PDA

View Full Version : Namaste

Shanti
18 November 2009, 07:32 PM
Namaste!

I'm Indian American raised Hindu. Unfortunately, my parents were never able to answer all the questions I had about our faith, so I've been on a journey to learn as much as possible since I was a young teenager. I'm hoping to learn and understand more on this forum. :)

Indra
18 November 2009, 07:52 PM
Welcome

sanjaya
19 November 2009, 03:04 AM
Hello Shanti, good to meet you. I'm also an Indian American raised Hindu. I myself have only started exploring Hinduism for a few months now, so you've got quite a head start on me. I joined HDF a couple weeks ago, and so far I'm finding this forum very friendly and informative.

I'm sure we'll have much to learn from each other!

Eastern Mind
19 November 2009, 06:51 AM
Namaste!

I'm Indian American raised Hindu. Unfortunately, my parents were never able to answer all the questions I had about our faith, so I've been on a journey to learn as much as possible since I was a young teenager. I'm hoping to learn and understand more on this forum. :)

Welcome to HDF. Your parents are like everyone here too. Nobody can answer all the questions about this faith, for it is so vast. Most things have two or 3 or more levels of understanding. Besides, many explanations have either been lost, or kept away from ordinary Hindus. How many generations can we continue vibrantly with "Because that's what my parents told me to do." as an answer. This just doesn't cut it, does it?

I hope you find some answers that add to your existing understanding here. It is a forum of diversity to be sure. Feel free to ask away, if by browsing, you don't find anything that makes sense on your selected topic.

Aum Namasivaya

Onkara
19 November 2009, 07:23 AM
Welcome to the forum Shanti
I have received many good answers here and I wish your path is as fruitful.

Enjoy!

Shanti
19 November 2009, 07:28 PM
Thank you all for the welcome! It seems as if I am definitely in the right place here to continue learning. :)

How many generations can we continue vibrantly with "Because that's what my parents told me to do." as an answer. This just doesn't cut it, does it?

Yes exactly! I feel a lot of the reason people turn away from Hinduism is the lack of clear understanding and explanations. And does one really have faith if just going through the motions?

Looking forward to the discussions here!

sunyata07
20 November 2009, 01:30 PM
Namaste Shanti,

You're very welcome here to HDF. I hope you enjoy it here.

Eastern Mind
20 November 2009, 02:09 PM
And does one really have faith if just going through the motions?

Good point. In short, no! I find that rather obvious. So then what is faith? How does it happen. When observing other devotees at the temple I go to, I see both. Some are just going through the motions.

Others obviously have this melancholy-like teary look on their face. God is reaching back.

The reason, I think, is that one strong mystical or religious experience. Unless you as an individual have that mystical experience there is little chance of you actually developing faith. There has to be a sense of the extraordinary. You have to feel God. The energy of God, whether it comes from nature (Yajvan-ji likes this), an old soul, a temple, or just your own spine has to be felt as strongly as you can taste tea or coffee, or curry. It has to hit you like a rock. Until then, well, yes it seems all empty.

Aum Namasivaya

Shanti
23 November 2009, 06:49 PM
The reason, I think, is that one strong mystical or religious experience. Unless you as an individual have that mystical experience there is little chance of you actually developing faith. There has to be a sense of the extraordinary. You have to feel God. The energy of God, whether it comes from nature (Yajvan-ji likes this), an old soul, a temple, or just your own spine has to be felt as strongly as you can taste tea or coffee, or curry. It has to hit you like a rock. Until then, well, yes it seems all empty.

Aum Namasivaya

Yes this really is the essence of it! The part I bolded above really speaks to me, thank you!