PDA

View Full Version : question about Jambudvipa

Bholenath
05 October 2009, 11:40 PM
Born in the west, when I became Hindu I went to live to India I lived there and in Nepal three and a half years until after a problem I returned to the west.

Speaking of the badness of this with my mother she told me that there is a spiritual law that one not born in India can't settle succesfully in an Indian tirtha. She remarked tirtha. Anyone knows anything about it? I tried to Google it; found nothing.

I was actually striving to settle in Kolkata that is a Shakta tirtha. Out of all the social and economic implications of why I could be having tribulations, could there exist any truly dharmic reason? Pertaining my personal case, I think no. I think that I had the freedom to chose to do something to stay in India and Nepal without problems for some more years, but as a matter of fact I myself did the worst choice I could. It's a long story. But why if such law exists I think it doesn't condition me? Because I'm jivanmukta.

Then, if someone knows about some law in some sastra that tells something about this, at least a verse, can refer me to it? I will be more than grateful.

thanks,

ma nastoke.

TatTvamAsi
08 October 2009, 03:22 PM
Because I'm jivanmukta.

hahahhahah.. if you are a jivanmukta, you should KNOW what tirtha is. hahaahhahah.. please..

Eastern Mind
08 October 2009, 04:43 PM
I myself did the worst choice I could.

Because I'm jivanmukta.

These sentences are contradictory. I think it might be beneficial to do some more reading on 'jivanmukta' as well.

Welcome back TTA. It's been awhile. I miss your point of view, believe it or not.

Bholenath, a tirtha is just a name for 'a holy place'.

Aum Namasivaya

Bholenath
10 October 2009, 03:10 PM
Namaste.

Excuse me, it might be that I didn't formulate the question properly.

Of course, I know what a tirtha is; like Varanasi (Saiva) or Puri (Vaisnava). Even in 2002 or so, when I was in Sridham Mayapura I've read a book about howto behave in a tirtha; it was about Sridham Mayapura/Navadvipa. It had a longlist of rules about behaviour in a tirtha, like, for instance, never taking a hot shower/bath in a tirtha.

The point of my question is this rule (told by my mother) that I haven't seen anywhere else: non-aryans can't settle in a dharmic tirtha, and if they do they will be able to stay a while, but not permanently.

So I am still searching for info on this rule, but I don't seem to find it anywhere. It's strange, because the book I read about the Holy Dham didn't told anything about this of non-possibility of settling in it if you aren't originally Indian/aryan.

Reverences.

Eastern Mind
10 October 2009, 07:23 PM
As far as I know, there are no such 'rules' on this. Some people may have their own rules. But these things are all open to interpretation. Opinions vary from extremely traditional to extremely liberal. I have seen white adoptives working in ancient Indian temples as priests, and I'm not talking ISKCON. If you hang out in a certain place long enough, and conform to the ways of the people of that place, you just get accepted over time. So if there is a problem, it is within your own perception.

Aum Namasivaya