PDA

View Full Version : Easy path of devotion?

Spiritualseeker
12 October 2009, 07:43 AM
Namaste,

SO i am having issues with my practice. Are there any simple forms of dedication such as japa yoga I can turn to?

Eastern Mind
12 October 2009, 08:11 AM
SS: We ALL have issues with our practice. Maybe that's why it is called practice. Practicing for what? Don't worry about it. It is not healthy to put a lot of pressure on yourself. You have lifetimes left to work it all out, and become one with God.

I have observed that this is an issue more for adoptives, and converts, beginners if you will. I'm not sure why. For born Hindus there is more relaxation about it. Not that they are nonchalant, just less intense. I myself quit all practise for about 5 years there about 10 years back. I did nothing. no sadhana, no japa, no meditation, no going to temple, no giving money, no karma yoga ... nothing. It was a nice break. http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif Sadhana, let's not forget, takes will power, and can be hard work if you let it become that way.

For me, the second time around is much more relaxed.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
12 October 2009, 10:28 AM
We ALL have issues with our practice. Maybe that's why it is called practice. Practicing for what? Don't worry about it. It is not healthy to put a lot of pressure on yourself. You have lifetimes left to work it all out, and become one with God.

I have observed that this is an issue more for adoptives, and converts, beginners if you will. I'm not sure why. For born Hindus there is more relaxation about it. Not that they are nonchalant, just less intense. I myself quit all practise for about 5 years there about 10 years back. I did nothing. no sadhana, no japa, no meditation, no going to temple, no giving money, no karma yoga ... nothing. It was a nice break. http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif Sadhana, let's not forget, takes will power, and can be hard work if you let it become that way.

Well said EM ! :)

SS, you need to relax ! Take your time. There are no strict rules in Hinduism. People do the way that suits them. Some people who don't have time, just light up an incense stick & say a few mantras in the morning. Some do the same thing both morning & evening. Even these two types of "devotees" may skip sometime even that much. Then there are people who do elaborate worshipping every day. There are some who focus on meditation more than rituals. Some may fast on EkAdasi i.e. 11th day of the month. Some may not.

You may choose the deity you want, say Lord Shiva. You may do japa of "Om Namah Shivaya" (let's say 10 times of a MAlA which has 108 beads so, it makes it 1080 times in the morning). You may also keep chanting whenever you like. Lord Shiva gets pleased very easily ... much more easily than other deities. That is why He is also known as "Ashutosh". The rules are very relaxed. The devotion is what is supreme here. You may also memorise Rudrashtakam or similar stotra & chant at the time of worship. You may keep fast on MahaShivarAtri & worship Lord Shiva on that special day by going to the temple. It is not necessary that you choose only one deity. Most of the Hindus worship all deities with equal reverence. So, you can celebrate Durga Puja, Deepawali, Krishna Janmashtami, Holi etc.

You should decide what you can do for your spiritual growth without putting yourself under undue strain. You are still studying & you are married too. So, you may not spare as much time as is required for elaborate worshipping or long meditation. That is perfectly ok. Go at your pace.

OM

Spiritualseeker
12 October 2009, 06:05 PM
SS: We ALL have issues with our practice. Maybe that's why it is called practice. Practicing for what? Don't worry about it. It is not healthy to put a lot of pressure on yourself. You have lifetimes left to work it all out, and become one with God.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Thank you EM. I think your very right. I do seem to put a let of pressure on myself to meet impossible odds. I just feel like I have to figure everything out here and now and be liberated. I lack much patients. This is something I need to strive to cultivate.

Well said EM ! :)

SS, you need to relax ! Take your time. There are no strict rules in Hinduism. People do the way that suits them. Some people who don't have time, just light up an incense stick & say a few mantras in the morning. Some do the same thing both morning & evening. Even these two types of "devotees" may skip sometime even that much. Then there are people who do elaborate worshipping every day. There are some who focus on meditation more than rituals. Some may fast on EkAdasi i.e. 11th day of the month. Some may not.

You may choose the deity you want, say Lord Shiva. You may do japa of "Om Namah Shivaya" (let's say 10 times of a MAlA which has 108 beads so, it makes it 1080 times in the morning). You may also keep chanting whenever you like. Lord Shiva gets pleased very easily ... much more easily than other deities. That is why He is also known as "Ashutosh". The rules are very relaxed. The devotion is what is supreme here. You may also memorise Rudrashtakam or similar stotra & chant at the time of worship. You may keep fast on MahaShivarAtri & worship Lord Shiva on that special day by going to the temple. It is not necessary that you choose only one deity. Most of the Hindus worship all deities with equal reverence. So, you can celebrate Durga Puja, Deepawali, Krishna Janmashtami, Holi etc.

You should decide what you can do for your spiritual growth without putting yourself under undue strain. You are still studying & you are married too. So, you may not spare as much time as is required for elaborate worshipping or long meditation. That is perfectly ok. Go at your pace.

OM

Thank you Devotee :). I think I need to invest in getting a 108 stringed mala. Though I probably should continue with my regular yogic meditations as taught by our guru Paramhansa Yogananda. Thank you for your kind concern and love.

-Juan

yajvan
12 October 2009, 07:57 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

why am I knocked down! To learn how to get back up.

shian
12 October 2009, 10:41 PM
For me easy path to Devotion is japa !

and better if you can do in morning 4-6 am in front of altar and in dawn or before sleeping

But, japa in heart every time and every where is very important

Before eat and drink somethings we must pray and give it to God and also every beings (with visualize) as offerings, so we eating prasad everyday and every food is prashad

some people use this way : (for busy people)
Morning , in front of altar is thanks for God for everything and new life, also want for God blessing for this day , and pray for every beings happines.
Before sleeping, is contemplation, is ksayamati or reprentace ( we fell sorry about many sin from body, speech and mind, and want pure light from God make us pure, and we want to not to do sin again, may God give us wisdom ) also want God protect us in sleep , also pray for every beings happines

but for my self i ask my self everyday is must more than that

i am is only useless if i not life in Shiva - Shakti