PDA

View Full Version : Ganesh and Vishnu

shian
04 August 2009, 08:46 PM
Om Ganapatiye Svaha
Namaste,

are Ganesh have any relation with Vishnu Narayana ?
some close relation, in scripture maybe.

thank you

TatTvamAsi
05 August 2009, 12:32 AM
Namaste Shian,

As far as I know, Sri Ganesha is the "son" of Shiva & Parvati. He is looked upon as the 'remover' and 'installer' of obstacles in life.

One of the most revered deities in Hinduism is Ganesha. I believe Ganesha is also the presiding deity of the mUladhArA caKrA.

Personally, whenever I meditate on Ganesha, I am strangely filled with a tranquil joy that is quite indescribable. It is like standing in a mist with the subtle droplets of rain caressing your body.

AuM SrI Ganapatiyae namaH!

One interesting fact is that in North India, Ganesha is depicted as being married but in South India, he is unmarried. I wonder how this dichotomy came to be. Does anyone else have an explanation for this traditional difference?

Namaskar.

Om Ganapatiye Svaha
Namaste,

are Ganesh have any relation with Vishnu Narayana ?
some close relation, in scripture maybe.

thank you

mukunda20
05 August 2009, 02:05 AM
Namaste,
The fact is that Lord Ganesha is a Brahmachari(bachelor). the difference in depiction of Ganesha as being married or not is due to the ignorance in people over a period of time where the original meaning of Ganesha being a possessor of Siddhi and Buddhi has been distorted. here the actual meaning of Siddhi is accomplishment/success(please note that equivalent words in English cannot be found for Sanskrit words) and Buddhi means intellect.
So Ganesha is the possessor of these two qualities and he gives the same for his worshippers. but over a period of time(please remember that Sanathana Dharma has been present eternally, distortions/personal opinions are imminent), some people have started to give a life like image to Siddhi and Buddhi and the same idea has been depicted in some Temples.
hope this helps,
mukunda

Eastern Mind
05 August 2009, 05:29 AM
mukunda: Same goes for Murugan re bachelor. In fact, no God/Goddess is married. But you are absolutely right that depictions of things do get altered over time. New gods get 'created' almost.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
05 August 2009, 06:10 AM
Namaste,
The fact is that Lord Ganesha is a Brahmachari(bachelor). the difference in depiction of Ganesha as being married or not is due to the ignorance in people over a period of time where the original meaning of Ganesha being a possessor of Siddhi and Buddhi has been distorted. here the actual meaning of Siddhi is accomplishment/success(please note that equivalent words in English cannot be found for Sanskrit words) and Buddhi means intellect.
So Ganesha is the possessor of these two qualities and he gives the same for his worshippers. but over a period of time(please remember that Sanathana Dharma has been present eternally, distortions/personal opinions are imminent), some people have started to give a life like image to Siddhi and Buddhi and the same idea has been depicted in some Temples.
hope this helps,
mukunda

Namaste Mukunda,

I am tempted to tell you a story on how things get distorted !

I with my wife, my sister-in-law & other relatives were going to Tirupati. Tirupati is considered an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. He is also lovingly called by another name, "Baalaa ji", Venkateshwara etc. Now, Baalaa means a "girl" in Hindi ( language spoken by most North Indians). Perhaps, this was the effect or whatever, I still don't know, but something strange happened on the way.

We were going in car towards Tirumala & were singing devotional songs. After sometime, we got tired & loud singing was reduced to prayers in low voices. I was also praying within keeping Lord Venkateshwara in my mind. Suddenly I heard that my wife & my sister-in-law were praying to "Mother Goddess" Baalaa ... invoking her with words, " Maa Baalaa" ! I was taken aback by this prayer & I blurted out ..." hey, you ladies, Baalaa ji is male & I don't think he will be interested in a sex-change ! So, please offer your prayer to Father Baalaa & not to mother Baalaa !". On this everyone had a hearty laugh !

Who knows, in absence of my timely intervention, Lord Venkateshwara would have undergone a sex-change by we North Indians !!

OM

Spiritualseeker
05 August 2009, 06:44 AM
lol

namaste devotee,

Thank you for sharing that with us. That is very interesting.

shian
05 August 2009, 10:13 PM
Namaste,

thanks all for new knowledge...

but i am not talk about sex change LoL ^_^

i still feel interesting to know are Lord Ganesh have relation with Lord Vishnu in scripture ?

because i never know the relation bettwen Ganesh and Narayana.

as far i know is only Ganesh and Shiva and Uma only.

Thanks

chandu_69
05 August 2009, 10:56 PM
Namaste shian,

i still feel interesting to know are Lord Ganesh have relation with Lord Vishnu in scripture ?

Thanks

There is no relationship as far as i know.
Both Vaishnavaites and Shaivaites worship Ganesha as a remover of obstacles.

mukunda20
06 August 2009, 04:02 AM
Namaste everyone,
its really amazing as to how these incidents happen in front of our eyes. as Devotee narrated the real life incident,its sometimes funny, but most of the time people are ignorant about facts and putting sense into their hard belief filled minds is very difficult. the same is the case which EM explained.

the question which Shian asked
(I am sorry that I cannot quote where exactly this is written, but I vaguely remember this stroy)
the prominent relation between Vishnu and Ganesha is that when Lord Shiva cut off the boy's head, Vishnu told the Ganas(Lord Shiva's warriors/devotees)
to bring the head of the first animal they see when travelling in the North direction. when the Ganas brought the head of a dead elephant, the boy's head part was fixed with this Elephant head and the Ganesha was brought back to life.
I may be wrong in this story, please feel free to correct if wrong.
beat regards,
mukunda

Eastern Mind
06 August 2009, 05:50 AM
Namaste: I think that Ganesha scribed the Mahabharata (my memory is gone, I'm an old man) using his tusk, and since it is predominantly Vaishnava, that could be a relationship, but now we are grasping at straws.

Aum namasivaya

Sherab
06 August 2009, 11:03 AM
Namaste: I think that Ganesha scribed the Mahabharata (my memory is gone, I'm an old man) using his tusk, and since it is predominantly Vaishnava, that could be a relationship, but now we are grasping at straws.

Aum namasivaya

http://images.exoticindiaart.com/panels/shri_ganesha_scripting_the_mahabharata_wl04.jpg

Here's an image of exactly what you were thinking :)

namaste