PDA

View Full Version : Sanatana and Buddha Dharma (or other) visual arts

DavidC
14 September 2009, 05:18 AM
Can anyone recommend a good book or web site on two-dimensional visual arts of Sanatana Dharma? I would like to see some that is as good as some Buddhist-- especially Tibetan art.

Actually in books published by ISKON I have seen a lot of nice Vishnu/Krishna-related art, but it would be nice to see some about other deities like Shiva or Sarasvati... or any of the three or others in a realist or thangka style or both at once. I have mainly seen other stuff in the history books but it would be nice to see the main good art from ancient times to current-day... especially by professionals.

I am a lifelong artist and am planning to do some Dharma art. I sculpt too, but there is so much two-dimensional Buddhist art that I would like to see some more Sanatana Dharma illustration. It would also be interesting to see some Jain or Sikh art....

shian
02 October 2009, 03:24 AM
now Hindu is use many realist picture of Devas

In Buddhism Tantric, picture or painting is still use ancient painting
like a ornament of Deitys and painting style, is still like ancient

not like ISCON, their painting is more like greek style, like painting i found in Jehovah witness book. But i also like this style of painting.

for example, Mother Durga
now many peoples is have realist pic in home shrine and temple
(already wear robe etc)

acctualy, in ancient, Mother Durga is not wear robe, all of Devi is only wear jewel with a piece of cloth
and the painting style is not like now

i dont say the different between ancient and modern is have conflict who is better or who is righest. Now i only says from art and historycal view.

Buddha and Bodhisattva in China also transform from India style become like a chinesse people. (see Sakyamuni Buddha and Avalokitesvara or Tara)

and Hindu in Bali Indonesian , also become different in art
you can search in google image with key word : "Garuda Vishnu Kencana"
so, that is Indonesian people think about Vishnu form, very Indonesian he he he....

we Indonesian, is also have our self form of Highest personal God : Krishna !

so...

i say art is wonderful

and

mind is playing with God