Namaste,

What does the term sishya mean?

Thanks
AUM NAMAH SIVAYA
-Juan

amra
18 September 2009, 02:21 PM
you must mean shishya,

This word means someone who is enrolled in a 'university' and is studying for a 'degree'. This degree has to be paid for and is very expensive these days. In the past these 'degrees' were much cheaper but you had to study for much longer. Now they cost as much as 3000 pounds for one year. Many people suffer a lot to make this money in order to enrol in this university, and become shishya's. But the unfortunate thing is these days many 'degrees' being offered are utter and complete nonsense. So when these Shishya's graduate they are sent to work with mad people who like them were shishyas of nonsense subjects. But real degrees do exist and the suffering required to 'purchase' this degree is actually converted into something real and useful, but these degrees are hard to find. I have found that before becoming a 'shishya' you must ponder very seriously as to which degree you wish to do.

anyway I hope you found this information useful

best regards

yajvan
18 September 2009, 03:11 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

What does the term sishya mean? Thanks. AUM NAMAH SIVAYA
-Juan
Let me offer this POV for your consideration.

śiṣya शिष्य is defined as 'to be taught' - hense śiṣya is a student; to be instructed. From a spiritual pursuit where does the student go? To the guru. And what does does the guru bring? The contentment of the Supreme when one experiences samāveśa¹ or absorption.

See this post if there is interest. http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3377 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3377)

praṇām

words
samāveśa समावेश- absorption , enterence into; the simultaneous occurrence

Spiritualseeker
18 September 2009, 04:50 PM
Namaste,

I bow to you Yajvan and Amra. Thank you very much that clears it up for me.

AUM NAMAH SIVAYA
-juan