PDA

View Full Version : Bonzai!

Abominable Snowman
23 October 2009, 09:15 PM
Hello,

I don't know quite what to say, regretably I'm poor at introductions but here it goes. I am Hindu, specifically I'm Shakta and I am a devotee of Kali. I was born in Munich, Germany. I am really into music, I play the upright bass, mandolin and sitar. I am big into art and I am a sculpter, my style has Futurist and unpop influences. If you have any questions, please ask, I am excited to be here and talk to other Hindus. :)

Onkara
24 October 2009, 05:51 AM
Namasté Abominable Snowman
Welcome to the forum. I will be interested to read about Shakta and your devotion to Kali.

Spiritualseeker
24 October 2009, 07:57 AM
namaste,

welcome I hope you enjoy it here. There are many different hindus here that would love to hear your views and share their own. Your picture is quite interesting freaks me out a bit lol, but I am sure that Snowman just wants love and compassion.

OM

sunyata07
24 October 2009, 09:06 AM
Namaste and welcome!

I always find that there aren't enough Shaktas here on HDF to have discussions with so it's great to have you here, Abominable Snowman. Hope you enjoy your stay. :)

Abominable Snowman
24 October 2009, 01:01 PM
Thank you all for the welcomes!

Namasté Abominable Snowman
Welcome to the forum. I will be interested to read about Shakta and your devotion to Kali.

Ask any questions you like. :)

I agree, just like with the cowbell there never seems to be enough Shaktas.

Eastern Mind
24 October 2009, 03:12 PM
Namaste, Vanakkam, hello:

Welcome to these forums. I hope you can add information from the Shakta point of view.

I'll try to get you started.

Are there any Shakta, or other temples you attend in your area of the US, wherever that may be?

What attracted you to Shaktism over the other sects or the non-sectarian point of view?

I find it interesting that you identify with the Mother aspect. But then why Kali, not Thurga?

Aum Namasivaya

Abominable Snowman
24 October 2009, 03:38 PM
Are there any Shakta, or other temples you attend in your area of the US, wherever that may be?

Where I live currently live, no, the closest temple is around 30 minutes or so away and it's Hare Khrishna. I largely practice alone.

What attracted you to Shaktism over the other sects or the non-sectarian point of view?

When I first started out in the Sanatana Dharma, I was Shaivite however I realized that my aversion to the Mother aspect was due to sub-conscious sexist views and to break this I started reading about Shaktism and found that it fit me more so than Shaivism and I began following the Shakta Dharma and it is me. It fits me lke a glove.

I find it interesting that you identify with the Mother aspect. But then why Kali, not Thurga?

To me Kali called to me, always have, she embodies the most powerful and frightening aspects of the Goddess and when I chant Om Kali Ma, I get the most powerful feeling I have ever got. I feel that she is what my idea of the Goddess is personified and identify with her more so than any other aspect.

Eastern Mind
24 October 2009, 04:46 PM
Namaste;

Thanks for your response. To clarify, I'm interested in Shakta philosophy only to broaden my understanding of Hindus in general. Personally, I am totally thrilled to be a Saiva Bhaktar.

In my view of Siva (not necessarily other's point of view) Shakti is contained within Siva as effectual principle as Siva is causal. This can be seen in Nataraja's earring, in the Yoni, in Aardhinarisvara, in Siva/Sakti. In other words the two are inseperable, and in reality God is genderless.

So now I am wondering how Kali fits in this? Do you see her as separate, or as an aspect of the greater whole, or as a version of Godhead?

I also wonder why you used the term frightening as an adjective for God. As it seems somewhat contradictory to my understanding, perhaps, you could explain further. Thanks in advance.

The only Shakta experience I really had was the attendance a long time ago at a Bengali cultural Association function. We do have a Rajarajeshwari murthi at our temple (South Indian) though. Depending on who you ask, She is separate, standing alone, or an extension of Siva. Regardless, many here value her importance as at Her murthi installation, a large crowd apparently gathered, although I was not amongst them.

Aum Namasivaya

Star
24 October 2009, 06:11 PM
Namaste, Abominable Snowman! *giggles at the name* :D

Abominable Snowman
24 October 2009, 08:53 PM
So now I am wondering how Kali fits in this? Do you see her as separate, or as an aspect of the greater whole, or as a version of Godhead?

Pardon my ignorance brother but that is a bit over my head so if my answer seems simplistic, my apologies. I see Kali as a personification of the Greater Goddess who is ultimately Genderless and formless. She is a version of the Goddess that I have chosen as my view of Goddess personified. While I say Goddess, again I see the divine all to be genderless. I wish I was more versed to give a better answer.

I also wonder why you used the term frightening as an adjective for God. As it seems somewhat contradictory to my understanding, perhaps, you could explain further. Thanks in advance.

I say frightening because she is but she is also beautiful, she is loving as she is vengeful, she is all, dig?

Eastern Mind
25 October 2009, 07:58 AM
Pardon my ignorance brother but that is a bit over my head so if my answer seems simplistic, my apologies. I see Kali as a personification of the Greater Goddess who is ultimately Genderless and formless. She is a version of the Goddess that I have chosen as my view of Goddess personified. While I say Goddess, again I see the divine all to be genderless. I wish I was more versed to give a better answer.

I understand this viewpoint now. Thank you. Often simplicity works best. Please don't apologise for not going into massive scriptural detail. http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

I say frightening because she is but she is also beautiful, she is loving as she is vengeful, she is all, dig?

From my point of view, God is never vengeful. Yes, terrifying things do happen. But only in emotional or immature states do we even have emotion. Tragic events are still the work of God, though. It is all in the Dance.

Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
25 October 2009, 10:18 AM
I also wonder why you used the term frightening as an adjective for God.

Namaste EM,

I think Abominable Snowman could be referring to this human idea of what it is that frightens us. From a base and rather one-dimensional perspective, yes, Mother Kali can be quite terrifying to look at. On beholding her dark form for the first time with the bloody sword and severed head, who wouldn't quail at such an intense display of divine ferocity? This is the form that devotees perceive God: as an angry mother who sets out to protect her children. It is also the fiercest form of Mother Goddess, so yes, her image can be described as being "frightening", but as I say, this from a Shakta view is a very base understanding of Kali.

To the newcomer then (especially to Westerners), Kali must be a rather intimidating aspect of Mother Goddess, with an anger that cannot seem to be placated. Of all other deities, Kali is the least understood or accepted in the West. Even in travel and cultural books they merely label her as a "goddess of vengeance and destruction", much as they will simply label Lord Shiva as the "god of death and destruction". It is little wonder then why so many Christian evangelists will ask why on earth anyone would worship such a demonic force of death! But then of course, to the Shakta, Kali's capacity for wrath equals that of her infinite compassion for her children, so they can see this goddess as being simultaneously terrifying (in her role as the cosmic destroyer of the forces of evil) and a loving mother (as her name "Bhadra-Kali" - Gentle Kali - suggests) and are comfortable with this perception of her. Just as Bhairava is a fierce manifestation of Lord Shiva, so too is Kali is a fierce manifestation of Devi.

But yes, ultimately, God is beyond such human concepts of male and female, frightening and beautiful, good and evil that we are conditioned to make sense of the world we live in. In the end there is only Brahman, and nothing beyond That.

Abominable Snowman
25 October 2009, 11:52 AM
From my point of view, God is never vengeful. Yes, terrifying things do happen. But only in emotional or immature states do we even have emotion. Tragic events are still the work of God, though. It is all in the Dance.

Agreed, what I was saying is that the Goddess is all.

Abominable Snowman
25 October 2009, 11:53 AM
Namaste EM,

I think Abominable Snowman could be referring to this human idea of what it is that frightens us. From a base and rather one-dimensional perspective, yes, Mother Kali can be quite terrifying to look at. On beholding her dark form for the first time with the bloody sword and severed head, who wouldn't quail at such an intense display of divine ferocity? This is the form that devotees perceive God: as an angry mother who sets out to protect her children. It is also the fiercest form of Mother Goddess, so yes, her image can be described as being "frightening", but as I say, this from a Shakta view is a very base understanding of Kali.

To the newcomer then (especially to Westerners), Kali must be a rather intimidating aspect of Mother Goddess, with an anger that cannot seem to be placated. Of all other deities, Kali is the least understood or accepted in the West. Even in travel and cultural books they merely label her as a "goddess of vengeance and destruction", much as they will simply label Lord Shiva as the "god of death and destruction". It is little wonder then why so many Christian evangelists will ask why on earth anyone would worship such a demonic force of death! But then of course, to the Shakta, Kali's capacity for wrath equals that of her infinite compassion for her children, so they can see this goddess as being simultaneously terrifying (in her role as the cosmic destroyer of the forces of evil) and a loving mother (as her name "Bhadra-Kali" - Gentle Kali - suggests) and are comfortable with this perception of her. Just as Bhairava is a fierce manifestation of Lord Shiva, so too is Kali is a fierce manifestation of Devi.

But yes, ultimately, God is beyond such human concepts of male and female, frightening and beautiful, good and evil that we are conditioned to make sense of the world we live in. In the end there is only Brahman, and nothing beyond That.

I agree with everything you said, very well put. :)