PDA

View Full Version : shiva lingam store

Sherab
03 August 2009, 06:58 PM
Where can one find a good store in which to purchase shiva lingam for offering, not for wearing?

thank you!

also, what is a normal size for a shiv ling for offering?

Eastern Mind
03 August 2009, 08:15 PM
There are several different kinds ... plastic, molded with a concrete like substance (fake stone) granite, marble, ceramic, brass, or narmada (natural granite from India). Depending on whether or not you see it as symbolic, or actually holding a spiritual mystic vibration might influence what you buy. A 'normal' shrine room one might be 2 inches. Narmada would need a base of some sort .. not sure how you would do that. Indian stores often sell the cheaper ones, and some new age crystal like stores sometimes sell narmadas. Have you looked on line?

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
03 August 2009, 08:27 PM
There are several different kinds ... plastic, molded with a concrete like substance (fake stone) granite, marble, ceramic, brass, or narmada (natural granite from India). Depending on whether or not you see it as symbolic, or actually holding a spiritual mystic vibration might influence what you buy. A 'normal' shrine room one might be 2 inches. Narmada would need a base of some sort .. not sure how you would do that. Indian stores often sell the cheaper ones, and some new age crystal like stores sometimes sell narmadas. Have you looked on line?

Aum Namasivaya

I have, and found a good large one with $199.

I also have seen some 2 inch ones, but i thought hose were for wearing.

I was looking at rudrakasha-ratna.com again. heres the link: http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/dispProduct.php?prodId=5259

off-topic: Do you have any good images of murugan?

Eastern Mind
03 August 2009, 08:51 PM
Sherab: That would be a very large lingam for a home shrine. The two inch ones wouldn't be for wearing. The ones that are usually worn are quite small, and often imprinted on gold, like on a thali.

There are lots of images of Murugan on line, if you do a search. There are web sites devoted to him, and you can look at the websites for large Murugan temples like Palani, Swamilmalai, Tiruchendur, etc.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
03 August 2009, 09:20 PM
Sherab: That would be a very large lingam for a home shrine. The two inch ones wouldn't be for wearing. The ones that are usually worn are quite small, and often imprinted on gold, like on a thali.

There are lots of images of Murugan on line, if you do a search. There are web sites devoted to him, and you can look at the websites for large Murugan temples like Palani, Swamilmalai, Tiruchendur, etc.

Aum Namasivaya

thank you. So you suggest the two inches? I need something with a deep yoni to catch the liquid well and to make it flow into the container :)

yajvan
03 August 2009, 09:21 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

Namasté Sherab (et.al)

If you are interested in liṅga-s please consider the Śiva mahāpurāṇa, Vidyeśvara¹ saṃhitā (section), 16th adhyāya (chapter), discusses pārthiva¹ liṅga and will give you some insights on this matter.

praṇām

words & references

Vidyeśvara विद्येश्वर- of a class of emancipated beings
pārthiva पार्थिव means earthen , earthy , earthly , being in or relating to or coming from the earth , terrestrial; also means fit for kings.
liṅga - my view and others on this matter - http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26160&postcount=2 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26160&postcount=2)

Eastern Mind
04 August 2009, 06:26 AM
Sherab: As far as catching the liquid goes, it is not inappropriate to have the lingam and yoni set upon an additional square stand. This can easily be made from concrete or tile. The lingam in the temple I go to has this. That lingam is quite small. According to agamas, lingams that are in temples that are dedicated to other Saiva deities need to be quite small or else the temple will eventually turn into a Siva temple. Might I also suggest watchiong the Himalayan Academy youtube Siva abhishekam. That lingam, although crystal, is quite small.

Often when abhishekam is done, liquid goes everywhere, not just off the designed spout, so that is a point to consider.

Have fun. Aum Namasivaya.

Sherab
04 August 2009, 09:47 AM
Sherab: As far as catching the liquid goes, it is not inappropriate to have the lingam and yoni set upon an additional square stand. This can easily be made from concrete or tile. The lingam in the temple I go to has this. That lingam is quite small. According to agamas, lingams that are in temples that are dedicated to other Saiva deities need to be quite small or else the temple will eventually turn into a Siva temple. Might I also suggest watchiong the Himalayan Academy youtube Siva abhishekam. That lingam, although crystal, is quite small.

Often when abhishekam is done, liquid goes everywhere, not just off the designed spout, so that is a point to consider.

Have fun. Aum Namasivaya.

thank you em. I have a small drop cloth set up to catch any liquid, but hopefully most of it will go sown the spot (and into a bowl)

namaste.