PDA

View Full Version : Purity issues for visiting a temple

ScottMalaysia
12 October 2009, 11:30 AM
What are the purity requirements for visiting a temple? I know that you are supposed to wear clean clothes, but what exactly constitutes "clean clothes"? Freshly washed? Only worn once?

I've also read that anything you touch in the morning before you bathe becomes unclean. Is this true?

Are there any sins that make everything you're wearing and what's in your pockets impure? If so, can Ganga water purify these objects?

When I go to the temple (which isn't often), I purify everything with Ganga water - my clothes, my keys, glasses, money, phone etc. I don't want to bring anything impure into the temple and defile it. Is this really necessary or am I just being obsessive?

If you're walking along the street, dressed in normal work clothes and carrying a bag, and you see a temple, should you go in and pray or would it be better to not go in since your clothes may not be clean (and your bag may not be clean either)?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me with this.

LALKAR
12 October 2009, 11:42 AM
Namaste ScottMalasia G,

It is not always compulsory to wash everything with Gangajal to purify it

Just make your heart pure, cleanliness is necessary you can bath everyday but it is not compulsory to bath everytime

Chek the purity of your goods- your money is your earned and not stolen, and you are not going to steal anything- thats purity of money, but if somebody steal something from you, than you can take necessary action this is purity, so does other goods

Eastern Mind
13 October 2009, 09:11 AM
What are the purity requirements for visiting a temple? I know that you are supposed to wear clean clothes, but what exactly constitutes "clean clothes"? Freshly washed? Only worn once?

I've also read that anything you touch in the morning before you bathe becomes unclean. Is this true?

Are there any sins that make everything you're wearing and what's in your pockets impure? If so, can Ganga water purify these objects?

When I go to the temple (which isn't often), I purify everything with Ganga water - my clothes, my keys, glasses, money, phone etc. I don't want to bring anything impure into the temple and defile it. Is this really necessary or am I just being obsessive?

If you're walking along the street, dressed in normal work clothes and carrying a bag, and you see a temple, should you go in and pray or would it be better to not go in since your clothes may not be clean (and your bag may not be clean either)?

I think you have to rely on your own sense of whether or not you feel pure. The same applies to your shrine room. More people drop by temples on their way to work than on their way home. In some of the temples where steps are climbed, or a yatra is undertaken, (Tirupati, Palani, Batu Caves, Penang Hill) devotees are sweated up by the time they reach the shrines.

Some will wear leather (wallets especially). Others would never. So it depends. Personally, I'm somewhere closer to the traditional side. I do make a point of always showering and donning veshti (yes, even in -30 C weather) before going. I will wear a veshti twice or thrice, as washing wears them out, and they are very hard to find here.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
02 December 2009, 10:11 PM
Namaste all:

This is just a question for others. I realised that kirtan drums, and several other Indian drums used in temples have leather skins for the ends. How is this an accepted exception to ahimsa, and the traditional idea of not wearing leather? Does anyone know of any scripture that allows for an exception tfor making divine music?

Thanks in advance.

Aum Namasivaya

kshama
02 December 2009, 10:46 PM

Vanakkam ScottMalaysia Ji,

I am a bit puzzled in your meticulous efforts in purifying things when you go to temple.

It is advisable to go to temples with a pure heart, sincere intention and right bhava. If you give attention more to these traits, you will indeed gain the benefits of going to a temple.

I have a scenario to tell. Let's say a devotee bathes in Ganges, so he thinks he is clean. Fine.

Then He wears clean clothes, that he will discard soon after the prayers ends. His choice, fine too.

But then, he has thoughts about a movie star on the way, maybe perhaps see something awful on the way, or maybe see something that might entice his senses. So what is the use of all these cleansing rituals he did prior to this. Futile right?

One can wash clothes with water and soap, one can immerse oneself in Ganges, one can purify things with Ganga jal, but how to cleanse the mind and soul????

Have one-pointed bhakti to God. It is hard, but I believe, due time, all will be fine.

ScottMalaysia
03 December 2009, 01:35 AM
Namaste all:

This is just a question for others. I realised that kirtan drums, and several other Indian drums used in temples have leather skins for the ends. How is this an accepted exception to ahimsa, and the traditional idea of not wearing leather? Does anyone know of any scripture that allows for an exception tfor making divine music?

Thanks in advance.

Aum Namasivaya

I've heard that the skins on drums come from cows that died naturally. I'm not sure if this is true or not, though.