PDA

View Full Version : Need for Proper Enunciation and Pronunciation of Shlokas

TatTvamAsi
14 August 2009, 11:27 PM
Namaste,

I have been told by my parents, the priests etc. that proper intonation & pronunciation of the mantras is extremely important due to the subtle energies the bIjA mantras produce (in Sanskrit).

I practice reciting certain mantras in my daily japA and pUjA however I am quite confused without the proper guidance from a guru; my father has been my guru for all these years however I do have some questions about this topic.

First and foremost, does anyone on HDF know why most of the Vedic schools nowadays stress Yajur Veda meters (chaNdaH) even for non-Yajur Vedic mantras? In fact, I have heard the GAyatrI mantrA being recited in Yajur Vedic meter & Sama Vedic meter and it has a totally different effect on the mind/psyche.

Where can one learn more about these Vedic meters? Are there audio CDs in India that contain the different recitations of the Vedas? I have heard parts of the Rig Veda being recited in the Yajur Vedic meter!

Also, what is the significance between the different chaNdaHs? Do the seven levels of differentiation in creation correspond to the various chaNdaHs (7)--> tRiStubH/aNuStubH etc.?

Namaskar.