PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

idk2009
30 September 2009, 07:42 PM
Namaste,

Well I'm not really new to sanatan dharma. I am born
into hindu brahmin family. I've read a lot about hinduism... I am not a practicing
hindu, although I liek to call my self more spiritual than religious. At
this point in my life I feel I am being detached from my roots. I am
going through a very tough time and I feel I have not given importance to
God and spirituality. I really want to be a practicing Hindu and connect to my roots more.
But I really dont know where to start....

I believe only in the supreme brahman, I am not much into praying to
idols (even though I know they are just manifestitations).
Can anyone tell me what is a good start, I want to know about basic principles
fasting, what kind of prayers i should perform, mantras, meditation etc on a daily basis...
also what is a good scripture to start out on.

Thanks!

DavidC
01 October 2009, 02:22 AM
I am surprised to hear a Brahman saying she feels disconnected from her roots.

I am just a Westerner but I think the main Gayatri Mantra may be a prayer used in many/most sects (at least Shaivite and Vaishnavite, Shaktism, Smarta, etc..) I like that one. I guess there are hundreds or thousands of mantras, so besides Om what is appropriate for people varies. I usually say any mantra one, seven, or 108 times... I forgot if seven is correct and there may be something between it and 108, and japa practice goes in certain multiples of 108. The bija mantras for chakras may be helpful, but one does not generally say them much more than once each at a time.

I do not see why anyone would believe rather than know. Parabrahm is either a reasonable idea or not, but each time the universe is emanated there are causes Parabrahm causes--which are just called Brahm--to cause the universe, and Brahm disappears back into Parabrahm at pralaya. The Trimurtis/Tridevis are manifestations of Brahm (which can mean either Brahman or creator Brahma) So, I do not really see what would be wrong with considering if the Trimurtis/Tridevis are reasonable expressions of Brahman.

Types of meditation are not so important as whether meditation's goals are achieved. This should be Shaktipat or Kundalini-bodhana and enlightenment in the chakra where it can be seen, but then one needs practical wisdom. Various Yogas help with these processes much, but much of wisdom only comes from age.

I did not know there was fasting in Sanatana Dharma, but I think fasting is best for medical reasons as in the Natural Hygiene philosophy. If there are spiritual reasons for certain days I would be interested in knowing. However there are so many religions that do that that it would take too much time and I prefer to only medically. Nevertheless Sanatana Dharma fasting would seem most interesting.

I like the Vedas/Upanishads (I have only gotten to the principal ones,) Yoga Sutra, Bhagavad-gita & Anu-gita, Narada Bhakti Sutra, Shiva Sutras, and I am seeking the Shiva Samhita and Tantras. Yoga Vasishtha and Samkhya Karika are also said to be great. The best modern text I have read out of a few is Autobiography of a Yogi. I like the Yogi Sri Krishnamacharya and the methods/books of all of his students: Pattabhi Jois, BKS Iyengar, and another may have been Indra Devi. Swami Sivananda of Rishikesh was another great writer Yogi and one of his disciples made a photo-illustrated Hatha Yoga Pradipika. Theosophy books (starting with Blavatsky) also give a detailed viewpoint of Sanatana and Buddha Dharma in connection with the world's religions--showing common truths and that most developed from Sanatana Dharma.

devotee
01 October 2009, 04:10 AM
Namaste Idk,

Your post is confusing to me. I am unable to understand your position.

I am born
into hindu brahmin family. I've read a lot about hinduism"

What scriptures have you read ?

At this point in my life I feel I am being detached from my roots. I am
going through a very tough time and I feel I have not given importance to
God and spirituality. I really want to be a practicing Hindu and connect to my roots more.

Why ? Are you afraid of God, heaven or hell or is there something else like missing the bus sort of feeling or you are afraid that your children will have an adverse effect if you don't yourself start right now ? This is important to answer otherwise the change will be superficial. The need is to go deeper than just skin-deep.

What is wrong in praying to God in front of an image of God ? Too much dose of western religion, I suppose. What do you think .... where does this Supreme Brahman live ? Is He/She/It something like a King but has no form as the Abrahimic religions proclaim ?

Can anyone tell me what is a good start, I want to know about basic principles fasting, what kind of prayers i should perform, mantras, meditation etc on a daily basis...

I don't think starting blindly is required at all unless you convince yourself why it is necessary in the first place. Why do you think it is all necessary ?

Please don't think that I am acting like a Big Brother & a bully. No, I don't want those answers. I have no business or authority to ask anything like that from you. You must question yourself & try to find the answers to satisfy yourself. This is simply an honest advice but you are free to choose whatever you like & the way you like.

---------------------------------

As for scriptures, David has given a list of very good books. If you have some idea of Hinduism but you have not studied (studying is important & not simply reading), I would suggest you to get a copy of Bhagwad Gita (if you know Sanskrit/Hindi, please get that .... imho, better to avoid ISKCON's translation) & at first just concentrate on Chapter 2 after having the knowledge of the context in Chapter 1. Read it again & again just like you might have tried to understand Newton's Laws of Motion unless you find it all logical & convincing. If you have any doubts, then we can have a discussion on this forum.

OM

Eastern Mind
01 October 2009, 06:37 AM
Namaskaram idk:

Welcome to HDF. Werlcome back to the 'fold' also. I hope you find this a somewhat useful place. I am a westerner but know many Brahmin families. It sounds to me that you are second, more likely third generation immigrant, although this is just speculation. I'd like to share the stories of some families that I know here that may be of similar happenstance as yours. (Canada)

These families came in the early 60s. Back home their parents were ideal Brahmins, either working in temples, or doing of temple Brahmin duty. But through education, the children were able to emigrate to the west. They incorrectly assumed that culture would travel with them. It doesn't. For the first generation, yes. But there is no support here. There were no temples, everyone spoke English, there was insignificant Indian population to even have a joint dinner. You couldn't even find a store that sold turmeric. Kids (like maybe you, or your parents) were overwhelmed by the west. Other kids ate meat, went to movies, drank as teenagers, and did the things western kids did. After awhile when the Hindus grew up and had their own kids there was this sense that "I've lost something." Well, go figure!

This happens to most cultures. Here in Canada where I live the easiest one to see is the Ukrainian culture. They are in 4th or 5th generation now, and I'm guessing the percentage of people of Ukrainian descent that speak Ukraine is between 0 and 0.5%.

One family I know just started coming to the temple more. 25 years ago they would have declared themselves non-religious. Now they come a lot. I've witnessed some degree of reversal, slow transfer back.

My book recommendation would be "How to Become a (Better) Hindu" by Subramuniyaswami. The main reason I recommend this book is because its written in modern American English. Its simple to read, not too philosophical, and not translation of other texts. Its written for westerners (which you are, now, I'm guessing) primarily.

The other suggestions would be to find quiet time when you can just reflect, a time away from the west. But start simply.

I hope all this helps. Good luck in your return quest.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
01 October 2009, 11:26 AM
namaskar,
Welcome to HDF.

Your post confuses me. If you are born in a hindu family, why not ask those questions to your parents or family members?

Also, I am going to be very blunt here. If you are born into a brahmin family, didn't anyone teach you that the statues of God are referred to as 'murthis' ? It is really a shame that you didn't even learn such a basic thing. I am sorry for being harsh but there have been many instances here on HDF where a non-hindu especially a muslim or christian join the forum pretending to be a hindu. If you are one of those, I advise you to not waste everyone's time here.

Thanks,

Well I'm not really new to sanatan dharma. I am born
into hindu brahmin family. I've read a lot about hinduism...

Can anyone tell me what is a good start, I want to know about basic principles
fasting, what kind of prayers i should perform, mantras, meditation etc on a daily basis...

Thanks!

idk2009
01 October 2009, 06:31 PM
Satay,

I am not a christian or a muslim or someone pretending to be a hindu.
I do know about hinduism and if you're still skeptical I know even my gotra
and its Kaushik Vishwamitra. I know that they are called murthy,
and what is a murty? its a statue/idol isnt it?? so what difference does it
make if i say idol/statue or murthy?.

I came to USA when I was 7. My parents are not religious but I my grandparents are.
I used to talk to my grandfather about the religion he gave me great insight on it
but passed away last year. When i say I have read about it..I mean I know about
hinduism the basic tenants..I used to also attends classes at the ramakrishna order
(swami vivekananda).

My problem is i know hinduism is very vast and its not easy to grasp. I do consider
my self Hindu because I do believe in the hindu viewpoint of God, the universe,
karma reincarnation etc it all makes sense to me. I guess I wouldnt say I am confused
I just dont know where to start. I do not want to complicate my self with idols etc
I am more comfortible with monotheistic way of practicing hinduism, i am leaning more
towards on Arya Samaj. And in terms of being Brahmin, I am a vegetarian and i do want
to live my life as a brahmin should..but again it gets so complicated i don't know
what it takes to be a brahmin exactly, what rules one should follow?

David C. thans for the list of scriptures I will look into them.

FYI when i say i feel like im disconnected from my roots, i do not mean that I am
ashamed of being a hindu or I am leaning towards the Abrhamaic religion. I am proud
to be Hindu and I know it is the best way of life for me. I am just saying that
I feel I need to incorporate hinduism in a daily basis in my life that's all.

idk2009
01 October 2009, 06:32 PM
Satay,

I am not a christian or a muslim or someone pretending to be a hindu.
I do know about hinduism and if you're still skeptical I know even my gotra
and its Kaushik Vishwamitra. I know that they are called murthy,
and what is a murty? its a statue/idol isnt it?? so what difference does it
make if i say idol/statue or murthy?.

I came to USA when I was 7. My parents are not religious but I my grandparents are.
I used to talk to my grandfather about the religion he gave me great insight on it
but passed away last year. When i say I have read about it..I mean I know about
hinduism the basic tenants..I used to also attends classes at the ramakrishna order
(swami vivekananda).

My problem is i know hinduism is very vast and its not easy to grasp. I do consider
my self Hindu because I do believe in the hindu viewpoint of God, the universe,
karma reincarnation etc it all makes sense to me. I guess I wouldnt say I am confused
I just dont know where to start. I do not want to complicate my self with idols etc
I am more comfortible with monotheistic way of practicing hinduism, i am leaning more
towards on Arya Samaj. And in terms of being Brahmin, I am a vegetarian and i do want
to live my life as a brahmin should..but again it gets so complicated i don't know
what it takes to be a brahmin exactly, what rules one should follow?

idk2009
01 October 2009, 06:39 PM
Eastern mind thanks a lot for the recommendation. is there a copy of it online or can i purchase it through amazon? Well you see Iam not really a 3rd or 4th generation, I am second generation. My parents arent that religious, they only attend religious functions such as dassera or diwali etc, they do go to mandhir when its needed but they do not pray on a day to day basis, only my grandparents do.

Eastern Mind
01 October 2009, 06:55 PM
Eastern mind thanks a lot for the recommendation. is there a copy of it online or can i purchase it through amazon? Well you see Iam not really a 3rd or 4th generation, I am second generation. My parents arent that religious, they only attend religious functions such as dassera or diwali etc, they do go to mandhir when its needed but they do not pray on a day to day basis, only my grandparents do.

Yes the book is available at Amazon. You can also go to the Himalayan Academy website for that version of things.

My conjectures were partly right about your story, at least. It was just a guess from what you were saying.

Please don't be too hard on Satay. He is the moderator here, and does a wonderful job and he volunteers his time. What he says does happen, and if it wasn't for his due diligence, this place would turn into a bash fest. If it wasn't for him, this place wouldn't exist, and I, for one, am very grateful to him.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
01 October 2009, 10:41 PM
namaskar,

Satay,
FYI when i say i feel like im disconnected from my roots, i do not mean that I am
ashamed of being a hindu or I am leaning towards the Abrhamaic religion. I am proud
to be Hindu and I know it is the best way of life for me. I am just saying that
I feel I need to incorporate hinduism in a daily basis in my life that's all.

My apologies for misjudging your intent. Good luck and Welcome!

DavidC
02 October 2009, 12:04 AM
[...]I mean I know about hinduism the basic tenants..[...]

'tenets'

My problem is i know hinduism is very vast and its not easy to grasp. I do consider my self Hindu because I do believe in the hindu viewpoint of God, the universe, karma reincarnation etc it all makes sense to me. I guess I wouldnt say I am confused I just dont know where to start. I do not want to complicate my self with idols etc I am more comfortible with monotheistic way of practicing hinduism, i am leaning more towards on Arya Samaj.The vastness is why I think focusing on philosophy beyond religion helps. I am not sure what you mean by monotheism: usually it means believing there is only one deity. As for the Greek philosophers they did not think numbers-based ideas were very philosophical, and there is probably also duotheism, tritheism, etc.: pan(en)theism (which has most to do with Brahman,) (kat)henotheism, autotheism are other viewpoints that are reasonable in their own ways.

Idols do not necessarily complicate things. I guess as a philosopher I like a (mostly) blank room to do ganzfeld meditation and keep my mind clear, but when friends have given me idols I accepted them. One need not pray to them or a shrine--some also remind you of historical people and the philosophy they had, and then they can remind you of certain scriptural ideas/phrases. At least they keep one more focused on intellect/inspiration than some popular culture decoration. On the other hand there are millions of Indian deities. As a Westerner I am making and maybe finding idols of the twelve Olympians and a few other cultures' gods, and it is not too much for me. I consider some gods friends. I would not have to pray to the idols: just see them sometimes and know there is someone in the spiritual worlds with similar interests and maybe more ahimsa than some of my relatives there. Then I remember what is important in life. If gods are in dreams (as I have seen) or another loka then one need not think about them too hard until being there. However if one really does not have/want idols it helps to focus on abstract scientific/philosophical ideas. For those pictures of certain ideas (like Om, Sri Yantra, the periodic table--I try to do alchemy) or actual historical thinkers help keep attention on what is important sometimes. Maybe if I cleared the small art areas of my room then scientific/philosophical stuff would also seem distracting: there are advantages to having a mostly blank room that helps one's mind be more clearer like the unmanifest. but if one has more than one room one could do both.

And in terms of being Brahmin, I am a vegetarian and i do want to live my life as a brahmin should..but again it gets so complicated i don't know what it takes to be a brahmin exactly, what rules one should follow? Since you are following ahimsa/etc. it seems you are living life as you should in the main way: maybe there is little else to do besides not be a materialist. Actually I am a bit interested in learning traditions myself. However, I am ecumenical and various religions recommend you do a conversion ceremony or take a name. I guess I am more interested in universal wisdom, but 'Sanatana Dharma' is certainly the best Eastern name for philosophy/religion in general.

David C. thans for the list of scriptures I will look into them. You are welcome. I wonder if the Bhagavad-gita is mainly a Vaishnavite text. I refer to it every so often but also like Shiva about as much as Krishna. I would also like to know which texts are Shaktite and Smarta... if you are in a certain sect maybe someone could clear this up and recommend which texts might be more specific. Some are short enough to be read online: Yoga Sutra, Narada Bhakti Sutra, and maybe Samkhya Karika (I have not seen it in a while.) Yoga and Samkhya are also mentioned in the Gita. It is also online at http://www.sacred-texts.com/ (etc.,) but I am unsure if I have seen a non-ISKON version on the 'net. ISKON's is certainly best illustrated, but some viewpoints and commentary are sectarian. Actually the one at Sacred-Texts surely is an older public domain version. However, it is a bit too long to read online without straining the eyes, and it is a great book to keep by the bed to refer to before or after sleeping for inspiration.

Good luck!

Kundalini-bodhana -- Kundalini-enlightenment -- ascending Kundalini
Shaktipat -- descent of Shakti (descending Kundalini)

atanu
02 October 2009, 08:03 AM
'tenets'

You are welcome. I wonder if the Bhagavad-gita is mainly a Vaishnavite text. -------
Good luck!

Namaste DavidC,

How correct and insightful above statement is. Statements such as 'this is my land' or 'this is my country' etc. etc. are also similar. A soul does not know that the very next moment the ownership may reverse.

Om Namah Shivaya

DavidC
03 October 2009, 05:01 PM
[...]How correct and insightful above statement is. Statements such as 'this is my land' or 'this is my country' etc. etc. are also similar. A soul does not know that the very next moment the ownership may reverse.[...]

I am unsure what you mean; did you consider my sentence rude? I would read a good text whether it is Smarta, Shaktite, Shaivite, or Vaishnavite, but I do not know what idk2009 would do, and people may need to be specific for her. The Bhagavad-gita and Shiva Sutras have many of the same ideas such as Maha-Vishna and Parashiva.

Eastern Mind
03 October 2009, 05:56 PM
Atanu: I'm not sure what you meant, either. And that's unusual for your posts and me.

David: It is my understanding that the Gita is primarily a Vaishnava scripture, yes. (Look who is doing all the talking and dialogue. It's not between Siva, and Parvati, or Ganesha. I doubt if Murugan is even mentioned.) But members of other sects do also read it.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
03 October 2009, 09:47 PM
How correct and insightful above statement is. Statements such as 'this is my land' or 'this is my country' etc. etc. are also similar. A soul does not know that the very next moment the ownership may reverse.

Namaste EM & David,

I think Atanu's post is quite clear. Though it is for Atanu to explain what he really meant but my understanding is this :

"I wonder if the Bhagavad-gita is mainly a Vaishnavite text."

Vaishnavas may claim that Bhagwad Gita is a Vaishnavite text but that is unfortunate & misleading. It contains the Truth & is for all Truth -seekers. Let's not see division but one-ness at least in the wisdom irrespective of where it is available. Why paint wisdom in any color ? It is foolishness to discard teachings of BG by considering that one is Shaivite & the BG is a Vaishnavite scripture.. Similarly, it shall be foolishness for a Vaishnava to discard Shiva Sutras of Kashmir Shavism by considering it only a Shaivite text. In fact, these feelings are nearly absent in Hindus.

"AA No Bhadrah Kratavo yantu Viswataha." ===> Let noble thoughts come to us from every side. (Rig Veda 1.89-i)

Who is Vishnu & who is Shiva ? The wise don't see them differently ===> Ekam Sad Vipra bahudha vadanti ! ( There is only One Truth but the people describe It differently !) ( Rig Veda 1.164.46)

Then who are Vaishnavas & who are the Shaivas ? They all are seeking the same ultimate truth.

Atanu's post is wonderfully insightful. All these feelings come from "I" & "My" while we are deluded. May we see OUR True nature ... the Only Self that We all Are ! That Self is never plural ... it is singular.

OM

Eastern Mind
03 October 2009, 10:12 PM
It is foolishness to discard teachings of BG by considering that one is Shaivite & the BG is a Vaishnavite scripture.

I am not discarding the teachings. Just pointing out that it is primarily a Vaishnava scripture. The Christian Bible is primarily a Christian scripture. Many more universalist leaning Hindus find value in it. (the bible) Some Gurus did their teachings primarily in regional languages like Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Marathi, or now, English. That does not mean we discard their teachings or consider them invalid just because they're in a language we cannot understand. I don't understand how when one says something entirely neutral, another takes it out of context as being a negative comment. The BG is clearly important for you. It's not for me. What is so wrong with that, when there is multitude of scripture that all often lead to the same or similar concepts, save Advaita, versus dvaita?

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
04 October 2009, 01:44 AM
I am not discarding the teachings. Just pointing out that it is primarily a Vaishnava scripture. The Christian Bible is primarily a Christian scripture. Many more universalist leaning Hindus find value in it. (the bible) Some Gurus did their teachings primarily in regional languages like Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Marathi, or now, English. That does not mean we discard their teachings or consider them invalid just because they're in a language we cannot understand. I don't understand how when one says something entirely neutral, another takes it out of context as being a negative comment. The BG is clearly important for you. It's not for me. What is so wrong with that, when there is multitude of scripture that all often lead to the same or similar concepts, save Advaita, versus dvaita?

Dear EM,

You got me wrong. I offered my views just like a friend with no negativity in mind.

Please re-read my post & if it again gives the same picture, I am sorry & please ignore the post.

OM

Eastern Mind
04 October 2009, 06:31 AM
Devotee: Obviously I reacted to the word 'fool' in the word foolishness. It was late at night. I think we agree that there is strength in one path, yet we can offer tremendous respect for the other paths. From your other posts, its rather clear you don't consider me a fool.

Hinduism is very vast. Many scholars think it has more religions in it than the rest of the world's religions combined. I think I agree with that. Certainly in practise. And yet as with the country of India being 30 different cultures, more diverse than Europe, the British labeled this vast group of religions 'Hinduism'. There is no one text that speaks for all, as none of the Koran, Torah, Words of Confucious, etc speak for all the rest.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
04 October 2009, 08:21 AM
Obviously I reacted to the word 'fool' in the word foolishness. It was late at night. I think we agree that there is strength in one path, yet we can offer tremendous respect for the other paths. From your other posts, its rather clear you don't consider me a fool.

The words don't mean sometimes what they appear to mean. Moreover, English is not my native. Due to that, may be, what I think of a word's meaning may not be taken by some in the same manner.

OM

DavidC
04 October 2009, 04:02 PM
Maybe we got a little off-track of helping idk2009. I probably should not have made that statement and rambled about using idols or not. I did not know if idk2009 is slightly interested in anything besides Brahman and might be interested in various texts. I was just trying to say I am a Westerner that is not an expert on texts and that there might be others that are just as good that I do not know. I recall another I have read: Shankara's Crest-jewel of Discrimination. It focuses on Brahman but is from the Advaita view.

I certainly do not discard the Bhagavad-gita: usually it is my favourite text, though in Sanatana Dharma I am a Shaktite-focused Smarta (actually I am ecumenical, but 'Sanatana Dharma' also means 'perennial Philosophy,' which is what I call my viewpoint to Westerners.) One of the reasons I like Shiva as much as Krishna is in ways Nazarites (and hippies) are like them, but I like the gods for who they are. I also should have said there are two previous trimurtis: Nari, Nara, Brahm, and Agni, Surya, Vayu (I forgot the order of each.) I did not mean idk2009 might just want to read about the still modern trimurti but the older ones. Nari, Nara, Brahma are sort of abstract and are said to mean the first feminine, masculine, and child gods. The more modern trimurti can symbolize them but it is best to symbolize them with combinations of it and the tridevi: each pair in the tridevi & trimurti and their child(ren) symbolize the pre-Vedic trimurti.

I was not making any judgement on which is first or which texts might be better--just wondering what is true and what may (not) be important to idk2009.