PDA

View Full Version : Daggers from the lips...

yajvan
26 September 2009, 11:33 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

dagger's uttered from one's lips…

We all have heard or been taught good manners of speech.
One should not wound the vitals of others, says bhīṣma to Yudhiṣṭhira in the śānti parva ( or parvan division or section) of the mahābhārata.

Who has not heard of this, just as good manners? Yet bhīṣma takes it further, he says:
If a person deeply pierces a man of wisdom with wordy shafts (a.k.a. arrows or daggers coming from one's mouth) the wise man should then adopt peace without giving way to wrath. The man who, though sought to be angered rejoices without yielding to anger, thus taking away the provoker all his merits.
The man of righteous soul who, full of joy and freed from malice subdues his blazing wrath which, if indulged, would lead him to speak ill of others (also) and verily become his foe, takes away the merit of others.

This wisdom is quite profund - the consequences are explained by a few muni's…
Svāmī Brahmānanda Sarasvatī , Śaṅkarācārya of Jyotirmath (1941-1953) , informs us of the following:
Don't do nindā (nindā निन्दा speaking ill, blaming, scorning) and if you are spoken ill of, understand him to be well-wishing one's own salvation, that speaking of you, he takes your sins on himself.

His ceṭa, Mahaṛṣi Mahesh Yogī, says the following,
When one speaks ill of others he partakes of the sin's of others for whom he speaks.

And who has the final word on this matter? Kṛṣṇa in the Bhāgavad gītā , Chapt 3, 31st śloka says the following,
Those men who are possessed of faith (śraddha), who do not find fault (anasūyantah) and always follow the teaching of Mine, they too are liberated from action.

So, one says I know this , 'but when in the heat of a argument my anger gets the best of me'. This no doubt is common to most of us. My teacher would say - any house can stand in good weather. That is, it is easy to be balanced and without scorn when there is no outside 'storm' brewing that will get one upset.

So, it is by understanding the implications above that one may adjust their behaviors. What is being assessed here is not just one's manners, but taking on the faults of others. Who wishes to pay another's bills?

The question becomes ' what to do? ' Well what does bhīṣma do? He says, As for myself I never answer when another speaks ill of me. If assailed I always forgive the assault. The righteous are of the opinion that forgiveness, truth and sincerety are foremost amongst all virtues. Truth is the arcanum¹ of the veda-s. What is the arcanum of Truth? Self-restraint. and of that (self-restaint) ? Mokṣa ( liberation, emancipation) This is the teaching of all the śāstra-s.

What does Svāmī Brahmānanda Sarasvatī say? Indifference is a very big astra¹ (weapon). Anybody uttering unpleasantness or being disrespectful in any way then be indifferent to him, that is to say; withdraw one's own thought from his direction.

I often I hear ' I must speak the truth' which sometimes implies it may be caustic, or irritating, but it must be said. Truthful speech is welcomed, yet one must consider the words of Kṛṣṇa , Chapt 17, 16th śloka :
the tapaḥ (austerity) of speech consists of speaking truthfully (satyam) , pleasant (priya - favorible, agreeable) and beneficial (hitam - wholesome , suitable ) and avoiding speech which offends (anudvega- free from anxiety).

This approach takes practice and application. It too have been practicing this for many years, and the practice continues.

praṇām

Offered on Saturday, owed by yama, the Lord of restraints.

words

astra अस्त्र- a weapon in general ; rooted in 'as' a missile weapon , bolt , arrow ; to throw , cast , shoot at ; to drive away
tapa तप - consumed by heat. The notion of purification that happens when something is 'heated up' .Hence tapas तपस् is austerity , special observances that bring purity .
priya प्रिय as a noun is beloved , dear to, liked , favorable or favorite.
hitam हित - is considered 'set in motion' , yet also ( in male/female gender use) means beneficial , advantageous , salutary , wholesome , suitable , agreeing with.
anudvega अनुद्वेग- free from anxiety; In the masculine gender it means freedom from uneasiness
arcanum - a secret and powerful remedy

bhaktajan
26 September 2009, 01:53 PM
arcana - behavior
Yajvan,
Here is an excerpt from MahaBharata that compliments your posting above:

Yudhisthira inquired, “How should one react to people who insult you by their rudeness and arrogance?”

Bhisma replied, “If one does not become angry when insulted by another, then he takes away all the pious merit that person may have accumulated by good deeds. In addition he transfers to the abuser his own sinful reactions. After all what is the value of praise or blame when uttered by a vulgar fool? A person who praises some one in his presence but criticizes him behind his back is no better that a dog.”

Yudhisthira, “How should one debate with an unscrupulous person?”

Bhisma replied, “In a debate the tactics of a truthful person are limited, but a deceitful person can utilize any abominable method. However if the truthful person were to use the same tactics as his opponent, he will find himself at a greater disadvantage, for he is acting contrary to his nature. Therefore a truthful and honest person should always avoid an argument with an unscrupulous person.”

Yudhisthira then inquired, “How should one behave towards a more powerful enemy?”

Bhisma replied, “Even though the swift current of the river can uproot and carry huge trees, the canes survive since they bend with the current. Similarly in order to survive an enemy more powerful, one must yield while staying firmly anchored to the roots.”

Yudhisthira inquired, “What should a weak person do if out of foolishness and pride he provokes a powerful enemy?”

Bhisma replied, “O King, the weaker person must repent and thus appease the stronger enemy.”

Yudhisthira inquired, “What is the origin of all sin?”

Bhisma replied, “Greed, the hankering to posses more than one’s naturally ordained quota is the origin of all sin. The desire to posses that which belongs to another is insatiable and gives rise to anger, lust, loss of judgment, arrogance, miserliness, lack of compassion, enviousness, mistrust and many other evils. Ignorance is made up of the same material as greed, though if analyzed it can be seen that ignorance also comes from greed. As one’s greed increases, his ignorance also becomes more dense.”

Yudhisthira inquired, “What produces the highest merit?”

Bhisma replied, “Self-restraint surpasses all other activities in this regard and is therefore considered to be the highest virtue. Because self-restraint purifies and controls every aspect of one’s life it is more important than giving in charity and the study of the Vedas. By self-restraint alone one can achieve liberation from the material world. Self-restraint comprises sense-control, freedom from anger, non-enviousness, impartiality, truthfulness, steadiness and contentment. However, the essential quality of self-restraint is austerity. Thus no good can be achieved without austerity.”

Yudhisthira then inquired, “O Bhisma, is there any rule that should never be violated under any condition?”

Bhisma replied. “The worship of true brahmans and giving them all kinds of respect must never be given up under any circumstance”

Eastern Mind
26 September 2009, 03:12 PM
010 Pleasant speech Translators Notes 0091 The speech of the enlightened is sweet words
Soaked in love, free from pretence. JN, NV 0092 More pleasing than a gracious gift
Are sweet words with a smiling face. PS 0093 This is virtue: A welcome face, smiling look,
And sweet words from the heart.
NV 0094 Want and sorrow shall never be theirs
Who have a pleasant word for all. PS 0095 Humility and pleasant speech constitute one's ornaments.
Other things do not count. DZ 0096 Virtues will wax and vices wane
If one seeks the good and speaks sweet. * SS 0097 Helpful words yoked with courtesy
Breed justice and strengthen virtue. PS 0098 Sweet words free of meanness yield joy,
Both here and hereafter. PS 0099 How can anyone speak harsh words,
Having seen what kind words do? NV Yes 0100 To use harsh words, when sweet ones are at hand,
Is to prefer raw fruit to ripe.

Eastern Mind
26 September 2009, 03:14 PM
Vanakkam:

The above was from the Tirukkural, various translators.

Aum Namasivaya

atanu
26 September 2009, 03:45 PM
010 Pleasant speech Translators Notes 0091 The speech of the enlightened is sweet words
Soaked in love, free from pretence. JN, NV 0092 More pleasing than a gracious gift
Are sweet words with a smiling face. PS 0093 This is virtue: A welcome face, smiling look,
And sweet words from the heart.
NV 0094 Want and sorrow shall never be theirs
Who have a pleasant word for all. PS 0095 Humility and pleasant speech constitute one's ornaments.
Other things do not count. DZ 0096 Virtues will wax and vices wane
If one seeks the good and speaks sweet. * SS 0097 Helpful words yoked with courtesy
Breed justice and strengthen virtue. PS 0098 Sweet words free of meanness yield joy,
Both here and hereafter. PS 0099 How can anyone speak harsh words,
Having seen what kind words do? NV Yes 0100 To use harsh words, when sweet ones are at hand,
Is to prefer raw fruit to ripe.

Namaste and Thanks EM for a fresh air of Tirukkural.

You know, when the asuras first encountered durgA, oh, they were so sweet. The veener of sweetness however, cannot be kept up unless the mind is sweet, unless the intention is sweet. Conversely, sanatana dharma allows 'danda' also. The intention is the key, IMO.

Om Namah Shivaya

akshara
30 September 2009, 05:50 AM
I have considered the thought this way.

All such manners of speech arise and are judged good and bad, based on consideration to other people.

In a pragmatic approach, make it a personal affair.

Can you love to see a butterfly flying and equally catch it too?

Let someone unleash his fury on you.

You be firm on what You uphold, You hold wisdom, let you illuminate your wisdom with truth, You love it, You become it, and You are the truth.

The entire scriptures teach you everything in patience alone.

Do you want others to see you, applaud you?

Do you want others to judge you on the basis of your linguistic skills, or your word power, or your personality, or inherent traits- if these are what prompt one to arguments?

If the answer is No, then turn to You alone.

For sure, meditation is my relief and knowledge now, and I feel I, myself, have started to speak and clarify my doubts, and that it starts to lead me smoothly.

Keep your righteous mind, you’ll never be conscious of or subject to blazing wrath, let your silence and patience make another spiritually in peace, let the Atman in You bring result.

yajvan
30 September 2009, 03:07 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté akshara,

I You be firm on what You uphold, You hold wisdom, let you illuminate your wisdom with truth, You love it, You become it, and You are the truth.

wise words...reminds me of the following:

satyaṅa pramāditavyaṁ
dharmaṅa pramāditavyaṁ
Kusalaṅa pramāditavyaṁ
Never swerve away from Truth
never swerve away from duty
never neglect your welfare; swerve
not from any act for the protection of yourself
Taittirīya Upaniṣad 1.11.1

praṇām