PDA

View Full Version : I want to learnmore about God Siva

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 05:47 AM
Namaste,

I want to learn more about Lord Siva so that I can draw close to him. Can someone please help me out.

-juan

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 07:36 AM
http://allsaivism.tripod.com/snakes.html

The Symbolism of Snakes in Saivism

Lord Siva is depicted in many images like the one above as wearing a garland of snakes around his neck. There is a deep symbolism hidden behind this. Lord Siva is know as Pasupathinath, the lord of all creatures. Being a lord of the animals he has complete control on their behavior. Since a snake is one of the most feared and dangerous animals in the world, the garland of snakes around the neck firmly establishes this fact even the snakes fear Him and remain under his control.
The snake stands for all the evil and demonical nature in the world. By wearing the snake around his neck, Lord Siva gives us the assurance that no evil can touch us or destroy us once we surrender to him, seek his protection and worship him with deep devotion.
The snake also stands for the power of kundalini, which is described as a coiled serpent lying dormant in the muladhara chakra of all human beings and descends upwards when one starts ones spiritual journey and becomes increasingly divine oriented. The snake around the neck of Siva conveys the meaning that in him the kundalini not only has arisen fully but is also actively involved in the divine activity by keeping an eye on all the devotees who approach Siva with their individual problems.
The snake also stands for all passions and desires. By wearing the snakes around his neck, Lord Siva conveys the message to all his devotees that He has overcome all desires and is in full control of Prakriti, or maya and its various machinations.

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 07:38 AM
http://allsaivism.tripod.com/sivaandtantra.html

Siva and Tantra

Lord Siva is Pasupathinath, the Lord of animals. He is also the Lord of all animal passions that lay hidden in us. The belief is that if you pray to Lord Siva with complete devotion he will rid you of all your animal passions and change your consciousness into divine. Tantra also aims to achieve the same end, not through the control of animal passions but through their controlled expression. In Tantricism the Siddha identifies himself with Lord Siva and indulges in various acts of self purification in order to merge with Siva, so that he becomes Siva in reality. He accepts Siva as the means and Shakti as the end.
Long before the emergence of Tantricism as a major cult in India, Siva was already identified as a fertility Go. His worship in the form of Sivaling was popular in various parts of India and also beyond. The Indus valley people must have followed some vague form of rituals involving the Mother Goddess and her male counterpart, probably a prototype of Siva, whose seals were found in the ruins of Mohenjodaro and Harappa.
The Sivaling symbolized all that Tantricism stood for. Tantricism merely provided the philosophical justification for the worship of Siva as a God of love and liberator of mankind through the worship of Shakti in union with Siva. Tantricism suggested a new way to approach the subject, but was not in conflict with the fundamentals of Saivism.
Quite harmoniously, it blended the agnostic and atheistic philosophies of the sixth century B.C. with the theistic school of Saivism, accepting Siva as the Purusha, the eternal and indivisible principle which the Sankhya Vadins and the Charvakas vehemently denied to acknowledge.

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 07:39 AM
The Trident

http://allsaivism.tripod.com/images/trident.jpgThe trident is the weapon of Siva with which he destroys evils and restores order. The trident stands for the triple qualities of nature, namely, sattva, rajas and tamas. Siva is the master of maya and thereby master of these three qualities with which he controls the worlds.

The trident symbolically represents the fact that Siva is the controller of the worlds and controller of all illusion. The trident also represents the three aspects of time, the past, the present and the future.
Siva is mater of Time, Kal Bhairav, who determines the progress of the worlds according to his will.

The trident represents the three paths to self-realization, namely the path of knowledge, the path of action and the path of devotion.

With these three paths, Siva transforms his devotees and destroys the evil in them. The trident stands for the three primary evils which need to destroyed in order to make progress towards the divine. They are the evil of anger, the evil of lust and the evil of pride.

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 07:45 AM
The Nature of Lord Siva

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=3113

"He extends His grace to all and gives creatures experience and liberation"

Ajita Agama, or Ajita Tantra, is the fifth of the 28 Saiva Agamas. This excerpt is from section 2, "The Nature of Siva." It is in the form of a conversation between Lord Siva as Mahadeva and Lord Vishnu as Achyuta.

He is the gross, the subtle and the supreme; the manifested, the unmanifested and that which is both; the external, the internal and that which is external-internal; the eternal, the non-eternal and that which is eternal and non-eternal; the male, the female and the third entity which is non-male [and non-female]; wakefulness, dream and deep sleep; the past, the present and the future; the invisible, the visible and that which is visible and non-visible; the spoken, the mental and the act; the instrument of knowledge, the knower and the known; the atma-tattva, the vidya-tattva and the Siva-tattva; the experiencer, the experienced and cause of the experienced; [the impurity] born of maya, that innate in the soul and that from karma; the knowledge and the ignorance; the light and the darkness; the gross and the subtle, the near and the remote; that which is to be left and that which is to be taken; the permanent and the occasional; the superior and the inferior; that which is brought together and that which is scattered; the true and the untrue, the existent and the non-existent.

This Lord [Siva] is all that. There is nothing different from Him. He is the material cause, the mahat and the ahamkara, the tanmatras of sound, touch, color, taste and odor, the [sense-organs] ear, skin, eye, tongue and nose, the organ of speech, hand, the foot, organs of excretion and generation, with the mind, the five [elements] earth, etc., [and the various tattvas]. Only He can be the Lord. He is I and you. He is the God, i. e., Brahman etc., the Creators, Kasyapa, etc. He is the seven sages, Moon and Sun, lords of planets. He is the king of Gods. Siva is said to be the universe.

The four Vedas, with their secret [section, i. e., Upanishads], speak of Him. In the Siddhanta, the Bhuta Tantra, the left and right current of tantras, in the Bhairava Tantra and other tantras (those of pashus and Pashupata, etc.), in the Tantra of Vishnu, in the tantras of bauddhas and in the science on the lords of directions, in the eighteen Puranas, in the six ancillaries [of Veda] and in others, in the treatises of yoga, in all [sciences], Nyaya, Vaisesika, etc., whatever any of those sages, after examination, has said to be the true reality, this same eternal Lord of Gods, named Siva, is that.

In the Saiva tradition, Siva is known as free from beginning, middle and end, free by nature from the stain-entity, powerful, omniscient, endowed with plenitude, non-limited by directions of space, times, etc., beyond the range of speech and mind, free of manifestation, without action, all-pervading, always seeing everything.

The worship of Him can be the inner worship, which is especially for yogins. Men who take pleasure in the practice of yoga, whose mind is purified by the eight components of yoga, yama, etc., worship Him in the middle of the lotus of their heart, no others. The action of worshiping Him is superior. Without His worship, with any other [rite] there is no benefit for embodied souls.

Someone sometimes is entitled to perform the inner worship; those who have a little knowledge are entitled to perform the outer worship. Being aware of that, this Lord of Gods, Siva, who stands inside everything, who [desires] to extend His grace to all and gives creatures experience and liberation, this Siva became Sadasiva, whose body is manifested as the five brahma [mantras].

The whole universe entirely is created by Brahman, protected by you and destroyed by me. Thus a relation of material cause and effect is established in us. The nature of body of Siva is told to be in Sadasiva, etc. The nature of material cause is unique and established only in Him. This undecaying Sadasiva is worshiped in the Linga, by us, led by Maheshvara and by all creatures in the world. Such is the second chapter, entitled "Narration of the Nature of Siva," in the great Tantra called Ajita.

Sherab
30 July 2009, 09:06 AM
And here is a yogi with a live snake wound in is hair....

Ekanta
30 July 2009, 09:10 AM
Wow, that guy has really raized his kundalini!

sunyata07
30 July 2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the post, SS. I've been wanting to learn more about Lord Shiva myself, especially concerning his connection with his son, Lord Ganesha. I've read that Saivites don't always worship Lord Ganesha before worship of Lord Shiva, as to worship the father is to worship the son. I can't remember where I read this, but can anyone tell me if this is true of Lord Shiva's devotees?

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 03:34 PM
Your welcome,

I am excited my wife said she prayed to Lord Siva today. She wants a nataraja statue. This is great! May we grow strong together until we find that we are not separate from Siva.

Eastern Mind
30 July 2009, 03:48 PM
Namaste Sunyata 07. There is nothing 'true' of Siva's devotees, because as with Hinduism, Saivism is vast , having 6 classical schools, and more, like Smartans leaning towards Saivism, Hindus who have no declared sect, etc. In a more specific way, there are as many schools as there are practitioners, as each soul has His/Her individual take, likes and dislikes in worship. But in general, before praying, almoat all Hindus beseech Ganesha first. Biut it is not necessary. If there was a place of worship where Ganapati didn't seem to be readily apparent .. well yes. A yogi on a beach will make a lingam of sand.

As far as the relationship goes, you will get many answers. Here is my take. Firstly, there is no family. Gods and goddesses are genderless. They are only represented this way so we humans have a sense of approaching. Lord Siva did not 'marry' Parvati, and then beget Ganesha and Murugan. They are far beyond that. God Siva is God, the Cause of all things. Shakti is the Effects of all that Cause. That's why many refer to Siva/Shakti. It is one, not two. (Like yin/yang, or one coin, two sides) Lord Ganesha, on the other hand is a Mahadeva, a great Ancient Soul, himself enamated from Siva, bit also capable of acting on His own, in much the same way the concept of an archangel in Catholicism might.

Once more, this is just my take, and not necessarily expressing the opinions of others. Of course I'm right. (sarcasm towards fundamentalists)

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 05:55 PM
Namaste,

My wife and I are going to offer puja for Lord Ganesha tonight. At our home we are going to use jasmine incense

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 06:26 PM
okay so we did it. What we did is i lit the incent stick and she offered it with her right hand and she said we offer this to you Lord Ganesha and I said please accept. She waved the smoke around the image. Then we placed the incent on the holder and we sat before the image and visualized Lord Ganesha and prayed to him.

Now i have question in the morning when we wake up do we have to get a complete bath before puja or can we just wash up a bit?

dhruva023
31 July 2009, 07:58 PM
I recommend getting a complete bath, It doesn't matter if you spend only 5 minutes in bathroom, but please take a bath. A bath will physically and mentally prepare you for puja. It will also change you whole day. A bath will also make you wake up early, which is good, because we get more good and positive thought in the morning then any other time. I think bath is necessary for morning puja. but it might be just me. :) I would even say that we should take a bath everyday.

yajvan
31 July 2009, 08:42 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namaste,
I want to learn more about Lord Siva so that I can draw close to him. Can someone please help me out.

Namasté juan
IMHO to know more about Śiva is to know more about fullness. And what is this fullness? A quality of Brahman is bhūma, fullness.

The fullness of the relative field of life and that of the Absolute. The sum total of all is Brahman seen, and unseen, time and timeless, past , present or future.

This bhūma represents or is the name of this grand-total fullness.
If we go to the Chāndogya Upaniṣad (chapter 7) and the great student ( Nārada) asks his teacher/guru: What is this bhūma? What is this Fullness?

"Do you want to know what Completeness is? And do you want to know what finitude is? Here is the definition," says Sanatkumāra [ the ṛṣi of the vidyā] . "Where one sees nothing except one's own Self, where one hears nothing except one's own Self, where one understands nothing except one's own Self, that is Bhuma, the Absolute; and where one sees something outside oneself, where one hears something outside oneself, where one understands or thinks something outside oneself, that is the finite ( or alpa - small , minute , trifling , little)."
… and where can it be found?

"O my dear Nārada, your question itself is unfounded and unwarranted. Why do you ask where It is, as if It is in space? But if you want me to tell you where It is, I say It is in space, It is in every nook and corner, in every pinpoint of space. There is no space where It is not; there is no space which It does not occupy."

praṇām

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 09:00 PM
Namaste,

It is good to hear from you I miss your posts. This is a beautiful description of that Infinite Truth. I want to also let you know that I am going to be starting the Self Realization Fellowship lessons. Perhaps they will help me learn more and more to touch this absolute ultimate Reality that is within all things and is not but in entirety all that is.

Please wish me luck.
Thank you very much
-Juan

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 09:02 PM
I recommend getting a complete bath, It doesn't matter if you spend only 5 minutes in bathroom, but please take a bath. A bath will physically and mentally prepare you for puja. It will also change you whole day. A bath will also make you wake up early, which is good, because we get more good and positive thought in the morning then any other time. I think bath is necessary for morning puja. but it might be just me. :) I would even say that we should take a bath everyday.

Thank you Dhruva. But to clarify its not that I dont wash everyday lol. Its just early in the morning I can wake my wife. Our bathroom is in our bedroom its the only bathroom in our apartment. Usually I just crawl out of bed and go to the living room for meditation. I am very clean and hygenic and I learn most of that from my 7 years in Islamic dogma hehe.

with love
-juan

Sudarshan
01 August 2009, 01:36 PM
http://allsaivism.tripod.com/snakes.html

The Symbolism of Snakes in Saivism

Lord Siva is depicted in many images like the one above as wearing a garland of snakes around his neck. There is a deep symbolism hidden behind this. Lord Siva is know as Pasupathinath, the lord of all creatures. Being a lord of the animals he has complete control on their behavior. Since a snake is one of the most feared and dangerous animals in the world, the garland of snakes around the neck firmly establishes this fact even the snakes fear Him and remain under his control.
The snake stands for all the evil and demonical nature in the world. By wearing the snake around his neck, Lord Siva gives us the assurance that no evil can touch us or destroy us once we surrender to him, seek his protection and worship him with deep devotion.
The snake also stands for the power of kundalini, which is described as a coiled serpent lying dormant in the muladhara chakra of all human beings and descends upwards when one starts ones spiritual journey and becomes increasingly divine oriented. The snake around the neck of Siva conveys the meaning that in him the kundalini not only has arisen fully but is also actively involved in the divine activity by keeping an eye on all the devotees who approach Siva with their individual problems.
The snake also stands for all passions and desires. By wearing the snakes around his neck, Lord Siva conveys the message to all his devotees that He has overcome all desires and is in full control of Prakriti, or maya and its various machinations.

Snakes( both nAga-s and sarpa-s) technically denote entire system of nADi-s in the subtle body with nAga-s being a higher class. Lord Shiva and Lord garuDa have unusually similar qualities in that both symbolically wear eight major snakes. The wearer of the snakes must be a person who has complete domination of the snakes isnt it?

garuDa's story on his enimity with snakes and its association with the fetching of amrita is an important story in Mahabharata. It is in the Astika parva. Reading those sections very carefully will lead to the understanding of the snakes in the body. ( bhAratavarsha is the microcosm - the human body)

bhargavsai
07 August 2009, 02:03 PM
I always believe that not all people have the chance to discover Shiva. I think there is some connection between you and Shiva, in past lives, and that is the reason you are now discovering Shiva. They say that people have different destinies, people have various tendencies. I feel that your tendencies and destiny, both are Shiva. Blessed are you.

Spiritualseeker
07 August 2009, 02:26 PM
Namaste,

Thank you for your encouraging words. I hope to realize parasiva here and now :)

srinivas1950
05 April 2010, 03:27 PM
This is a very nice article on attaining Self Realization via Supreme Shiva consciousness.

http://satya-narayana.sulekha.com/blog/post/2010/03/how-to-attain-siva-consciousness.htm

Also another article on attainment of turiya state on Maha Shiva Ratri.

http://satya-narayana.sulekha.com/blog/post/2010/03/maha-siva-ratri-revealed-how-to-attain-turiya-state.htm

This is the Direct Awareness of the Self, Graciously expounded to Guha by Ishvara Himself, The foremost and first Lord, now teaching this in Tamil
Seated as the Self in my Heart.

That Siva further says:

Guha! I shall tell You about a different way to reach that Reality which pervades partless in all, too subtle, though, to be grasped (by the mind). [1]

By which the knowledge of Awareness is well-attained, knowing which is to become Siva Himself, what has not been told to any by me, today, from me, that wisdom, hear! [2]

Handed down by the lineage of gurus, and beyond the ken of logicians, this is for liberation from the bondage of the birth-death cycle. Its supreme vision shines at all places. [3]

He who is the One pervading all things, He who has manifested as All, He who has faces in all directions, who is beyond thought, who remains Himself as all the verities and transcends them too, is the Self. [4]

He transcends all verities, He is beyond the reach of speech, mind and name. “I am That (Siva-Self)”: thus You should meditate with perfectly undifferentiated mind, on Siva. [5]

Firmly established as the eternal entity, imperishable and undifferentiated, the all-pervasive, partless Knowledge that cannot be fathomed by the mind, it shines, with nothing prior to compare. [6]

Without stain, indestructible, the totally serene, the knowledge transcending all objects, beyond the pale of thought, conception and doubt, that (Supreme) I am – no doubt about this. [7]

That Supreme divinity, Siva, indeed am I, of the nature of all the mantras, and transcending all the mantras, devoid of dissolution and creation. [8]

What is visible, what is invisible, the moving and the stationary – all these are pervaded by me. I am the Lord of this universe. All shine because of me. [9]

Filled with a variety of forms, one different from the other, filled with a galaxy of worlds, all this universe, from Siva down to the earth, are all established in me. [10]

Whatever is seen in this world, whatever is heard in this world, whatever shines, conceptualised as inside and outside, all these are pervaded by me, the all-pervading One. Realise this. [11]

Though considering himself the Self, He desires to attain that Siva, the Supreme Self, as one apart. Whoever contemplates on Siva thus in delusion, will not attain Sivahood by such contemplation – know this. [12]

“Siva is other than I; I am other than Siva” – uproot this attitude of differentiation. “I indeed am that Siva” – this conviction that is non-dual, ever practice. [13]

Full of this non-dual conviction, he who, everywhere, abides ever in the Self, shall see, in all things, in all bodies, only that Siva-self -- of this, there is no doubt. [14]

Whoever has this conviction always, of the one Self, shall rid himself of delusion, and dual perception. That yogi will attain to omniscience – so it is said in the Vedas. This You should know. [15]

He who is praised in all scriptures as the unborn, the Ishvara, that formless and attributeless Self, He indeed am I – there is no doubt about this. [16]

Only he who does not know his true nature is the jiva that is subject to the dharmas (characteristic) of birth, death and so on. He who knows his true Self is one who is eternal, he is the pure, He is Siva. Without doubt, know this. [17]

Hence, what men of discrimination should enquire carefully and directly realise is the Self; that itself shines twofold, as the transcendental and the inferior divisions, the gross and the subtle. [18]

The Supreme nirvana is the higher, the inferior is manifest as the creation, mantras are spoken of as its gross form, what abides in changeless awareness is the subtle. [19]

Shanmukha! Without realising It (Atma), what avails explanations thereof in endless ways? Tell me! All these are only a wonderful display of words, the cause for the delusion of the mind. [20]

All the dharmas (qualities) abide in the Self. Whichever of them the jiva imagines, whereby he concentrates his thoughts again and again on it, he will attain that object – there is no doubt of this. [21]

Thus has been told by me as the knowledge of the Self what has been gathered succinctly in a condensed form. All, by any means, is of the nature of the Self. Realising this, may You ever be strengthened in the thoughts of the Self. [22]

The Deities, the Vedas, the fire sacrifices, the various gifts to priests in the course of their performance – none of this exists there (in the nature of the Self). Be tuned to the blemishless, omni-faceted, steadfast knowledge of the Self. [23]

To the jiva drowning in the vast ocean of the birth-death cycle, and seeking a refuge, what affords refuge is only that knowledge of the Self, not anything else -- know this. [24]

He who becomes of the nature of the Supreme and realises it as it really is, shall, though experiencing all changing states, attain liberation without effort – be aware of this. [25]

There is no greater blessing anywhere, apart from the gaining of the Self. Meditate ever on the Self. He, who is the Self, He indeed is the one all-pervasive Supreme Self – be aware of this. [26]

It is not the prana (the vital air that circulates), nor the apana (the air that travels down) even, nor the instruments superior even to these, the senses, mind and such. Reach ever for the thought of the Self.That is the omniscient and the perfect. [27]
It is neither inside nor outside, not afar, nor nearby, nor does it fit in any place. That Supreme is formless, all pervasive and effulgent, direct Your thoughts ever to it. [28]
It is across, above, and below, inside and outside, which are divisions, ever established firmly everywhere – the void, the self-luminous Self. Ever mediate on that more and more. [29]

Not a void, not a non-void, it is also the non-void, and the void, pervasive everywhere, but without predilections – ever think of this Self. [30]

Affliction-less, and without any support for itself, bereft of caste, name, and form – that taintless, attributeless Self should You unceasingly meditate upon. [31]

With no refuge, with nothing to support it, beyond the range of comprehension, without parallel, faultless by nature, the eternal – the Self that is so, meditate upon it joyfully, forever. [32]

Embracing dispassion and thus desisting from all karmic activity, shying away from society, one should, thereafter, ever meditate upon the Self within oneself, in oneself, by oneself – be aware of this. [33]
Country and lineage, the traditional castes and style of life, effacing various thoughts arising in the wake of these, the wise man should meditate daily, upon his (real) nature. [34]

“This is the mantra”, “this is the Deity”, “This is indeed what is called meditation”, “This indeed is tapas” – casting afar all such thoughts, concentrate on the nature of Your own Self. [35]

The Self is without thought. Make it impossible for the thought-oriented (mind) to think at all. Make the mind that thinks, to get settled on the Self. Let not the mind think of anything else. [36]

The Self is not something that can be thought of nor is it something that cannot be thought of. It is not thought itself, it is indeed itself thought – what does not lean towards any of the above, the Supreme that is the Self, ever meditate upon it. [37]

Meditate ever on that which is beyond the reach of the mind, allowing no refuge for the mind. The joy that is attained in abundance in that Self, that is beyond all verities and complete. [38]

Without any differences, and beyond the reach of thinking, without any precedent, without anything similar, that which is the utmost frontier and extolled as the supreme bliss, be immersed in it. [39]

Discarding all desire for objects, destroying the modes of the mind, the non-dual state of being the One, when the mind ceases to be, is the one called supreme bliss. [40]

All directions, all places, all times are conducive for the yoga of the Self, so say the scriptures. Differences of castes and orders of life and such, cannot cause any differences in the least to the nature of knowledge. [41]

The colour of milk is one, the colours of the cows many, so is the nature of knowledge, observe the wise ones. Beings of various marks and attributes, are like the cows, their realisation is the same; this is an example we should know. [42]

Brahman intimately pervades all, it shines with faces in all directions. Established in it without a pause, think not of differences such as regions and directions. [43]

In this world itself, there is no mark, lifestyle, or tradition, for the one who becomes of the nature of the Self. He has nothing to gain by any action of his; no action need he perform, nor any injunctions prescribing actions apply to him – know this. [44]

Moving or standing or sleeping, waking or taking food or water, in the face of the wind, the cold and the sun, unaffected will he be, in any state, at any time. [45]

Fear, indigence, sickness, burning fever, indigestion – even when all these affect, one established in the Self, peaceful and shining full, He is never at his wit’s end on any count; he will savour the satisfaction of the Self. [46]

Whether going forward or returning, I am not the one that moves forward or back. When enquired into there is no going or coming. In the ever changing dharma of Prakrti, the cause of illusive creation, I never was immersed, nor am I now. [47]

All activities prescribed are the work of Prakrti, the illusion. Prakrti, so spoken of, is the source of all action. “I am the immaculate”, “I am the actionless”, thus indeed will reflect the wise man, the knower of truth. [48]

For him there is no bondage of Prakrti, the delusion. He has earned the name of the liberated one. He shall never be touched by the defects spoken of as the action of Prakrti. [49]

The manner in which a lamp shines, destroying darkness with its light – in like manner, by destroying the enveloping darkness, arising from inexplicable ignorance, the Self, of the nature of the pure light of knowledge shines. [50]

Even as the lamp, with the fuel of ghee spent, attains nirvana (peace), the yogi, continuously contemplating on the Truth of the Self, will be at peace in the Self. Nothing greater is there to be attained than the Self – this is the truth. [51]

When the pot is carried, the space within the pot, though conceived of as carried: is it not the pot only that is carried? The Self too, like space, remains motionless. [52]

When the pot breaks, the space in the pot merges one with the great Space. When the inert body passes away, the Self, seemingly in the body, becomes immediately one with the Supreme Self. [53]

Thus, the Lord who is omniscient spoke with authority then: “One who is liberated, severed from all bondage, becomes all pervasive, endless, with absolute Awareness”. [54]

Discarding totally all the Agamas, attaining the pure samadhi of Atma yoga, realising, by due enquiry, there is nothing else greater than this, destroy all wrong ideas, in the mind, of differences. [55]

Meditating continuously on the great Knowledge thus, that yogi who attains ever the bodiless nature, that pure jnani whose dharma is the dharma of That (bodiless nature) alone, is the liberated one, shining inside and out, reaching across to every place. [56]

Omniscience and bliss, and mature wisdom, remaining independent, limitless strength – attaining all these, he shines ever, the Self without afflictions. With an immaculate body, he, as the Self, merges in Siva. [57]

Japa of the name, worship, bathing in holy waters, ritual sacrifices, none of these or others are needed. The fruits of dharma and adharma, water oblations to forefathers, none of these are for him. [58]

No injunctions for observance, no fasts, nothing required by way of getting into or out of (any action), no vows of celibacy for him, know this. [59]

Not having any recourse to falling into the fire or water, or falling from the mountain top, enjoy the feast of the Knowledge of Siva, eternal and pure. Rid of the rules applying to all creation, move about as You please. [60]

I tell You this is the Truth, the Truth, the Truth, thrice over. There is nothing greater than this, nothing greater is there to be known, nothing at all, nowhere ever. [61]

Rid of any blemish, rid of ignorance, with pure intellect, being the pure Self, by the pure conviction that all that is seen is pure, meditating on the immaculate nature, he shall attain Awareness. [62]

Aum Namah Shivayah

devotee
06 April 2010, 12:36 AM
Good post, Srinivas ! Welcome to this forum ! :)

OM

kd gupta
06 April 2010, 08:26 AM
Namaste,

-juan
This is great dear young man
Markandeya was as young devotee as you are . Fearlessness is the great recognition of a shiva devotee …..gita says….Abhayamsattvasanshuddhih…The devotee who has the fearlessness with clear heart and he is nobody but a Shiva devotee .
Stating snakes as garland , holding throat with poison , adorned by ashes of pyre , what is it….the victory over all Evils . O shiva , protect me .
Aum namah Shivay

yajvan
06 April 2010, 10:43 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namaste

you may wish to know Him a bit better by his 108 names offered in the śiva aṣṭottaraśata nāmāvali:

śiva - is 'auspicious', and we know we are talking of Śivabhaṭṭāraka,the Great Lord
aṣṭama - 8 or the 8th
stotra - a hymn of praise
śata - 100 : hence aṣṭama the 8th + śata 100 = 108
nāma - by name or name called
vali - this is also written bali - which means tribute, offering, gift, oblation; now vali is still complimentary as it suggests a line or a stroke made with fragrant unguents on the person Hence - (we are) offering (vali or bali) the 108 (aṣṭama + śata) names (nāma) of praise (stotra) of Śiva . Or, (we are) offering this hymn in praise of Śiva, 108 names.

The 108 names are at this HDF post : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3411&highlight=tri%26%23347%3Bula (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3411&highlight=tri%26%23347%3Bula)

praṇām