PDA

View Full Version : Lord Muruga

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 06:25 PM
Lord Muruga

Murugan, the ever-youthful champion-deity of South Asian song, legend and literature, has long been far more than His diminutive appearance suggests. Presenting the outward resemblance of a boy or a youth (or any other form that pleases Him!), Guha 'the Mysterious' repeatedly surfaces in myth, lore and legend from remote prehistory down to the present, for He always is in the 'here and now' (Tamil: ippō-ingē), within and yet beyond time and space.

if you call on Murugan Bhakti even occasionally, sooner or later you are likely to feel attached to Skanda-Murugan and the rainbow of spiritual paths that converge upon Him.

if you call on Murugan Bhakti even occasionally, sooner or later you are likely to feel attached to Skanda-Murugan and the rainbow of spiritual paths that converge upon Him.

Sri Jñāna Pandita: Murugan as Expositor of Gnosis with His symbols the Vēl Āyudha or Spear of Wisdom and vehicle/totem the Peacock - Phoenix. Behind Him rises the morning Sun symbolising the awakened state (bodhi) of the jñāni or Comprehensor.

Sri Jñāna Pandita: Murugan as Expositor of Gnosis with His symbols the Vēl Āyudha or Spear of Wisdom and vehicle/totem the Peacock - Phoenix. Behind Him rises the morning Sun symbolising the awakened state (bodhi) of the jñāni or Comprehensor.

http://www.hindutempleofflorida.org/images/event_images/kumaran.jpg

Source for all except the photo
http://murugan.org/bhakti.htm

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 06:29 PM
"The fiery Mass That stood as Brahman
That hasth no beginning
Assuming a form from formless,
From several unto One,
Thus rose a Tirumuruga
With six merciful faces and twelve eyes,
For the universe to get rescued."
-Kanta Puranam by Kacciyappa Sivachariyar

Muruga's glory and pre-eminence arise due to three reasons: He 'arrived' on this planet as the son of Lord Siva, as the younger brother of Lord Ganesa and as the nephew of Lord Narayana. He is venerated as Kaliyuga Varada, the God who blesses and protects those who ardently seek His grace (in this Age of Quarrel).4 (http://murugan.org/ayyar_1.htm#f4) Kausalya, Lord Rama's mother invoked the blessings of Skanda when Rama took leave of her prior to his departure to the forest as per King Dasaratha's wish.5 (http://murugan.org/ayyar_1.htm#f5) And in the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna declares that among all commanders, He is Skanda.6 (http://murugan.org/ayyar_1.htm#f6) Muruga contains in Himself the three divine eternal functions -- creation (sristi), protection (sthithi) and destruction (samhara) as evidenced by the three first letters in His name: MU -- Mukundan (Vishnu), RU -- Rudra (Siva) and KA -- Kamalan (Brahma). The three integral elements of Muruga's personality are spear (vel) in His hand, peacock as His mount and cock adorning His banner. Vel signifies jñanasakti (power of wisdom); this was given to Muruga by His Divine Mother. Parvati wishing Him victory over asuras (titans) led by the tyrannous Surapadma. The glittering spear of Muruga is venerated by devotees as Sakti Vel or Veera Vel signifying its extraordinary power and strength. Cock and peacock represent nada and bindu. The peacock displays the divine shape of Omkara when it spreads its magnificent plumes into a full-blown circular form, while the cock proclaims loudly the Pranava sound OM. Muruga shines as the very essence of the Vedas and mantras.7 (http://murugan.org/ayyar_1.htm#f7)

The epic Skanda Purana, one of the eighteen puranas created by Veda Vyasa, vividly narrates the circumstances which led to the divine 'appearance' of Muruga, His glory and heroic achievements.12 (http://murugan.org/ayyar_1.htm#f12) He 'rose' to protect gods who were subject to extreme tormentation and cruelty by demon Surapadma. They all appealed collectively to Lord Siva to come to their rescue. Moved by their plight, Siva willed to bring forth a powerful divine personality, an element of Himself, but yet distinct from Him, Who would have unparalleled bravery and Who alone would be able to slay Surapadma and his clan. The extremely powerful spark which emanated from His third eye was carried by the Fire God (Agni) and was deposited in Saravana ('stand of reeds') Lake; there arose six cute tiny tots who were looked after by six Krittika maidens; the six forms later united to become a single Six-Faced Child with resplendent beauty. Added to Siva's five faces Sadhyojata, Vamadeva, Aghora, Tatpurusa and Ishana was Adhomurka; thus He became Shanmukha. He is known as Saravanabhava as He emerged out of Saravana Lake, and Karttikeya since six Krittika maidens took the six babies in their arms and showered affection on them.
Source: http://murugan.org/ayyar_1.htm

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 06:31 PM
Namaste,

atanu, devotee, or easternmind could you help me understand this story below

Brahma, the Creator, happened to slight the young Muruga during one of his visits to Kailasa. Muruga wished to teach a lesson to the Creator for his act of imprudence. He asked the four-faced Creator the meaning of the Pranava. When he could not explain satisfactorily, Muruga taunted Brahma and not content with that imprisoned him too. He concluded that Brahma was not fit to perform the assigned job. He then assumed the role of the Creator! Muruga freed Brahma from prison when Siva, Vishnu and Indra prayed at His lotus Feet and requested for the release of the Creator
source: http://murugan.org/ayyar_1.htm

Eastern Mind
30 July 2009, 06:54 PM
I have no idea. lol

I don't focus on stories like this. But I sure love the energy coming from a 2000 year old murthi of Muruga like at Palani Hills. lol

Hope you get your answer.

Aum Saravanabhava

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 08:21 PM
Lol thanks brother. Well ill remain patient. I am considering praying to Lord Muruga aswell. I usually just pray to Lord Ganesha and Lord Siva and to the devas in generality.

Eastern Mind
27 September 2009, 07:34 AM
SS: Any luck contacting Murugan?

(I can't wait for Skanda Shasti)

Here's his phone number: Aum Saravanabhava ... repeat many times.

Aum Saravanabhava

LALKAR
27 September 2009, 10:23 AM
But I think we need Guru for chatting any mantra

Eastern Mind
27 September 2009, 10:41 AM
Namaste LALKAR:

I think you mean 'chanting', not chatting. No problem.

You are correct for many mantras. I think most gurus would say that "Aum" is perfectly safe.

Advice on this varies from guru to guru, I'm sure.

Many mantras are also bhajans, as you know. Aum Namasivaya has several variations in bhajans. I heard the mantra "Aum Saravanabhava" on loudspeakers at Tiruchendur temple for a straight 3 to 4 hour period, so it sort of got stuck in my head. I guess if the gurus there (Dharmapuram Aadheenam) were really concerned, they wouldn't have it playing, would they? But of course, as I said, various gurus would have different answers.

Aum Namasivaya

LALKAR
27 September 2009, 11:00 AM
Namaste Eastern Mind,

Yes 'chanting' it was spelling mistake
But True Guru wll give right answer one need a true Guru

Eastern Mind
27 September 2009, 11:23 AM
Lalkar: And your definition of true Guru is?

Aum Namasivaya

shian
27 September 2009, 08:13 PM
Namo Skandha Kumara Mahadepati
What is the meaning of Aum Sarvanabhava ?

Eastern Mind
27 September 2009, 08:25 PM
Shian : Aum Saravanabhava is a sacred mantra calling up Lord Murugan. Devotees will chant it while doing penance,like rolling around a temple. Saravana is esoterically understood as a lake of divine essence, or primal consciousness. I'll look for a you tube posting it, so you can listen in.

EM

Aum Namasivaya

LALKAR
29 September 2009, 09:39 AM
Lalkar: And your definition of true Guru is?

One who can show the right path

Eastern Mind
29 September 2009, 01:33 PM
One who can show the right path

I could go on questioning, (What is the 'right' path?) but I won't. Some would say the Gita can show the right path. But the Gita is not a Guru. It's a scripture.

Regarding initiation into mantras, I also believe that for the more powerful mantras, one should take initiation through a bonafide living Guru. But beliefs vary. Others might differ, and I certainly don't want to go into discussion about which gurus are true or not. That's up to the individual devotees to decide.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
29 September 2009, 02:47 PM
namaskar EM.
I haven't read the whole thread but this caught my eye.

But the Gita is not a Guru. It's a scripture.
Aum Namasivaya

Gita is not a Guru?!! Hmm... Who else could be a better 'Guru' than the set of instructions given by the Lord himself?

I think I know what you mean but I am bit confused at your statement. Please note that I just came out of the 'void' so my brain might not be functioning on all cylinders as I write this post.

Eastern Mind
29 September 2009, 05:10 PM
namaskar EM.
I haven't read the whole thread but this caught my eye.

Gita is not a Guru?!! Hmm... Who else could be a better 'Guru' than the set of instructions given by the Lord himself?

I think I know what you mean but I am bit confused at your statement. Please note that I just came out of the 'void' so my brain might not be functioning on all cylinders as I write this post.

lol ... Oh, you're functioning, at least on most cylinders. (Once upon a time I owned a motorcycle ... Yamaha Maxim 650 ... my 'friends' at work pulled 3 of the 4 spark plugs, and it still ran, albeit roughly ... on one. When I stopped at a gas station, the attendant took one quick look and started laughing.) ) You just didn't read the whole context of the thread, It started out about initiation into mantras by a true guru. The day I put a copy of a book, albeit a sacred one, to my ear, and hear a mantram being pronounced in a perfect way is the day that I'm not functioning on all cylinders.

And hey, I'm keeping to my word about aVOIDing that somewhat now empty debate. I'll allow myself to make such comment on another thread, I guess.

Another great Guru, besides the Gita (and a few other books) is the one known as Experience. He can be one tough Guru though.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
29 September 2009, 11:52 PM
namaskar,

You just didn't read the whole context of the thread, It started out about initiation into mantras by a true guru. Another great Guru, besides the Gita (and a few other books) is the one known as Experience. He can be one tough Guru though.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks for being gentle. Yes, you are correct. I didn't read the whole thread!

rainycity
25 November 2009, 06:06 AM
surely chanting the well known mantras of the deities can be done without a guru?

Chris
27 December 2009, 11:19 AM
Lol thanks brother. Well ill remain patient. I am considering praying to Lord Muruga aswell. I usually just pray to Lord Ganesha and Lord Siva and to the devas in generality.

I have heard from others that patience is needed to spiritually connect with Lord Murugan. I commented once that I did not get the same feeling of divine presence from Murugan's murti that I get from Shiva and Ganesha. I was told that Murugan moves very quickly, and it is easy not to notice him. I have been told that when you progress with yoga and meditation his quick presence is helpful to quench distracting thoughts before they grow, but first you need the foundation, which can be built by puja and contemplation on Ganesha. When you are ready Ganesha will make you aware of Murugan. I am still waiting myself but others have confirmed for me that Murugan is often elusive at first.

Aum Shivaya
Chris

kshama
27 December 2009, 12:00 PM
I have heard from others that patience is needed to spiritually connect with Lord Murugan. I commented once that I did not get the same feeling of divine presence from Murugan's murti that I get from Shiva and Ganesha. I was told that Murugan moves very quickly, and it is easy not to notice him. I have been told that when you progress with yoga and meditation his quick presence is helpful to quench distracting thoughts before they grow, but first you need the foundation, which can be built by puja and contemplation on Ganesha. When you are ready Ganesha will make you aware of Murugan. I am still waiting myself but others have confirmed for me that Murugan is often elusive at first.

Aum Shivaya
Chris

Namaskar Chris Ji,

Well Lord Muruga is known for his powerful and fast actions. In my family, my dad and sister was once having some ailments, in different occasions. So they prayed to Lord Muruga and pledged to do some offering of flowers during Thaipusam (a festival for Lord Muruga). The ailment my father had vanished within a week and my sister had her problems stopped within 3 days. Now there were no traces of the ailments in them anymore.

Personally, I too did pray to Lord Muruga when I needed some help in my life but the prayers were not answered. Individual karma plays some role when dealing with devotion and to an extent how fast the Gods and Goddesses respond to us. God knows what is best to a worshipper and when to give direct/indirect answers to a prayer or even when to give you spiritual experiences.

We should continue to pray and devote time worshipping. In my humble opinion, God is never elusive. He is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient.

Chris
27 December 2009, 01:27 PM
We should continue to pray and devote time worshipping. In my humble opinion, God is never elusive. He is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient.
Namaste Kshama ji,
Well, said - of course you are absolutely correct. Any time we don't think we see God it is our own veiling rather than absence of God

ScottMalaysia
28 December 2009, 06:32 PM
Lord Murugan is the patron deity of Tamil Nadu. Therefore, he is worshipped in places with a lot of South Indian people, like Malaysia. About 13km north of KL there is a sacred cave temple dedicated to Lord Murugan, called the Batu Caves. This temple has a 42.7m high statue of Lord Murugan at the entrance - the largest Murugan statue in the world.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6EGjAQ-bw7o/SVtasIYw8TI/AAAAAAAAAeM/70QKlomRd7I/s400/Batu%20Caves%20007.jpg

The main festival for Murugan devotees is Thaipusam, which falls in January or February (the Tamil month of Thai). On that day, devotees who have made a vow to do so will carry a kavadi to the main shrine (in KL, inside the Batu Caves). The simplest kavadi is a pot of milk carried on the head, but more elaborate ones are portable altars to Lord Murugan, carried on the shoulders. Sometimes devotees will stick spears through their cheeks or put hooks in their backs. My wife told me that they are in trance when this happens and they don't feel any pain.

A guy from India whom I met on the train told me that Thaipusam is celebrated much more in Malaysia than it is in India.

Eastern Mind
24 January 2010, 07:15 PM
Vannakkam: This coming Friday is Thai Pusam, the great night of penance for all Murugan bhaktars. Shall be an interesting night, indeed. One Mauritian devotee here is sponsoring temple abhishekham for ten straight nights, with the tenth being Thai Pusam. This family by themselves will have built of the vibration by then.

Aum Saravanabhava

Spiritualseeker
24 January 2010, 07:18 PM
are there any rituals one can do at home to honor this festival?

Sherab
24 January 2010, 08:02 PM
are there any rituals one can do at home to honor this festival?

Seconded.

Eastern Mind
24 January 2010, 09:41 PM
Vannakkam: The interenet is FULL of info. Here is one link I liked.
http://penangpage.com/thaipusam/

It is mainly a temple festival, but certainly penance is involved. Taking a vow of silence for a few hours even would be a start. If you have a Murugan murthi, (Kind of hard to find actually) an abhishekham would be appropriate. Maybe a fast as well.

Aum Saravanabhava

Eastern Mind
30 January 2010, 09:51 AM
Vannakkam: So last night was Thai Pusam. Here at the temple I attend, no one carried kavadi this year. A devotee from Mauritius had sponsored 10 straight days of abhishekham, and last night the sahasranama (1008 names) archana was done. It was quite inner, IMHO, but who knows? I hope anyone else who celebrated this festival had an inner austere moment or two.

Aum Saravanabhava

Ganeshprasad
30 January 2010, 04:37 PM
Pranam EM

Vannakkam: So last night was Thai Pusam. Here at the temple I attend, no one carried kavadi this year. A devotee from Mauritius had sponsored 10 straight days of abhishekham, and last night the sahasranama (1008 names) archana was done. It was quite inner, IMHO, but who knows? I hope anyone else who celebrated this festival had an inner austere moment or two.

Aum Saravanabhava

I had witnessed a wonderful ceremony for my first visit to a Murgan temple in East London today, people carrying milk in a pot on their head after a puja process, culminating in abhishek. it was a wonderful experience, what a pity i could not understand a word of Tamil but the chanting was uplifting.
Perhaps you can tell me more about Kavadi
Jai Shree rishna Jai Lord Murga

Eastern Mind
30 January 2010, 05:32 PM
Vanakkam Ganeshprasad:

You were at the Murugan Highgate Temple, no?

There is lots of info on kavadi on line. It is a method of prayer by South Indian, mostly Tamil, for two main reasons, but often a vow for a prayer when He (Murugan) answers. It can get quite severe as you can see if you look around the net.

The indentured labour Tamils spread by the British are particularly involved in Fiji, Mauritius, Reunion Island, (There it is called Cavadee festival even, not Thai Pusam. Malaysia, and South Africa. You will also find it elsewhere but not quite so intensely. Because of the high number of participants, the devotees certainly believe kavadi works.

I too do not understand Tamil, but a really good thevaram singer on his or her own can really blow my mind with the sound alone. We are fortunate to have 2 people here who are exceptional at this. I just close my eyes and float away in some sort of sound induced ecstasy.

Another decent kavadi link (Singapore) http://www.cpamedia.com/culture/thaipusam/

Aum Saravanabhava

Sherab
30 January 2010, 05:56 PM
Last night, the full moon was amazong over here. Clouds in the sky, from which peered a full moon, with rainbow like light coming from it...

i should of realized it was something special...

Eastern Mind
07 February 2012, 04:16 PM

Aum Saravanabhava

Vannakkam: So last night was Thai Pusam again. because of a health condition, I was unable to attend, but Ganga went. She said it was quite amazing, not the people so much, but the shakti. So what can I say. I have to agree. All husbands do. Hope others who celebrated this got something out of it.

Aum Namasivaya

shian
07 February 2012, 07:24 PM
Oh i miss it :(

Eastern Mind
07 February 2012, 07:47 PM
Oh i miss it :(

Vannakkam shian: Well, at least we have youtube. Tons of videos have already been loaded. I don't know if I could handle the crowds at Batu Caves. I think Penang or Ipoh might be better. Next year I should be in Mauritius for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdN-xlek1zM&feature=related

Aum Saravanabhava

shian
10 April 2012, 01:52 AM
i want to understand more about Lord Murugan
but so many literature on internet and book is only in story version (outside)
no many peoples explain the inner meaning of the story
so from outside, make the new comer feel confused with many strange story

Eastern Mind
10 April 2012, 08:04 AM
Vannakkam Shian: What is it you want to know? Much of it would be impossible to convey, as its more in the line of feeling. Traditionally in Saivism, he is thought of as the leader of the devas. Often he's referred to ads the God of Yoga, and that's why so many austerities are associated with His worship.

Aum Namasivaya

shian
10 April 2012, 11:19 PM
Vanakkam EM

Thank you very much :)

i want to know the meaning behind the story of The Birth of Murugan

This is i found a website of Shiva Devotee, but i dont know which Sampradaya this, but He have do explanation about inner meanings of many sacred story, so the new comer will understand secret behind many story, and get the spiritual nectar :

http://sivanandaonline.org/newsupdates/?p=23

sunyata07
11 April 2012, 02:42 PM
Namaste Shian,

I'd also love to more about Murugan. From what EM's told me before, I think He's one of the trickier Devas to connect to because He's seated a little higher up on the chakra system along the spine. My guess is that Murugan is one of those Devas you must experience from inside a temple or have face-to-face view of a murti in order to understand the energy this form of God is capable of transmitting. It must be extraordinary to feel His vibrations.

Could one of the reasons why it's so hard to find material and information on Murugan is because He is so closely tied with the Tamil culture and language?

Om namah Shivaya

shian
12 April 2012, 03:01 AM
Namaste Sunyata,

there is a website about murgan, also availabe in english and tamil. So many article and story, but i read that seems like only talk about history and outer aspect. Not like inner explanation.

sunyata07
18 April 2012, 01:15 PM
Yes, I understand what you mean, Shian. I want to read more about the mystical and spiritual explanations of Lord Murugan, not necessarily just the history and the cultural aspects which you can find all over the internet. I remember finding a Hindu blog that was an absolutely beautiful piece of reading. He was a Murugan bhaktar and would fill in a piece about his daily life and his experiences with this God. I wish I could find it again, but it was one of those accidental finds on the internet that seem almost impossible to dig up again months later! :(

Om namah Shivaya