PDA

View Full Version : Puja as you do it

Dani
13 September 2009, 02:23 PM
Namaste to all!

I hava quaestion about how puja is done by you. Do you do it by the book or you do it almost as it is in the book or you do it totaly freelly (by your own way)? If you do it by your own way, can you tell me why and how?

All the best to you all,
Dani

Dani
15 September 2009, 12:43 PM
Is there any one ready to share that with us. I would like to know that because i will son start to do puja.

satay
15 September 2009, 01:15 PM
namaskar Dani,
On this forum, there are counless posts on how to do puja. Please do a search.

Thanks,

Star
16 September 2009, 05:58 AM
Namaste Dani :)

While I haven't done puja myself yet (I'm waiting for someone to "teach" me in person rather than learn it from a book; somehow it feels more "natural", if that makes sense...) here are a couple of good links people in this forum have showed me:

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1484

and

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/sanskrit/puja_2006-04-01_ht-ganesha-home.pdf (I'm really fond of this second one)

I hope that helps. :)

Dani
16 September 2009, 10:40 AM
Namaste,

Thank you to both and i respect yours answer. But i was also thinking to do some how my own way of puja so i would mostly like to know what elements are important in puja and so on.

Eastern Mind
16 September 2009, 12:07 PM
Dani:

This is entirely up to you. A puja can be as simple as waving a flame in front of a picture and saying Aum to a 3 (or 10) hour long recitation of mantrams, offerings, parades, abhishekhams, hand gestures, etc. Whatever feels best for you. As long as your heart is in it, Ganesha will understand. This is a Real being we're dealing with. And a very gentle loving compassionate understanding one at that. So your fears, doubts arte unwarranted.

This is really the same as asking Ganesha, "What do You want?" The links that Star gave you are great places to start.

Aum Ekandantaya Vidmahe Vakratundaya Dhimahi Tanodante Pracodayat.

Dani
16 September 2009, 02:15 PM
Namaste Eastern Mind,

Thank you!!!! In a following days i will take a picture of some objects and will it be posible from you, and any one else, that you will explane me for what and what are some object and for what are they, if you know what i mean?

All the best to you and to all,
Dani

Eastern Mind
16 September 2009, 03:03 PM
Dani: Not a problem. He's called you. Now He'll catch you. lol

I'm curious. What was it that brought you to Him? Reading? Experience? A vision?

Aum Namasivaya

Dani
17 September 2009, 11:55 AM
Namaste,

Firs i would like to answer to Eastern Mind:
Although i was raised Cristian i had never felt like it. So one day i have seen a Book about meditation (when i was 14 or 15) and at that point of my life i have started to explore eastern traditions. I have worked with Kali at that time, but some day i had a feeling that something that i'm doing is not ok and that i will have to somehow descover what that is. So i have stoped with Kali mantras and others, and after a few years of research i somehow couldn't found what to do. But some day i had to go to a hospital and i have stayed there for two weaks and at the end of my days in hospital i have felt that i have to start working with Ganesha (i have known ganesha at that point) as he is the first that has to be invoked or worshiped. So from that day on i live only for ganesha and i try to do as much as i can to know him (through my day to day sadhanas) and i try to do as much as i can to come closer to him (it's like he will call me).

Ok, so that was a short answer to you Eastern Mind and now the second quaestion is about some puja items. I have attached a photo of elements that i have purchase few days back and i would like to ask you if you can tell me what those things are and where are they used. Please can you hellp me?!

http://www.shrani.si/t/3b/EF/Ah6sHdR/pujaitemswithmarkings.jpg (http://www.shrani.si/?3b/EF/Ah6sHdR/pujaitemswithmarkings.jpg)

(and a few pictures that maybe can be in hellp to you:
http://www.shrani.si/t/3R/gu/8LWCSom/dscf1240.jpg (http://www.shrani.si/?3R/gu/8LWCSom/dscf1240.jpg)
http://www.shrani.si/t/1S/X9/SQQHip9/dscf1238.jpg (http://www.shrani.si/?1S/X9/SQQHip9/dscf1238.jpg)

I do have a book Loving Ganesha and i will do puja by that book, but i don't know what those items are and where to use them. There is entire book on internet (Loving Ganesha) but i don't remember where (in case if you will need it).

Dani
17 September 2009, 12:38 PM
Here is the link of the book Loving Ganesha (chapter 12 (http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/lg/lg_ch-12.html))!

Eastern Mind
17 September 2009, 12:58 PM
Dani: I will try my best.

The tall standing lamps are called kutthavillaku in Tamil. You put oil (any vegetable oil will do) in them, and an odd number of wicks (make them from cotton balls the same way you make snakes out of plasticine). The kuthavillaku is the first lamp you light, and the last to put out. Usually people just light one wick, but on special occasions would light all five. Never blow them out. Do a fast swish with your hand. It might take some practice at first.

The Lakshmi sitting lamp can be used for longer periods of time.

The oil aarti lamp is the one with the handle and oval shape on the other end. You use it for oil aarti. The round circular disc with a smaller disc above from a central stem is a camphor lamp. Most drug stores might sell camphor. Its hard to find if you don't have an import store close by. Camphor burns very dirty, so some people use oil in this one as well, with a different style wick, one with a ball and squeezed together at the top.

(lol I wish I was there. This is so hard in words.)

The oval shaped deeper bowl somewhat the shape of a gravy bowl is a vibhuthi holder. You can purchase vibhuthi on line as well.

The bowl with a small cup is your acamaniyam water bowl. Keep it filled with fresh water, and use the spoon to sip water durinf the "Aum Sumakaya Svaha" chanting att ehe beginning.

Some of the rest of the stuff is just various bowls for rice, for kumkum for chandanam, etc. There are also some incense burners.

I think you are safe to experiment with things. We make do with what we can. That's all I can think of for now. Best of luck. the atmartham puja from "Loving Ganesha" takes awhile to perfect, yet it is perfect all the time, as your heart is in it.

Aum Namasivaya

Dani
17 September 2009, 02:16 PM
Namaste Eastern Mind

I don't know how to thank you! I'm most grateful to you. All the best to you and to all those that are close to you!

Have a great day or night,
Dani

Daniellasaur
24 September 2011, 10:11 PM
This is very helpful! I do have one question about timing, though. Does it have to be at an auspicious time like sunrise, sunset, noon, etc? Or can I do it whenever I feel so full of devotion? Sometimes I have a great desire to do puja for Ganesha, and I hesitate because I have heard that one must do it at certain times.
Namaste!

Eastern Mind
25 September 2011, 07:28 AM
This is very helpful! I do have one question about timing, though. Does it have to be at an auspicious time like sunrise, sunset, noon, etc? Or can I do it whenever I feel so full of devotion? Sometimes I have a great desire to do puja for Ganesha, and I hesitate because I have heard that one must do it at certain times.
Namaste!

Vannakkam: Personally, I feel you've heard wrong. For me there is only a good time and a better time. Probably more importantly than an auspicious time is a regular time. (Temples are normally very regular.) Devas who wish to attend your puja will get used to it being at a certain time, and can hover waiting for that lamp to be lit. However, this isn't necessary either. There is nothing wrong with spontaneity. If you feel like singing a bhajan, or going in, or waving a lamp, then that's a GREAT time because it's your intuitive faculties operating.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Daniellasaur
25 September 2011, 08:06 AM
Thank you very much :)

Jainarayan
25 September 2011, 10:47 AM
Namaste Dani & all...

As everyone has said, there are many ways to do a puja. I always considered my puja not to be a puja, but I learned too there are many ways to do it as long as it's done with love and devotion.

Take this for what it's worth, but this is mine. It sounds long, but it really only take 15 mins. or so, if even that long. I got the basis of it from http://www.hindubooks.org/puja/krishna/index.htm but I don't do the rice, bathing, etc. There's a group of these to different deities. http://www.hindubooks.org/puja/index.htm

Most days I prepare a panchamrita of ghee, sugar (or honey) milk, curds, yogurt. It's not necessary, but I do it. I usually also offer water and some fruit.

I light my diyas (3 small ones) on my altar, and an incense stick.

I invoke Lord Ganesha and Lord Shiva to clear the area and the path of obstacles and negativity, and to Maa Saraswati because She brought me to Lord Krishna.

I say the lamp lighting and incense offering prayers.

I say the Gayatri Mantra, the Mahamantra.

While I consider myself to be Vaishnava, and my prayers and worship center around Lord Krishna and His manifestations and consorts (Srimati Radharani, Lord Rama, Lord Vishnu, MahaLakshmi, Sri Suryanarayan), I also pay respects with short prayers to Lord Shiva, Maa Durga, Kalimaa, Sri Skanda, Sri Hanuman.

I offer the light (wave it circular 3 times), ask forgiveness for anything I've done wrong, then consume the panchamrit or other offering(s) as prasad.

I do this once or twice a day, usually early morning and evening. But today, being Sunday, and getting a late start, I did it just before sitting down here. So I think no time is wrong.

Other times, if I am pressed for time, I do a much abbreviated version of lighting the lamp and its prayer, the Gayatri Mantra, the Mahamantra, a recitation of each deity's mantra (e.g. Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya, Om Aim Saraswati Namaha, Om Sri Narasimhaya Namaha, etc.) for respect, wave the light, and ask for forgiveness. That takes about 5 mins.

Sometimes I do both versions, or one of each.

So, this is really all just offering light and some respectful and loving prayers.

Daniellasaur
01 October 2011, 01:04 AM
That was very helpful!
I have one more question about the items used for puja. Must they (like the thali and pacha-patra) be made of metal? And can they be just a cheap thing like a metal bowl and tray, etc.? Since I have little money to spare, I am unable to buy a real puja set..
Also, regarding bells, I do pujas in the morning, and I do not want to wake my other family members up (they are not Hindu), so is it okay if I use just a little bell and dont ring it too loudly? :P

OM GUY
01 October 2011, 02:35 AM
You can also look on you tube under pujas, there are plenty of videos there. :)

Jainarayan
01 October 2011, 09:18 AM
That was very helpful!
I have one more question about the items used for puja. Must they (like the thali and pacha-patra) be made of metal? And can they be just a cheap thing like a metal bowl and tray, etc.? Since I have little money to spare, I am unable to buy a real puja set..

Others may have different opinions, but this is what I think...

I don't see why you couldn't use something of your own choosing, as long it's used only for your puja and altar. Sure, the puja sets you see in a store or on-line are traditional, but consider that it's the devotion, love and respect you have for your deities that counts.

Before I got my little brass set, I used a ceramic tray, a small glass bowl and cup, and a spoon. I kept it on the altar and used it only for worship until I got my puja set which consists of only a panchapatra and pali for panchamrit; a kalash for water; two small brass bowls; and a 7" brass tray. Those replaced the ceramic plate and glass bowl and cups.

Also, regarding bells, I do pujas in the morning, and I do not want to wake my other family members up (they are not Hindu), so is it okay if I use just a little bell and dont ring it too loudly? :P

Yes, a small bell is fine. You don't need a carillon bell. ;)

uttam
22 October 2011, 06:52 AM
In Gita Sri Bhagaban says that he accepts leaf,flower,fruit and water etc easily available articles if offered with vakti from clear mind. prior to this sloka, he says one who offers puja to other god , the offer goes to sri krishna but abidhipurbak. I mean to say for offering puja you need not know any mantra or any bidhi karma. I want to know why puja offered to sri ganesha ? for high profile job,happiness,money, flat for what ? or peace of mind ? do you believe that ganesha being satisfied in your puja will provide all the comfort you want. Gita says do only NISKAM KARMA.