PDA

View Full Version : heroic legends/myths of India?

DavidC
01 November 2009, 11:01 PM
I am curious which books/Puranas besides the Mahabharata and Srimad-Bhagavatam have heroic literature, such as stories about the gods. Sometimes these stories need (a) villain(s.) I know that some gods were called asuras, which means 'not suras,' except they were just suras that were later said to have done something extreme.

One day I might write a myth-based fantasy--or at least do art that could be for one--and am trying to find the most ancient recorded villain maybe to use in the story. I think the Vedas are the most ancient literary works, but Sanatana Dharma is mostly so inclusive of anyone that the asuras may not completely be villains. I have heard that Valmiki chanted the name 'Mara,' which I know is a villain in Buddhism, but I am wondering if there is one in Sanatana Dharma and if (s)he/they is/are asuras or what.

inquiringmind
10 March 2013, 09:00 PM
(Mara in Latvian mythology means — The Mother of Earth and has positive meaning. She is wise and generous.)

Can "mara" mean anything good in Hindi (or does it stand only for death, killing, destruction, and deception)?

Believer
10 March 2013, 11:21 PM
Namaste,

Some questions,
1. who is asking these questions? Intro?
2. what is the purpose of asking?
3. has Mulla HawaaBaaz been consulted about this?

Pranam.