PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Satyaban
03 October 2009, 02:16 PM
Namaste

My name is Satyaban and my home is Baltimore on east coast of the U.S.A.. I was born and raised here. I am a convert that began my journey some 30 years ago.

Peace
Satyaban

Eastern Mind
03 October 2009, 03:43 PM
Satyaban: So tell us a bit more about yourself. Which lineage do you follow? Do you attend temples near Baltimore lke the Murugan temple or the Siva-Vishnu temple, or the ISKCON temple. How and why did you convert, if I may be so bold as to ask.

Forgive my directness, for I just want to get you started and welcomed here. What interests you the most? How about starting a thread on that?

Aum Namasivaya

Star
04 October 2009, 02:37 PM
Namaste Satyaban :) welcome around. It feels really nice to know there are other converts around (well..."converts" in the generic sense of the word; as I see it, and if that makes any sense, you can't really convert to something you already are, to something that's already within you...God). :)

Satyaban
07 October 2009, 12:37 AM
Star ji

Thank you:)

Eastern Mind:

Thank you very much for your interest, I have been suffering from a severe cold and the best I can do are these courtesy responses.

Peace
Satyaban

dhruva023
08 October 2009, 09:38 AM
I am from baltimore too. :)

sunyata07
08 October 2009, 10:32 AM
Namaste Satyaban,

Welcome to the forum! It is always very interesting to hear about converts (I agree with Star in that I would use the term in the loose sense of the meaning) and their experiences coming into contact with Sanatana Dharma! I look forward to reading your posts on the board.

Oh, and happy birthday by the way. :)

Satyaban
08 October 2009, 08:49 PM
I am from baltimore too. :)

dhruva023

Really? Do you live in Baltimore now?

Peace
Satyaban

Satyaban
08 October 2009, 08:51 PM
Namaste Satyaban,

Welcome to the forum! It is always very interesting to hear about converts (I agree with Star in that I would use the term in the loose sense of the meaning) and their experiences coming into contact with Sanatana Dharma! I look forward to reading your posts on the board.

Oh, and happy birthday by the way. :)

Thank you very much:)

Peace
Satyaban

Satyaban
09 October 2009, 09:08 PM
Namaste

By popular demand I guess I should more thoroughly introduce myself. I hope I don't bore anyone to much.

I am a second generation German-American, I was born into a Christian family my mother being a Southern Baptist and my Father's side being Catholic. I was not pushed in any direction but it was understood I was to go to church some place so I picked the Methodist accross the street where my grandmother went.

To move it along I wasn't in school too many years with a little science I saw the impossibilities of the Bible stories but not seeing the metaphors but I remained some kind of Christian.

During my rebellious years and later I found that altered states of consciousness could be achieved using cannabis in its various forms and LSD. Hence I sought the experiences of the Huxleys, Tim Leery and his partner Dr. Richard Alpert. Dr Alpert made a trip to India where he met a holy man. He told this sage and guru about the LSD and asked if he would take. The guru took a huge amount and it had no affect on him. Needless to say Alpert's trip to India was a life changing event. He became an initiate and was given the name "Ram Das" later to become "Baba Ram Das. Getting more to the point he wrote his first book on spiritual matters titled "Be Here Now" perhaps some of you know about him. Shortly after reading the book I attended a lecture given by Ram Das in Washington D.C.. All of this took place in the early to mid 70s. During this time I also read "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda.

As a result I joined the SRF and followed the lineage of Guru ji, Sri Yukteswar, Lahiri Mahasaya, and Babaji. It was at this time that I found "Hinduism" (I don't like the term but many holy men like the late Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami, Swami Vivekananda, and another devotee of Lord Shiva Swami Muktananda have accepted it) answered so many of my questions about circumstances of birth, confirmation that Shiva resides in me and you and everything. I also find solace and reassurances in the first verse of the Isa Upanishad.

Today I am very much a follower of Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami and his teachings but have read with great fondness the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna. Sri Ramakrishna experienced all of the major faiths and found the "truth and validity in all which is my mantra at the Muslim and Sikh sites that I am a member of.

My spiritual name was given to me by an online friend who lives in Calcutta to whom I will always be grateful.

Well that is my story although for the sake brevity I have left out bumps and twists.

Om shanti shanti Om
Satyaban

Eastern Mind
10 October 2009, 07:53 AM
Vanakkam: Glad you are feeling better, and thanks for the more detailed intro. Hope you enjoy these forums.

Aum Namasivaya

dhruva023
11 October 2009, 12:11 AM
dhruva023

Really? Do you live in Baltimore now?

Peace
Satyaban

yes, I am in Baltimore right now, will be here for long time. :), near UMBC.