PDA

View Full Version : Devoted to Lord Ganesha

Spiritualseeker
10 August 2009, 07:49 AM
Namaste,

This thread is Dedicated to the Removal of Obstacles the universe itself, Lord Ganesha. Post anything you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h2rFVPCSPE

Spiritualseeker
10 August 2009, 07:55 AM
http://www.srisaiganesha.com/

Spiritualseeker
10 August 2009, 07:56 AM
For Aum japa to be effective, the mantra must be pronounced correctly. The first syllable is A, pronounced as the English word "awe," but prolonged: "aaa." The second syllable is U, as in "roof," pronounced "oo" but prolonged: "ooo." The third syllable is M, pronounced "mm" with the front teeth gently touching and the sound prolonged: "mmmm." Each repetition is sounded for about seven seconds, with two seconds on A, two seconds on U and three seconds on M, with a silence of about two seconds before the next repetition. The three syllables are run together: AAUUMM (silence), AAUUMM (silence), AAUUMM (silence). On the first syllable, A, we feel the solar plexus and chest vibrating. On the second syllable, U, the throat vibrates. The third syllable, M, vibrates the top of the head. Thus, proper chanting of Aum also is a high form of yoga, moving energy from the lower chakras of the body up to the highest chakra, or energy center -- the sahasrara chakra at the crown of the head.

Another traditional way to do this japa is to take a full breath and then chant the AUM three times as you exhale. The first repetition is audible, the second is more quiet and the third is barely audible, as you concentrate within. Then inhale slowly as you visualize the image of our loving Lord Ganesha in your mind. Then repeat the AUM again three times as you exhale. The breathing should not be forced, but natural, slow, gentle and rhythmical. We can use a japa mala with 108 beads and pass over one bead for each repetition, or do the japa for a prearranged period of time.
Two other Ganesha mantras are commonly used. One is Aum Shri Ganeshaya Namah, meaning "Praise to Lord Ganesha." This is the mantra of invocation, adoration and worship. It is repeated at the beginning of pujas and it can be used for japa, to invoke Ganesha's blessings for the auspicious beginning of a task, project, change of life, community undertaking or simply to offer Him our praise. Another special mantra is Aum Gam Ganapataye Namah. This is Lord Ganesha's mula ("root") mantra. It is also known as His bija mantra, for it combines Ganesha's bija ("seed") sound, "gam," with the phrase, "Praise be to Ganapati." This mantra is used for yoga sadhana in which we invoke Ganesha and merge ourself with His supreme knowledge and peace. These two mantras are not harmful if mispronounced, as sometimes happens, though they should be sounded as properly as possible to be most effective. Most importantly, they must be chanted at the same time each day, and this means exactly the same time, for full devonic support.

When the ganas and devas of Lord Ganesha are finally attracted to the home shrine, the room will feel filled with actinodic energy even if it is a closet or a small sacred alcove. The energy will come out of seeming nowhere into the room. This feeling indicates that Ganesha's ganas are present, eager and willing to do whatever they can to maintain shanti, peace, within the home and bind the family together. Nothing bad, hurtful or harmful will ever be performed by them, even if fervently prayed for. Only good and goodness will be their actions. They do not condone revenge. They do not deny anything to anyone who is within dharma's calling. And they do work within the prarabdha karmas of each individual within the family. Theirs is a calculated job in doing what they have to do to maintain family togetherness, even at great distances.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/lg/lg_ch-10.html

AUM is Lord Ganesha.

I bow to you Elephant Faced Deity who is within me and all things

Spiritualseeker
10 August 2009, 07:58 AM
http://mohanchandran.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/reclining-lord-ganesha.jpg

sunyata07
10 August 2009, 11:11 AM
http://askindiaexpert.com/India/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ganesha_symbolism.gif

Namaste SS,

Thanks for starting this thread. I never get tired of how rich the symbolism is behind this elephant-headed God. And even the meanings themselves are layered and multifaceted.

Obeisance to the Lord and Remover of Obstacles
Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha

Eastern Mind
10 August 2009, 03:24 PM
Here is a story. Hopefully I haven't told it before, but hey I'm an old man.

The temple here once upon a time was in a small rented room ... before there was land bought. The worship had to go on somewhere. But then land was bought and the temple had to be moved, vibration, and all. Some 10 years of accumulated bhakti vibration, some of it quite strong. Not an easy task. You can't just pick up a vibration, and move it ... or can you?

The ceremony is called a Balasthapanam. A priest was hired, and an auspicious date (two dates) was set. The first thing was to move the accumulated energy out of the murthi, and into kumbams (water pots) . Not just for the Ganesha, but also for any other murthis, which in this case was a Palaniswami, and a Lingam. So the strings are attached, a fire is done, the rites are performed by a hired well versed priest from India. (This guy could chant Sanskrit without repitition for 100 hours straight.)

So finally its ready for the big move. Its a procession of 3 or 4 cars. I know the guy who has the responsibility of carrying the murthi. Later he tells me that it (the murthi) had no weight, felt like styrofoam. Such are the mysteries of Ganapati. In the meantime, the priest (carrying the kumbam with Ganesha in it) did appear to be straining the whole way.)

Just to conclude, the next day after the shrines were also moved, the reverse rite ocurred of putting the energy back into the murthi. And that seemed to have worked out just fine.

Later when the new temple was built, a larger murthi had to be bought, and once again, this time at a Mahakumbabhishekam, the energy was transferred from murthi to murthi.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
10 August 2009, 07:20 PM
Namaste SS,

Thanks for starting this thread. I never get tired of how rich the symbolism is behind this elephant-headed God. And even the meanings themselves are layered and multifaceted.

Obeisance to the Lord and Remover of Obstacles
Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha

Namaste,

That was beautiful sharing the Attributes of Lord Ganesha. May he ever manifest himself in our lives. May He be our breath.

Spiritualseeker
10 August 2009, 07:20 PM
Namaste EM,

Wow it seems like you are quite a part of your hindu community. I wish I could have experience those times. Perhaps I have I just dont know it :)

Spiritualseeker
11 August 2009, 06:39 AM
Bhagavān Srī Sathya Sai Baba on:

Ganesha From: Divine Discourses of Bhagavān Srī Sathya Sai Baba
Place: Prasanthi Nilayam

Ganesha Sharanam, Sharanam Ganesha (4x)
Saisha Sharanam, Sharanam Saisha (4x)
Ganesha, Lord of the Gana's, we seek Your help and protection.
Lord Sai, You are our refuge and shelter
Ganesha: Lord of the Gana's. He is de first son of Shiva and Parvati. The Lord of wisdom and He removes all obstacles.
Gana's: Shiva's army of demi-gods, led by Ganesha. They are symbols of the senses, who have to serve their master (God, the higher consciousness).
Sharanam: protection, help, refuge; place of shelter, shrine.
Saisha, Saishvara: Lord Sai

Vinayaka or Ganesh or Ganapathi or Vighneswara all indicate the Elephant-God, who is popular among young and old, and who is worshipped as the very first deity, before regularly beginning any ceremony or samskar, any yaga of yajna, any vow or fast or pilgrimage. He is the Lord of the ganas or divine forces, inside and outside the human body; He is the Lord, who masters and overwhelms vighna or obstacle, however imminent or eminent. This is the natural effect of the fact that Ganapathi is the God of Intelligence, vidya or buddhi.

Another name for Vinayaka is 'Vighneswara'. Easwara is one who is endowed with every conceivable form of wealth: riches, knowledge, health, bliss, beauty, etc. Vighneswara is the promoter of all these forms of wealth and removes all obstacles to their enjoyment. He confers all these forms of wealth on those who worship him. Vinayaka is described as "Prathama Vandana" (the first deity who should be worshiped). As everyone in the world desires wealth and prosperity, everyone offers the first place for worship to Vighneswara.

Ganapathi is a God revered in Tantric lore, and also, by various Vedic mantras. The elephant is proverbially the most intelligent among the mammals and it is vegetarian, indicating its sathwic (http://vahini.org/glossary/s.html#Sathwic) nature. Ganapathi has the head of the elephant, for, it indicates the Intelligence through which obstacles in the path of achievement, secular as well as spiritual can be overcome. There is a popular verse, used on most occasions when Ganapathi is invoked. It mentions various attributes of this God: Suklambaradharam(wearing white vesture) is the first. This is the symbol of purity, for, ambara means also the sky (space, ether), the akasa of the heart. Ganapathi is pure, having universal love and compassion. Vishnu is the second attribute, ascribed to Him.
Vishnu means that He is present everywhere, at all times. Sasivarnam is the third adjective used. Of the complexion of ash, or Vibhuti, that is to say, glowing with spiritual splendor, with the majesty of spiritual attainments, achievements and potentialities. These are also called Vibhutis, for, in the Gītā, we find Krishna saying, 'wherever you see Power, Glory, Majesty (Vibhuti), know that it is Mine'! [see: BG : 10-41 (http://gita.srimadbhagavatam.org/chapter10.html#text%2041)] Ganesha is bathed in His Divine Glory; that is the significance of the attribute Sasivarnam.
Chathurbhuja (four-handed) is the next fourth denotation. This means that apart from the two visible hands, He has two invisible hands, that are available for the two divine uses of:
1. Blessing the devotee and

2. Guarding him from danger.
The last fifth of the descriptive word is Prasannavadanam (of bright countenance). The countenance depicts the inner calm, happiness and balance, inner grace and mercy, the consciousness of strength and sovereignty.
What is the esoteric meaning of Ganesha's elephant head? The elephant is noted for its acute intelligence. Ganesha's elephant head symbolizes sharpness of intellect and the highest power of discrimination. Because of the purity of his intellect, Vinayaka is also called the giver of buddhi (intellect). He responds to the prayers of devotees and hence is known as Siddhi Vinayaka (the Vinayaka who grants what is sought).
In a forest, when an elephant moves through the jungle, it clears the way for others to follow. Likewise, by invoking Ganesha, the path is cleared for our undertakings. The elephant's foot is so large that when it moves it can stamp out the footprints of any other animal. Here, again, the symbolic meaning is that all obstacles in the way will be removed when Ganesha is accorded the place of honor. The journey of life is made smoother and happier by the grace of Ganesha.
Vighneswara is also regarded as one endowed with the wisdom of the elephant. The elephant is noted for its supreme intelligence. it is also known for its absolute loyalty to its master. The direct proof of this is Sai Githa (Bhagavan's elephant). Ordinarily hundreds of cars will be passing on the road. Sai Githa will take no notice of them. But when Swami's car happens to pass that way, she will instinctively notice it, She will rush to the road raising her familiar cry. What love for Swami! It will be no exaggeration if faith is equated with the elephant.

http://vahini.org/Discourses/d10-ganesha.html

Spiritualseeker
11 August 2009, 06:40 AM
Continued...

When an elephant moves among the bushes, its path turns into a regular passage for all animals. It is thus a pacesetter for all animals.
The mouse is Ganesha's vehicle. The mouse is a clever and lively creature. As a symbol it means that we should be clever and diligent in our actions. The mouse also symbolizes the darkness of the night. The mouse can see well in the dark. As Vinayaka's vehicle the mouse signifies an object that leads man from darkness to light. The Vinayaka principle thus means that which removes all the bad qualities, bad practices and bad thoughts in men and inculcates good qualities, good conduct and good thoughts.

Without intelligent discrimination, no skill or strength can be profitably used. One must know how fire, for example, or the electric current has to be used and how far one can deal with it as an instrument for our needs. The senses of man are also like fire; they have to be kept under constant vigilance and control.
No worship can succeed unless the heart is pure and the senses are mastered. Ganesha is the God who helps overcome obstacles; but, He will create obstacles when good endeavor is obstructed by bad influences; He will clear the path for the sincere sadhaka (http://vahini.org/glossary/s.html#Sadhaka). He is Prasannavadanam (of bright countenance), of beneficial looks, when you pray to Him for good ends; but, He will not be that when you seek His help for nefarious stratagems! He is Pranava-Swarupa, the Om personified; so He is auspiciousness itself.
Vinayaka is a leader for all deities. Faith in Vinayaka should be developed as the exemplar for all deities and He should be worshiped as the embodiment of Divinity.
Ganesh Gayatri Om Eka Dantaya Vidmahe
Vakra Thundaya Dhemahi
Thannoh Dhantih Prachodhayath
Om Shanti ... Shanti ... Shanti
Realizing that Elephant-faced One,
with one tusk is God;
Meditate on the One Who has a curved trunk;
May He enlighten our intellect.

Eastern Mind
11 August 2009, 06:59 AM
Namaste EM,

Wow it seems like you are quite a part of your hindu community. I wish I could have experience those times. Perhaps I have I just dont know it :)

Here's a hint. Pick a temple and go once a week. Soon you'll be very involved.

Yes, I am very blessed indeed to live amongst the born Hindus. I am still a baby compared to them. But it does have its funny moments. I especially enjoy the times when someone new asks me, "Do you come here often?"

Worse yet when someone starts telling me that they were heavily involved in 'this' temple from the beginning. The look on their face when I say. "Oh yes. I was involved from the beginning" is priceless.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
11 August 2009, 07:59 AM
Namaste,

thats a good idea. I just never know what to do when I go there. Sometimes Ill just sit for meditation. But I am unsure what to do.

sunyata07
11 August 2009, 09:30 AM
Hehe... when I first came to HDF I honestly had no idea you weren't a born Hindu, EM. And to hear you say now that you feel like a baby yourself sometimes when you're amongst the Hindu community is quite amusing and frankly, quite unbelieveable! Thanks for sharing your experiences in your temple - it sounds like quite a lot of work when moving a temple murti!

SS, you are lucky you live in the States where I'm sure religious communities are diverse enough that temples aren't that hard to find. Living where I am, I know of only one Hindu temple and it is actually an ISKCON centre, which I may go to sometime in the future. I was quite disappointed there are no temples proper yet, but I do know there is a "makeshift" Vinayaka down in the country - I don't think the land is bought. Maybe sometime I might check it out if I ever feel brave enough.

sunyata07
11 August 2009, 10:56 AM
And while I know this is a devotional thread, I thought I might ask does anyone know when the Ganesha Chathurti will be this year? I know it falls sometime around late August...

Eastern Mind
11 August 2009, 12:11 PM
Sunyata:

Ganesha Chaturthi this year here is August 23. Sometimes, because of astrology, or astrological interpretations, it can vary by a day or so from place to place.

Thank you for the compliment. I adopted Hinduism formally via the namakarana samskara in 1980. And for about 8 years prior to that I was more or less practising. So its been a while. Many born Hindus know very little actually about their religion in terms of the philosophy, but in terms of the rituals, many are just amazing.

You can always pop over to England where there are lots of temples.

SS: Just go. It may take up to a year for the people at a temple to get used to the fact that you're going to be there. We have FOBs come here to our temple, and I tell them the same thing. Eventually you are just one of the group, as I am here. But it does take a little patience.

I remember in the beginning stages, it was, ``Hey everybody, lets go see the white guys doing the pujas.`lol

Aum Namasivaya

PS: Sunyata, check this link. http://www.ivt.ie/

Spiritualseeker
11 August 2009, 07:57 PM
Namaste,

SS, you are lucky you live in the States where I'm sure religious communities are diverse enough that temples aren't that hard to find. Living where I am, I know of only one Hindu temple and it is actually an ISKCON centre, which I may go to sometime in the future. I was quite disappointed there are no temples proper yet, but I do know there is a "makeshift" Vinayaka down in the country - I don't think the land is bought. Maybe sometime I might check it out if I ever feel brave enough.

I am very fortunate. I hope I can keep this in mindfulness so that I will realize I am truely blessed with these opportunities. I say if ISKCON is the only center then check it out. If you dont like it then its not for you. But you may obtain some benefits. It seems ISKCON has benefited many people. I dont know too much about them, but I am currently reading a book called "KRSNA The SUPREME PERSONALITY OF GODHEAD" which is teachings in conjunction with ISKCON.

SS: Just go. It may take up to a year for the people at a temple to get used to the fact that you're going to be there. We have FOBs come here to our temple, and I tell them the same thing. Eventually you are just one of the group, as I am here. But it does take a little patience.

I remember in the beginning stages, it was, ``Hey everybody, lets go see the white guys doing the pujas.`lol

Aum Namasivaya

Lol. I think ill take your advice. I will stay there no matter if they like me or not. I need to place my ego to the side so I dont have to worry about being accepted.

Maybe Ill go Thursday and Friday :)

Om Namah Sivaya

sunyata07
14 August 2009, 06:43 AM
Yes, I am considering just dropping in sometime and checking out the place. They have a timetable posted on their website for discussion of the Gita and a few other little revelant seminars.

And thanks EM for the link! Yes, I came across that website a long time ago before I was serious about Sanatana Dharma, and I just wondered if there were any Hindu temples in Ireland. I'm quite delighted actually that they have a Ganesha temple here and it's not that far from my home. That said, I'm quite a withdrawn person in day to day life and am painfully shy with strangers. I may work up the courage to go there one day, but I'd like to learn more about my path before I become part of the community. But I am definitely going to try and work towards it.

Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha

bhargavsai
23 August 2009, 03:00 AM
Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to all.

Eastern Mind
23 August 2009, 05:16 AM
May Lord Vinayaka shine in all his glory on this auspicious day.

Aum Sri Ganeshaya Namaha

Eastern Mind
23 August 2009, 08:49 AM
Tried to make a Ganesh symbol design but then it didn't post properly. Oh well, He knows best.

sunyata07
23 August 2009, 09:56 AM
Happy Ganesha Chaturthi everyone. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU5TDdyMsZw&feature=related

Jai Ganesha Deva!

Star
23 August 2009, 01:41 PM
Namaste :)

Happy Ganesha Chaturthi!

Someone linked me to this today as a "gift" so I thought I'd post it here too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7TY5wvmik

Eastern Mind
23 August 2009, 04:10 PM
sunyata and Star: nandri Very beautiful.

Spiritualseeker
23 August 2009, 07:33 PM
OM Gam Ganapataye Namaha

sunyata07
01 October 2009, 03:35 PM
Namaste everyone,

I thought I'd just share a brainwave with you that I had earlier today on contemplating Lord Ganesha's mount, the mouse. Now, I'm not sure if this belief I will refer to exists in the East as it does in the West, but there is a popular little belief that elephants are terrified of mice. I'm not sure if this is genuinely true or just an old myth, but it is very interesting to find that Ganesha uses the mouse as His vehicle! This itself seems to be a very lesson in the importance of having humility when we find success or in pursuing our goals (the choice of the mouse as Ganesha's mount is a humble one, considering some of the other more graceful and powerful mounts like the tiger, the eagle or the bull). I've often wondered then if maybe Ganesha riding the mouse is another lesson that inadvertently teaches us that in order to succeed in life we must not live as slaves to our fears? And more importantly, that we cannot let what we are afraid of stand in the way of duty and pursuing Dharma.

Just a thought of mine. :)

Spiritualseeker
17 January 2010, 08:10 PM
Thats a good view sunyata. I am sure there are infinite meanings in the embodyment of Ganesha and his attributes.

OM OM OM

MananAtma
16 February 2010, 04:18 AM
Namaste,
I am a western Hindu who embraced this path 4 years ago. Originally I was very attracted to Shiavism, but after several dreams of Ganesha, as well as a powerful meditation, I decided to accept him(or did he choose me?) as my Ishta-devata.

The path of Bhakti Yoga seems to work best for me. I try to see the divine in everyone and keep a positive attitude with everything I do. I have a small shrine in my living room were I do puja and japa. I also carry a second set of mala beads, that I made myself, to carry with me so I can do japa when ever I want.

As a Shiavist devoted to Ganesha, can anyone recommend what I should read? Is there specific Puranas, or any other traditional text, devoted to Ganesha that I should get? I have read loving Ganesha as well as several other books from the Himalayan Academy. I have also read the Ramayana, Mahabharata, and am working on the Upanisad.

Thank you

Aum Gam Ganapataye Namaha

Onkara
16 February 2010, 04:29 AM
I also carry a second set of mala beads, that I made myself, to carry with me so I can do japa when ever I want.

As a Shiavist devoted to Ganesha, can anyone recommend what I should read? Is there specific Puranas, or any other traditional text, devoted to Ganesha that I should get? I have read loving Ganesha as well as several other books from the Himalayan Academy. I have also read the Ramayana, Mahabharata, and am working on the Upanisad.

Thank you

Aum Gam Ganapataye Namaha
Namasté Mananatma
I understand that the Mudgala Purana is significant for Ganesha. I am not clear if this is part of another Purana or if it is available in English, my search has not revealed that and hopefuly someone can clarify.

I was interested to read you made your mala beads, may I ask how, please, did you buy the beads and cord? It seems like a good spiritual exercise :)

A basic question I have in general, that others may also wish to answer, is why is Ganesh so predominant in Sanatana Dharma? Is it partly because He removes obstacles which allow one to begin a Puja to another deity also?

MananAtma
16 February 2010, 06:22 AM
Namasté Mananatma
I understand that the Mudgala Purana is significant for Ganesha. I am not clear if this is part of another Purana or if it is available in English, my search has not revealed that and hopefuly someone can clarify.

I was interested to read you made your mala beads, may I ask how, please, did you buy the beads and cord? It seems like a good spiritual exercise :)

Thank you, I will have to research the Mudgala. It would be nice to be able to find a Purana that focus's on Ganesha.

I bought the beads and chord from a local craft store. The beads are wooden and the chord is hemp. My primary mala is made from lotus seed and I puchased it online. It is to long to use discreetly, thats why I made the set out of smaller beads, something I can actually use while they are in my pocket.

Eastern Mind
16 February 2010, 08:01 AM
A basic question I have in general, that others may also wish to answer, is why is Ganesh so predominant in Sanatana Dharma? Is it partly because He removes obstacles which allow one to begin a Puja to another deity also?

Snip: My personal view is that Ganesha's vibration is the easiest to reach, or the closest in consciousness to this plane. His darshan controls the worldly forces, while others like Murugan are more yogic in nature.

Aum Namasivaya

Onkara
16 February 2010, 08:30 AM
Snip: My personal view is that Ganesha's vibration is the easiest to reach, or the closest in consciousness to this plane. His darshan controls the worldly forces, while others like Murugan are more yogic in nature.

Aum Namasivaya
Thanks EM, that is an unexpected response in that I have never considered that. :)

sunyata07
20 February 2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the reference on the Mudgala Purana, Snip. I forgot about this text until you mentioned it here.

Well said, and I don't think you are alone in saying that, EM. He is very easy to make contact with. Atop His metaphysical seat on the muladhara chakra, He is never far away. Perhaps this is a reason why He is probably - no, easily Sanatana Dharma's most beloved God? Also, if you step back and look at Ganesha in a representational sense for a moment, you can see there is actually a vital lesson being taught in Shiva's heading Ganesha in the famous legend of how He came to have an elephant's head. While the head is the repository of wisdom, it is also the seat of the ego. When it becomes too assertive, Lord Shiva cuts it off, destroying the ignorance and the arrogance of the individual. The decapitation and reattachment of the head signifies Ganesha's elevation to heightened consciousness, something we are all striving for. It is very apt then, that so many look and pray to Ganesha, the first reborn being, to remove obstacles within ourselves that might hinder us from attaining that goal of all goals - complete spiritual awakening.

Eastern Mind
20 February 2010, 03:24 PM
Sunyata:

Thanks for the eloquent simple summary of that Purana. To tell you the truth, I never really liked it, because of some more literal interpretations.

But you are wise to read the metaphors.

Aum Namasivaya

ranjeetmore
02 March 2010, 03:28 PM
In devi bhagavatam,Ganesha is said to be a form of Sri Krsna Himself and thus is said to be so dear to His parents.

smaranam
02 March 2010, 03:51 PM
Namaste Ranjeet

In devi bhagavatam,Ganesha is said to be a form of Sri Krsna Himself and thus is said to be so dear to His parents.

Lord Vishnu says that Ganesh is the Naad Brahman. He was born as the ahat naad , which had to be destroyed (head cut) and rebuilt (elephant wisdom head) as anahat naad which is what the world needed.
(I will have to check this with exact quotes.)

ranjeetmore
02 March 2010, 03:57 PM
The Lord Visnu you talk about is the Guna avatara that exists in every universe.Such millions and billions of Visnus,brahmas and Shivas reside in the pores of the Purusha (Mahavishnu.) :)

The three Supreme forms of God : Durga,Sadashiva and Narayana ALL are depicted as being worshipped by Brahma,Visnu,Mahesh in Their respective puranas and it is not baffling.

However,the Devi Bhagavatam (also Maha Bhagavata purana,brahma vaivarta,Radha tapaniya up) tell us how Sri Krsna/Sri Raam are the Leela Purushas and the basis of all the three forms of God.

Even in Geeta,Sri Krsna maintains that He is the basis of everything and purushottamam - Greatest of all Purushas/ishvaras.

ranjeetmore
02 March 2010, 03:59 PM
BTW,

A- Visnu
U- Maheshvara
M - Brahma

as clarified by Rambhadracharyaji himself.(he comes in the guru parampara of Tulsidasji and leads that parampara.)

:)

I'm a maharashtrian and the marathi songs of the various gods come from dubious sources.

Gana-esha

The name itself means that he is the chief of the ganas,the associates of Lord Shiva.Thus he is the associate of Shiva on Shivaloka and assists Him in the pastimes.

Just like Balarama is the associate of Krsna on goloka

Mahakali of Durga.
Sarasvati of Narayana.
Hanuman/lakshman of Rama.

Remember ALL these associates are verily called Supreme by many sources since They are expansions of Their respective forms of God.

smaranam
02 March 2010, 04:18 PM
The Lord Visnu you talk about is the Guna avatara that exists in every universe.Such millions and billions of Visnus,brahmas and Shivas reside in the pores of the Purusha (Mahavishnu.) :)
So I have read - about the zillion universes. Another indication is - Lord BrahmA visits Dwaraka and Krshna tells the messenger - "Ask Him which BrahmA is it " and shows that there are many like him , one per Universe.

I was only supplementing what you wrote - that Ganesh is a form of Shri Krshna, with a nice song - you are probably familiar with.

The three Supreme forms of God : Durga,Sadashiva and Narayana ALL are depicted as being worshipped by Brahma,Visnu,Mahesh in Their respective puranas and it is not baffling.

I am not baffled

Even in Geeta,Sri Krsna maintains that He is the basis of everything and purushottamam - Greatest of all Purushas/ishvaras.

Oh! That is such good news ! Thanks for letting me know :)

I wasn't arguing with you, Ranjeet - just making sure my post was not taken otherwise, which I don't think it was.
Krshna happens to be my Lord too :)

Thanks for your input from Devi Bhagwat.

Jai Shri Krshna

smaranam
02 March 2010, 04:31 PM
BTW,

A- Visnu
U- Maheshvara
M - Brahma

as clarified by Rambhadracharyaji himself.(he comes in the guru parampara of Tulsidasji and leads that parampara.)

I'm a maharashtrian and the marathi songs of the various gods come from dubious sources.

Gana-esha

The name itself means that he is the chief of the ganas,the associates of Lord Shiva.Thus he is the associate of Shiva on Shivaloka and assists Him in the pastimes.

Just like Balarama is the associate of Krsna on goloka

Mahakali of Durga.
Sarasvati of Narayana.
Hanuman/lakshman of Rama.

Remember ALL these associates are verily called Supreme by many sources since They are expansions of Their respective forms of God.

Thank You Ranjeet. Yes, you are right about A, U , M , I remember that now.

If you are now saying that Ganesh is only an associate of Shiva ( which is true also, and Shiva says Ganesh is non-different from Him ... and so on) ,

what was the purpose of mentioning that Ganesh is a form of Krshna (which is not surprising to me) ?

In any case , all this was refreshing to hear - its all Krshna KathA to me.

ranjeetmore
03 March 2010, 09:51 AM
Hanumanji is an incarnation of Shankara,yet He serves Sri Ram on Saketloka.

I hope you don't think I've come here to start some issue.

smaranam
03 March 2010, 04:21 PM
I hope you don't think I've come here to start some issue.

No. I do learn from you, appreciate your input, and see what your efforts are about. Thank You :)

Let us not forget that this thread belongs to VighnanAshana MangalmUrti GajAnan.

I will not say more, the Lord does not , and will not like it. I see oneness, and Krshna in all. In the microcosm and the macrocosm.

Govindam Adi Purusham Tam aham bhajAmi
Shri Hari bol

Stephen
29 April 2010, 10:22 AM
>The three syllables are run together: AAUUMM (silence), AAUUMM (silence), AAUUMM (silence).

I have the book this is found in (Loving Ganesha by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami). It confused me because every person from India that I asked, including temple priests, insist that it should never be pronounced that way, but always OM.

Eastern Mind
29 April 2010, 11:58 AM
Vannakkam Stephen:

So experiment and see which works better for you.

Did the book say 'run together' or 'blended together' . There would be a difference, IMHO.

Aum namasivaya

Prussian Princess
29 April 2010, 12:38 PM
I have become a devotte to this God by a request, I hope he understand me.

Stephen
29 April 2010, 01:43 PM
Namaste Eastern Mind,

Later in the page it did say they are run together, but earlier it said the "A" should be pronounced "awe" and the "U" as "oo" as in the English word "roof". When they are run together, I don't see how they become "O". Hence, my confusion. Nevertheless, I honor the book and its late author overall.

Blessings,
Stephen

Eastern Mind
29 April 2010, 02:50 PM
Vannakam Prussian Princess:

Welcome to HDF!

It is my belief Mahaganapati would understand all languages.

Aum Namasivaya