PDA

View Full Version : Fasting question - URGENT

ScottMalaysia
11 August 2009, 07:13 PM
I recently decided to observe a Tuesday fast in honour of Mariamman. However, yesterday I accidentally ate some chocolate while fasting, totally forgetting that I was fasting. I prayed and prayed to the Holy Mother for forgiveness, and I agreed to fast the next day (today) as well.

However, as I was on my way to the temple this morning, I swallowed some of my saliva with the taste of toothpaste in it. I don't know if there was any toothpaste in it, but it had the taste of toothpaste in it. I also don't know if it was after the "official" sunrise time, as I didn't bring my watch. Does this break the fast or not?

I really don't know what to do. I've prayed to the Holy Mother for guidance and an answer, and hopefully She can give me an answer through the advice of some of the people on the forum. Should I fast another day tomorrow? If I was 100% certain that I'd broken the fast, I would definitely do it tomorrow, no questions asked. It's the not knowing which is killing me. I really don't know what to do, and I need the advice of religious experts.

(This is one of the things that I like about Islam - all the rules and regulations for prayer, fasting, cleanliness etc are clearly spelled out, and so are the ways of repenting if you've broken them. I find it annoying that Hinduism doesn't have such a practice)

Eastern Mind
11 August 2009, 07:23 PM
Vannakam:

In my opinion, you did not break your fast. I would not think that the taste of toothpaste would count. I would think that would be in the range of what we call fanaticism. You didn't eat the whole tube, did you?

Aum Namasivaya

shian
11 August 2009, 09:42 PM
Namaste,

as far i know , Hindu have many kind of fast right ?

and which kind of fast you do now ? what the name ? and how to do this fast ? what the fphilosophy and story of this kind (you do ) of fast ?

and i also welcome others to sharing about what kind of fast you do... and the many things about your fast.

Thank you

Jai Ma

devotee
11 August 2009, 11:12 PM
I recently decided to observe a Tuesday fast in honour of Mariamman. However, yesterday I accidentally ate some chocolate while fasting, totally forgetting that I was fasting. I prayed and prayed to the Holy Mother for forgiveness, and I agreed to fast the next day (today) as well.

However, as I was on my way to the temple this morning, I swallowed some of my saliva with the taste of toothpaste in it. I don't know if there was any toothpaste in it, but it had the taste of toothpaste in it. I also don't know if it was after the "official" sunrise time, as I didn't bring my watch. Does this break the fast or not?

I really don't know what to do. I've prayed to the Holy Mother for guidance and an answer, and hopefully She can give me an answer through the advice of some of the people on the forum. Should I fast another day tomorrow? If I was 100% certain that I'd broken the fast, I would definitely do it tomorrow, no questions asked. It's the not knowing which is killing me. I really don't know what to do, and I need the advice of religious experts.

(This is one of the things that I like about Islam - all the rules and regulations for prayer, fasting, cleanliness etc are clearly spelled out, and so are the ways of repenting if you've broken them. I find it annoying that Hinduism doesn't have such a practice)

Namaste SM,

I agree with EM's view that you didn't break the fast. Don't go to extremes. Hinduism is a middle path.

God is not a cruel king, ready to punish you at your slightest fault. He is your Real Father. You are just a child. By fasting you are showing your devotion to him & that is the most important thing for him. It is not the act of fasting which is important but the feeling for God during fasting.

In fact, let me tell you that you can't really fast in true sense. With every breath you are inhaling & digesting innumerable bacteria ... should we worry about all that ? Your intention, your devotion is what counts & not the mechanical act.

OM

yajvan
11 August 2009, 11:35 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

Namasté

If one fasts consider reviewing the 24 ekādaśī एकादशी or 10 + 1; hence the 11th tithi¹ , some call hari vāsara ( the Lord's day).

One notable day ( as ScottMalaysia mentioned swallowing, water, etc.) is nirjala¹ ekādaśī - or- that 11th tithi and fasting day where not even water is taken.
There is a story that bhīma¹ ( one of the 5 pāṇḍava) noted for his size , strength and appetite, had difficulty with fasting. He asked for the best day for him, if he could only fast one time a year , what would be that day? It is nirjala ekādaśī ¹ ( this occured in June of this year). It is said, it is equal to all other fasts done on ekādaśī combined.

praṇām

words

tithi तिथि - 1/30th of the month; a lunar day ; Bright half and dark half both have 15 tithi-s each.
nirjala निर्जल - waterless , dry
bhīma - the second son of pāṇḍu within the 5 pāṇḍavaḥ; also called bhīma-sena and vṛkodara ( or wolf bellied, due to his huge appetite).

satay
12 August 2009, 01:17 AM
Namaskar,

I concur with EM and Devotee's views on fasting. You did not break your fast by swallowing 'toothpaste'.

Yajvan, Welcome back!

ScottMalaysia
12 August 2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I thought that it might be verging on fanaticism, but I'm still worried. If a tiny particle of cyanide entered your body, you would still die, so likewise, a tiny particle of toothpaste would seem to break the fast. I still feel bad and I feel that I should make up the day.

as far i know , Hindu have many kind of fast right ?

and which kind of fast you do now ? what the name ? and how to do this fast ? what the fphilosophy and story of this kind (you do ) of fast ?

and i also welcome others to sharing about what kind of fast you do... and the many things about your fast.

The fast that I am talking about is a personal fast. It's mentioned in the latest issue of Hinduism Today (http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=3095&page=4). Tuesday is sacred to Mariamman, the South Indian form of the Holy Mother. Devotees who fast observe a sunrise to sunset fast, during which time they only take liquids (I only drink water).

There are also other fasts, such as those for Maha Shivaratri and Janmashtmami (which is coming up this Friday). The Maha Shivaratri fast is observed from sunrise to the following sunrise, and Janmashtami is from midnight to midnight.

Vaishnavas often perform some kind of fasting on Ekadasi, the eleventh day of the Hindu month. The simplest kind of fasting involves abstaining from grains, beans and pulses. Some devotees drink only water or fully fast. Vaishnavas say that sin resides in grains on Ekadasi and that easting grains on Ekadasi is equivalent to killing your mother, father and guru.

If you want to observe a personal fast, then find out which day is best for fasting for the God that you worship. For example, Lord Ganesha's fasting day is Monday, and Tuesday is for fasting for the Goddess. Other forum members can advise you of fasting days for other Gods.

shian
12 August 2009, 03:05 AM
Jai Sarasvati Mahadeviye

Thank you friends for explanation of any fast

Scott, will you post photo of Amman Temple where you pray ? here ?

ScottMalaysia
12 August 2009, 04:03 AM
Here is a picture of the temple.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6EGjAQ-bw7o/SVtaVBoIl9I/AAAAAAAAAdI/j-ZO8S5E_So/s400/Malaysia%20018.jpg

From left to right the Deities are Lord Ganesha, Sri Maha Mariamman and Lord Murugan. There is a picture of Lord Balaji (Venkateswara) to the left of the Ganesha shrine, which is worshipped. To the right of the Murugan shrine there is a picture of Lord Shiva, Goddess Parvati, Lord Ganesha and Lord Murugan which isn't worshipped. There is a Sivalinga on the right-hand shrine of the temple (not visible). Outside there are shrines to Durga, Nagammah, the Navagrahas, Hanuman and Bhairava.

This photo was taken not long after Deepavali 2007. The decorations on the ceiling aren't there anymore, and the ceiling has been repainted and redone. The orange cloth around the flagpole isn't there now either.

Spiritualseeker
12 August 2009, 07:55 AM
Namaste,

Thing I like about Hinduism is it is not too strict. When I do my puja a lot of times I feel like it is not being done right and this is because of my western attitude. But the Gods and Goddesses accept what we offer as long as we try. Lord Siva's body is the Supreme Consciousness flowing in all things :)

Sherab
12 August 2009, 11:01 AM
Namaste,

Thing I like about Hinduism is it is not too strict. When I do my puja a lot of times I feel like it is not being done right and this is because of my western attitude. But the Gods and Goddesses accept what we offer as long as we try. Lord Siva's body is the Supreme Consciousness flowing in all things :)
However, just because he is in all things does not mean that what actually happens doesnt matter... you need to balance it out. The Isha upanishad says:

Into blind darkness enter those who follow ignorance;
into even greater darkness go those who follow knowledge.
It is distinct, they say, from knowledge.
It is distinct, they say, from ignorance.
So have we heard from the wise who explained it to us.
Knowledge and ignorance, whoever knows the two together
with ignorance passes over death,
with knowledge attains immortality.

namaste

shian
12 August 2009, 11:34 PM
thank you Scott ^_^

hm... in Singapore also many peoples worship Mariamman,

so maybe in Malaysia and Singapore Mariamman is very popular than another form of Devi

Spiritualseeker
13 August 2009, 06:20 AM
However, just because he is in all things does not mean that what actually happens doesnt matter... you need to balance it out. The Isha upanishad says:

Into blind darkness enter those who follow ignorance;
into even greater darkness go those who follow knowledge.
It is distinct, they say, from knowledge.
It is distinct, they say, from ignorance.
So have we heard from the wise who explained it to us.
Knowledge and ignorance, whoever knows the two together
with ignorance passes over death,
with knowledge attains immortality.

namaste

um quite obvious

namaste