PDA

View Full Version : Going to Temple tomorrow

Spiritualseeker
30 July 2009, 08:27 PM
Namaste,

I plan if it is Lord Siva's Will to go to the temple here in Orlando again (not the one i just recently visited, but the very first one I visited). Should I bring like bananas or other fruit? If I have it down right we are to bring these offerings to the temple and the priest help us offer them to the deity? Looking forward to your input EAstern mind

-juan

Eastern Mind
30 July 2009, 08:32 PM
Do what YOU FEEL. Please don't rely on a gutless wonder like me to do your thinking for you.

Enjoy the temple.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
30 July 2009, 08:46 PM
You are very lucky!!

namaste

Eastern Mind
30 July 2009, 09:32 PM
Sherab:

Your post made me realise that those of us who live close to a temple often take it for granted. In the summer time, for 6 months, I am outside at our temple on average 6 days a week, often twice a day. I get to watch 'the regulars' . Ganesha here has 1 100%er. Since I started landscape/fence/lawn volunteering, there hasn't been a day go by when this fellow doesn't come. Every single morning about 8:20. Its on his way to work, I think. Another couple (the wife is on dialysis) comes about 95% of the time. At 10:40, 5 minutes before the morning aarti puja, in comes their car. Another lady comes about 90% of the time. Around 10 o'clock, usually during the abhishekam, and she leaves before others arrive. Likes the temple more or less to herself. Then there are those who come 3 or 4 times a week, and those who come every single Tuesday, or every single Thursday. Its so very individual. Others rarely come but when they do they give like $5000 for the privelege.

I myself only go (to worship, dressed to worship) about once a week, perhaps less. But when I hear of your going to temple as being so special, its inspiring.

So really do enjoy your trip.

Aum namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 10:41 AM
Namaste,

So I went to the temple and saw Lord Ganesha and Lord siva. Also the many other deities. I made an offering to Lord Buddha and to Lord Ganesha. I circumbulated the shrine dedicated to the lingam and Nataraja. I also circumbulated Lord Ganesha. I asked the priest there to teach me puja but he said he didnt have time. But in all honesty I think he didnt want to teach me because I wasnt "born" hindu. Too bad the other priest wasnt there. The reason why i have such thoughts is that just before i asked him he lead a hindu family in devotion. But when I asked him he didnt have time. Oh well.

I went to the front desk girl. She was probably 18 or so. I asked her if it was alright if I meditated in the temple. So I did meditate maybe only 10 minutes or so. Calmed my mind and body. Then I went back to the girl and asked her about home puja and she simply told me an easy method just simply offering of something to God. She was very kind. I asked her where i could get a Siva statue. She took down my name and number and said they will call me if they can find one. I thanked her for her time and left the temple in good spirits. Only slightly bitter over the incident with the priest. But nontheless I knew not every hindu thought like he did.
When I was in the temple i was extremely anxious. It is because I have social anxiety disorder. Some people simply call this shyness, but its a condition where I feel everybody is critical of me. But through worship of Lord ganesha and meditation I gave myself the courage to talk to the lady and also to the priest (Even though he shot me down). I simply left bananas before Lord Ganapati with no such prayer to offer it. I will assume that my LOrd will forgive my ignorance.

Anyways overall it was a good experience. I am thinking of making Thursdays and fridays (which are my days off) and maybe Sunday (after work) to go to the temple for worship and Meditation.

With love
-juan

Star
31 July 2009, 10:52 AM
Namaste SS :)

Sounds like you had an overall good visit! I still haven't managed to visit my "local" temple, I do feel prepared to enter it now, so it's mainly because of their opening hours which aren't very good for someone who's depending on public transportation as I am (and it takes me 1h20 at the very best to get there...). Hopefully I'll manage next week! :)

Hopefully next time the other priest will be there to help you out.

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 10:56 AM
Namaste Star,

I have to encourage you to make a trip. I felt a calming peace when I was in the temple. Barely anyone was there. The Images of Lord Ganesha felt that he was truely watching over me. He didnt care what skin color I have or where I am from. I think I made a connection with this beautiful elephant faced Deity. I also felt that Sri Buddha was with me. I was greatful for learning meditation in buddhism so I offered him money as my sincere gratitude. Lord Nataraja (Siva) was not absent either. He occupied my mind and it was great seeing him though I must say I enjoy seeing the Siva statue at the other temple (the statue is bigger) this nataraja statue was only about 6 to 8 inches. The Ganesha however was life size and the carvings around the shrine had Lord Ganapati in his many different forms.

I cant wait until you get a chance to visit the temple. Please tell us your experience when you do.

-juan

Star
31 July 2009, 11:02 AM
Namaste,

I will definitely try and visit, I must say your post made a difference - it was very inspiring. For the past two weeks my Kathak lessons at the Hindu Community Centre didn't allow me to go to the temple on their afternoon opening hours (7-9pm), as that was the exact same timetable as the lessons (and even if they finished early, I wouldn't have gone to the temple all sweaty and unclean!)...

sunyata07
31 July 2009, 11:44 AM
Namaste, SS

You are so lucky to have been able to visit a temple! It sounds like it was a great experience. Don't be discouraged by those priests - I don't believe it should deter you for a second. I am also really self-conscious about myself, even if it is to perform a simple offering to Lord Ganesha at home - I know I'm probably not doing half the things right or chanting his names correctly, but I know all he asks is love and sincerity.

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 12:00 PM
That was beautifully said Shunyata.

Sherab
31 July 2009, 12:09 PM
Before i do any puja, i have been sure to learn sanskrit and devanagari - which is what I am doing now (at least the devanagari part).

From there, i will learn hindi :)

Eastern Mind
31 July 2009, 12:58 PM
SS: Next time you go, go to the front desk office where the girl is and ask if you can purchase an archana. (Some North Indian temples may not offer this, but it sounds like this one will, as it sounds to me like an amalgamation type temple.) Then the priest WILL pay more attention to you. The archana may cost as much as $10 (probably only $5) but it will be worth it, both in you looking like you know something, and in God's grace. The archana will be done to a specific deity or your choosing. TYou will be asked to provide your name and nakshatra. I don't know how to find out your nakshatra, but Star does, cause she knows hers. It is also customary to offer a small monetary gift (called dakshina) for the priest. This I feel will open him up more to you. Probably, when you witnessed him guiding the Hindu family with their prayers, they were gewtting some sort of rite (samskara) done, such as name giving, ear piercing, first solid food, etc.

Hopefully you will continue to go.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 01:26 PM
Namaste,

Thank you easternmind. I am trying to understand this process. Do you know somewhere where I can read more about it in a simple way?

Eastern Mind
31 July 2009, 01:35 PM
Does this temple have a website? if so, can you post the addy? One of the misconceptions from west to east is the role of the priest. The priest generally speaking is there to serve God, not the people. It is God's house, not just a building where like minds congregate (like a church) In South Indian style temples, it is even more clear. People are sort of secondary. God comes fiorst. In North Indian style, you would more likely here talks, like Frank Morales.

Aum namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 02:26 PM
This is the temple http://www.hindutempleorlando.org/about-temple

One of the priest there I hear is South Indian.

Om Namah Sivaya

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 02:28 PM
Oh I found it

heres the link http://www.hindutempleorlando.org/temple-services/poojas-and-rates so its $11.00

So when I request it I specify a Deity? Like Lord Ganesha? What do I ask from the priest?

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 02:31 PM
So, maybe thats why he didnt teach me. I have to pay to do pooja?

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 02:39 PM
The Ganesh Athrvashirsham looks interesting. It is $21.00 What exactly is it? Is it just having the priest invoke the Deity for me to protect me etc?

Sherab
31 July 2009, 02:44 PM
The Ganesh Athrvashirsham looks interesting. It is $21.00 What exactly is it? Is it just having the priest invoke the Deity for me to protect me etc?

Its the recitation of the 1,008 names of ganesha.

and also, pooja can be any ceremony as an offering. Maybe asking how to do HOME (as in your house) puja would be better :)

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 02:46 PM
Now why dont I learn how to recite Ganesh Athrvashirsham and save $21.00?

Sherab
31 July 2009, 02:58 PM
Now why dont I learn how to recite Ganesh Athrvashirsham and save $21.00?

Priests are trained in sanskrit - for example, there are 3 "s" sounds, two different r sounds, and l sounds, both treated as vowels.

Of course, english comes close, but the a with a line over it actually is for a longer "ah" sound, and not the long a - "ay" we think of in english, and so on...

Of course, if you learn sanskrit (and possibly hindi), you don't need a priest - but even then, they are fully trained, and probably have done a lot of japa.

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 03:02 PM
But I mean they have audio on the web. That is how I learned some of the Siva mantras so that I know I am reciting it correctly. Ofcourse it would be difficult to the read the text but if I memorize the prayers in sanskrit using the audio and repeating it until I absorb it then I think it may be sufficient for me.

Eastern Mind
31 July 2009, 03:51 PM
Vannakkam:

Yes this is an amalgamated temple, trying to serve all Indian communities at once. You can tell by the picture of the roof where they have both north and south architecture. There are few, if any, temples like this in India. Over here they have their strengths and weaknesses.

Anyways, I see you have already looked at the prices and services offered. This is typical of any Hindu temple. It is not a business, yet it does need to provide for itself. Traditionally, the priest woks for nothing or very little, so that is why dakshina is expected. Archana is usually bought when someone has a special prayer that would be somewhat out of the ordinary, or to celebrate a birthday, etc. Mystically (not necessarily) , the priest introduces you to the deity, by saying your name, and having you stand in front of the deity so he can see you. It is a more personal prayer, and most Hindus beleive that this would increase the chances of it getting answered. (Otherwise whats the point?)

I would recommend still that you get an archana as its the cheapest. (here its only $5, and in India its often only 2 or 3 rupees.) Of course there is no need for this, only if you feel like it. The oblations that go on in a Hindu temple are many and varied depending on each person's mood, tradition background, time they have, favorite deity etc. If you could sit there and watch for a few days, like 6 or 7 hours a day, you'd get this drift. Another reason why temples are fascinating places.

Patience, patience - SS, I have been going to a temple at least once a week for some 20 years, and I still do not know what some of the ceremonies are for. Some are caste-centered for example. Google them separately, I suppose. As for Sanskrit, I memorised a few slokas when I was a pandaram, but have lost most of them now, as that service is now provided for by a very comepent Brahmin who was trained from a very young age. Sanskrit is a priestly heriditary language used almost entirely only in pujas. Very few Indians would declare their mother tongue as Sanskrit. It would take a very long time and great effort to learn. Besides, you would need to find a competent teacher, which over here in the west would be difficulty. The priesthood is a hereditary (caste - Brahmin) institution. Besides there is no real need to learn Hindi or Sanskrit or Tamil. If you really want to, fine, but its not necessary. Gurus such as Subramuniyaswami had the mission to translate it all, mysticism included, into modern American English, just for those souls like you and me.

Hope this helps a bit.

Aum namasivaya

Sherab
31 July 2009, 04:15 PM
Hi EM,

I agree completely. However, it would be good to learn sanskrit and hindi - specifically, since devanagari is used with hindi :)

Eastern Mind
31 July 2009, 04:28 PM
Sherab:
Never said it wouldn't be good. I'd love to learn Sanskrit, and Tamil especially. It seems like such an effort at my age. A long time ago I sat in on the beginner's Tamil class here. I felt so embarrassed because these 4 year old kids were showing me up. I would need a very compassionate, patient, determined teacher. Languages aren't my forte. (But there is a young chap that comes to our temple who has a form of autism, I believe, who picks up languages easily. He knows Hindi, Tamil, Telegu, and probably some more by now. Really odd. I think. ) But yes, go for it, by all means. Then you can more closely observe these discussions on here.

Aum Namsivaya

Sherab
31 July 2009, 04:41 PM
Sherab:
Never said it wouldn't be good. I'd love to learn Sanskrit, and Tamil especially. It seems like such an effort at my age. A long time ago I sat in on the beginner's Tamil class here. I felt so embarrassed because these 4 year old kids were showing me up. I would need a very compassionate, patient, determined teacher. Languages aren't my forte. (But there is a young chap that comes to our temple who has a form of autism, I believe, who picks up languages easily. He knows Hindi, Tamil, Telegu, and probably some more by now. Really odd. I think. ) But yes, go for it, by all means. Then you can more closely observe these discussions on here.

Aum Namsivaya

Em, do you know hindi? Do you have any good resources?

I learned some punjabi during my few months of sikhism before becoming hindu - phrases like ki haal hai, etc. curious if they are used in hindi.

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 05:46 PM
Namaste,

that does help EM, but what were you saying that I have to find what corresponds to my name? Thats what I am not understanding. Is it some zodiac sign or something?

Star
31 July 2009, 05:51 PM
Namaste SS :)

I think you're referring to the Nakshatra? It's related to Jyotisha, yeah. If you google for it, there's a lot of online resources which will calculate your nakshatra for you, based on your date, time and location of birth. I tried a few and got consistent results, so seems like they do the job properly!

Eastern Mind
31 July 2009, 05:53 PM
Star beat me to it... here's one:

http://www.astrojyoti.com/calculator.htm

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 06:05 PM
Namaste,

Thanks guys. I dont know exact time i Was born nor the lattitude but i put date of birth it says Vishakha

Star
31 July 2009, 06:11 PM
If you know the city/town/village you were born in, you can easily find the latitude/longitude by using google, too. :)

Sherab
31 July 2009, 06:22 PM
Mines is Poorva Phalguni... and it is scarily accurate.. even told me that I love to worship Shiva Lingam!

http://www.astrojyoti.com/poorvaphalguni.htm

For SS(not sure how correct the site is): http://www.astrojyoti.com/visakha.htm

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 08:06 PM
Mine didnt work right................

I was born in Pontiac, Michigan Latitude: 42.6388889 and
Longitude: -83.2911111 Month and Year:4-25-1986But its not letting place it in correctly.

Eastern Mind
31 July 2009, 08:13 PM
SS: The linked one I gave you worked every time for my family members, but one was different than from the information we previous had. I'm not really convinced of the reliability of jyothish. Which one were you using?

Aum

Spiritualseeker
31 July 2009, 08:20 PM
I used this link

http://www.astrojyoti.com/calculator.htm

Star
01 August 2009, 05:36 AM
Did you try to input a time of birth? Even if you don't know the exact time, perhaps an approximate one...I can't recall exactly right now, but I think it influenced the nakshatra (it changed every X minutes, I think).

devotee
01 August 2009, 07:19 AM
Namaste EM, SS, Star and Sherab,

I am enjoying your conversation. :)

SS, I don't think money should be a problem in any temple. The temple is supposed to be all. Yes, if you can pay, it helps the temple, as it certainly needs donation to survive.

Regarding special Abhishekam & others, normally people do it on special occasions only. Yes, if you buy Archana ticket, the puja is done by the priest & you have satisfaction of doing it correctly. You can do it yourself too without buying an Archana ticket.

I hope it helps.

OM

Spiritualseeker
01 August 2009, 07:21 AM
Namaste devotee,

thank you for joining the conversation. I am thinking of doing the achana so I can see how the priest does it then later I will try to memorize some phrases so that I can do it correctly myself. I even was contemplating in the future having the priest recite the 1,008 names of Ganesha for me and invoke his protections. I have to show Lord Ganesha I am serious about this path and that I am serious about God Realization.

with love
-juan