PDA

View Full Version : Namaste!

lakshya_0_7
10 November 2009, 01:15 AM
Namaste everyone!
i am a newbie to this community, i am glad i found this forum.
Something abt myself - i was born in India to hindu parents. Spend 12 years of my childhood in an islamic country, our family went back to india for good and I moved to US last year.
My parents arenot very religious. Mom performs hindu rituals, my dad doesnt. I remember watching Ramayana and Mahabharata on TV in my Grandpa's lap, loved the philosophy but never took it seriously. As a student of science i lost faith in religions and i call myself "agnostic", but dont know why am attracted to Sanatan Dharma, i think i believe in the values and principles of SD.
I lived with a hardcore Christian family for 5 months last year when i had just moved to US. Nice people but with stereotypical view of other religions specially hinduism, used to debate with them almost daily abt God and religion. Since then i have started looking for answers about things around me.
I dont think i could call myself a Hindu as i have no idea abt Vedas, never read Gita. i hardly pray. i would like to know more about SD and meet like minded people.
All i am looking for, is a peaceful, purposeful, spiritually enriching life! isn't that what we all want?

Naveen

sanjaya
10 November 2009, 02:06 AM
Hi Lakshya. I myself just joined this forum last week. I'm in a fairly similar position as you. I'm also Indian, but was born in the US. My parents (especially my dad) have always been very religious, but unfortunately I was not when I was younger. Like you, I am just beginning to get to know the religion of our ancestors, and am only now gaining an appreciation for everything my parents taught me about God. Based on what I understand (and I hope others will correct me if I'm wrong), Hindus are not defined by what we believe, but by our culture and our way of life. So having been born to Hindu parents, you can rightly call yourself a Hindu. Anyway, hopefully we can both learn much from the many knowledgable members here.

You said you are a student of science. What science do you study? I myself am an astronomer. One of the things I love about Hinduism is that we seldom have conflicts between religion and science. We have no use for any sort of creationism, and can fully believe what science teaches us about our origins through Big Bang cosmology and biological evolution. We needn't reject the existence of God when we learn more about the world around us. Rather we can learn more about God by understanding this universe that he has made. Many of the physicists of the twentieth century, especially those involved in the formulation of quantum mechanics, saw great wisdom in the Hindu Scriptures. I do not believe Hindus will ever have anything to fear from science.

lakshya_0_7
10 November 2009, 02:30 AM
Namaste Sanjaya-ji
i just read your introduction, yes we are in the same boat :). I have already learnt quite a few things from the learned members of the forum. i love it!
I too believe that Hinduism is scientific and Hindu scriptures have immense knowledge. I just don't get the concept of God and multiple deities. I admit i am ignorant but i am learning everyday. I wish to read and comprehend Vedas and Holy Gita. May be i would have more answers then.
Btw i study Medicine.

Shub ratri,
Naveen

Eastern Mind
10 November 2009, 06:16 AM
Namaste lakshya:

Welcome to these forums. I read your first post, and immediately remembered/thought of sanjaya and thought I would post about that, telling you that you are not alone. Why, just the other day....

And then I scrolled down.

There is a lot written or translated into Modern American English, fortunately. With the busy lives we live over here, it is difficult to study our Sanatana Dharma in any real depth unless we commit. But it is possible. We are also supposedly a patient lot as we have several (a multitude of) chances to get it right.

Aum Namasivaya

Abominable Snowman
10 November 2009, 08:25 AM
Namaste! Welcome, you're in the right spot to learn I tell ya what.

sanjaya
10 November 2009, 01:06 PM
Medicine? That's a very interesting subject. I've always had an interest in medicine, and I've studied biology and human physiology fairly often on the side. Obviously nothing on the level of what you're doing, of course.

I just don't get the concept of God and multiple deities. I admit i am ignorant but i am learning everyday. I wish to read and comprehend Vedas and Holy Gita. May be i would have more answers then.

I've had the same question regarding the devas (i.e. deities). I asked the question in this thread (post #3):

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4793

Saidevo has provided a pretty detailed response.

Onkara
10 November 2009, 02:52 PM
Namaste everyone!
Naveen
Welcome to the Forum!

I am looking forward to your posts! :)

lakshya_0_7
10 November 2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks Sanjaya, Eastern Mind, Abominable Snowman and Snip.
Sanjaya, amazing post indeep by Saidevo. i am going through previous posts daily, this forum itself is a great source of learning for newcomers!!