PDA

View Full Version : Japa mala

c.smith
04 August 2006, 08:39 PM
Is it ok to use the same mala for chnats to different deities? I chant to both Ganesha and Lord Shiva. Do I need a seperate mala for each?

sarabhanga
04 August 2006, 09:09 PM
Namaste,

Shiva and Ganesha are quite compatible! :)

satay
05 August 2006, 12:21 AM
Just to add to that...It is my understanding that one should not chant the name of hari or maha mantra using rudra mala and one should not chant the name of shiva using the tulsi mala.

Arjuna
04 October 2006, 07:50 PM
Is it ok to use the same mala for chnats to different deities? I chant to both Ganesha and Lord Shiva. Do I need a seperate mala for each?

Unless U have exact directions from Ur Guru (and seems U do not), U are free to do as U wish. Moreover, without a diksha any japa is near to useless. Apart from Mahamantras, like Shiva-panchakshari.

Totally agree with Sarabhanga that Shiva and Ganesha vidyas fit well to each other. Rudraksha would be suitable. And generally Shaiva and Vaishnava deities indeed aren't mixed.

MananAtma
04 October 2006, 09:24 PM
Namaste,
I use mala made from lotus seeds and chant mantras to Ganesh, Durga, and Shiva. Punditji, the priest at my temple, seemed to think this was okay, and even blessed my mala for me.

Shanti,
Roy

Arjuna
05 October 2006, 06:12 PM
Namaste,
I use mala made from lotus seeds and chant mantras to Ganesh, Durga, and Shiva. Punditji, the priest at my temple, seemed to think this was okay, and even blessed my mala for me.

I see no problem in this. Padmabija must be OK. Moreover, Ganapati, Durga & Shiva are "one family" only ;)

MananAtma
05 October 2006, 10:47 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is "Padmabija"? Did a yahoo search and came up with no useful hits.

Shanti,
Roy

Arjuna
06 October 2006, 07:54 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is "Padmabija"? Did a yahoo search and came up with no useful hits.

Padmabija is LOTUS SEED ;)

U could have checked with online Sanskrit dictionary!

Yogkriya
07 August 2007, 08:32 AM
Lotus see mala (Kamalgatta mala), Rudraksha mala or Sphatic mala - all are good for general worship. Rudraksha mala is the best for Shiv worship/ sadhna. Otherwise Sphatik mala or a combination mala that has alternative beads of Rudraksha and sphatik can be used for both Shiva and Ganesh sadhnas. Ideally a sperate mala should be used for separate sadhnas. But if this is difficult, then one mala can be used for both the deities since they are not of conflicting nature. Tulsi beads are used for Vaishnava sadhnas and Rudraksha for Shaiva. Kamalgatta mala is very good for Lakshmi / Kamala sadhnas. Moonga malais best for Hanuman Sadhna. Black hakeek for kali and Bhairav.

Jigar
09 August 2007, 12:10 PM
Namaste again,
I feel that the Rudraksh mala have the most masculine emo effect on me, therefore I use them. I know my mother has a collection of all the different sided ( up to 7 i think) seeds, which I want from her some day.

Maste nam,

jigar

Agnideva
09 August 2007, 01:12 PM
Namaste All,

As far as Rudraksha beads go, there are beads which have between 1 and 21 faces (segments). Generally, the five-faced beads are recommended for japa.

A.

Ramakrishna
07 November 2010, 07:26 PM
Namaste all,

Just to add to that...It is my understanding that one should not chant the name of hari or maha mantra using rudra mala and one should not chant the name of shiva using the tulsi mala.

I am wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this or if there are any scriptural verses about this? I am curious because I just ordered a rudraksha mala from the Himalayan Academy and I am planning on using it for both Lord Krishna japa and Lord Shiva japa. I know that rudraksha malas are associated with Lord Shiva, but I wasn't aware that there would be potential problems if I used it for Vaishnava mantra japa as well.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Jai Sri Krishna

Sahasranama
07 November 2010, 07:33 PM
It's absolutely fine to chant vaishnava mantras with rudrakshas. Rudraksha is a universal mala that can be used for all mantras.

Ramakrishna
08 November 2010, 07:08 PM
Namaste Sahasranama,

Thanks for that. I'm really looking forward to the arrival of the mala, as it will be my first. Since I won't be able to have a priest bless it, I'll just recite these mantras: http://www.sharanya.org/articles/mantras/mala.php4

Jai Sri Krishna

jasdir
09 November 2010, 07:14 AM
Do anybody know what is ment by:"Rudraksh" ?

Sahasranama
09 November 2010, 07:20 AM
Rudraksha means the eye of Rudra, because it's believed that Rudra cried and the tears fell on the earth, from the tears grew the Rudraksha tree.

jasdir
09 November 2010, 07:24 AM
Rudraksha means the eye of Rudra, because it's believed that Rudra cried and the tears fell on the earth, from the tears grew the Rudraksha tree.

Sahasranama ji, Nice to meet U

Taking your expencive time, Can i know:
Who was Rudra ?

Namaste by jasdir.

Sahasranama
09 November 2010, 07:26 AM
Rudra is Shiva.

Eastern Mind
09 November 2010, 07:38 AM
Vannakkam:

Big trees... grow fast

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://lh6.ggpht.com/_NZKLcasI5Zo/RlzkJrUnv-I/AAAAAAAABN0/ubheOwMeMh4/IMG_9209_p.jpg&imgrefurl=http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SNP4GzJgK_jL2mGvJJC8CA&usg=__pO1a0UNSEOfbq03BALijWcg8oEo=&h=1067&w=1600&sz=520&hl=en&start=0&zoom=0&tbnid=aALbUjQG_fV7sM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3DRudraksha%2BForest%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D700%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C175&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=700&vpy=106&dur=3047&hovh=100&hovw=150&tx=64&ty=57&ei=Q07ZTJuJKIPJnAfI-9zICA&oei=Q07ZTJuJKIPJnAfI-9zICA&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0&biw=1440&bih=700

Aum Namasivaya

jasdir
09 November 2010, 07:39 AM
Rudra is Shiva.

Sahasranama ji,
Why "Lord Shiva" cried ?

your's jasdir.

Sahasranama
09 November 2010, 07:54 AM
There is some info about that here:
http://www.mantraonnet.com/ss/rudraksha.html

There are more stories of Shiva crying. When Shiva took the form of a baby and appeared from in between brahmas eyebrows he cried. Therefore Brahma gave the name rudra to Shiva, rudati iti rudra, he who cries is Rudra. Another story is that of Shiva crying, because Vishnu was singing beautifully. Those tears created a pond of water at naimisharanya kshetra.

kd gupta
09 November 2010, 10:53 AM
So this would have been a very pious job to take bath there , but I am sorry to say that neither there is any pond of water nor any fairy tale like this .

Sahasranama
09 November 2010, 11:29 AM
I can't verify this story, but I think I heard it in a lecture by a pundit.

Arjuni
12 November 2010, 11:33 PM
As long as the topic is mālā, I have a question.

I have read before - and I cannot remember the source for the life of me - that any mālā used for japa should not be worn, for two reasons: a) a japa mālā should never be displayed but should be kept in someplace private, and b) since japa helps to remove negative qualities from oneself, one shouldn't then wear that mālā and carry those energies around.

However, forum members (and others) have mentioned wearing mālās. What is the purpose of wearing a mālā - as opposed to a regular necklace of the same beads - if it is not to be used as a meditation tool?

Indraneela
===
"I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
Om Indrāya Namaḥ.
Om Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
13 November 2010, 06:59 AM
Vannakkam Indraneela:

I'm sure answers will vary, but for me personally, that is correct. (Japa malas shouldn't be worn) The wearing is more as a mark (perhaps of sect), as some people wear a single rudraksha, or a mala that has gemstones interspaced. Some people also wear japa around their wrists. I believe this is more justy as a carrying method.

Aum Namasivaya

Adhvagat
13 November 2010, 05:47 PM
Can anyone chant the names of Shiva? Would it require diksha or perhaps initial study at least to be respectful?

What mantras are usually chanted with the Rudraksha?

Sahasranama
13 November 2010, 06:14 PM
Certainly, everyone can chant Shiva.

I have posted a related story here:
http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53575&postcount=12

Eastern Mind
13 November 2010, 07:38 PM
Can anyone chant the names of Shiva? Would it require diksha or perhaps initial study at least to be respectful?

What mantras are usually chanted with the Rudraksha?

Vannakkam Pietro: Once upon a time in this lifetime I had them memorized, so if some lowly chap like me can do it, I guess so can you. Here is a link to them, but it is a particularly slow one. Would be good for practising, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI4UnZyncco

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
18 November 2010, 06:18 PM
So this would have been a very pious job to take bath there , but I am sorry to say that neither there is any pond of water nor any fairy tale like this .

You are wrong, there is a pond there named chakrakunda. You can go take a bath now.

http://www.astrojyoti.com/images/Chakrakundam.JPG

Suhita
17 March 2016, 07:06 AM
Namaste all,

I think Yogkriya ji has explained nicely regarding whether or not same mala is used for chanting or worship different deities. Thanks Yogkriya ji!!!

Bhaktina
17 March 2016, 01:58 PM
Namaste All,

I'm no authority on japa, but from my personal experience I think that one should not be worried about chanting Shiva's name on Tulsi mala or chanting Krishna's name on Rudraksha mala. Especially if you are not in a position to buy two different malas for two different names. I used to chant HK maha mantra on my tulsi mala, but since few days ago I started chanting Shiva's name on same mala, and it's still very powerful indeed. After chanting I put it around my neck and start meditating. Since vibration of Shiva's name stays within mala after chanting, it really helps to put me in deep meditative state. I sincerely suggest others to do the same and see how it effects you.

And I agree on not wearing malas around neck everyday, since they're not jewelry, but your own tool for spending some intimate time with God.

Blessings.