PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of Lord Muruga! (VIOLIN/MRIDANGAM)

TatTvamAsi
31 July 2009, 10:59 PM
Namaste,

This is an exquisite piece of music by Ms. A. Kanyakumari (violin) and Mr. Mannargudi Eswaran (mridangam).

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIpA0mwftlI&feature=channel_page
(the music starts @ 24 seconds)

Btw, apparently Ms. Kanyakumari set a world record by playing the violin for 29 hours non-stop! Amazing!

Namaskar.

Sherab
06 August 2009, 11:39 AM
Namaste,

This is an exquisite piece of music by Ms. A. Kanyakumari (violin) and Mr. Mannargudi Eswaran (mridangam).

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIpA0mwftlI&feature=channel_page
(the music starts @ 24 seconds)

Btw, apparently Ms. Kanyakumari set a world record by playing the violin for 29 hours non-stop! Amazing!

Namaskar.

Simply amazing.

thank you

Eastern Mind
06 August 2009, 01:25 PM
She was good, but I still prefer nadeswaram. Live. (I'm spoiled I think.)

Does anyone know the history of the violin (a European instrument) being adopted in India. and why?

Aum

TatTvamAsi
06 August 2009, 09:59 PM
Namaste EM & Sherab,

haha, yes, nadaswaram is very nice indeed however I am partial to stringed instruments (I play the Veena, albeit amateurishly). :D

As far as the violin being adopted in India, it is not entirely accurate. Stringed instruments, of which the Rudra Veena is the oldest in the world, was invented in India. The violin, a different instrument, first got its features in Europe however it must have descended from some precursor; perhaps an Indian stringed instrument.

The modern violin being adopted in India is interesting however because it is tuned and played, quite differently than its western counterpart.

Here is a good explanation or rather an introduction to Indian classical music by Ravi Shankar, the world famous Sitar player: http://www.ravishankar.org/indian_music.html

Of course, I am not an expert on music, especially the historicity of the instruments but given the fact that music, dance, and drama find their origins in the Vedas & the Natya Shastra, I am quite confident in attributing the origins of most of the world's major instruments or their precursors to Ancient India and the Hindu religion.

Namaskar.

She was good, but I still prefer nadeswaram. Live. (I'm spoiled I think.)

Does anyone know the history of the violin (a European instrument) being adopted in India. and why?

Aum

shian
07 August 2009, 01:26 AM
and what the relation with Lord Muruga ?

Eastern Mind
07 August 2009, 06:34 AM
TTA:

No doubt Europe got the idea of a stringed instrument from India. But some stayed in Europe, but the violin for some reason sort of returned. I just find it curious. The banjo and guitar never followed along.

At our annual festival, the temple always hires a thavil/nadeswaram combo. (From a company in Toronto who brings them over from India in two year stints.) Boy, they add a lot.

As far as the complexity of Indian instruments goes, I was once asked by a young lad here if I could help him buy an "Indian drum". I responded, "Which kind?"
"You mean there's more than one?" lol
So then I found a website that had a chart on it. He was really amazed. So was I, but not to the same degree.

Aum Namasivaya

TatTvamAsi
07 August 2009, 03:36 PM
and what the relation with Lord Muruga ?

Namaste Shian,

The song in the video, SrI VallI DevaSenapatE is about Lord Muruga.

SrI Valli is the consort (wife) of Lord Muruga and SenapatE is another name for Lord Muruga (Lord of War/Army) [sena = army in Sanskrit].

It is just a devotional song for Lord Muruga.

Namaskar.

TatTvamAsi
07 August 2009, 03:39 PM
Namaste EM,

Yes, music is definitely soul-stirring!

What I find strange, or don't understand, is the suggestion that there was "no music/dance" during the Satya Yuga. Why? I am a bit puzzled by it because Carnatic and Hindustani music is always in devotion to God so why was that prohibited or not developed (?) during the Satya Yuga. Perhaps it is just a Puranic account.

Namaskar.

TTA:

No doubt Europe got the idea of a stringed instrument from India. But some stayed in Europe, but the violin for some reason sort of returned. I just find it curious. The banjo and guitar never followed along.

At our annual festival, the temple always hires a thavil/nadeswaram combo. (From a company in Toronto who brings them over from India in two year stints.) Boy, they add a lot.

As far as the complexity of Indian instruments goes, I was once asked by a young lad here if I could help him buy an "Indian drum". I responded, "Which kind?"
"You mean there's more than one?" lol
So then I found a website that had a chart on it. He was really amazed. So was I, but not to the same degree.

Aum Namasivaya

squibriviv
05 October 2009, 09:20 PM
Hello everybody!
I am a new member in this forum.I love it so much .
I aslo want to ask you one question.Please tell me your idea.It is so important to me :
How cam I make friend with a pretty girl ?
Thank a lot!

satay
05 October 2009, 09:39 PM
namaskar,

How cam I make friend with a pretty girl ?
Thank a lot!

I think you are on the wrong forum. These forums are for discussion of sanatana dharma.

atanu
07 October 2009, 09:14 AM
Namaste Friends

I have a live performance CD of Shakti group, which comprises of John Mclaughlin (guitar), L. Subramaniam (violin), and Zakir Hussain (tabla). A fourth ghatam player is also in the group but I do not know the name at the moment.

On the album there is long piece called What Need Have I For This - What need have I for That -- I am dancing at the feet of Lord. The piece is pure wizardry. Especially near the end when all instruments come to life, supported and probably lead by Zakir's wizardly control of his fingers on his tabla.

Western drums are loud but come nowhere near the lightning like nimbleness of Indian wizards. Actually hearing is believing. The mp3 file is 40 Mb. I can upload the file on esnip, but I am a bit apprehensive about breaking copyright rules.

Om Namah Shivaya