PDA

View Full Version : mantras

DavidC
01 October 2009, 03:19 PM
For 11 years I have liked various mantras but want to learn more about them and how to do them the right way.

I guess I am most interested in the main Gayatri Mantra (said to be the main one that is sung:)

Oṃ bhūr bhuvaḥ svaḥ
tat Savitur vareṇyaṃ
bhargo devasya dhīmahi
dhiyo yo naḥ pracodayāt.

Once I heard it on a CD someone had and maybe I have heard more than one version on Youtube. However if there is more than one way to sing it, could someone maybe explain whyr?

At first I thought it was a mantra to the mother goddess as Gayatri, but then I found out it is about Savitur, a sun deity, IIRC. I do not mind its gender, though now I am more interested in the idea of the first goddess being associated with the illuminative rather than material. Eleven years ago I saw a very small pamphlet-type book about this mantra at school, but I checked their catalog and they do not list it now. I wonder if anyone knows what it might be or if you could recommend a small introductory book or complete list of versions on the net or CD.

I am also interested in what people like for mantras in Shaktite, Smarta, Shaivite, Vaishnavite, and ancient (pre-)Vedic traditions. I like the shortest Shakti, Shiva, Rukmini, Krishna, Shanti, Patanjali mantras and know them, but I was wondering if some are more significant or might be more interesting to sing. I do not really know how to sing many of the short ones.

yajvan
02 October 2009, 06:40 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

Some additional thoughts on this:
Gayatri components:
gâyanath = what is sung, giving of praise ;
trâyate = preserves, protects, gives deliverance, grants liberation

Another viewpoint suggests that the roots are:
gaya = vital energies +
trâyate = preserves, protects, gives deliverance, grants liberation

If this interests you , please consider this post:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=7690#post7690

praṇām

saidevo
02 October 2009, 08:02 PM
Here is a compilation of the power and potency of the gAyatrI mantra:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7129831/Swami-Explains-Power-of-Gayathri-Manthra

DavidC
03 October 2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the explanations, guys.

I had not realized there was an older version of the main Gayatri Mantra without the 'first' line. In the other post here it says that line changes the metre. I thought you could say Om longer and it would be the same--since it sounds like a shorter line. Of course some people may just prefer the more traditional way. OTOH if 'Om' is used to open & close prayers maybe one could just wait a line after saying the newer line. Some prayers that have been added to I guess I say the old and new ways at different times.

In Sai Baba's teaching I see this mantra is addressed to Surya. Maybe I had known that or maybe I confused Savitar with Surya... but it is good to know it is still to a sun/light deity and says something like 'enlighten our intellect so we may recieve the supreme truth.'

yajvan
04 October 2009, 11:27 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

I had not realized there was an older version of the main Gayatri Mantra without the 'first' line. In the other post here it says that line changes the metre.

gāyatrī as it occurs in the ṛg veda (3.62.10) does not appear with the mahāvyāhṛti of bhūr bhuvaḥ svaḥ; nor does it begin with oṃ.
So, classically and specifically gāyatrī mantra ( also a meter called gāyatrī) is as sarabhanga points out in his post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7693&postcount=2 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7693&postcount=2)

तत् सवितुर्वरेण्यं भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि ।
धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात् ॥
tat saviturvarenyam bhargo devasya dhīmahi |
dhiyo yo nah pracodayāt ||

The additions i.e. bhūr, bhuvaḥ, svaḥ, oṃ, etc. are added via specific injunctions and instructions one may find in various āraṇyaka-s and upaniṣad-s .
I have been taught that any additions used in ones meditation (svādhyāya¹, or ajapa) to this mantra comes from the instuction of the guru.

Much more can be said, yet I think the reference post given is a good overview on this matter.

praṇām

words

svādhyāya स्वाध्याय- reciting or repeating or rehearsing to one's self; repetition or recitation of the vedain a low voice to one's self
ajapa अजप- not muttering ; japa internally; one who does not repeat prayers - what is implied here is 'voicing' them externally.

yajvan
05 October 2009, 02:34 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

OTOH if 'Om' is used to open & close prayers maybe one could just wait a line after saying the newer line. Some prayers that have been added to I guess I say the old and new ways at different times.

From the Taittirīya Upaniṣad , śikṣā vallī, it informs us of the following:
omiti brahama |
omitīdaṁ sarvam |
omityetad anukṛtir ha sma vā apyo śrāvayety āśrāvayanti |

Oṁ ॐ is brahman.
Oṁ ॐ is this all.
Oṁ ॐ is well-known as a word of compliance.
This śloka continues and informs us with oṁ they start singing the sāman chants. With oṁ śoṁ they start reciting the śastra chants. with oṁ the advaryu-priest utters encourging chants. With oṁ the brahman-priset gives approval. With oṁ the fire sacrifice (agnihotram) is permitted to begin. A brāhmiṇ wishing to say ' may I obtain brahman' utters oṁ. He verily obtains brahman.

Thus the use of oṁ. One has to consider, do you continually break up infinity by repeating this again and again? Or like the ritviks ( priests) use this vibration as the sound of compliance, beginning an event giving the approval ~yes~ to continue or begin?

This (IMHO) is what needs to be considered.

praṇām