PDA

View Full Version : Guidance appreciated.

Star
26 September 2009, 08:32 AM
Namaste :)

I'm having some personal doubts and I wasn't sure what to do so I figured I'd post here...there's usual some good pieces of advice!

Anyway, I'm having some trouble academically as of late and my family is fairly worried about it (as am I, of course, though for some reason not as much as them...I guess it's because I know I'm doing my very beast and they don't know that or are unsure of it? Anyway...).

I've been praying to my dearest Lord Ganesha for guidance and inspiration in this time of need specifically, but my (Catholic) mum's not "buying it" (so to say). This morning dad and her woke up extra early to go on a short "pilmigrage" (kind of) to a national religious site (the Church claims Virgin Mary appeared there before 3 shepherd children, or something like that). she says they prayed for me, and when they came back a few minutes ago she handed me a little Catholic religion-related booklet (about "Saint Catherine, protector of students") and two little Virgin Mary charms.

I don't know what to do with this stuff! I don't want to offend her by disposing of them, and I'd probably feel a bit weird if I did dispose of them - because I think of the Divine as being in everything...even in "Catholic saints" as they might call them...but I wouldn't worship them or anything like that. Would it be wiser to keep what mum gave me, but just not make any use of it?

(I hope that post made any sense! Thanks for any help you might be able to provide me with...)

devotee
26 September 2009, 09:08 AM
Namaste Star,

I think of the Divine as being in everything...even in "Catholic saints" as they might call them

That is perfect Hindu philosophy. :)

...but I wouldn't worship them or anything like that. Would it be wiser to keep what mum gave me, but just not make any use of it?

You may choose whatever form appeals to you but why show disrespect to saints/Virgin Mary or anyone ?

--------------------------------------

If you don't mind my advice for tackling your academic problems ( I have two grown up children & I think I can suggest something) :

a) You should maintain a strict discipline for following your routine for studying. Whether you study or not but sit down for studying at the right time. Similarly, get up from study only at the right time. This will help a lot.
b) Mix more with friends who are good at study & take it seriously than those who are casual in nature. Discuss your problems with anyone who can solve your problems. Ask questions in the classroom. The problem that you are facing may be troubling many others.
c) Concentrate on the process of success & not on success. Success will follow on its own. This will relieve you from unnecessary anxiety & improve your concentration.
d) Eating, sleeping, enjoying fun etc. must be at the right time & in right proportions even during exams. Mind needs it all for its good health.

Best of luck ! :)

OM

yajvan
26 September 2009, 11:48 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté star,

I'm having some personal doubts and I wasn't sure what to do so I figured I'd post here...there's usual some good pieces of advice!

Anyway, I'm having some trouble academically as of late and my family is fairly worried about it (as am I, of course, though for some reason not as much as them...I guess it's because I know I'm doing my very beast and they don't know that or are unsure of it? Anyway...).

I've been praying to my dearest Lord Ganesha for guidance and inspiration in this time of need specifically, but my (Catholic) mum's not "buying it" (so to say). This morning dad and her woke up extra early to go on a short "pilmigrage" (kind of) to a national religious site (the Church claims Virgin Mary appeared there before 3 shepherd children, or something like that). she says they prayed for me, and when they came back a few minutes ago she handed me a little Catholic religion-related booklet (about "Saint Catherine, protector of students") and two little Virgin Mary charms.

I don't know what to do with this stuff! I don't want to offend her by disposing of them, and I'd probably feel a bit weird if I did dispose of them - because I think of the Divine as being in everything...even in "Catholic saints" as they might call them...but I wouldn't worship them or anything like that. Would it be wiser to keep what mum gave me, but just not make any use of it?

You write,

I don't know what to do with this stuff! I don't want to offend her by disposing of them, and I'd probably feel a bit weird if I did dispose of them - because I think of the Divine as being in everything...

IMHO¹ your assessment is correct. When I am invited to a church my mind set is ' Ahhh! you (Lord) live here too - may I say what a beautiful house you have' .

Keep your mother's gift (as I see it ), as it comes from mother ( another form of the Divine) and it comes will good intent. It is your grace of thanking mother for the gift, as her heart too will swell with love for her daughter. A place where both of you see eye-to-eye.

On worship - it is that 360º view that allows you to see Ganeśa even in the saints of other beliefs; there is no place He is not .

praṇām

1. I am not the final authorty on this matter. I am only applying what I have been taught. The Lord puts things in front of us for a reason - growth, insight, learning. Perhaps this is a learning experience. No matter, it is an opportnity to extend one's grace to mother. The sincerety with which you approach (life) determines the results. This is the law of the subtle workings of nature, says Kapali śastri.

Eastern Mind
26 September 2009, 11:54 AM
Namaste Star:

The situation with your family is temporary. One day you will marry, move out, and be very independent. For now, it is what it is. You are not the first nor the last to go through such conflict.

As for the academics, I don't know which academics they are, and the specifics you are having trouble with. My general advice I used to give when I taught was twofold. One was to really truly know and accept your limits. The other was a back to the Greek way method: one on one .. tutorial in other words.

Best wishes for resolution to both 'problem' s. (challenges)

Aum Namasivaya

Star
27 September 2009, 03:16 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind guidance regarding this issue.

(Also, thanks on the academic-related help. :) I don't think it's much of a "I can't make myself study" sort of issue, it's something to do with a new system they're implementing in my university regarding passing/failing years, it's quite a silly thing really (they want me to fail the year because of one subject, and spend the whole of next year taking just that one subject...which strikes me as very annoying on a degree which is already 6 years long...). Anyway, I've been bugging people a lot and seems teachers will meet up later this week to reconsider the whole issue which is good!) :D

Eastern Mind
27 September 2009, 04:22 PM
Vanakkam:

Sounds rather silly to me. Most universities have a course by course pass/fail system. At least here that is the case.. Hopefully their reconsideration of this will be in your favour.

Aum Namasivaya