PDA

View Full Version : Moral dilemmas ... hill temple

Eastern Mind
14 October 2009, 08:37 AM
You're on a slow going relaxed pilgrimage somewhere. In the distance, atop a hill, is the outline of a temple. It appears beautiful, so you tell the driver to find roads leading in that direction. Eventually you find the trailhead, and a sign indicating the way up. You're excited about this spontaneous mini yatra, but its a long way up. There will be big darshan rewards at the top.

Three arduous hours of climbing later you arrive at the top. After regaining your heartbeat, you come to realise that this temple does animal sacrifice (you see heads of cocks, and goats) in a regular way. Being a follower of ahimsa, and against these practises, you have your doubts. On the other hand, you just walked up a hill performing japa and bhajan, and in a way, you're already inside. What do you do next?

Enjoy.

Aum Namasivaya

hthakar
14 October 2009, 10:43 AM
According to Sanatan Dharma, animal sacrifice is a low form of worship. It is meant to please either the lower gods, the dead ancestors or aghori vidya.

So I will see the spandana (vibrations) that I feel from that temple. Mostly it will be negative due to me being a follower of bhakti yog as indicated by japa and bhajan.

Thus the temple will have no spiritual significance for a seeker of Moksha. The sattvikta imbibed through the jap on the way to the mountain will be many times greater than the raja - tama atmosphere in the "temple".

Thus I will see the temple for its architecture. Pray to the "Sthan Devta" (deity of the premises) and quickly go on my way.