PDA

View Full Version : Meditation - some benefits

yajvan
18 September 2009, 07:26 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~~

Namasté

In another post I wrote

This is the natural bi-product of ones meditation - throwing off stress. It is the stress in the nervous system that overshadows its normal functioning. These stresses are impressions that are embedded into the 'village of the senses' as my teacher called it ( the nervous system) that overshadows its optimal functioning... Excessive impressions - they do not have to always be negative impressions, but they are impressions none the less that leave a 'dent'.

Proudhindu replies,

The practical benefits of meditation/Yoga are the Main product for most of the people.Yoga benefits the agricultural laborer in improving his flexibility, for the Finance executive it helps to calm nerves so that he can sleep better, for a computer programme it helps to beat the stress etc.
Yoga also helps the Ascetics living a secluded life, to survive on meagre food, face heat and cold and yet continue with their tapasya.
The practical benefits of Yoga helps people in increasing their productivity, leading healthier life's thus allowing them to concentrate on The divine.
The practical health benefits of Yoga may not matter much to the modern day ascetics who had no problems finding food on their table, a shelter, etc.

I agree with Proudhindu's assessment. It is by the natural functioning of the nevous system that one gains these benefits. What do I mean by this? We will take it up in this post.
I also ask for your contributions as you see fit, on how meditation benefits on the individual level, family, social and environment levels. Perhaps in up-coming posts this can be discussed if there is interested parties.

Let me offer the following subject for consideration: Natural functioning of the nervous system
This implies the system is able to work unimpeded. At the optimal level, the system is able to reflect the fullness of Being - of pure consciousness. Yet while that march continues to that level of Awareness every day practical benefits are desired and these Proudhindu has suggested - flexibility, calming of the nerves, healthier individuals; all these things people generally agree are 'good' for us.
Yet what impedes the nervous system to shine in its fullness? Impressions, stresses and strains, etc. that are accumulated within one's nervous system ( this also includes the brain ). Some call these impressions vāsanā-s , latent tendencies, self-limiting or predisposed impressions that limit the full functioning of one's system.

Some ask - do vāsanā-s only come/accumulate from this life? For those that are are okay with past lives, these vāsanā-s build up (or are reduced) over time. Time for some think one life at a time, others think in multiple lives over long spans of time.

I tend to throw them in a bucket called stresses-and-strains to the system. Consider a rope. Twist the rope. As you turn it it gets tighter and tighter. If one twists it say 45º , it will then need -45º to unwind, to relax back to its normal shape. Like that , this is one of the contributions of meditation - it untwists the rope; It allows the nervous system deep rest.

Where there is deep rooted vāsanā-s ( a.k.a. stresses) then deep rooted rest is needed to ferret out these deeper impressions. Over time they bubble up and come out, and at the same time one is gaining this deeper rest, and as Proudhindu suggested, there is calmness that begins to accompany the individual.
This culturing of calmness is a big deal. Oh... because you say so yajvan? Nope, I was taught this, but it aligns to what Kṛṣṇa offers in the Bhāgavad gītā ( chapt 6, 3rd śloka):for the man who has ascended to yoga , calmness (śamaḥ¹) is said to be the means ( kāranā¹ ).
My teacher uses one word 'calmness' to aggregate the meaning of śamaḥ which is tranquillity , calmness , rest , equanimity , quietude or quietism , absence of passion.
There are other things Kṛṣṇa offers in this 3rd śloka that are very useful to this conversation (calmness via actions, man of thought ~muni~, etc.), but for now, let me stay with the notion of calmness ( calmness via actions) and say this balanced approach (śama) is a contributing factor to one's overall well being and this can occur via meditation.

But I do not get this notion of impressions… Can you give some kind of example? Sure. lets do that in the next post.

praṇām

words

śama शम - tranquillity , calmness , rest , equanimity , quietude or quietism , absence of passion , abstraction from eternal objects through intense meditation
sama सम - always the same , constant , unchanged , fair , impartial towards ; same , equal , similar , like , equivalent , like to or identical or homogeneous
kāranā कारण - instrument , means , motive origin , principle

yajvan
19 September 2009, 10:47 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~~

Namasté

But I do not get this notion of impressions… Can you give some kind of example? Sure. lets do that in the next post.

One person I talked to years ago gave me this metaphor for spiritual progress when relating to life's experiences and their impressions/impact on the nervous system, and creating more vāsanā (some like to write vAsanA¹). He said, Impressions are like a knife drawing a line on a rock - a mark is made, and stays with the rock for a very long time (lifetimes) . This is most of society. Life happens and we are in the throws of the 3 guna's.

One begins his/her sādhana and begins to culture pure awareness, this fully rested state within ones nervous system - then it is like a knife drawing a line in the sand - the impression is there, then it is filled in by the sand.
One continues their sādhana and it is like a knife drawing a line in water, we see the line, then the line is gone.
And one continues, pure awareness becomes part of ones daily life, and it is like a knife making a line in the air. The impression is just enough to pick up the intent, and it is no longer there.

Who then with authority talks of these vāsanā -s? Patañjali’s yogadarśana (some like to call the yoga sūtra-s) calls them by a different name saṃskāra - the faculty of memory , mental impression or recollection , impression on the mind of acts done in a former state of existence. This knowledge begins in Chapter 1 called samādhi pāda, the 50th sūtra¹.

It is interesting to note that the commentary¹ on this matter suggests the latent impressions come in to 2 flavors: contaminated and uncontaminated impressions i.e. the ones that arise or spurred from nescience (ignorance) and the ones from (or pregnant with) correct knowledge. He informs us that the impressions of true knowledge destroy those impressions that are nescient.
So where do we find these impressions that destroy the nescient impressions? They're found in samādhi ( note the sama¹ in samādhi ). And where is one place samādhi can be found ? Via meditation. And what is at the root of meditation? Balance, calmness of the mind i.e. Kṛṣṇa's words from the last post - calmness (śamaḥ¹) is said to be the means ( kāranā¹ ).

Lets look at 3 translations of the 50th sūtra¹:
First a view based upon the words : tajjaḥ saṁskāro 'nya saṁskāra pratibandhī

tajjaḥ is tad-ja - 'that born of'
saṁskāro - 'latient impressions' ( as I used the word vāsanā-s previously)
'nya - is anya or 'other'
saṁskāra - 'latient impressions'
pratibandhī - ' prevents or obstructs'1. This special realization of spontaneous self-awareness completely transmutes the entire being and there is total change. All other habits and tendencies are overcome by habitual Self-awareness - Svāmi Venkatesānanda (śiṣya of Svāmi Śivānanda)

2. The latent impression born of such knowledge is opposed to the formation of other latent impressions - Yogāchārya Svāmi Hariharānanda Āraṇa

3. From the psychic signature (saṁskāra) born from (tajjaḥ) [the inner self realization of the Age-old Supreme Truth Bearing Wisdom (ṛtam-bharā prajñā this is inferred from the 48th sūtra )], all further saṁskāric seeds are annulled (pratibandhī) - Śakti Das (a.k.a. sahaj yogi)

praṇām
words and references

vāsanā (वासना) - past impressions and impressions made; the impression of anything remaining in the mind , the present consciousness of past perceptions , knowledge derived from memory; thinking of , longing for , expectation , desire , inclination
FYI Info only "A vṛtti ( vṛtti वृत्ति - rolling down of tears) is a whirlpool or thought-wave in the mind-lake. Every vṛtti or mental modification leaves behind a saṃskāra or impression or latent tendency. This saṃskāra may manifest itself as a conscious state when the occasion arises. Similar vṛtti-s strengthen similar dispositions." from Svāmi Śivānanda
kliṣṭa क्लिष्ट may also be considered a contaminated impression. It means molested , tormented , afflicted , distressed ;wearied , hurt , injured , being in bad condition , worn and is used in the 1st chapter of the the yoga sūtra-s).
The Yoga Philosophy of Patañjali by Saṁkhya Yogāchārya Svāmi Hariharānanda Āraṇa (Founder of the Kāpila Monastary); rendered into English by P.N.Mukerji. My copy is from 1977. Printed in India.

For those that wish to dive deeper into this matter Chapter 1, samādhi pāda of Patañjali’s yogadarśana will serve you well
sama सम- always the same , constant , unchanged , fair , impartial towards ; same , equal , similar , like , equivalent , like to or identical or homogeneous
kliṣṭa क्लिष्ट may also be considered a contaminated impression. It means molested , tormented , afflicted , distressed ;wearied , hurt , injured , being in bad condition , worn and is used in the 1st chapter of the yoga sūtra-s.

bhaktajan
19 September 2009, 02:58 PM
relating to life's experiences and their impressions/impact on the nervous system:

I discovered a pioneer in Energy-medicine who explains the mechanics behind her ability 'read' symtoms of mental illness/affectation(s) as the expression of "impressions/impact on the nervous system.

In regards to mental and spiritual health Carolyn Myss Phd charted out the 7-Cakras as having distinct spheres of influence(s) in the pyschi of a person ---furthermore she combined how each Cakra's influence is related to the 'Architypes' [spheres of work in human culture].

These she has been able to show how the affects of
A] WORK [as per ones own ego-contruct 'Architypes' ] relate to health/vigor.
B] The pseudo-pychosomatic illness, depression, etc; that both festers and destorts the energy of one or more chakras ---where the cakras are recognised as "energy-center; each of 7 seperate aspects of life Issues, ie: Tribal; Sexual; Self-Identity; Will-Power; Expression; Honor; Self-Worth.

She summises that an illness [similar to festering "AMA" in the intestinal tract as per ayurvedic science] is the "Investing" ones own subtile energy that originates with the depletion of Cakra centered energies. This is coupled with the type of work ---and thus Caroline Myss would read the Connection between ones 'work and the related cakra ---to narrow down where the problem stemmed from' and thus the Reason/source of the Illness. The reason is not actually come to be known 'per se'. The energy that is expended to ego-construct an issue in life that has bound up a person ---is seen to originate from a particular cakra . . . then the process of unloading the 'tensions' can be applied directly to the source of depleting energy.

Caroline Myss is from a catholic background with a Phd in Theology. Her audio collections is IMO complete without need of further discource from Myss ie: "Why people don't heal"; "Spiritual Madness"; "Spiritual Power, Spiritual Practice". She is the author of:
"Anatomy of the Spirit"
"Why people don't heal and how they can"
www.soundstrue.com (http://www.soundstrue.com)

sringeri
20 September 2009, 06:08 AM
Dr V S Ramachandran a celebrated neurophysician talks about the interrelation between nervous system and sp.irituality in Phantoms of the brain.I am reminded of it when reading on the article from Ms.Myss