PDA

View Full Version : Hindu influence on Taoism

Spiritualseeker
07 August 2009, 08:27 PM
namaste,

can some knowledgable people speak about how Hinduism is what gave birth to the healing methods of the Taoist through their meditation and energy work aswell as use of herbs?

shian
07 August 2009, 10:05 PM
Taoism is use "mantra paper" for one way to healing.
this mantra paper is seems like Yantra in Hindusim, Taoism mantra paper sometimes is have command from Deitys.
have sun and moon sign in header.

the union power of sun and moon is also appear in India.

but i dont know are Taosit is addopted the theory from Hindu.

But i also know Tao have one Shakti sect, the greatest deity is Golden Mother from Jade Pond (Yaochijinmu) who believe She is mother of all beings, and controller the Yin (negative ~ feminime) energy in universe. All beings is only part of Her. She also controller of epidemic. She is symbolized with White Tiger.

She sometimes is appear as old woman, and sometimes is 16 years old girl.

She is very compassion as mother, but she also very solemn.

many miracle is appear in Her devotee life.

The name to pray to her is :

Namo Wuji Yaochijinmu Datianzun

I bow to Mahadevi Golden Mother of Jade Pond who is Infinite

She is one of Five Old in Taosim,
Five old is Gods manifestation of Five element, who contrrolled the universe.
She is Golden element, and place is in west.

http://pic.orgsc.com/picture/UploadFiles_pic/200808/200882881729612.jpg

Spiritualseeker
08 August 2009, 07:43 AM
Namaste,

Thank you for this. I also found out that some Tibetan buddhist influenced some Qi Gong sects.

sunyata07
08 August 2009, 11:22 AM
Namaste SS,

It is interesting that you brought this up because I myself have been wondering about the connections between Taoism and Hinduism. My mother is Chinese and so I was brought up with a lot of the Taoist thinking in the ways of being given medicinal soups to attitudes on health. I can't say I know a lot about Taoist meditation, although in my opinion it seems to be a lot less metaphysical than the Hindu perspective, and more practical in nature.

Taoist and Chinese medicine has a similar basis to Ayurvedic medicine in using 5 primary elements that make up the body (metal, wood, water, fire and earth). They also have a concept of energy channels in the body called meridians or energy points that correspond seem to correspond with the nada concept of the flowing energies of the body. Also derived from the Hindu philosophy of prana was the concept of Chi (氣) - literally "breath".

Also, as shian has pointed out, there is a lot of use of paper mantras - I've seen these being used before as a means of warding off evil spirits while Taoist priests chant various mantras. As you probably already know the whole Yin/Yang concept is a big part of Taoist belief, obviously echoing the Tantric philosophy of Shiva/Shakti.

If I found out anything interesting, I will add some more information later.

Spiritualseeker
09 August 2009, 04:05 PM
Namaste SS,

It is interesting that you brought this up because I myself have been wondering about the connections between Taoism and Hinduism. My mother is Chinese and so I was brought up with a lot of the Taoist thinking in the ways of being given medicinal soups to attitudes on health. I can't say I know a lot about Taoist meditation, although in my opinion it seems to be a lot less metaphysical than the Hindu perspective, and more practical in nature.

Taoist and Chinese medicine has a similar basis to Ayurvedic medicine in using 5 primary elements that make up the body (metal, wood, water, fire and earth). They also have a concept of energy channels in the body called meridians or energy points that correspond seem to correspond with the nada concept of the flowing energies of the body. Also derived from the Hindu philosophy of prana was the concept of Chi (氣) - literally "breath".

Also, as shian has pointed out, there is a lot of use of paper mantras - I've seen these being used before as a means of warding off evil spirits while Taoist priests chant various mantras. As you probably already know the whole Yin/Yang concept is a big part of Taoist belief, obviously echoing the Tantric philosophy of Shiva/Shakti.

If I found out anything interesting, I will add some more information later.

Namaste,

Thank you Shian,

Dear Sunyata,

Thanks for sharing that. I am studying Chinese Medicine in school and hope one day to be a practictioner in acupuncture, acupressure, Qigong, and herbology. I see many such similarities and as I already mentioned in my notes at school it is said that the Indians taught the Chinese. However, it is known that both the Hindus and chinese exchanged ideas as I am reading in a book called "The Way of Qigong, The Art and Science of Chinese Energy Healing" by Kenneth S. Cohen.

In this book on pg 33 the author states
"There are several ways to suplpement weak original qi. Tranquil meditation helps one tune in to a source of power beyond the personal, which some practictioners identify as God or the Dao. Nature is also a source of original qi. We can learn to harmonize with the great currents of qi in Nature, sensing the healing power of pure mountain air, of trees, and of fertile ground."

Whats interesting is I believe the Daoist view of the Dao is basically Parasiva. Or Lord Siva himself. I have noticed that much of the teachings of Taoism and perhaps the entire teaching is non dualistic. The Dao is the Ultimate Reality. I believe the Dao is Siva.

It is very interesting the great Science of Sanatana Dharma has spread so far and has been translated into different descriptions of the same Reality.

with love
-juan