PDA

View Full Version : Shiva Murti

Abominable Snowman
09 November 2009, 03:15 PM
So I am looking for a murti of Shiva. I am specifically looking for an ethnic, more Indian style looking Shiva which has real or realish hair and so forth. I have an example of what I mean by the below photo of a Dhumavati murti.

http://www.freebsd.nfo.sk/dhumavatii.jpg

I know it's an odd request but I really like this style and it gives the murti life and makes it seem "real," so to speak. If anyone can help me out, or give me info on this style or any information or contacts at all that would be great.

sm78
11 November 2009, 05:48 AM
Why murti's? Shiva is best worshipped on his *linga* ... get a vana linga.

Unlike bauddha tantras, I believe that one should not get too much into visualizations and murti's in hindu tradition - an philosophical understanding of the form and a brief meditation during dhyana part of puja is fine.

Abominable Snowman
11 November 2009, 04:43 PM
Why murti's? Shiva is best worshipped on his *linga* ... get a vana linga.

Well for one I really like murtis and for two I already own 3 lingams of varying sizes and materials and I would like to have a murti in this style.

sm78
11 November 2009, 11:24 PM
When I visit my native place, if I find something with real human hair etc - will get one for you ;) ... no promises though.

Abominable Snowman
12 November 2009, 01:42 AM
When I visit my native place, if I find something with real human hair etc - will get one for you ;) ... no promises though.

Well, I'm not looking for real human hair specifically just that style of sculpture, I realize it may be hard considering I have only seen Goddesses done in this style but thanks mate. :)