PDA

View Full Version : Nobel Prize, Praise and Global Recognition

saidevo
09 October 2009, 02:03 AM
While we Indians are justly proud that Ramakrishnan Venkatraman, a national Indian settled in the USA has won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry jointly with two others, as the famous columnist shrI gurumUrti says in this article, the man is taller than the prize:

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=He%92s+taller+than+the+Prize&artid=KGlpY|rJIiA=&SectionID=d16Fdk4iJhE=&MainSectionID=HuSUEmcGnyc=&SectionName=aVlZZy44Xq0bJKAA84nwcg==&SEO=

shrI gurumUrti has pinpointed what marks Venky apart from the attitude and behaviour of the usual Nobel laureates:

The India Abroad News Service quoted him as saying to the BBC Hindi service, that the Nobel Prize “is a great honour”, adding quickly, “I think it is a mistake to define a good work by awards. This is a typical mistake that the public or even the press make.” None of you called me about my work even two days ago… right?”, he asked. “I think people have to do what interests (them) and then pursue it.... That’s the way to do important work. Whether prizes come your way or not, it’s really not so important”.

More shockingly, he indicates in a manner that clearly differentiates him from those for whom the Nobel Prize becomes the very soul of their life, that the Prize is after all not the test of one’s excellence. Speaking about Indian scientists, “There are lots of good scientists in India, but I notice the press is hung up about these Western prizes like the Nobel Prize instead of appreciating the excellent work they (scientists) are doing within the context of India” This statement sets him apart completely. Only an award winner who, out of sheer love of his work, is totally detached from the glory of the award could have made this statement.

His message to the Indian scientists is equally profound. “Don’t look at the Nobel Prize as the recognition of your excellence. Your work is more valuable; more profound” This, he does, by clearly discounting the value of the Nobel Prize to him. Contrast Venky with the award winners who flaunt their awards at their compatriots and build an awesome brand for the Prize and for themselves. See his message to the Indian students. Asked whether Western countries are still the destination for Indian students aspiring higher research, Venky says, “No, no, I don’t feel it is necessary more. There are lots of good labs in India where they can do excellent work.” Comparing the state of affairs in 1971 when he left India, he says, “I have been to India several times since and these days there are some really fantastic places in India like the Indian Institute of Sciences and several others … those are very good places and have very good scientists”. Each statement takes him to a higher altitude. His humility is virile, not servile.

Compare the aptitude and attitude of Venky to the globe trotters the author loudmouths in this article. Although published wayback in 2005, since it was brought to my notice today, I can't help the comparison:

My family and other globalisers
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1067604.cms

Don't miss the two or three punchy comments to the article!

Star
09 October 2009, 04:33 PM
A true wiseman. I was rather pleased when I saw an Indian name on the news! :D