PDA

View Full Version : Divisions of the Vedic Literatures' Chart

bhaktajan
01 September 2009, 09:29 AM
Divisions of the Vedic Literatures' Chart
For members of the International Society for Dharma Consciousness,

Please find attached a Mini-Chart of the:

Divisions of the Vedic Literatures' Chart

Let us start with first with orientation and then exploration.

Bhaktajan

bhaktajan
01 September 2009, 09:32 AM
Divisions of the Vedic Literatures

SRUTI – [revealed writings, or “that which is heard”]:

The four Veda Samhitas - [Rg, Sama, Yajur, and Atharva].

Brahmanas
aranyakas
Upanisads [more than (108) books].SMRTI – [tradition, or “that which is remembered”]:

Itihasas - [Epics, such as the Ramayana and the Mahabharata,
which includes the Bhagavad-gita].

Puranas (Histories):
A] - The (18) Maha-Puranas (“Great Puranas”):

(6) sattvic Puranas (for persons in goodness):

Bhagavata-Purana (Srimad-Bhagavatam),

Visnu-Purana,

Naradiya-Purana

Garuda-Purana

Padma-Purana

Varaha-Purana

(6) rajasic Puranas (for persons in passion):

Matsya-Purana

Kurma-Purana

Liìga-Purana

Siva-Purana

Skanda-Purana

Agni-Purana

(6) tamasic Puranas (for persons in ignorance):

Brahma-Purana

Brahmanda-Purana

Brahma-vaivarta-Purana

Markandeya-Purana

Bhavisya-Purana

Vamana-Purana

B] - The (18) Upa-Puranas (“Minor Puranas”)
C] - The Numerous Sthala-Puranas (“Regional Puranas”)

Sutras(codes) - [Srauti-Sutra, Grha-Sutra, Kalpa-Sutra, Dharma-Sutra, Sulva-Sutra, Vedanta-Sutra].
Vedangas (auxiliary Sciences) - [Siksa, Chandas, Vyakarana, Nirukta, Jyotisa, Kalpa].
Upavedas(sciences indirectly related to Vedic Study) - [ayur-veda, Gandharva-veda, Dhanur-veda, Sthapatya-veda].
Bhasyas (writings and commentaries of the great acaryas throughout history).

yajvan
01 September 2009, 06:43 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

Namasté bhaktajan,

(6) sattvic Puranas (for persons in goodness):
(6) rajasic Puranas (for persons in passion):
(6) tamasic Puranas (for persons in ignorance):

thank you for your post... could you be so kind and to explain the breakout of these purāṇa-s as you see fit or by your point of view.

Are you certain it is by a person's guna type and not perhaps by

sāttvika exalting viṣṇu
rājasa exalting brahmā
tāmasa exalting śiva praṇām

bhaktajan
02 September 2009, 12:21 PM
Ma priya bhayya Yajvan naradev-ji,

First let me say much much I find your Sanskrit word definitions ---they are very entralling for me. I find it priceless.

It has always been a major philosophical question in my mind:

"Which comes first?
The "Act of Creation" or the "Quality"

IOW,

"Which comes first?
The "Act of Creation (via raja-guna) or the "Quality of CREATIVITY ITSELF"? ---The Quality itself would be raja-guna personified in the form of a person possessed of a guna's quality, no?

So the propensity to "Act" as per Raja, Tama or sattva during the majority of ones daily life time is what defines a person [old saying: 'You can Judge a person by their actions'].

The sastra is primarily a parampara lineage that reveals past lessons of the elite whose acts set the standard for all the world to pursue ---that is a benediction for the readers of the sastra ---So IMO, The sastras are divide so as to accommodate the different readers and thus attact all to the ways of higher paths are marked out for less fortunate denizens (souls/persons) of our worlds to establish life's dharma ---in all circumstances.

The Deva-godhead of each Guna is a personal thing IMO. By 'personal' I am referring to the Deva [not the sadhika, student] The Deva is the Personhood that attracts us to a means of Dharma appropriate to our continual past 'architypal' life-times ---though errors in choice of path may take us on detours it can safely be concluded that 'it's all good'.

The Deva-godhead of each Guna is a person with over-arching-qualities that we find attractive and seek to emulate or be of service to.

raja-guna sastra certainly does not seek to solely promote a sadhika to Brahma's Planetary system . . . but such sastra does result it qualifiying one to gain admittance (via stern penances) to the audience of elite company and the 'beautiful-people'.

Each of the Three groups of sastra is Mercy for the beholder & steward of such history books.

sarva shivam as tu te,
bhaktajan

bhaktajan
02 September 2009, 12:29 PM
I'd like to Highlight the following Purana:

1—The timeless wisdom of India is expressed in the ancient Sanskrit Vedas. Originally preserved through oral tradition, the Vedas were first put into writing five thousand years ago by Srila Vyasadeva, “the literary incarnation of God.” After compiling the Vedas, Vyasadeva set forth their essence in the aphorisms known as Vedanta-sutras.
From Isopanisad Introdution: But five thousand years ago Vyasadeva put the Vedas in writing for the people in this age, Kali-yuga. He divided the Vedas into four: Rig, Sama, Atharva and Yajur. Then he gave the charge of these Vedas to his different disciples. Then Vyasadeva summarized all Vedic knowledge for scholars and philosophers in what is called the Vedanta-sutra. This is the last word of the Vedas. Vyasadeva was not very satisfied even after compiling many Puranas and Upanisads, and even after writing the Vedanta-sutra. Then his spiritual master, Narada, instructed him, “Explain the Vedanta-sutra.” Vedanta means “ultimate knowledge,” and the ultimate knowledge is Krsna. Krsna says that throughout all the Vedas one has to understand Him: vedanta-krd veda-vid eva caham. Krsna says, “I am the compiler of the Vedanta-sutra, and I am the knower of the Vedas.” Therefore the ultimate objective is Krsna. The Vedanta-sutra simply hints at what is Brahman, the Absolute Truth: “The Absolute Truth is that from whom everything emanates.” This is a summary, but it is explained in detail in Srimad-Bhagavatam. If everything is emanating from the Absolute Truth, then what is the nature of the Absolute Truth? That is explained in Srimad-Bhagavatam. The Absolute Truth must be consciousness. He is self-effulgent (svarat). We develop our consciousness and knowledge by receiving knowledge from others, but for Him it is said that He is self-effulgent. The whole summary of Vedic knowledge is the Vedanta-sutra, and the Vedanta-sutra is explained by the writer himself in Srimad-Bhagavatam. We finally request those who are actually after Vedic knowledge to try to understand the explanation of all Vedic knowledge from Srimad-Bhagavatam and the Bhagavad-gita.

2—Srimad-Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana) is Vyasadeva’s commentary on his own Vedanta-sutras.

3—After compiling the Bhagavatam, Vyasa imparted it to his son, Sukadeva Gosvami.

4—Sukadeva Gosvami later recited the entire Bhagavatam to Maharaja Pariksit in an assembly of learned saints on the banks of the Ganges at Hastinapura (now Delhi).

5—Maharaja Pariksit was the emperor of the world and was a great rajarsi (saintly king). Having received a curse that he would die within the seven days, he renounced his entire kingdom and retired to the bank of the Ganges River to fast until death and received spiritual enlightenment.

6—The Bhagavatam begins with Emperor Pariksit’s inquiry to Sukadeva: Maharaja Pariksit: “You are the spiritual master of great saints and devotees. I am therefore begging you to show the way of perfection for all persons, and especially for one who is about to die. Please let me know what a man should hear, chant, remember and worship, and what he should not do. Please explain all this to me.”

7—Sukadeva often relates historical episodes and give accounts of lengthy philosophical discussions between such great souls as Narada Muni and Vasudeva.

8—At a later date, the sage Suta Goswami, [who was present at the Ganges River assembly] repeated the Bhagavatam before a gathering of Sages in the forest of Naimisaranya. [These sages, concerned about the spiritual welfare of the people in general, gathered to perform a long, continuous chain of penances to counteract the degrading influence of the oncoming age of Kali.] In response to the sages’ request Suta Gosvami repeated from memory the entire Srimad-Bhagavatam, as spoken by Sukadeva to Pariksit.

9—Also, Suta Goswami sometimes responds directly to questions put by Saunaka Rsi, the spokesman for the sages gathered at Naimisaranya.

10—One therefore simultaneously hears two dialogues: 1) between Maharaja Pariksit and Sukadeva Goswami on the bank of the Ganges, and, 2) between the Suta Goswami and Saunaka Rsi, the spokesman for the sages gathered at Naimisaranya.

11—With this understanding of the history of the Bhagavatam, the reader will easily be able to follow its intermingling of dialogues, and events from various sources.

bhaktajan
02 September 2009, 12:33 PM
Attached is a mini chart of the 18 major puranas etc.

For confirmation, the chart (should) show all the shloka numbers whence the data was found.

kd gupta
03 September 2009, 02:21 AM
After seeing Kd Atanu and Yajvan naradev as addressed by you I suppose that you have some anger in mind , see anger is how bad ?
Goswamiji writes that it was anger which compelled Bhagwan Shankar to destroy Kamdeo.
Saurav pallav madanu nihara, chitwat Kam bhayeu jari chhara.

See what Krsn says…
Krodhati bhavati sammohah , sammohat smratibhrmah.
Smritibhramah buddhinash, buddhinashah pranasyati..this is as per my rememberence, so don’t mind as you have read gita 500 times.
Also note that is pure scientific shloka as it translates…Illusion makes delusion which finally lands to hallucination and then finishing everything .
Who is jnani and bhakt , he is dear to Krsn, Jnanibhaktirvishishyate .
Now there is one word Dheer [ Sobre ], Deerastatra na muhyati , means sobre is both jnani and bhakt and above Moha .
You are very intelligent to choose the name Bhaktajan , pl. make it Bhaktajnan , as Eastern mindJI has suggested me not to advise change in name .

bhaktajan
03 September 2009, 09:22 AM
Uncle Sakuni had a 'problem' with Krodha . . .

It is lust only, Arjuna, . . . which is the all-devouring sinful enemy of this world.

tolerate the urges of the material senses and check the force of desire and anger

Those who are free from anger and all material desires, . . . are assured of liberation in the Supreme in the very near future.

Being freed from attachment, fear and anger, being fully absorbed in Me and taking refuge in Me, many, many persons in the past became purified by knowledge of Me—and thus they all attained transcendental love for Me.

There are three gates leading to this hell—lust, anger and greed. Every sane man should give these up, for they lead to the degradation of the soul.

bhaktajan
03 September 2009, 09:31 AM
kd gupta mitra,

I am defenseless when you quote gita to me bcause:

Krsna also says,
And I declare that he who studies this sacred conversation of ours worships Me by his intelligence.

and,

And one who listens with faith and without envy becomes free from sinful reactions and attains to the auspicious planets where the pious dwell.

and

For one who explains this supreme secret to the devotees, pure devotional service is guaranteed, and at the end he will come back to Me.

any laments you have cause me lamentation too,
your happiness is my repose,
sarva shivam as tu te,
bhaktajan

kd gupta
03 September 2009, 11:20 PM
Dear Bhaktajan
Krsn contains four letters, as it is the abstract of four Vedas .
As I have described in Vedastra: Vedastras (http://vedastra.blogspot.com/2009/08/vedastras.html)

bhaktajan
04 September 2009, 02:49 PM
"K-r-s-n contains four letters, as it is the abstract of four Vedas."

Capital Ideal!

bhaktajan
04 September 2009, 03:44 PM
The (6) Braches of Vedic Wisdom are:

1 - Jaimini's "karma-mimamsa system"
2 - Kapila's [Devahuti-putra] "Sankhya system"
3 - Gautama's and Kanada's "Nyaya Philosophy"
4 - Ashtavakra's "Mayavadi Philosophy"
5 - Patanjali's "Yoga-sutras"
6 - Srila Vyasadeva's "Bhagavata Philosophy"

yajvan
09 September 2009, 10:17 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

Namasté

Thus there are 108 generally accepted Upaniñads, of which eleven are the most important.

Perhaps when you have time, you can inform us on which Upaniṣad goes with which veda? And maybe just a snippet of the significance of the name of the Upaniṣad e.g. why is the Kathā Upaniṣad ( or is it kaṭha upaniṣad) named such ?This would be a wealth of information and very valuable to us all...

And if not too too much trouble , could you be so kind to let us know the nature of what is being taught in the top 11 upaniṣad-s you mention? This would be a boon for all the readers here on HDF.

praṇām

bhaktajan
10 September 2009, 10:18 AM
Aho, anga Yajvan,

"there are 108 generally accepted Upaniñads, of which eleven are the most important."

Regarding 'which Upaniṣad goes with which veda?' I would naturally try to present to y

atanu
10 September 2009, 12:00 PM
Goswamiji writes that it was anger which compelled Bhagwan Shankar to destroy Kamdeo.

Namaste KD gupta,

Bhagawan is not compelled. The third eye is Jnana chaksu. It appears to be bhayankar to pApis.

Svet. Upanishad Chapter III

The non—dual Ensnarer rules by His powers. Remaining one and the same, He rules by His powers all the worlds during their manifestation and continued existence. They who know this become immortal.
Rudra is truly one; for the knowers of Brahman do not admit the existence of a second, He alone rules all the worlds by His powers. He dwells as the inner Self of every living being. After having created all the worlds, He, their Protector, takes them back into Himself at the end of time.
His eyes are everywhere, His faces everywhere, His arms everywhere, everywhere His feet. He it is who endows men with arms, birds with feet and wings and men likewise with feet. Having produced heaven and earth, He remains as their non—dual manifester.
He, the omniscient Rudra, the creator of the gods and the bestower of their powers, the support of the universe, He who, in the beginning, gave birth to Hiranyagarbha—may He endow us with clear intellect!
O Rudra, Thou who dwellest in the body and bestowest happiness! Look upon us with that most blessed form of Thine, which is auspicious, unterrifying and all good.

Om

bhaktajan
10 September 2009, 01:23 PM
Atanu,

Where is Rudra identified as different from MahaVishnu?

Where is Rudra identified as Shiva?

Does one require researching other Sastra to anwser the above two questions?

If Yes. Then other sastra are all cross-linked and related to each other--just like Brahma, Narada, Sanat Kumaras, Shiva & Ganesh et al -- all cross-linked and related to each other-- akin to family relationships, ergo extensive texts (sastra) are required to retell pastimes from devata-antiquity, where some dialogues are confidential, exclusive and non-sequitors . . . until one is informed and well-read enough to "cross-linked and relate all the other PURANAS".

bhaktajan

bhaktajan
10 September 2009, 01:27 PM
Atunu,

Of all the Upanisads to quote advaita-logic you pick Svetasvatara Upanishad—which very clearly presents the Vaishnava point of view regarding the Lord and the living entity.

bhaktajan
10 September 2009, 01:52 PM
If all non-vaishnavas see that the soul & Brahman can unite into a merged state of "non-differisation" that what is the meaning of "atma-ha"?

I have seen "atma-ha(s)" at work up close and I wish that all others avoid any mis-information that might save a soul.

There is no truth superior to that Supreme Person —as is taught by the reavealed scriptures of India, for example read below,

Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad (3.8—9):

vedäham etaà puruñaà mahäntam

äditya-varëaà tamasaù parastät

tam eva viditväti måtyum eti
nänyaù panthä vidyate ’yanäya
yasmät paraà näparam asti kiïcid
yasmän näëéyo no jyäyo ’sti kiïcit
våkña iva stabdho divi tiñöhaty ekas
tenedaà pürëaà puruñeëa sarvam

“I know that Supreme Personality of Godhead who is transcendental to all material conceptions of darkness. Only he who knows Him can transcend the bonds of birth and death. There is no way for liberation other than this knowledge of that Supreme Person.
“There is no truth superior to that Supreme Person, because He is the supermost. He is smaller than the smallest, and He is greater than the greatest. He is situated as a silent tree, and He illumines the transcendental sky, and as a tree spreads its roots, He spreads His extensive energies.”

All the Devatas are cousins and related to eachother since Brahma was born from the navel of Vishnu.

Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad (3.10):

tato yad uttarataraà tad arüpam anämayam

ya etad vidur amåtäs te bhavanti athetare duùkham eväpiyanti.

“In the material world Brahmä, the primeval living entity within the universe, is understood to be the supreme amongst the demigods, human beings and lower animals. But beyond Brahmä there is the Transcendence, who has no material form and is free from all material contaminations. Anyone who can know Him also becomes transcendental, but those who do not know Him suffer the miseries of the material world.”

A soul will be conditioned to believe any thing that an attractive salesman will say —so we must scrutinise the scriptures to put everthing in order just like passport/taxes/bank accounts are attended to.

Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad (3.18):

nava-dväre pure dehé

haàso leläyate bahiù

vaçé sarvasya lokasya
sthävarasya carasya ca

“The Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is living within the body of a living entity, is the controller of all living entities all over the universe. The body consists of nine gates [two eyes, two nostrils, two ears, one mouth, the anus and the genitals]. The living entity in his conditioned stage identifies himself with the body, but when he identifies himself with the Lord within himself, he becomes just as free as the Lord, even while in the body.”

The soul is small and it owns the rights & the Deed to the property known as its own individual soul. Atomic space can be divided and still further divided and each time life-forms will be found.
These life-forms are seeking the supreme personality long before they know to first start with their own self-realisation.

The Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad (5.9):

bälägra-çata-bhägasya

çatadhä kalpitasya ca

bhägo jévaù vijïeyaù
sa cänantyäya kalpate

“When the upper point of a hair is divided into one hundred parts and again each of such parts is further divided into one hundred parts, each such part is the measurement of the dimension of the spirit soul.”

How can advaita-logician like Atanu neglect to recognize the mention of GodHead is the Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad?

The Supreme Personality of Godhead is described in the Vedic literatures as follows (Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad 6.7–8):

tam éçvaräëäà paramaà maheçvaraà

taà devatänäà paramaà ca daivatam

patià paténäà paramaà parastäd
vidäma devaà bhuvaneçam éòyam
na tasya käryaà karaëaà ca vidyate
na tat-samaç cäbhyadhikaç ca dåçyate
paräsya çaktir vividhaiva çrüyate
sväbhäviké jïäna-bala-kriyä ca

“The Supreme Lord is the controller of all other controllers, and He is the greatest of all the diverse planetary leaders. Everyone is under His control. All entities are delegated with particular power only by the Supreme Lord; they are not supreme themselves. He is also worshipable by all demigods and is the supreme director of all directors. Therefore, He is transcendental to all kinds of material leaders and controllers and is worshipable by all. There is no one greater than Him, and He is the supreme cause of all causes.

He does not possess bodily form like that of an ordinary living entity. There is no difference between His body and His soul. He is absolute. All His senses are transcendental. Any one of His senses can perform the action of any other sense. Therefore, no one is greater than Him or equal to Him. His potencies are multifarious, and thus His deeds are automatically performed as a natural sequence.”

yajvan
10 September 2009, 03:20 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

Namasté

Aho, anga Yajvan,

"there are 108 generally accepted Upaniñads, of which eleven are the most important."

Regarding 'which Upaniṣad goes with which veda?' I would naturally try to present to y

not sure of the message that was tansmitted. please advise i.e.
I would naturally try to present to y
You have been kind to offer much content, but within what context?
IMHO the value is to connect the content to the context with some conclusions, insights, opinions, POV's, etc ( no?)

Perhaps this can be on your docket - insights, and conclusions? and perhaps when you have time
And if not too too much trouble , could you be so kind to let us know the nature of what is being taught in the top 11 upaniṣad-s you mention? This would be a boon for all the readers here on HDF.

praṇām

atanu
10 September 2009, 09:11 PM
There is no truth superior to that Supreme Person —as is taught by the reavealed scriptures of India, for example read below,
Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad (3.8—9):
vedäham etaà puruñaà mahäntam

äditya-varëaà tamasaù parastät

tam eva viditväti måtyum eti

nänyaù panthä vidyate ’yanäya
yasmät paraà näparam asti kiïcid
yasmän näëéyo no jyäyo ’sti kiïcit
våkña iva stabdho divi tiñöhaty ekas
tenedaà pürëaà puruñeëa sarvam

“I know that Supreme Personality of Godhead who is transcendental to all material conceptions of darkness. Only he who knows Him can transcend the bonds of birth and death. There is no way for liberation other than this knowledge of that Supreme Person.
“There is no truth superior to that Supreme Person, because He is the supermost. He is smaller than the smallest, and He is greater than the greatest. He is situated as a silent tree, and He illumines the transcendental sky, and as a tree spreads its roots, He spreads His extensive energies.”

All the Devatas are cousins and related to eachother since Brahma was born from the navel of Vishnu.

Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad (3.10):

tato yad uttarataraà tad arüpam anämayam

ya etad vidur amåtäs te bhavanti athetare duùkham eväpiyanti.

“In the material world Brahmä, the primeval living entity within the universe, is understood to be the supreme amongst the demigods, human beings and lower animals. But beyond Brahmä there is the Transcendence, who has no material form and is free from all material contaminations. Anyone who can know Him also becomes transcendental, but those who do not know Him suffer the miseries of the material world.”

A soul will be conditioned to believe any thing that an attractive salesman will say —so we must scrutinise the scriptures to put everthing in order just like passport/taxes/bank accounts are attended to.

Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad (3.18):

nava-dväre pure dehé

haàso leläyate bahiù

vaçé sarvasya lokasya

sthävarasya carasya ca

“The Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is living within the body of a living entity, is the controller of all living entities all over the universe. The body consists of nine gates [two eyes, two nostrils, two ears, one mouth, the anus and the genitals]. The living entity in his conditioned stage identifies himself with the body, but when he identifies himself with the Lord within himself, he becomes just as free as the Lord, even while in the body.”

------
These life-forms are seeking the supreme personality long before they know to first start with their own self-realisation.

How can advaita-logician like Atanu neglect to recognize the mention of GodHead is the Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad?

Namaste Bhakta,

Open your eyes a the mind a bit.

An extract of sanskrit text of Svet. Upanishad is as below:

Third Chapter

eko hi rudro na dvitiiyaaya tasthu\-
rya imaa.nllokaaniishata iishaniibhiH .
pratyaN^ janaastishhThati saJNchukochaantakaale
sa.nsR^ijya vishvaa bhuvanaani gopaaH .. 2..

vishvatashchaxuruta vishvatomukho
vishvatobaahuruta vishvataspaat.h .
saM baahubhyaa.n dhamati saMpatatrai\-
rdyaavaabhuumii janayan.h deva ekaH .. 3..

yo devaanaaM prabhavashchodbhavashcha
vishvaadhipo rudro maharshhiH .
hiraNyagarbha.n janayaamaasa puurva.n
sa no buddhyaa shubhayaa sa.nyunaktu .. 4..

yaa te rudra shivaa tanuuraghoraa.apaapakaashinii .
tayaa nastanuvaa shantamayaa girishantaabhichaakashiihi .. 5..

Whereas, the ISKCON translation removes Rudra and Shiva from the verses and replace by Supreme Personality of Godhead. As shown below:

ISKCON Translation

Svet. Upanishad
TEXT 2
The Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is one without a second, with His potencies rules the worlds. He stays within the living entities. He protects the worlds. He created the worlds and at the last moment He withdraws them.

TEXT 3
His eyes are everywhere. His faces are everywhere. His arms are everywhere. His feet are everywhere. He, the one Supreme Personality of Godhead, breathed life into they who have two arms on the land and they who have wings in the sky.
TEXT 4
May the omniscient Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is the creator and protector of the demigods, and who in the beginning fathered the demigod Brahma, give us good intelligence. TEXT 5
O Supreme Personality of Godhead, please show us Your auspicious, handsome, sinless, peaceful form.

The Supreme Personality of Godhead is described in the Vedic literatures as follows (Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad 6.7–8):

tam éçvaräëäà paramaà maheçvaraà

taà devatänäà paramaà ca daivatam

patià paténäà paramaà parastäd

vidäma devaà bhuvaneçam éòyam
na tasya käryaà karaëaà ca vidyate
na tat-samaç cäbhyadhikaç ca dåçyate
paräsya çaktir vividhaiva çrüyate
sväbhäviké jïäna-bala-kriyä ca

“The Supreme Lord is the controller of all other controllers, and He is the greatest of all the diverse planetary leaders. --------”

Yes.It is the most loved verse on which I have songs. The verse is:

6.7 tamiishvaraaNaaM paramaM maheshvara.n
ta.n devataanaaM parama.n cha daivatam.h .
patiM patiinaaM paramaM parastaad.h\-
vidaama devaM bhuvaneshamiiDyam.h .. 7..

6.7 we will know this mightiest one who is far above all the mighty – this summit of the gods and their godhead, king of kings and lord of lords, who towereth high above all summit and greatnesses. Let us learn of god for he is this universes' master and all shall adore him.

------------------------------

No group should bind its members to such blindness that they refuse to see for themselves. They shut their eyes and mind and refuse that the verse says:

eko hi rudro na dvitiiyaaya tasthu
deva ekaH

Bhakta do not be a literal servant and refuse to just open your mind a bit and give a look. I know the western rajasic indignation will not allow a simple acceptance that ISKCON translation is malicious --- or is only for their own bonded devotees.

Stop for a few moments and see the words as they are. For a moment forget of the bondage.

Om