PDA

View Full Version : Are Hindus mostly Vegeratarians? Why?

malav09
23 September 2009, 04:12 AM
Namaste,

Maybe most of them are are vegetarian. For instance like me i was vegetarian for almost for 11 years and after that got married and have to
change due to my husbands family who are non-vegetarian.

Sometime we have to sacrifice for others, who are around us.
But most of the time i try to be vegetarian if possible.

Compared in 80's and 90's there are more vegetarians now in 2000'. I am really happy for that, hoping to be full vegetarian soon.

The reason for more vegetarian in hinduism due to the path we came from, which started with vegatarianism.
Also by consuming more vegetables we will be in better health compare to those who eat non-vegetarian food.

Rgds,
Mala v.

Eastern Mind
23 September 2009, 06:22 AM
malav: Welcome to HDF. There is already quite a bit of discussion here on vegetarianism. So if you browse, you'll see what most people here think. Just a suggestion, as I'm guessing not too many of us here wish to reiterate points already made.

Aum Namasivaya

atanu
26 September 2009, 04:36 PM
I think I may add a bit here. In India, Kashmiri and most Bengali brahmins do eat meat, fish etc. For a bengali to not eat fish is almost unthinkable. And I am a bengali.

Sometime back, there was a request from my family members to procure fish. I was in a small town, where, my friends had said that fresh fish, right out of pond, could be had. So I went to such a pond owner, who just caught a fish and dropped it in a dry tank of about 3 feet depth. I saw the fish jumping and thrashing for five minutes. Soon blood oozed of its mouth and it fell silent.

I stopped taking all non-veg food thereafter. But, I acknowledge that plants also shiver when hurt. Hindu Gurus teach that even the inert stone on which one sits is living.

Om Namah Shivaya

LALKAR
27 September 2009, 10:48 AM
Namaste All

Atanu G, this thinking is made by non-vegs themselves
eatable vegs dont have any life they grow with nature

Like Tree have life but fruits (eatable) do not have any life, you can get seeds only after cutting them and will be able to plant new trees

It is not compulsory to eat non-veg for Bengalis for example Raja Ram Mohun Roy was a Bengali Brahman but he was strict veg. and non-veg Brahmins were not involved in any kind of reform or Dharm Prachar

In Bengal non-veg started with cause and not as a rule

atanu
28 September 2009, 09:57 AM
Namaste All

Atanu G, this thinking is made by non-vegs themselves
eatable vegs dont have any life they grow with nature

Like Tree have life but fruits (eatable) do not have any life, you can get seeds only after cutting them and will be able to plant new trees

Thank you lalkar. You are correct.