with that murti the second I held it! :D

Eastern Mind
28 July 2009, 05:43 PM
Me too, however, i still want one of murugan by himself, shiva by himself, and ganesha.. i just dont have any good picture frames.... Plus i want some statues too for abhishekam.

If you have a color printer... there would be lots to choose from.
Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
29 July 2009, 02:38 PM
^ I agree. I've also found that smaller pictures with higher resolution generally look a lot better and less drawn out. Plus, it makes purchasing a good quality frame that much more convenient.

Sherab
29 July 2009, 02:45 PM
^ I agree. I've also found that smaller pictures with higher resolution generally look a lot better and less drawn out. Plus, it makes purchasing a good quality frame that much more convenient.
Thank you.

I was reading a book on himalayan academy, and they made a good point - to be a hindu, you must follow some indian things, clothing, etc.

Which oddly, is what i tried to do with Buddhism, and it was rejected... Also, reading the gita, in the army, i spoke just like Arjuna - and i found out about. I didnt want to hurt people. If only i had Krishna... :)

Spiritualseeker
29 July 2009, 07:31 PM
Eastern mind if you dont mind could you show us a pic of your shrine?

Sherab
29 July 2009, 07:46 PM
Eastern mind if you dont mind could you show us a pic of your shrine?

Seconded.

dhruva023
29 July 2009, 07:50 PM
ok, lets make a rule, whoever wants to read this thread must post a pic of their shrine or what ever they call it. :)

Sherab
29 July 2009, 07:52 PM
ok, lets make a rule, whoever wants to read this thread must post a pic of their shrine or what ever they call it. :)
Or I can make a thread where we post our shrine pics

dhruva023
29 July 2009, 07:53 PM
That's a good idea too. :)

Eastern Mind
29 July 2009, 08:26 PM
Seconded.

lol ... I'm an old man. I don't have the computer savvy, and I really don't like cameras. Or pictures. this seems odd maybe, but its due to some past karmas I think. I also have an irrational fear of heights and of electricity, due to the way I died last life time. (Working atop an electrical line in Kolkata (Calcutta) . But yeah, okay, if I can get my daughtewr to use her camera and do it for you.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
29 July 2009, 08:51 PM
Your an old man but we are old souls. I could have been your father or mother hundreds of years ago. I want to see your Lord Murugan statue.

Sherab
30 July 2009, 09:20 AM
lol ... I'm an old man. I don't have the computer savvy, and I really don't like cameras. Or pictures. this seems odd maybe, but its due to some past karmas I think. I also have an irrational fear of heights and of electricity, due to the way I died last life time. (Working atop an electrical line in Kolkata (Calcutta) . But yeah, okay, if I can get my daughtewr to use her camera and do it for you.

Aum Namasivaya

I don't like heights either, or escalators... :P
Makes me wonder.

sunyata07
30 July 2009, 11:32 AM
Or I can make a thread where we post our shrine pics

I like that idea. Maybe I'll try and get a picture of my own shrine up seeing as we're all sharing here. Also, Sherab - you mentioned wanting some statues for your shrine. Have you had any success in finding any? There are some sites I've tried before, and they were pretty reliable.

Sherab
30 July 2009, 11:52 AM
I like that idea. Maybe I'll try and get a picture of my own shrine up seeing as we're all sharing here. Also, Sherab - you mentioned wanting some statues for your shrine. Have you had any success in finding any? There are some sites I've tried before, and they were pretty reliable.

Namaste,

Here is where im getting my ganesha murti from:

http://store.krishna.com/Detail.bok?no=585&bar=_shp_home-wor

Seeing as its made of polyresin, i think i could bathe it properly by pouring water over into it :)

sunyata07
30 July 2009, 12:02 PM
It's beautiful - I love vibrantly coloured Ganeshas! And yes, I think resin is overall a good material without worrying if the water will damage the surface. :)

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 12:18 PM
What is resin?

Star
30 July 2009, 12:38 PM
Has anyone got or seen a nice murti of Lord Dhanvantari around?

sunyata07
30 July 2009, 12:57 PM
What is resin?

It's a material that looks similar to varnished wood, but feels a lot less "grainier" and is a lot more durable in terms of maintenance.

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 01:00 PM
aha thanks sunyata. Maybe ill get one too. I am also interested in the Nataraja statue they have on that site aswell, but i think that is made of another material.

Sherab
30 July 2009, 01:05 PM
It's a material that looks similar to varnished wood, but feels a lot less "grainier" and is a lot more durable in terms of maintenance.
Poly Resin is also used in kitchenware, and is resilient. I just hope the paint stays on. the statue is also tall - 8.5". :)

sunyata07
30 July 2009, 01:53 PM
Well, unless you're thinking about placing the murti out-of-doors, say, in a garden, then you'd want to be careful about material. But if it's going to be kept in a shrine indoors, I think it should be safe enough to pick any material you favour most or is convenient for you, as it'll probably be well taken care of in any case. :)

Is there a reason you're looking for a murti of Lord Dhanvantari, Star? I've looked around, but it seems quite hard to obtain a nice one without spending a lot of money on it. A few I've spotted are more than a hundred dollars.

Eastern Mind
30 July 2009, 02:03 PM
namaste: Much of this depends on how you view the murthi. Case one is symbolic, and of course this is good. As long as it reminds you of God.

Case 2 would be mystical, whether the murthi is holding shakti. In this case the more ancient substances of metal, or stone are recommended. The murthi becomes and remains like a charged battery.

But then this is just my opinion drawn on my personal intuition, and from reading of the masters.

Aum Namasivaya