PDA

View Full Version : What to Do When Your Mind is Very Disturbed

satay
13 August 2006, 11:23 PM
"What to Do When Your Mind is Very Disturbed"
(Lesson C28)

The Ultimate Self Realization Course (TM)
Presenting the World's Leading Self Realization Training System
Under the guidance and inspiration of ISKCON Founder-Acharya:
His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Guiding Thousands to the Highest Enlightenment
In Over a Hundred Countries around the Globe
(listed at http://www.backtohome.com/countries)

Your personalized Self Realization Training Program
Taught by His Grace Sriman Sankarshan Das Adhikari

If you are not yet a subscriber to our free e-course,
you can join right now at: http://www.backtohome.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Krishna consciousness is that state of mind in which one is completely free from all disturbance. But a neophyte devotee who is still trying to develop his Krishna consciousness is not purely absorbed in Krishna consciousness yet and therefore sometimes experiences disturbances of mind as he struggles to advance himself along the path of bhakti.

What should he do when such disturbances arise? He should certainly not abandon the pathway of Krishna consciousness thinking that because he could not quickly achieve the supreme perfection that therefore the process of Krishna consciousness does not work.

Just as a woman who gets married cannot expect to have a baby immediately, the process of Krishna consciousness takes time. We must be patient while we confidently await the attainment of the desired result, pure love of God.

The main thing to do when your mind gets disturbed is to keep your spirit of dedication to Krishna 100% alive. Do not lose your faith in the process. Understand that the mental difficulties you are experiencing are merely the burning off of your past sinful activities. There is a wonderful verse in the Srimad Bhagavatam, which can be very helpful in times of distress:

tat te 'nukampam su-samiksamano
bhunjana evatma-krtam vipakam
hrd-vag-vapurbhir vidadhan namas te
jiveta yo mukti-pade sa daya-bhak

"My dear Lord, any person who is constantly awaiting Your causeless mercy to be bestowed upon him, and who goes on suffering the resultant actions of his past misdeeds, offering You respectful obeisances from the core of his heart, is surely eligible to become liberated, for it has become his rightful claim."
--Srimad Bhagavatam 10.14.8

If you can remain steadfast in spite of the difficulties, Lord Krishna will recognize your impeccable sincerity and will reward you with rapid advancement along the path of bhakti.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

hanuman_das
14 August 2006, 06:01 AM
Lovely post,
Hare Krishna.

c.smith
18 January 2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks Satay - This has helped me with japa by being able to stay focused, etc. Sometimes it's as simple as surrendering to Krishna.

Hare Krishna

Clayton

saidevo
18 January 2007, 07:38 PM
Namaste Satay,

The main thing to do when your mind gets disturbed is to keep your spirit of dedication to Krishna 100% alive. Do not lose your faith in the process. Understand that the mental difficulties you are experiencing are merely the burning off of your past sinful activities, compared to their modern counterparts.

It was by reading Srila Prabhupada that I came to know the details of rebirth of a human soul. When I read about his morning walk discourses some ten years or so ago, I used to enjoy his comments on science and the way he called scientists 'rascals'! And I have always wondered at the commitment, physical cleanliness, mental poise, and dedication of ISKCON devotees, specially westerns, who with their soft, flowing, clean clothes looked real tejasvis.

Until the 1970s, a large number of people in Tamilnadu from all communities sported a tuft of hair instead of the modern 'crop' and were proud of their hairstyle. Today, even a Vedic brahmin is embarrassed at his tuft of hair, due to the deplorable dravadian culture and the spread of atheism. Whereas an ISKCON devotee, specially the westerner, looks spiritually smart and is proud of his hairstyle.

Guruji's teaching of total surrender with the conviction that our meandering thoughts are but burning up of old karma is a wonderful technique for concentration in meditation. It also helps the mind from indulging in creation of more Akaamya karma.

Nice post.

teddy
28 October 2010, 08:39 AM
Proud of their hairstyles... Isn't that all a bit materialistic? We are not the body!! We are not the hairstyles!!

The state of mind in which one is completely free from all disturbance... isn't that 'death'?

atmarama108
26 November 2010, 02:27 AM
"What to Do When Your Mind is Very Disturbed"
(Lesson C28)

The Ultimate Self Realization Course (TM)
Presenting the World's Leading Self Realization Training System
Under the guidance and inspiration of ISKCON Founder-Acharya:
His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

Guiding Thousands to the Highest Enlightenment
In Over a Hundred Countries around the Globe
(listed at http://www.backtohome.com/countries)

Your personalized Self Realization Training Program
Taught by His Grace Sriman Sankarshan Das Adhikari

If you are not yet a subscriber to our free e-course,
you can join right now at: http://www.backtohome.com

Krishna consciousness is that state of mind in which one is completely free from all disturbance. But a neophyte devotee who is still trying to develop his Krishna consciousness is not purely absorbed in Krishna consciousness yet and therefore sometimes experiences disturbances of mind as he struggles to advance himself along the path of bhakti.

What should he do when such disturbances arise? He should certainly not abandon the pathway of Krishna consciousness thinking that because he could not quickly achieve the supreme perfection that therefore the process of Krishna consciousness does not work.

Just as a woman who gets married cannot expect to have a baby immediately, the process of Krishna consciousness takes time. We must be patient while we confidently await the attainment of the desired result, pure love of God.

The main thing to do when your mind gets disturbed is to keep your spirit of dedication to Krishna 100% alive. Do not lose your faith in the process. Understand that the mental difficulties you are experiencing are merely the burning off of your past sinful activities. There is a wonderful verse in the Srimad Bhagavatam, which can be very helpful in times of distress:

tat te 'nukampam su-samiksamano
bhunjana evatma-krtam vipakam
hrd-vag-vapurbhir vidadhan namas te
jiveta yo mukti-pade sa daya-bhak

"My dear Lord, any person who is constantly awaiting Your causeless mercy to be bestowed upon him, and who goes on suffering the resultant actions of his past misdeeds, offering You respectful obeisances from the core of his heart, is surely eligible to become liberated, for it has become his rightful claim."
--Srimad Bhagavatam 10.14.8

If you can remain steadfast in spite of the difficulties, Lord Krishna will recognize your impeccable sincerity and will reward you with rapid advancement along the path of bhakti.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari

Thank you for this post prabhu. I have also heard one can chant loudly to bring the mind back to Krsna.

Nitai Gauranga!

kahanam
26 November 2010, 03:40 AM
Just sit quietly. Think of the Lord and His Form. Close your eyes and meditate on His Form and Name! The mind will slowly quiten and rest!
:) :) :)

Eastern Mind
26 November 2010, 07:14 AM
Vannakkam:

When the mind is very disturbed, it is nigh impossible to sit still or do quieting techniques. When the mind is disturbed, you don't WANT to go to temple.

There are those few people whose minds never get really disturbed, but for th average Joe, it does happen. How often is another question.

I believe one of the best strategies is to go for a walk. Attempt to use your will to move your own awareness, at least enough to calm down enough for some clarity.

I had a student with severe anger management issues, enough to involve other childrens' personal physical safety. So whenever I was able to recognise, we'd all move out of the classroom and give the boy a 20 minute break.

Personally, I would never recommend trying to sit down, go to shrine room, or temple. These are places where mystically, doors are open. Your anger or distrurbed mind could vey well draw the wrong type of inner plane beings, namely asuras. Better to do something simple like going for a walk. Go buy a snack somewhere, on foot.

Aum Namasivaya

realdemigod
30 December 2010, 12:00 PM
In my view..Hare Krsna mahamantra really works when one's mind is disturbed. Even though I don't totally accept Iskcon ways and methods.. but I believe this mantra works. Krsna is all trance

Ganeshprasad
30 December 2010, 02:28 PM
Pranam

In my view..Hare Krsna mahamantra really works when one's mind is disturbed. Even though I don't totally accept Iskcon ways and methods.. but I believe this mantra works. Krsna is all trance

This mahamantra is not a property of any individual, sect or institute.
It works because it is a vedic mantra, very simple and sublime.

http://www.astrojyoti.com/kalisantaranaupanishad.htm

Jai Shree Krishna

Kumar_Das
30 December 2010, 03:51 PM

And what do you quite mean by that? So Lord Krishna is not the Supreme Being?

Pranam

This mahamantra is not a property of any individual, sect or institute.
It works because it is a vedic mantra, very simple and sublime.

http://www.astrojyoti.com/kalisantaranaupanishad.htm

Jai Shree Krishna

Exactly. Vedas are beyond sectarianism. They are powerful, potent and effective because they are mantras from the Vedas.

Even though I read and reflect on many bhajans and stotrams of the different Acharyas. Nothing ever compares to the effect a Vedic recitation can have.

realdemigod
30 December 2010, 09:53 PM
Kumar_Das, may be for you.. not for me

Kumar_Das
30 December 2010, 11:27 PM
You said "Krishna is all trance".(I know what you were trying to imply by that) So there is nothing more to Lord Krishna since He is all trance.

Kumar_Das
30 December 2010, 11:42 PM
Kumar_Das, may be for you.. not for me

So Krishna is not the Supreme Being for you.

And you previously had said

Kumar Das & Param,
I believe Shiva, Vishnu, Krsna all are one and the same. The dream has nothing to do with hailing Krsna dismissing others. It's just I have chosen to worship Shiva. My only intention to put forth my dream is it could mean something that I don't know. I don't think I have revealed anything by letting out my dream.

realdemigod
31 December 2010, 03:38 AM
When you asked me ...is Krna not supreme being.. and my answer was not in the way Iskcon ppl see Krsna. And I felt you were expecting the answer.. Iskcon ppl would..

Kumar_Das
31 December 2010, 04:21 AM
When you asked me ...is Krna not supreme being.. and my answer was not in the way Iskcon ppl see Krsna. And I felt you were expecting the answer.. Iskcon ppl would..

Just accept that you messed up trolling, won't ya?

realdemigod
31 December 2010, 06:43 AM
What's this.. you are an advocate of truth?!

Besides supreme is a superlative term.. there can't be many supremes.. Shiva or Visnu or Krsna. Obviously your question isn't framed properly.

I still stand on my point Krsna is an avatar of a Supreme Intelligence..like every other god.

Kumar_Das
01 January 2011, 05:28 AM

Besides supreme is a superlative term.. there can't be many supremes.. Shiva or Visnu or Krsna. Obviously your question isn't framed properly.

I still stand on my point Krsna is an avatar of a Supreme Intelligence..like every other god.

Sanatana Dharma and neither is this forum, something which any pariah can come and abuse.

Kumar_Das
01 January 2011, 06:10 AM
I asked you a simple question, whether or not you considered Krishna as Almighty God or the Supreme Being.

And why did I do that? Because you said "Krishna is all trance".

I know you were deliberately saying that as a subversive way of insulting.

Because I know you are either a Christian or a Muslim of the many others here posing and making garbage useless fraudulent posts. You see calling your God as "all trance" as absurd and blasphemous yourself so you are purposely instead calling Krishna that.

Non-sequitor question.

I'm an advocate of truth, that's why I am exposing YOU now!

My question wasn't asking you about your deliberate perverted opinions. I was interrogating you!

Because as Christian/Muslim your point here is not come on and spread Monotheistic views and be respectful of the Devas. Your agenda here is to add filth and since you are being allowed to do so, you do it, because you can get away with it. Without anyone striking the ban hammer or any sharp witted member calling you out.

I designed my question on purpose to make you sweat. Because like I said, your purpose is not to be constructive/truthful but to spread falsehood/nonsense. So when I corner you, even still you skirt around and respond with more garbage.

You agree that Supreme is Superlative. God is Supreme, therefore nothing else can be superior to God.

You say Krishna is an avatar of Supreme Intelligence. Yet Krishna is it not the Supreme Being.

Why are you saying this?

Like I said. Your point is to detract us from truth and be a deterrent/nuisance.

God/Supreme Being possesses Supreme Intelligence.

Supreme Intelligence is none other than God's nature.

You are saying Krishna = incarnation of the nature of God but is not God.

There has been an unprecendented spike in the registration of members and activity on this forum since I registered.

My posts are deliberately designed attacks launched against sullahs/pisslam/"allah". I severely slaughter away at how pisslam is not Monotheistic.

So obviously these sullahs feeling upset have to do something about it. You can't come here straight away and start explicity insulting our Gods. So what's the next best thing? You want to covertly show that Hindus are non-Monotheistic. You clutter the forum with posts that violate Monotheism. Because you think we Hindus are dumb polytheists/idolators and won't be able to sniff out your stench.

It's your way of getting back.

satay
01 January 2011, 03:57 PM
Admin note
Thread under review.