PDA

View Full Version : Is it proper to make up a mantra

Hiwaunis
26 August 2009, 01:14 AM
Pranam,
I am trying to incorporate chakra beej mantra's with NavDurga worship as a daily routine. I am having a problem trying to find a mantra for each Devi.

Is it proper to make up a mantra? I was thinking something like, Om Aim Shrim Hrim LAM, Shaila Putri namah. It sounds and feels awkward.

Does each NavDurga Devi have their own mantra? If so please direct to them. Also, does anyone know where online I can get the different NavDurga Devi statues?

Namaste,

ScottMalaysia
26 August 2009, 11:02 AM
For a start: do you speak Sanskrit? All mantras are recited in Sanskrit. To make up a mantra, you would need to be able to understand Sanskrit.

Secondly, most mantras come from the Vedas or the Upanishads.

Hiwaunis
26 August 2009, 01:05 PM
For a start: do you speak Sanskrit? All mantras are recited in Sanskrit. To make up a mantra, you would need to be able to understand Sanskrit.

Secondly, most mantras come from the Vedas or the Upanishads.

Pranam,
I don't speak Sanskrit. I usually have to find the translations for the mantras. I was thinking that I could just insert different names of NavDurga associated with a particular chakra. Next I would just chant the beeja mantra for that chakra. Is it considered improper to do such a thing?

Do you happen to know where in the scriptures the NavDurga Devi mantras are?

Namaste,

bhaktajan
26 August 2009, 01:16 PM
No it is not proper Nor possible!

Hiwaunis
26 August 2009, 02:38 PM
Pranam,
I don't speak Sanskrit. I usually have to find the translations for the mantras. I was thinking that I could just insert different names of NavDurga associated with a particular chakra. Next I would just chant the beeja mantra for that chakra. Is it considered improper to do such a thing?

Do you happen to know where in the scriptures the NavDurga Devi mantras are?

Namaste,

Pranam,
O.K. I get your point. "Don't mess with eternal scriptures."
I just want to incorporate NavDurga with Chakra meditation. Are you saying that this is also wrong? Should I keep the two separated? What are your suggestions/ recommendations?

Namaste,

Hiwaunis
27 August 2009, 10:47 PM
Pranam,
O.K. I get your point. "Don't mess with eternal scriptures."
I just want to incorporate NavDurga with Chakra meditation. Are you saying that this is also wrong? Should I keep the two separated? What are your suggestions/ recommendations?

Namaste,

Pranam,
Originally Posted by bhaktajan

What happened to the rest of your post? Do you have any response to offer to my questions?

Namaste,

bhaktajan
28 August 2009, 09:20 AM
Oh, sorry. Actually I did intend not to respond only because I have not learning nor knowledge of the NavDurga puja.

Ok I just thought of something regarding your Post Title:

[BTW, any stotram (prayer) you invent is fine & commendable ---ideally, in such a case as scripting your own stotram (prayer) it should allude to classical sentiments and paths as exponded by past great orators/authors]

bhaktajan
28 August 2009, 09:48 AM
Ok I just thought of something regarding your Post Title:

Bhagavata-purana (4.24.18):
"Lord Çiva, the most powerful demigod, second only to Lord Viñëu, is self-sufficient. Although he has nothing to aspire for in the material world, for the benefit of those in the material world he is always busily engaged everywhere and is accompanied by his dangerous energies like goddess Kälé and goddess Durgä."

Lord Çiva is known as the greatest devotee of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He is known as the best of all types of Vaiñëavas (vaiñëavänäà yathä çambhuù). Consequently, Lord Çiva has a Vaiñëava sampradäya, the disciplic succession known as the Rudra-sampradäya.

Just as there is a Brahma-sampradäya coming directly from Lord Brahmä, the Rudra-sampradäya comes directly from Lord Çiva.

Lord Çiva is one of the twelve great personalities, as stated in Çrémad-Bhägavatam (6.3.20):
These are twelve great authorities in preaching God consciousness. The name Çambhu means Lord Çiva. His disciplic succession is also known as the Viñëusvämi-sampradäya, and the current Viñëusvämi-sampradäya is also known as the Vallabha-sampradäya.

The current Brahma-sampradäya is known as the Madhva-Gauòéya-sampradäya.

Herein it is mentioned that Lord Çiva is always accompanied by his material energy (çaktyä ghorayä). Material energy—goddess Durgä, or goddess Kälé—is always under his control. Goddess Kälé and Durgä serve him by killing all the asuras, or demons. Sometimes Kälé becomes so infuriated that she indiscriminately kills all kinds of asuras.

There is a popular picture of goddess Kälé in which she wears a garland composed of the heads of the asuras and holds in her left hand a captured head and in her right hand a great khaòga, or chopper, for killing asuras. Great wars are symbolic representations of Kälé’s devastation of the asuras and are actually conducted by the goddess Kälé.

Asuras try to pacify the goddess Kälé, or Durgä, by worshiping her in material opulence, but when the asuras become too intolerable, goddess Kälé does not discriminate in killing them wholesale. Asuras do not know the secret of the energy of Lord Çiva, and they prefer to worship goddess Kälé or Durgä or Lord Çiva for material benefit.

Lord Çiva’s duty is very dangerous because he has to employ the energy of goddess Kälé (or Durgä). In another popular picture the goddess Kälé is sometimes seen standing on the prostrate body of Lord Çiva, which indicates that sometimes Lord Çiva has to fall down flat in order to stop goddess Kälé from killing the asuras.

Since Lord Çiva controls the great material energy (goddess Durgä), worshipers of Lord Çiva attain very opulent positions within this material world. Under Lord Çiva’s direction, a worshiper of Lord Çiva gets all kinds of material facilities.

In contrast, a Vaiñëava, or worshiper of Lord Viñëu, gradually becomes poorer in material possessions because Lord Viñëu does not trick His devotees into becoming materially entangled by possessions.

Since a Vishnu-devotee has nothing to do with any kind of material possession, he does not come under the control of goddess Kälé, or the goddess Durgä.

Lord Çiva is also in charge of the tamo-guëa, or the mode of ignorance in this material world. His potency, the goddess Durgä, is described as keeping all living entities in the darkness of ignorance (yä devé sarva-bhüteñu nidra-rüpaà saàsthitä).

Both Lord Brahmä and Lord Çiva are incarnations of Lord Viñëu, but Lord Brahmä is in charge of the creation whereas Lord Çiva is in charge of the destruction, which he carries out with the help of his material energy, goddess Kälé, or goddess Durgä. Thus in this verse Lord Çiva is described as being accompanied by dangerous potencies (çaktyä ghorayä), and that is the actual position of Lord Çiva.

################################################################################

“The Vaiñëavas generally do not worship any demigods. Çréla Narottama däsa Öhäkura has strictly forbidden all worship of the demigods for anyone who wants to advance in pure devotional service. Yet the gopés, who are beyond compare in their affection for Kåñëa, were seen to worship Durgä. The worshipers of demigods also sometimes mention that the gopés also worshiped goddess Durgä, but we must understand the purpose of the gopés. Generally, people worship goddess Durgä for some material benediction. Here, the gopés could adopt any means to satisfy or serve Kåñëa. That was the superexcellent characteristic of the gopés. They worshiped goddess Durgä completely for one month in order to have Kåñëa as their husband. Every day they prayed for Kåñëa, the son of Nanda Mahäräja, to become their husband.”

################################################################################
The sages said: Respected Süta Gosvämé, you are completely free from all vice. You are well versed in all the scriptures famous for religious life, and in the Puräëas and the histories as well, for you have gone through them under proper guidance and have also explained them.

And because you are submissive, your spiritual masters have endowed you with all the favors bestowed upon a gentle disciple. Therefore you can tell us all that you have scientifically learned from them.

Please, therefore, being blessed with many years, explain to us, in an easily understandable way, what you have ascertained to be the absolute and ultimate good for the people in general.

O learned one, in this iron age of Kali men have but short lives. They are quarrelsome, lazy, misguided, unlucky and, above all, always disturbed.

There are many varieties of scriptures, and in all of them there are many prescribed duties, which can be learned only after many years of study in their various divisions. Therefore, O sage, please select the essence of all these scriptures and explain it for the good of all living beings, that by such instruction their hearts may be fully satisfied.

All blessings upon you, O Süta Gosvämé. You know for what purpose the Personality of Godhead appeared in the womb of Devaké as the son of Vasudeva.

O Süta Gosvämé, we are eager to learn about the Personality of Godhead and His incarnations. Please explain to us those teachings imparted by previous masters [äcäryas], for one is uplifted both by speaking them and by hearing them.

Living beings who are entangled in the complicated meshes of birth and death can be freed immediately by even unconsciously chanting the holy name of Kåñëa, which is feared by fear personified.

O Süta, those great sages who have completely taken shelter of the lotus feet of the Lord can at once sanctify those who come in touch with them, whereas the waters of the Ganges can sanctify only after prolonged use.

Who is there, desiring deliverance from the vices of the age of quarrel, who is not willing to hear the virtuous glories of the Lord?

His transcendental acts are magnificent and gracious, and great learned sages like Närada sing of them. Please, therefore, speak to us, who are eager to hear about the adventures He performs in His various incarnations.