PDA

View Full Version : Hindu scriptures give permission to have non-vegetarian food; Claim by a Muslim

chandu_69
05 August 2009, 05:28 AM
In the forum( http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/spiritual-discussions/454136-human-body-built-eat-animals-also-explained-muslim-2.html) (http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/spiritual-discussions/454136-human-body-built-eat-animals-also-explained-muslim-2.html)

a Muslim claims that Hinduism advocates meat eating
Hindu scriptures give permission to have non-vegetarian food

There are many Hindus who are strictly vegetarian. They think it is against their religion to consume non-vegetarian food. But the true fact is that the Hindu scriptures permit a person to have meat. The scriptures mention Hindu sages and saints consuming non-vegetarian food.
It is mentioned in Manu Smruti, the law book of Hindus, in chapter 5 verse 30

"The eater who eats the flesh of those to be eaten does nothing bad, even if he does it day after day, for God himself created some to be eaten and some to be eater."
Again next verse of Manu Smruti, that is, chapter 5 verse 31 says

"Eating meat is right for the sacrifice, this is traditionally known as a rule of the gods."
Further in Manu Smruti chapter 5 verse 39 and 40 says

"God himself created sacrificial animals for sacrifice, ...., therefore killing in a sacrifice is not killing."

chandu_69
05 August 2009, 05:30 AM
Ganeshprasad ji replies:

Pranam
For those who want to eat animal flesh will find any excuse under the sun, so its hardly surprising to find they actually distort meaning, by inserting words and also omit certain line.

. Hindu scriptures give permission to have non-vegetarian food

No they don’t, read on

It is mentioned in Manu Smruti, the law book of Hindus, in chapter 5 verse 30

"The eater who eats the flesh of those to be eaten does nothing bad, even if he does it day after day, for God himself created some to be eaten and some to be eater."

Actual Verse

30. The eater who daily even devours those destined to be his food, commits no sin; for the creator himself created both the eaters and those who are to be eaten (for those special purposes).

We know one living entity is dependent on another. That is what we can see and that is what Vedas tell us jive jivese jivanum now we could easily use this as a licence to kill and enjoy and contrast this with thou shall not kill in the bible and yet we see the opposite, why, because we follow the higher doctrine of ahimsa.

What I find so sad of muslims is that they wish peace in their greating to one another yet they lack in their action

Again next verse of Manu Smruti, that is, chapter 5 verse 31 says

"Eating meat is right for the sacrifice, this is traditionally known as a rule of the gods."
Further in Manu Smruti chapter 5 verse 39 and 40 says

You conveniently omitted full verse, here it is

31. 'The consumption of meat (is befitting) for sacrifices,' that is declared to be a rule made by the Gods; but to persist (in using it) on other (occasions) is said to be a proceeding worthy of Rakshasas.

And then if we read further which our friend deliberately remains ignorant about for obvious reasons, makes it abundantly clear what we human should not eat.

Chapter 5

48. Meat can never be obtained without injury to living creatures, and injury to sentient beings is detrimental to (the attainment of) heavenly bliss; let him therefore shun (the use of) meat.

49. Having well considered the (disgusting) origin of flesh and the (cruelty of) fettering and slaying corporeal beings, let him entirely abstain from eating flesh.

50. He who, disregarding the rule (given above), does not eat meat like a Pisaka, becomes dear to men, and will not be tormented by diseases.

51. He who permits (the slaughter of an animal), he who cuts it up, he who kills it, he who buys or sells (meat), he who cooks it, he who serves it up, and he who eats it, (must all be considered as) the slayers (of the animal).

52. There is no greater sinner than that (man) who, though not worshipping the gods or the manes, seeks to increase (the bulk of) his own flesh by the flesh of other (beings).

53. He who during a hundred years annually offers a horse-sacrifice, and he who entirely abstains from meat, obtain the same reward for their meritorious (conduct).

chandu_69
05 August 2009, 05:31 AM
Reply By the Muslim:

leave about other scriptures in the hinduism. vedas are of the top priorities...am i ryt? vedas does say to hve non-veg..
RIG VEDA...
CH 10 hym: 16 verse: 10
CH 10 hym: 85 verse: 13
CH 10 hym: 86 verse: 13

chandu_69
05 August 2009, 05:33 AM
Ganeshprasad ji replies.

Pranam

Hinduism is totally based on the teachings of the holy scriptures...am i ryt? then i dont understand when almighty god has given the permission of having non-veg still u deny that...???
Why oh why do you want Hindus to eat meat? when would you understand in that thick skull or that hardened heart of yours, the meaning of peace.

You would kill innocent beings for the promise of paradise and I would not kill an ant willingly, even for the promise of liberation. A Hindu is par dukhe dukhi.

Do you understand Sanskrit or the real import of those offerings?

All those verse has no meaning if I can’t understand this simple instruction that Lord Krishna gives.

And that action performed in ignorance and delusion without consideration of future bondage or consequences, which inflicts injury and is impractical, is said to be action in the mode of ignorance. 18.25BG

So ask you what mode are you in, we all know eating meat is impractical, even science is coming round to this thinking, do you not feel the pain and anguish you are subjecting to those innocent creatures.?

chandu_69
05 August 2009, 05:34 AM
Muslim Response:

i dont want u to eat meat . i cant compel u its prohibited in islam. its totally ur wish. i was saying wat ur holy scriptures says. vedas are of the top prioriites. vedas does permits. almighty god in his infinite wisdom permits us its we who find hurdles in it...

chandu_69
05 August 2009, 05:38 AM
Ganeshprasad ji Replies

i dont want u to eat meat . i cant compel u its prohibited in islam. its totally ur wish.
Useless statement, there is not an ounce of sincerity in it, why do you come preach to us violence when we have given you enough evidence and reason for our vegetarians diet.

i was saying wat ur holy scriptures says. vedas are of the top prioriites. vedas does permits. almighty god in his infinite wisdom permits us its we who find hurdles in it....
You have got no clue as to what Vedas are saying or what is the purpose behind the human life is. Do you have faith in Vedas? If not there really is no point in us discussing it, cause, any rational discussion on it will fly over your head.

You are right when you say ‘almighty god in his infinite wisdom permits us its we who find hurdles in it.... ‘
Because our Shastra says in no uncertain terms that jivo jivasya jivanam meaning one living entity is food for another but that all mighty God has given us power to discriminate and I don’t even for a moment think about eating another human, so do you call this a matter of finding hurdle? Do you?

Bhagvat Gita is no less authority for us hindus and I pointed to you this verse which I quote again

And that action performed in ignorance and delusion without consideration of future bondage or consequences, which inflicts injury and is impractical, is said to be action in the mode of ignorance. 18.25BG

I ask you again what mode are you in?

I know this will have no effect on you but this is for the benefit for us Hindus, Vedas does not advocate meat eating, fire sacrifice is grossly misunderstood, here I quote some verse from the Vedas:

May I be dear to all animals (Atharva 16.71.4)

May you eat rice (Vrihi); may you eat barley (Yava), also black beans (Mdsa) and Sesamum (Tila). This is the share aloted to both of you for happy results, 0 you two teeth (dantau), may you not injure the father and mother. (Atharva - 6-140-2)

Do not kill any of the Creatures. (Yaju. L 1)

Do not kill the horse. (Yaju. 13.42)

Do not kill quadrupeds. (Yak. 13.44)

Do not kill wool-giving animals. (Yak. 13.47)

May you be illumined by the mighty rags of knowledge and may you not kill the cow, the aditi (Yaju.13.43)

Do not kill a cow but treat her as Mother. (Yaju.12.32)

Protect both our species, two-legged and four-legged. Both food and water for their needs supply. May they with us increase in stature and strength. Save us from hurt all our days, O Powers!
Rig Veda Samhita 10.37.11. VE, 319

One who partakes of human flesh, the flesh of a horse or of another animal, and deprives others of milk by slaughtering cows, O King, if such a fiend does not desist by other means, then you should not hesitate to punish such a person.
Rig Veda Samhita, 10.87.16, FS 90

Peaceful be the earth, peaceful the ether, peaceful heaven, peaceful the waters, peaceful the herbs, peaceful the trees. May all Gods bring me peace. May there be peace through these invocations of peace. With these invocations of peace which appease everything, I render peaceful whatever here is terrible, whatever here is cruel, whatever here is sinful. Let it become auspicious, let everything be beneficial to us.
Atharva Veda Samhita 10. 191. 4

Those noble souls who practice meditation and other yogic ways, who are ever careful about all beings, who protect all animals, are the ones who are actually serious about spiritual practices.
Atharva Veda Samhita 19.48.5. FS, 90

satay
05 August 2009, 11:11 PM
Admin Note

What's the point of this thread? You can simply post a link to the discussion that points the reader to indiadivine forum. Why cut and paste posts on HDF?

chandu_69
06 August 2009, 04:39 AM
The reason for Copy paste is that the replies are spread over 6-7 pages with lots of responses with no scriptural quotes.

So, i thought it will be easier if they are assembled in one page.

Besides the said forums may be wound up.

It took me about 1/2 hour to assemble the quotes.

To the best of my knowledge the material presented is not available in this forum.