PDA

View Full Version : Why come to HDF?

Eastern Mind
07 October 2009, 11:55 AM
I've often wondered why people come here? (and by extension why people leave) I hope others will share their personal story of why. I get the impression lately that some people come with the singular purpose of expressing their own personal view, and from there convince everyone else how right they are.

I discovered HDF by some search on a question I had. Now I honestly cannot remember what it was. I stayed because I figured if I had questions, this would be a place where I might get more than one answer, and could then reflect on the question. There is also the case of just passing time in an entertaining way. I actually find this place quite relaxing.

I also stayed because I thought in some cases I actually might have something to offer. This is especially true in the area of western converts, adoptives, or knowledge seekers. In philosophy, I knew I had nothing or very little to offer, but these are wide forums. I also stayed because the moderator here is somewhat diligent, and fair, in my opinion. I am also a member of two other forums, one on India travel, and one for and by Tamil Brahmins. If there was a forum that was more active than this one, I'd probably jump ship to some degree.

Thoughts?

Aum Namasivaya

satay
07 October 2009, 12:11 PM
namaskar,

I have often wondered the same.

I've often wondered why people come here?
Aum Namasivaya

Onkara
07 October 2009, 12:55 PM
Hello
I am here as the vast content attracted my attention. Having studied Advaita Vedanta for a few years I felt it was time to expand on my understanding of Vedanta philosophy and Hindu Religion, HDF offers that. I would like to be sure of my Sanskrit meanings, and digest the rich ideas shared by others.

You are correct, Eastern Mind, to some extent it is nice to express an opinion and be recognised for the effort in arriving at such opinions, but in my case it is even more rewarding to have my input taken up, challanged and later see my thought take a new path with other people's input. That oportunity, for me is not a local option and so I must try to capture thoughts in a few words here and hope on replies from the good people at this forum.

Thank you, Snip.:)

rkpande
08 October 2009, 02:54 AM
i couldn't agree more. This is the most vibrant of all such forums with some very enlightened persons. i think some of us are a bit more aggressive but, that adds a bit of Indian spice, as long as it doesn't become too personal and nasty.
in a very short time i have personally learnt so much, i am basically a yoga enthusiast. i posted, mostly to clear my doubts basically about adaitva. i am very happy that senior members are so tolerant with elementary questions.
i sure am not going to leave this forums.
namaste to all.

atanu
08 October 2009, 11:47 PM
I've often wondered why people come here? (and by extension why people leave) I hope others will share their personal story of why. I get the impression lately that some people come with the singular purpose of expressing their own personal view, and from there convince everyone else how right they are.

I discovered HDF by some search on a question I had. Now I honestly cannot remember what it was. I stayed because I figured if I had questions, this would be a place where I might get more than one answer, and could then reflect on the question. There is also the case of just passing time in an entertaining way. I actually find this place quite relaxing.

I also stayed because I thought in some cases ---Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM and All,

Could not resist your invititation. Just as I could not when Satay invited me in 2006 March to join the forum. Prior to that, I used to passionately defend Shiva (:) ) in mlecchha forums where, peculiarly, Shiva was being treated as an outcaste. Hehe. As if He needed any defending?

HDF village provides an avenue to share and get enriched. It also provides good company, so essential for spiritual progress. But, sometimes, it eats time away from cool meditation. Very often, I have peered into the village, driven by ego, to inspect how people have responded to my excellent post. On finding gratification, I have gloated. On encountering certain other forms of gratifications, I have bristled with contempt.

But it has all added up to positive experience and learning. It has all been auspicious.

I thank satay for all his efforts. I thank all others for making this village, wherein I abide for about one tenth of my time, vibrant and green. Hari.

Om Namah Shivaya

devotee
09 October 2009, 12:29 AM
Namaste all,

Why am I here ? May be I have some extra time to spare ! I have thought many time to leave this forum as it sometimes disturbs my peace & that reflects in meditation. I did leave a few times but again came back.

There are some people here who are assets for this forum ... & may be I would have left long back if they were not there. Thanks to them ... I have learnt many things here. It has been a rich positive experience ... the dividends are worth the time invested.

It is time to thank all who have left a positive impressions on me ... Atanu, Yajvan ji, Saidevoji in particular but there are many others too .... I also must thank Satay for his sincere efforts to keep this forum clean.

OM

atanu
09 October 2009, 01:03 AM
Namaste all,
It is time to thank all who have left a positive impressions on me ... Atanu, Yajvan ji, Saidevoji in particular but there are many others too .... I also must thank Satay for his sincere efforts to keep this forum clean.
OM

Namaste Devotee and all friends,

HYMN LXXI. Jnanam

1. WHEN-men, Brhaspati, giving names to objects, sent out Vak's first and earliest utterances,
All that was excellent and spotless, treasured within them, was disclosed through their affection.

2 Where, like men cleansing corn-flour in a cribble, the wise in spirit have created language,
Friends see and recognize the marks of friendship: their speech retains the blessed sign imprinted.

3 With sacrifice the trace of Vak they foIlowed, and found her harbouring within the Rsis.
They brought her, dealt her forth in many places: seven singers make her tones resound in concert.

4 One man hath ne'er seen Vak, and yet he seeth: one man hath hearing but hath never heard her.
But to another hath she shown her beauty as a fond well-dressed woman to her husband.

5 One man they call a laggard, dull in friendship: they never urge him on to deeds of valour.
He wanders on in profitless illusion: the Voice he heard yields neither fruit,nor blossom.

6 No part in Vak hath he who hath abandoned his own dear friend who knows the truth of friendship.
Even if he hears her still in vain he listens: naught knows he of the path of righteous action.

7 Unequal in the quickness of their spirit are friends endowed alike with eyes and hearing.
Some look like tanks that reach the mouth or shoulder, others like pools of water fit to bathe in.

8 When friendly Brahmans sacrifice together with mental impulse which the heart hath fashioned,
They leave one far behind through their attainments, and some who count as Brahmans wander elsewhere.

9 Those men who step not back and move not forward, nor Brahmans nor preparers of libations,
Having attained to Vak in sinful fashion spin out their thread in ignorance like spinsters.

10 All friends are joyful in the friend who cometh in triumph, having conquered in assembly.
He is their blame-averter, food-provider prepared is he and fit for deed of vigour.

11 One plies his constant task reciting verses. one sings the holy psalm in Sakvari measures.
One more, the Brahman, tells the lore of being, and one lays down the rules of sacrificing.
---------------------------------

May the friendships kindled here blossom and see us through all tribulations.

Om Namah Shivaya

devotee
09 October 2009, 10:16 AM
Namaste Atanu,

That was a beautiful quote from Rig Veda. I would like to quote what my Guru ji says on company we keep. He says it is an important part of spiritual journey (in my words):

"It is important to understand the importance of the people we interact with as their is always an exchange of energy whenever we interact with people. All those people affect us with their positive or negative spiritual vibrations. There are many who on one time or the other get attracted to spiritual path but there are not many who are able to keep themselves on this path. The world pulls them back to their old ways. They fall. However, those who are in company of spiritually like minded people, they keep receiving positive spiritual energy & that helps them keep moving on their spiritual journey."

OM

Eastern Mind
09 October 2009, 10:24 AM
Namaste Atanu,

That was a beautiful quote from Rig Veda. I would like to quote what my Guru ji says on company we keep. He says it is an important part of spiritual journey (in my words):

"It is important to understand the importance of the people we interact with as their is always an exchange of energy whenever we interact with people. All those people affect us with their positive or negative spiritual vibrations. There are many who on one time or the other get attracted to spiritual path but there are not many who are able to keep themselves on this path. The world pulls them back to their old ways. They fall. However, those who are in company of spiritually like minded people, they keep receiving positive spiritual energy & that helps them keep moving on their spiritual journey."

OM
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
Devotee: Sounds like my Guru. Same message, different voices. I believe there is a chapter in Tirukkural as well.

Aum Namasivaya

saidevo
09 October 2009, 11:11 AM
namaste everyone.

Here is another quote from the Rig Veda about like-minded group discussion:

sam. ghachadhvam. sam. vadadhvam. sam. vo mana-m.si ja-nata-m |
deva- bha-gham. yatha- pu-rve sam.ja-na-na- upa-sate ||
sama-no mantrah. samitih. sama-ni- sama-nam. manah. saha cittames.a-m |
sama-nam. mantramabhi man.traye vah. sama-nena vohavis.a- juhomi ||
sama-ni- va a-ku-tih. sama-na- hr.daya-ni vah. |
sama-namastu vomano yatha- vah. susaha-sati ||
-- Rg Veda 10, 191, 2:4

aurobindo's translation:

2. Join together, speak one word, let your minds arrive at one knowledge even as the ancient gods arriving at one knowledge partake each of his own portion.

3. Common Mantra have all these, a common gathering to union, one mind common to all, they are together in one knowledge; I pronounce for you a common Mantra, I do sacrifice for you with a common offering.

4. One and common be your aspiration, united your hearts, common to you be your mind, — so that close companionship may be yours.

Ralph T.H. Griffith's translation:

2 Assemble, speak together: let your minds be all of one accord, As ancient Gods unanimous sit down to their appointed share.

3 The place is common, common the assembly, common the mind, so be their thought united. A common purpose do I lay before you, and worship with your general oblation.

4 One and the same be your resolve, and be your minds of one accord. United be the thoughts of all that all may happily agree.

Here in HDF, we learn and let learn.

Star
09 October 2009, 04:29 PM
Namaste :)

I think I found this forum when googling for forums about Sanatana Dharma...I wanted to "meet" and be able to talk to and ask questions about it to others who had been (knowingly...I think that, in a way, everyone is "on the way" there) and I had tried a few chatrooms but with 0% success, most people there seemed to be much more interested in lewd conversations. :S

I really love it there, there's so much going on and my knowledge increases every time I log in, every day. What an experience! :D

Khatri
11 October 2009, 06:28 PM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble but I think this forum is full of advaitins. Hinduism is not all about advaita. Any member who doesn't believe in advaita gets ganged up on and either gets shouted out or banned on this forum. All senior members are always patting each others back and stroking administrator's ego. I wish this forum were more open to other dharmic philosophical ideas instead of 'my way or the highway' attitude. The administrators of this forum might as well name the forums Advaitin Forums since no other ideas are tolerated here by the so called senior members.:rolleyes:

chandu_69
11 October 2009, 07:27 PM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble but I think this forum is full of advaitins. Hinduism is not all about advaita. Any member who doesn't believe in advaita gets ganged up on and either gets shouted out or banned on this forum. All senior members are always patting each others back and stroking administrator's ego. I wish this forum were more open to other dharmic philosophical ideas instead of 'my way or the highway' attitude. The administrators of this forum might as well name the forums Advaitin Forums since no other ideas are tolerated here by the so called senior members.:rolleyes:

I have been thinking to tell this quite some time.I endorse every word written by Khatri.Unfortunately the Admin of this forum became a convict of a couple of people's ideologies(no need to put out the names).

Eastern Mind
11 October 2009, 08:17 PM

I think you are free to think whatever you want about these forums. At the same time you are free to browse existing threads and pick anything besides advaita and add your wisdom to it. If what interests you is not there, you are free to start a thread on any topic pertaining to Hinduism at all. I for one would welcome many other topics, but if the only ones getting posted on are the so-called advaitin topics, then what else is there to say? At least the advaitins do keep posting. Technically I guess I would be called an advaitin as well, but most of my posts aren't on that topic, and I post as much as anyone. Lookin gforward to some type of new topic, then?

Aum Namasivaya

DavidC
11 October 2009, 09:47 PM
[...] I think I found this forum when googling for forums about Sanatana Dharma...I wanted to "meet" and be able to talk to and ask questions about it to others who had been (knowingly...I think that, in a way, everyone is "on the way" there) and I had tried a few chatrooms but with 0% success, most people there seemed to be much more interested in lewd conversations. :S[...]

That is also how I found it, but I do not know what you mean by 'others who had been.' BTW I am trying to start Dharma-related rooms on Efnet IRC (currently #yoga, but I want to start #Dharma.)

I am a Western Yogi (and I see the reasonableness in all the six main Sanatana Dharma philosophy schools, Tantra, and the other religions of the East--I just mean I do hatha/ashtanga Yoga and meditation) who sees how all of Western culture & ethnic religion came from India: India is the homeland of what linguists call the Indo-Aryans and most Eurasian language/culture groups came from that. As a Natural Hygienist vegan, as well as a meditator, I feel I have more in common with the majority of Indians rather than the majority of Americans, though some of Europe is not as uncivilized as the USA (as Gandhi implied the West is uncivilized.) So, I am here to find out about the history and culture of people I am somewhat like and learn from those who have learned from the lines of Dharma Masters and compare what I have learned through meditation and texts to what others have learned from those and from teachings.

I am also here to potentially meet people near where I live (currently Central Washington)--I used to have Indian friends because of our ethical beliefs and my parents' open-minded philosophical beliefs.

I realize some Sanatana Dharmis (is this a word?) also believe their polytheistic/henotheistic religion has some advantages over others, and while I may feel more at home with Western polytheism I am also here to respect others' views and hear about their educated theology.

devotee
11 October 2009, 10:04 PM
Namaskar Khatri ji and Chandu ji,

You have burst the bubble which actually doesn't exist. Perhaps I am one of the culprits in your views & so I think I owe a clarification to you :

a) There are not many Advaitins here. Normally, I & Atanu post views related with Advaita. Saidevoji has vast knowledge on everything related with Sanatan Dharma & so it won't be correct to brand him only as an Advaitin. Similarly, Yajvan ji too has knowledge of scriptures par excellence but basically he is a Shaiva from Kashmir Shaivism.

Now that leaves Atanu & myself. Basically I am a Krishna devotee but having deep faith in Advaita. I keep fast on Janmashtami & also during Navaratra. Every day in the morning & in the evening I say prayers to Lord Krishna, Lord Shiva & Ma Durga. My most favourite scripture is Bhagwad Gita. With this background, I don't know whether I should be called a true Advaitin.

Atanu too is a Shiva devotee but has knowledge par excellence on Vedas.

So, your assumption that this forum is full of Advaitin is not really correct.

b) There is never a ganging up. Please let us know if you feel any time. Yes, if there is a distasteful behaviour from anyone or unfair personal attack on anyone, it is quite fair to stop such unfair attack. I shall give you a recent example :

Ganeshprasadji, Atanu & myself were discussing on Advaita. Suddenly Bhaktajan entered the discussion & without any provocation called Atanu an "Atman slayer" ! This led to a long discussion with Bhaktajan & myself & that led to intervention by the moderator. Do you think Bhaktajan was correct in his behaviour just because he was a "non-advaitin" ?

c) You give just one example where discussion not related with Advaita has been going on & I have disrupted the discussion or used provoking language. If you can quote even one example, I shall leave this forum for good ! On the other hand I can give many examples where ISKCON members have used derogatory language against Advaita & Advaitins.

d) ISKCON members try to show that Lord Shiva is a demi-god. With your names & posts I assume that you both are Indians & Hindus. Please tell me do Hindus consider Lord Shiva a demi-god ? Many times, this has been a cause of bitter discussion between the ISKCON members & others. Moreover, this has nothing to do with Advaita in true sense. This debate is basically between the Shaivas & the Vaishnavas. Yes, except myself & some ISKCON members, this forum has a number of Shiva devotees.

Please be fair & friendly. We are not here for any fight but exchange of ideas which will benefit all of us equally.

Regards,

OM

chandu_69
11 October 2009, 11:31 PM
Devotee ji,

I am not referring to you when i endorsed Khatri.In the the latest thread about a philosphical discussion you were honest and mostly to the point.I was referring to a compulsive spammer who talks about "Advaitan scriptures" as if such seperate scriptures exist.

On this issue of ganging up you certainly did play a part, shot down and drove out a knowledgeable person who went by the Id raghu_001.And ofcourse there is more.Remember you were congratulating atanu on shian's thread(http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30928&postcount=23) and later on you did change your opinion.

Eastern Mind felt the compulsion to defend(14 th post)(Gang up, if i use Khatri's words) when he himself opined in a different thread that he found advaita to be Impractical and rejected it.

atanu
12 October 2009, 12:57 AM
Devotee ji,
I am not referring to you when i endorsed Khatri.In the the latest thread about a philosphical discussion you were honest and mostly to the point.I was referring to a compulsive spammer who talks about "Advaitan scriptures" as if such seperate scriptures exist.

Namaste chandu,

It is not surprising that you did not see bhakta as spammer.

But you are always welcome. I sincerely and genuinely appeal that you post your views in appropriate section, desisting from the urge to show other divinities or other paths to be lower than your chosen one. But if posts would only pertain to pointing out faults in advaita, then a Hindu knows that the things come back. Also, if the posts only express seniority and juniority of divinities then also some of us will oppose.

Om Namah Shivaya

Onkara
12 October 2009, 02:39 AM
Namaste
I would consider myself an Advaitin, however I am on this forum to broaden that understanding to other philosophies and bhakti paths.

I would be grateful if other areas could be explained for the beginner. Perhaps someone with patience could start a thread for absolute beginners in their area of expertiese to allow us to ask questions and learn (not debate)? Perhaps the administrators could make this stick at the top for all new people visiting? As for starting a post I must look to others wisdom.

I would be happy to quench the thirst I have to learn if non-advaitins could share their basics. :)

Eastern Mind
12 October 2009, 08:44 AM
Namaste
I would consider myself an Advaitin, however I am on this forum to broaden that understanding to other philosophies and bhakti paths.

I would be grateful if other areas could be explained for the beginner. Perhaps someone with patience could start a thread for absolute beginners in their area of expertiese to allow us to ask questions and learn (not debate)? Perhaps the administrators could make this stick at the top for all new people visiting? As for starting a post I must look to others wisdom.

I would be happy to quench the thirst I have to learn if non-advaitins could share their basics. :)

Some of what you say has already been done. For example, we have a Swaminarayan sect member who posted a lot of material on that. But it seemed he was the only one. Perhaps there is another forum devoted entirely to the Swaminarayan sect. I tried to get stuff going more on temples, pilgrimage, etc., but if no one else posts on these topics, then what is one to do? I'm totally with you.

Aum Namasivaya

Onkara
12 October 2009, 10:15 AM
Some of what you say has already been done. For example, we have a Swaminarayan sect member who posted a lot of material on that. But it seemed he was the only one. Perhaps there is another forum devoted entirely to the Swaminarayan sect. I tried to get stuff going more on temples, pilgrimage, etc., but if no one else posts on these topics, then what is one to do? I'm totally with you.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks for pointing out that this has been done on Swaminarayan. I think it would be wonderful to increase the sense of community on the forum.

That drive will come partly from those who are just cruious and want to ask basic ideas without feeling they are embarking on a battle of wits and intellect. They need to feel comfortable to ask basic questions like "what is pushtimaarg?".

The drive will be well supported by the mature members, if willing, may act more like mentors at the start. The more mature members will be able to lift the boundaries by posting on more challanging topics. They will hopefully benefit from seeing how others are approaching ideas they may have already considered resolved.

I am hoping for the best :)

yajvan
13 October 2009, 08:48 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

Here is another quote from the Rig Veda about like-minded group discussion:

sam. ghachadhvam. sam. vadadhvam. sam. vo mana-m.si ja-nata-m |
deva- bha-gham. yatha- pu-rve sam.ja-na-na- upa-sate ||
sama-no mantrah. samitih. sama-ni- sama-nam. manah. saha cittames.a-m |
sama-nam. mantramabhi man.traye vah. sama-nena vohavis.a- juhomi ||
sama-ni- va a-ku-tih. sama-na- hr.daya-ni vah. |
sama-namastu vomano yatha- vah. susaha-sati ||
-- Rg Veda 10, 191, 2:4

Saidevo's idea of a like-minded group coming together in discussion hits the mark for me. The ṛg ved quote saidevo offers is one of my favorites, so I thought to share one more translation that I find very attractive.

The ṛṣi is śamvanana¹, agni is devatā, the meter (chandas) is triṣṭubh.

Meet together, talk together, let your minds apprehend alike;
In like manner as the ancient gods concurring accepted their portions at the sacrifice.
Common be the prayer of these assembled worshippers, common be the acquirement, common the purpose, associated by the desire.
I repeat for you a common prayer, I offer for you with a common oblation.
Common be your intention, common be the wishes of your hearts, common be your thoughts, So that there may be thorough union among you.

praṇām

words

ṛṣi śamvanana - from the family of añgrias has a beautiful name
śam ( to prepare, arrange) +
vana (plenty, abundance) +
na (a jewel or pearl - this is the 3rd derivation of na).
IMHO ṛṣi śamvanana is the jewel that prepares in abundance. What is he preparing? The mantra-s and śloka-s of the saṁhitā.

easwer
13 October 2009, 11:59 PM
Sharing of knowledge is a great thing.We cannot get the real knowledge by mere learning of books and by going to colleges.we can find the faults in our views only by sharing our knowledge with others.

grames
14 October 2009, 12:16 PM
I come to HDF to interact with people of different faith, expose my ignorance, exhibit my idiotism as well as criticize some, get criticized by many and enjoy doing all the above as fun but seriously.

Namaste!

eriko
26 October 2009, 08:33 AM
I think there are several reasons; one to connect with my religion, ancestors, and my country. Two, to get deeper into Hindu philosophy; to seek the answers to my questions. And third, I plan on writing a fantasy novel set on Hindu laws and stuff. You know when/where people know about Law of Karma and the science of soul. In short, to gather as much I can for my content.

Of course I found this forum through google.

kshama
21 December 2009, 03:03 PM
Namaskar Blessed Members of the Forum,

I found this thread while searching for some info. Well, to be honest, I did discover this forum few months ago. But I have a feeling I might had discovered it abt a year ago. I have a very faint memory, I must confess. So I cannot be specific exactly when did I know abt this forum.

Only till late November I remembered I had an account here. I have this habit of saving interesting links in a folder to review later. Late November, my pc was having some problems so I had to backup and re-install all programmes after formatting. So when I saw this forum's url in my file, then only I remembered I had an account here.

Basically I am here to have discussions, hear views and contribute my thoughts where I can. I find this forum informative and full of knowledgeable people. All that I can say is that, this forum will be my must visit everyday. Namaste.

smaranam
21 December 2009, 07:24 PM
PraNAm to all members (sadasya) of HDF.

Namaste all,

Why am I here ? May be I have some extra time to spare ! I have thought many time to leave this forum as it sometimes disturbs my peace & that reflects in meditation. I did leave a few times but again came back.

There are some people here who are assets for this forum ... & may be I would have left long back if they were not there. Thanks to them ...

OM

Devotee ji, *You* are one of those assets :)
I do understand its quite distracting, and must disturb your meditation, more thoughts enter as soon as one drives the old ones away :)

I pray that you can continue giving us your merciful association whenever you can, without letting it affect your meditative state.

----------

Why am i here ? Primarily to learn, and i have a lot to learn.

It is the mercy of the senior members here, that they are giving away a part of their precious time to HDF.

This is a centre for high quality e-SatSang , or e-Sadhu-Sang. And this seems to be the common denominator of why most of us are here.

Apart from learning, there is another reason. We all like to talk about and glorify the Supreme , or the Ishta DevtA, be it Shiva, RAm/Krshna/Vishnu, Muruggan/KArtikeya , DurgA/LalitA/Tripurasundari/KAli , Ganesh ......
OR even as the Sat-Chit-Ananda Brahman, One without a second.

Bhagvad Gita 10.9

Macchittaa madgatapraanaa bodhayantah parasparam;
Kathayantashcha maam nityam tushyanti cha ramanti cha.

With their minds and lives entirely absorbed in Me, enlightening each other and always speaking of Me, they are satisfied and delighted.

-----------------

As for the qn in the OP, i do express my views too. Not to impose them on others, and i would even withdraw from a conversation for that matter, but when someone has questions on what i had to say, it is very clear that they are interested in 'my' point of view. Its as simple as that. Again, its just a point of view that these jnanendriya (senses, mind, intellect) put forth - hopefully approved by antaryAmi.

I am glad to have found Hindu Dharma Forums, while googling on a subject i was looking into.

There seems to be a just and wise distribution of topic folders, for each path and aspect of Sanatana Dharma.
I am sorry that some people feel their view is suppressed. As far as i can see, many sections are inactive, really. They could become active too.

The ṛṣi is śamvanana¹, agni is devatā, the meter (chandas) is triṣṭubh.

Meet together, talk together, let your minds apprehend alike;
In like manner as the ancient gods concurring accepted their portions at the sacrifice.
Common be the prayer of these assembled worshippers, common be the acquirement, common the purpose, associated by the desire.
I repeat for you a common prayer, I offer for you with a common oblation.
Common be your intention, common be the wishes of your hearts, common be your thoughts, So that there may be thorough union among you.

PraNAm YajvanJi and SaidevoJi. Rig Veda verses seem so rich and wonderful (full of ruchi), the more they are uncovered, the more the beauty of Rig Veda is seen.

Namaste

devotee
21 December 2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks Smaranam for including my name in the prestigious list ! So, if I develop an inflated ego by reading this, I can safely blame you ! :)

On a serious note, we all are here to learn something & to share something. Personally, I find your posts quite valuable. :)

OM

kd gupta
22 December 2009, 09:12 AM
सो जानब सतसंग प्रभाऊ। लोकहुँ बेद न आन उपाऊ।।
बिनु सतसंग बिबेक न होई। राम कृपा बिनु सुलभ न सोई।।
सतसंगत मुद मंगल मूला। सोइ फल सिधि सब साधन फूला।।
सठ सुधरहिं सतसंगति पाई। पारस परस कुधात सुहाई।।
बिधि बस सुजन कुसंगत परहीं। फनि मनि सम निज गुन अनुसरहीं।।
It to be the result of association with holy men; there is no other means either in the world
or in the Vedas. Wisdom dawns not without association with saints and such association
cannot be easily had without the grace of rama. Contact with noble souls is the root
of joy and blessings; it constitutes the very fruit and fulfilment of all endeavours, whereas
all other practices are blossoms as it were. Through contact with the virtuous even the
wicked get reformed, just as a base metal is transmuted by the touch of the philosopher.s
stone. :) On the other hand, if by mischance good men fall into evil company, they maintain
their noble character like the gem on the hood of a serpent.