PDA

View Full Version : ...insightful quotes

yajvan
04 November 2009, 07:31 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

I continue to enjoy quotes that are most insightful. Please add yours if you wish. Let me offer one:

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field.

(Albert Einstein, 1954)

yajvan
05 November 2009, 10:39 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
(George Orwell)

Abominable Snowman
05 November 2009, 05:39 PM
"Easy the path of wisdom is, if not blinded by yourself."-Yoda.

"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat."-Anonymous.

yajvan
05 November 2009, 10:37 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

There is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, more dangerous to manage than the creation of a new system. The innovator has the enmity of all who profit by the preservation of the old system and only lukewarm defenders by those who would gain by the new system. (Machiavelli, 1513)

sunyata07
06 November 2009, 02:41 PM
Namaste,

I find pretty much anything in the Tao Te Ching very insightful, but my favourite quote in the text would have to be:

"We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want." - Lao Tzu

"People travel to wonder at the height of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering." - St. Augustine

"Your teacher can open the door, but you must enter by yourself." - Chinese proverb

Abominable Snowman
06 November 2009, 07:21 PM
"The Truth Is Thy Name."

kd gupta
06 November 2009, 09:46 PM
"Easy the path of wisdom is, if not blinded by yourself."-Yoda.

"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat."-Anonymous.

So what if you are rat , utilise the time for positivity ....HDF

Abominable Snowman
06 November 2009, 10:47 PM
So what if you are rat , utilise the time for positivity ....HDF

Nothing wrong with being a rat per se, unless you're in a lab or within 5 feet of a cobra but I like how the quote shifts your perspective, dig.

yajvan
08 November 2009, 01:32 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. (Galileo)

sunyata07
08 November 2009, 03:40 PM
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

kd gupta
08 November 2009, 11:31 PM
Go ahead in science with close watch on spirituality...HDF

yajvan
10 November 2009, 11:34 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science -Charles Darwin

sunyata07
26 November 2009, 01:09 PM
"I searched for God and found only myself. I searched for myself and found only God." - Sufi proverb

yajvan
26 November 2009, 02:13 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté

there has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about - Author Unknown

TatTvamAsi
28 November 2009, 02:13 PM
2 pages of quotes and none of Hindu in nature? tsk tsk....

As Annie Besant said:

"After a study of some forty years and more of the great religions of the world, I find none so perfect , none so scientific, none so philosophical and none so spiritual that the great religion known by the name of Hinduism. Make no mistake, without Hinduism, India has no future. Hinduism is the soil in to which India's roots are stuck and torn out of that she will inevitably wither as a tree torn out from its place. And if Hindus do not maintain Hinduism who shall save it? If India's own children do not cling to her faith who shall guard it. India alone can save India and India and Hinduism are one."

Harjas Kaur
28 November 2009, 11:38 PM
TatTvamAsi Ji has said everything in one quote.

"Make no mistake, without Hinduism, India has no future."

Not only Bharat, but without Snatana Dharma the whole world would wither.

http://www.morelloetech.com/images/bharat-mata-.gif
~Bharath Mata Ki Jai!

SANT
29 November 2009, 04:06 AM
Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Isai aapas mein sab bhai-bhai
Phir kyon qatl-e-aam hai hamdam main bhi sochun to bhi soch

yajvan
22 September 2010, 02:59 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

This quote seems to apply more and more as I continue to study the śāstra-s :

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about - Author Unknown

kd gupta
23 September 2010, 10:46 AM
Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Isai aapas mein sab bhai-bhai
Phir kyon qatl-e-aam hai hamdam main bhi sochun to bhi soch
Hirankashipu chased vishnu , there was no corner left to hide . Vishnu sat in the heart of his enemy , the hirankashipu . Everything was normal , sribhagwatam says .

Believer
23 September 2010, 01:05 PM
As Annie Besant said:

"After a study of some forty years and more of the great religions of the world, I find none so perfect , none so scientific, none so philosophical and none so spiritual that the great religion known by the name of Hinduism. Make no mistake, without Hinduism, India has no future. Hinduism is the soil in to which India's roots are stuck and torn out of that she will inevitably wither as a tree torn out from its place. And if Hindus do not maintain Hinduism who shall save it? If India's own children do not cling to her faith who shall guard it. India alone can save India and India and Hinduism are one."

Satay should make this into a Sticky, that every new member should be required to read and memorize and swear by, before he/she is given membership to this forum.

And, I can hear the footsteps of my detractors close behind me, for making such a hideous suggestion. ;)

With the rate at which Hinduism is weakening, some day Bhisham Pitamah's and Gandhi's dream of Akhand Land will be a reality. Unfortunately, the land from Afganistan to Sri Lanka will be Akhand Pakistan and not Akhand Bharat!

harekrishna
24 September 2010, 12:18 AM
I like Yogi Berra. Here are two of them -

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

If there is a fork in the road, take it.

HariH Om!
Hare Krishna

Eastern Mind
24 September 2010, 07:47 AM
I like Yogi Berra. Here are two of them -

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

If there is a fork in the road, take it.

HariH Om!
Hare Krishna

They're as much funny as insightful. My favorite is (referring to a restaurant) ... "Nobody goes there any more because its always too busy."

I heard a different one (not Yogi) the other day about debate, and sometimes applies to certain days and topics on here. "There were six people in the room but 7 opinions."

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
24 September 2010, 02:12 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Here is one I like that ( to me) is quite profound:

Do something every day that you don't want to do; This is the
golden rule for aquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain. -Mark Twain

praṇām

yajvan
24 September 2010, 06:23 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it.-- Mark Twain

saidevo
18 January 2011, 07:41 PM
Dalai Lama was once asked

"What thing about the Humanity surprises you most ?

Dalai Lalma reply was "MAN".....

"Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices his money to recuperate his health,
and then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present,
and as a result he does not live in the present or the future,
and he lives as if he is never going to die,
and then he dies having never really lived."

How true, and yet this story repeats in many lives!

yajvan
18 January 2011, 08:23 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

There is no Hell, for that means there is a place where God is not, and there are sins which exceed his love... Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (1888-1975)

jasdir
19 January 2011, 02:43 AM
"Ram naam ki loot pai hai, Loot sake to loot
Phir pache pachtie jab prayan jaynge choot" -kabir

English: "Collect the name of god, its free of cost,
Otherwise you will feel as very disappointed, at the time of your last breath."

_/\_Jasdir

Sahasranama
18 March 2011, 04:00 AM
Christianisation was the third force of colonialism as best expressed by Jomo Kenyatta, the late Kenyan leader, who said: “When the white man came he had the bible we had the land. Then he said ‘let us close our eyes and pray’. When we opened our eyes we had the bible he had the land.”

jasdir
18 March 2011, 09:08 AM
"Dukh Mein Simran Sab Kare, Sukh Mein Kare Na Koye
Jo Sukh Mein Simran Kare, Tau Dukh Kahe Ko Hoye"

English: "In anguish everyone prays to Him, in joy does none, if one prays in happiness, than how sorrow can come"

_/\_Jasdir

BryonMorrigan
18 March 2011, 10:15 AM
"It is impossible for me to reconcile myself to the idea of conversion after the style that goes on in India and elsewhere today. It is an error which is perhaps the greatest impediment to the world's progress toward peace. Why should a Christian want to convert a Hindu to Christianity? Why should he not be satisfied if the Hindu is a good or godly man?" -- Mahatma Gandhi

"Of these four great ancient civilizations, working knowledge of the inner forces of enlightenment has survived on a mass scale only in India. Only in India has the inner tradition of the Goddess endured. This is the reason the ...teachings of India are so precious. They offer us a glimpse of what our own ancient wisdom must have been. The Indians have preserved our lost heritage. [...] Today it is up to us to locate and restore the tradition of the living Goddess. We would do well to begin our search in India, where for not one moment in all of human history have the children of the living Goddess forgotten their Divine Mother." -- Linda Johnsen

"The Hindu religion is the only one of the world’s great faiths dedicated to the idea that the Cosmos itself undergoes an immense, indeed an infinite, number of deaths and rebirths. It is the only religion in which the time scales correspond, to those of modern scientific cosmology. Its cycles run from our ordinary day and night to a day and night of Brahma, 8.64 billion years long. Longer than the age of the Earth or the Sun and about half the time since the Big Bang. And there are much longer time scales still." -- Carl Sagan, Famous Astrophysicist

yajvan
19 March 2011, 07:05 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

A man should always be in revolt against himself, for the ego, like a crooked mirror narrows down and distorts. It is the worst of all tyrants, it dominates you absolutely

śrī nisarga-datta maharāj

Ramakrishna
20 March 2011, 06:41 PM
“Many people are afraid of silence. They have to be doing something all the time. Many people also are afraid of being alone. But actually no one ever is alone. He’s always with his great divine Self. Every person has a great, divine Self within him an absolutely perfect, shining, sublime being of light. The voice of this being is a loud silence. The voice of your soul is a loud silence. Many people have said that the voice of God is a deep, profound silence."

-Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

Adhvagat
20 March 2011, 09:11 PM
"All the works of man have their origin in creative fantasy. What right have we then to depreciate imagination?"

Carl Gustav Jung

"Of these four great ancient civilizations, working knowledge of the inner forces of enlightenment has survived on a mass scale only in India. Only in India has the inner tradition of the Goddess endured. This is the reason the ...teachings of India are so precious. They offer us a glimpse of what our own ancient wisdom must have been. The Indians have preserved our lost heritage. [...] Today it is up to us to locate and restore the tradition of the living Goddess. We would do well to begin our search in India, where for not one moment in all of human history have the children of the living Goddess forgotten their Divine Mother." -- Linda Johnsen

"The Hindu religion is the only one of the world’s great faiths dedicated to the idea that the Cosmos itself undergoes an immense, indeed an infinite, number of deaths and rebirths. It is the only religion in which the time scales correspond, to those of modern scientific cosmology. Its cycles run from our ordinary day and night to a day and night of Brahma, 8.64 billion years long. Longer than the age of the Earth or the Sun and about half the time since the Big Bang. And there are much longer time scales still." -- Carl Sagan, Famous Astrophysicist

“Many people are afraid of silence. They have to be doing something all the time. Many people also are afraid of being alone. But actually no one ever is alone. He’s always with his great divine Self. Every person has a great, divine Self within him an absolutely perfect, shining, sublime being of light. The voice of this being is a loud silence. The voice of your soul is a loud silence. Many people have said that the voice of God is a deep, profound silence."

-Sivaya Subramuniyaswami

Very good.

sunyata07
22 March 2011, 03:51 PM
"You may see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say that there are no stars in the heavens during the day? Because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not there is no God." - Sri Ramakrishna

"Don’t be afraid. Human birth is full of suffering and one has to endure everything patiently, taking the name of God. None, not even God in human form, can escape the sufferings of body and mind. I tell you one thing, my child - if you want peace, do not find fault with others. Rather, see your own faults. Learn to make the world your own. No one is a stranger, my child; the whole world is your own." - Sri Sarada Devi

And on the topic of silence, I am reminded of a certain quote I read before:

"Silence is the goal of all answers. If an answer does not silence your mind, it is no answer... only Silence is complete." - Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Om namah Shivaya

jasdir
23 March 2011, 03:28 AM
" Farida.. Dekh parai chopri, na tarsa ji, rukhi sukhi khie ke thanda pani pi "

English: " O farid don't look after the creamy and delisious breads of others, Just eat your dry one, and drink cool water "

_/\_ Jasdir.

Adhvagat
24 March 2011, 06:20 AM
Without consciousness there would, practically speaking, be no world, for the world exists as such only in so far as it is consciously reflected and considered by a psyche. Consciousness is a precondition of being.

- Carl Gustav Jung

:)...

yajvan
10 April 2011, 09:32 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

No thought can tell you who you are. - Michael Jeffreys

jasdir
23 April 2011, 08:06 AM
" Nanak....., "Naam" jahaj hai, joo chare soo utro paar hai "

English: " O Nanak....., The one who board, aeroplane of "WORD" (Divine-Sound) , Sails over the sea of illusion "

_/\_ Jasdir.

bhargavsai
24 April 2011, 02:39 AM
I like 'Strength is life. Weakness is Death.'....

But I would like to direct this quote to all the minds here:

"Anger is just a cowardly extension of sadness"

I really feel like one who is angry doesn't have enough strength in him to fight that anger and win over it. They are just stuffed lions, and a real lion-heart wouldn't ever get angry, instead laughs at the it.

(It must be apparent I am hurt by someone's anger. But I am not angry anymore)
:Cool:

nitinsharma
24 April 2011, 04:03 AM
Insanely short,beyond comprehension,definitely worth your attention:

"Only Death Is Real"-Tom G.Warrior.

sunyata07
03 May 2011, 02:13 PM
"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." - Anne Frank

Om namah Shivaya

yajvan
03 May 2011, 11:00 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

During times of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act -George Orwell

nitinsharma
04 May 2011, 07:20 AM
Orwellian literature............Dear God!

Ramakrishna
29 June 2011, 11:10 PM
"The supreme truths are neither the rigid conclusions of logical reasoning nor the affirmations of creedal statement, but fruits of the soul's inner experience."
-Sri Aurobindo