PDA

View Full Version : Reciting prayers without knowing the meaning

ScottMalaysia
09 August 2009, 10:27 PM
Is there any use reciting prayers or mantras in Sanskrit or another language without knowing what they actually mean? Do they bring the devotee benefits even though he doesn't understand a word of what he is saying?

I'm asking this because all the prayer books or devotional books I see here are in either Sanskrit or Tamil (or both). Some have the Sanskrit or Tamil in the Devanagari or Tamil script on one side, and a transliteration (Sanskrit or Tamil written in the English alphabet) on the other side. There is no translation into English.

Is there any use in buying these prayer books and saying the prayers, even though I don't understand them? Or is it just a waste of time?

clito
10 August 2009, 06:08 AM
hello,thats a very good question,if some body ask you to recite the gayatri or the mahamrityunjaya mantra and you do it without knowing the meaning you would have done right because they are harmless mantras and they can only do good ty.the mantras have shakti on them and even if you dont understand what they mean, just by reciting them with concentration ,it gives you shakti power and this without counting of what it means to gain the grace of mother gayatri or lord shiva,but for more advantage stages its obligatory to know what they mean ,cause that way the mantra penetrate your conscious and become much more powerfull.whatever it is it should be allways a condition to know what you are praying for or who are you praying to,so that you cant mistake and have bad experiences.hope it helps, om shanti

Eastern Mind
10 August 2009, 06:08 AM
Namaste Scott: Good question. I once pondered it seriously myself. Its a language for the Gods (Sanskrit especially), so even if you don't understand, they do. Like accidentally swearing in another language. The other guy thinks he just got insulted.

When I served time as a pandaram, I recited quite a bit of Sanskrit without knowing the meaning. According to others, the vibration was still brought out. However, if you do have the time, its best to have a sense of its meaning, even though translation always loses some of the intent, or at least it is somewhat vague.

Both languages are so melodic, just the sound itself holds a vibration, not unlike a musical instrument.

In the Himalayan Academy atmartha puja, translation is given. Hope this helps.

Aum Namasivaya

saidevo
10 August 2009, 07:51 AM
Namaste SM.

Sanskrit mantras owe their power to the vibrations caused by the spoken syllables of the mantra text. Even to a person well acquainted with the language, there is always scope for inadvertent slip in pronunciation. It is for this reason that a 'forgiveness prayer' is chanted at the end of a worship:

apAradha-shodhana (acquitance from offences)

mantra-hInam kriya-hInam bhakti-hInam janArdana |
yat pUjitam maya deva paripurNam tad astu me ||

"O my Lord, O Janardana, whatever little puja or worship that has been performed by me, although it is without devotion, without proper mantras, and without the proper performance, please let that become complete."

Nevertheless, the fruits of a mantra or puja is far enhanced if it is done with the performer knowing the general meaning (though not word by word meaning) of the mantras and ritual acts.

Spiritualseeker
10 August 2009, 08:00 AM
Namaste Saidevo,

Do you know where I can hear the pronounciation of mantra-hInam kriya-hInam bhakti-hInam janArdana |

"O my Lord, O Janardana, whatever little puja or worship that has been performed by me, although it is without devotion, without proper mantras, and without the proper performance, please let that become complete."

devotee
10 August 2009, 08:22 AM
Namaste SM,

EM & Saidevo ji have given very good answers. I shall add a few more :

Mantras have spiritual vibrations. They were "seen" by the Rishis. Some Beej Mantras have no meaning of their own (at least I am not aware) : e.g. Hring, Kling, Shring etc. (Beej Mantras of Mother Goddess). However, most of Mantras have meaning & it is better if you know the meaning.

OM

saidevo
10 August 2009, 11:44 AM
Namaste SS.

We are indeed blessed by God Ganesha. After much searching on my part, he has shown us a link:

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/audio/chants/ganesha_puja/
Check the mp3 link to last phase of the puja:
Visarjanam (Farewell and Apologies)

Please note that the name of the God (instead of JanArdana) is substituted appropriately in the 'mantra hInam' mantra.

Eastern Mind
10 August 2009, 01:00 PM
Namaste SM.

Sanskrit mantras owe their power to the vibrations caused by the spoken syllables of the mantra text. Even to a person well acquainted with the language, there is always scope for inadvertent slip in pronunciation. It is for this reason that a 'forgiveness prayer' is chanted at the end of a worship:

apAradha-shodhana (acquitance from offences)

mantra-hInam kriya-hInam bhakti-hInam janArdana |

Nevertheless, the fruits of a mantra or puja is far enhanced if it is done with the performer knowing the general meaning (though not word by word meaning) of the mantras and ritual acts.

I love that prayer so much. It covered me for a few years, and goodness knows, I was making a lot of pronunciation mistakes, lol.

Spiritualseeker
10 August 2009, 07:23 PM
Namaste SS.

We are indeed blessed by God Ganesha. After much searching on my part, he has shown us a link:

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/audio/chants/ganesha_puja/
Check the mp3 link to last phase of the puja:
Visarjanam (Farewell and Apologies)

Please note that the name of the God (instead of JanArdana) is substituted appropriately in the 'mantra hInam' mantra.
Namaste,

Your awesome, thanks a lot. May Lord Ganesha accept our praise