PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of the Mantras

goodlife
25 October 2009, 07:05 AM
Hii everyone

somebody can help translate these mantras and what these mean or signify.

"Om Krang Kreeng Kroung sah Bhomay Namah"

"Om Drang Dreeng Draung sah Shukray Namah"

I'm guessing that these are tantric mantras for planets. Also wanted to know why are they different than the usual mantras.

thanks

love, peace and goodlife to all.

devotee
25 October 2009, 08:11 AM
Namaste Goodlife,

somebody can help translate these mantras and what these mean or signify.

Let me try for you.

"Om Krang Kreeng Kroung sah Bhomay Namah"

OM = OM (its explanation is too vast. OM is whatever is)

Krang, kreeng & kroung = Beej mantras ( they don't have any special meaning (as far as I know) but have special powers to invoke the deity)

Sah = He

Bhomay Namah = I bow to Bhom (Mangal (Hindi), Mars(English), a graha or planet).

"Om Drang Dreeng Draung sah Shukray Namah"

As above, Drang, Dreeng & Draung are Beej Mantras.
Shukray namah = I bow to Shukra (Shukra is a graha or planet, Venus (English))

OM

goodlife
25 October 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks Devotee

Umm i kind of have an idea what the mantras in whole mean. I was more looking to to understand the Krang Kreeng and Drang Dreeng. What exactly do they mean? how are they beneficial? which branch of Sanatan Dharm do they have origin in? Is it Sanskrit?

thanks

love, peace and a good life to you.

devotee
25 October 2009, 10:14 AM
This is not Sanskrit. As far as I know, these words have no meaning. These are called "beej mantras" which produce special vibrations when pronounced correctly & help in connecting to the deity being worshipped.

OM

yajvan
25 October 2009, 06:34 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

If I may let me extend the conversation just a bit more from where devotee left off with regard to this "Om Krang Kreeng Kroung sah Bhomay Namah"

Mars is maṅgal मण्गल् or maṅgala मङ्गल. When we think of Mars we think of fire and the color red. Another name for Mars is bhauma. This bhauma is also a red-flowering punar-navā.

Bhauma also means (primarily) relating or dedicated to the earth , produced or coming from the earth. One mantra to Mars calls out bhūmi-putra or son (putra) of the earth (bhūmi) - hence connected back to bhauma. Mars has much to do with the earth and we can leave that for another time.

Venus or śukra शुक्र has been mentioned. If you care to look a bit deeper into this name please consider this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4107 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4107)

With regard to the bīja (seed) sounds that accompany the mantra i.e. kṛṁ कृं ( some prefer it written kreem) and the like, each seed sound is owned/influenced/stimulated by that bīja (seed) sound that is associated to a grāhaka. That is, each sound has a influence, an intent.

As you would suspect this 'k' sound stimulates Mars. What are Mars seed sounds?

क ka - it is a influence of fire hence maṅgala - perhaps saying aṅgāra is better - aṅgāra is charcoal. We think of heat & flame with charcoal; another name of Mars. Also aṅgiras which is a noun of agni and also a family of ṛṣi-s. We can see the connection to aṅgāra and aṅgiras - both deal with luminosity.
ख kha - (my favorite) as it is associated with ākāśa. This HDF post is all about this ākāśa
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4704 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4704)
This akāśa is expressed by khaṁ खं bīja vibration (from ख kha) and this khaṁ is said to be brahman¹.
ga ग - is rooted in gam; ga is associated with or a noun of gaṇeśa. If you look for gaṇeśa mantra-s, you will find gam prevalent. Hence this tells us by this seed bīja Mars and gaṇeśa have an association.
We will leave this for another time, yet this gam is 'going, moving' . We can see the association of Mars (energy) and gaṇeśa's removal of obstructions - both in going, moving, energy.
gha घ - is related to ga, and therefore remover of impediments. Some think it is due to Mars (aṅgāra), they , the obstuctions are burnt up. Some call this the stambha bīja. Stambha¹ स्तम्भ means stoppage suppression , hence to suppress or remove obstacles , and the connection to gaṇeśa.
ङ ṅa - is another name for bhairava. for more on this etymology see this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27257&postcount=75 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27257&postcount=75)So we can see the richness of these bīja (seed) sounds for each planet or grāhaka¹. With this knowledge the wise can ~build~ mantra-s with the proper influence. This influence can be on the body-mind, also influence a particular rāśi¹ or bhāva¹.

So for each grāha there is a group of bīja (seed) sounds and these are made up of svara (vowels) and consonants (vyañjana) that are found in devanāgarī saṁskṛt. This devanāgarī = deva + nāgarī or the city of devatā or immortals, the deva. And we are taught that śiva is the owner or is reflected in the svara (vowels) and śakti is found in the consonants (vyañjana). From them all creation comes forth.

Such is this great wisdom of sound and form ( śabda and rūpa).

praṇām

words and references

Reference: Bṛhadaraṇyaka Upaniṣad - Khila khaṇḍa -Oṁ Kham Brāhma Brāhmaṇa
stambha स्तम्भis also a post , pillar , column , stem ; There is also the notion of a cosmic sthamba or cosmic column that connects earth and heaven - the material to the spiritual
grāhaka ग्राहक- one who seizes or takes captive ; from grāha ग्रह- seizing , laying hold of , holding i.e. a grāhaka ~seizes~ or influences the circumstances of the native. This is done via the tattva they manage and control
bhāva- -an astrological house or lunar mansion; it is rooted in (√) bhūbecoming , being , existing , occurring , appearance
rāśi - an astrological sign; this word also means a heap , mass , pile , group, like a heap of corn or rice. What's the connection? a sign is a heap of degrees i.e. 30º

goodlife
26 October 2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks yajvan

but im more confused now.

1. What is a beej mantra?

2. What are other mantras than beej mantra?

3. If i' am not mistaken ( correct me), the same mantra we can also be dedicated to saturn by replacing bhomay with shanicharay.

4. Coul you elaborate your statement " As you would suspect this 'k' sound stimulates Mars"

5. Can you translate both the mantras word by word as to what does each word mean in both the mantras?

thanks for your patience.

love, peace and a good life to you.

yajvan
26 October 2009, 12:13 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté goodlife,

Lets see if I can assist without contributing to any additional confusion. This topic is (overall) an advanced subject - so it is not unusual to be a bit confused, as the knowledge is quite profound. My intent then will not be to instruct so much, but to give a flavor, a direction to the conversation without going too deep.

1. What is a beej mantra?
What is a bīja (seed) mantra ? It is a seed sound. Think of a tree and a seed. The seed in a condensed form that carries the complete intelligence for a whole new tree inside of it. We plant the seed and we nourish it and we watch it grow. A seed sound is like that.

For those starting out in ajapa ( non-verbal) mantra meditation - a single seed is suggested. This cultures the mind and grooms the silence within.

2. What are other mantras than beej mantra?
There are all different kinds. Just this one item alone would take us deeper and wider into the subject and perhaps bring more confusion. So let me get 'technical' for just one moment , as this will help clarify point 1, just mentioned above.
I mentioned a bīja (seed) sound in my last post (number 5). I also offered a few sounds ka क ,ख kha , ga ग, etc. These are 'officially' considered bīja akṣara. This akṣara अक्षर means the imperishable and also means syllable. So the bīja (seed) sounds in the post were bīja akṣara .
Now this knowledge allows us to go to the next level to answer your question here - other mantra classification types. There are many.

piṇḍa - this is a single tone , of one phoneme¹ or ~ 1 akṣara in length. This is equiv. to the discussion we just had on bīja akṣara. Some think ' Oh this one syllable, I can do more, this is Just too simple' . Please take note that this word piṇḍa is also defined as 'power, force' , as well as 'tone, sound'. It is also defined as 'sum, total amount'. That is this single sound, this phoneme carries within it the 'force' of the sum total amount'. But of what ? of the sound it represents… and these were offered for the few I gave above in the last post. Just as a seed carries the whole tree inside it, so do these single sounds.

Are there others?
Sure - there are 2 through 10 syllable mantras; there are 11 to 20 syllables mantra-s , there are mantra-s that are called māla mantra-s , or those with more then 20 syllables (phonemes).
Māla means a garland. So the mantra is like a garland ( a string) of sounds brought together for a purpose - and in this case the mantra and the intent contained therein.
A good example may be the māla mantra called gāyatrī mantra. It has 24 syllables. Another māla mantra often called a maha-mantra is that of Śrī Kṛṣṇa & Śrī Rāmaḥ .
Much much more can be said about this as it is a whole science, yet one's experience needs to parallel the knowledge, no? Please consider the following HDF posts:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=623
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3220
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=622

3. If i' am not mistaken ( correct me), the same mantra we can also be dedicated to Saturn by replacing bhomay with shanicharay.
There are specific mantra-s for Saturn. Please do a search on Saturn here on HDF - you will find some reading on this in the Jyotish folder.

4. Could you elaborate your statement " As you would suspect this 'k' sound stimulates Mars"
This is from the observation of the mantra itself that you posted…. note the repetition of the 'K' sound in the mantra you offered; All have links back the 'ka' sound and its association with Mars and a root sound of Mars.

5. Can you translate both the mantras word by word as to what does each word mean in both the mantras?
Perhaps at another time - I think devotee did an admirable job.

IMHO it is very important to consider that ajapa (mental, without voicing) mantra-s are used for the inward stoke of meditation. We plant a seed in the ground ( bīja akṣara) and we water it and keep away the weeds. Like that it is best for growth to keep these mantra-s within for growth and effectiveness. Too much inspection, too much conversation brings the mantra out into the manifest field of existence - it is designed for the inward march of the mind.
That is different then japa mantra's that may be murmured in the open - yet at a decibel level that one does not announce their practice.

hope this helps.

praṇām

words
1. phoneme - the smallest phonetic unit in a language that is capable of conveying a distinction in meaning i.e. the distinctive units of sound by which words, and sentences are represented.