PDA

View Full Version : Why some and not others?

Lailaphetes
23 November 2009, 02:41 PM
Not sure if this would be the correct forum to discuss this, but I think it will fit here.

What makes us attracted to certain Devas in the various traditions of Sanatana Dharma? Why be attracted to one and not several? For me, I was first attracted by Sri Krsna, before I even knew what Gaudiya Vaisnavaism or "Hare Krsna" was. Yet, I feel no attraction towards any of the other Devas such as Siva, Ganesh, Durga, etc. and I feel like I never will be. I don't quite understand it myself.

Even before learning of Sanatana Dharma, this was the same case. Actually, I believe this is true of other religions as well. When I was dabbling with the Reconstructionist paths, I felt attracted by Yinepu(Anubis) in the Kemetic Orthodox faith and by Apollon in the Hellenistic faith. I literally returned to the Roman Catholic church because I saw a little pamphlet sitting out on our dining room table with a specific saint on it. The moment I saw this pamphlet, I had a type of epiphany; not an epiphany as in "seeing God," but more like the "coming to a sudden realization" epiphany(see the very ending in the movie "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" and you'll know what I'm talking about). It was almost like, "what was I missing all this time?"

For Sanatana Dharma, my realization has not been instantaneous but rather a gradual process. I'm not sure why certain Devas seem to "call out to us" and not others. I almost feel like Sri Krsna is putting me through some type of life journey or test.

So really I don't know what the point of this thread was. :)

sambya
24 November 2009, 02:29 AM
acttraction to one form over others results out of samskars or impressions left over from ur past births . every karma or work that we do leaves behind its corresponding bad or good samskars . these samskars shape what we are today , our looks , achievements in life , desires , nature everything . u must have had some samskars from past life that have brought u to sri krishna or u might as well have been devoted to krishna himself --the legacy which is continuing in this birth and shall continue till u attain final liberation .

sri krishna is your ishta deva --the chosen deity ...........enjoy

sunyata07
24 November 2009, 08:35 AM
Namaste Lailaphetes,

You ask an interesting question; it's one I have been thinking about in the past before, while I was still becoming acquainted with the idea of numerous and different forms of God. I knew they were all the same Divine entity at the end of the day, but it amazed me just how each one could represent a particular facet of the Supreme and evoke certain emotions from me. I felt more attracted to some than others, and I felt confused about why this should be, if they are all One. In contrast to the example you have given, I would feel more attracted to Shiva, Durga and Ganesha and less attracted to God as Krishna or another of Vishnu's avatars. Interesting, considering we both came from a RC background, right? So how to account for the differences in our choices?

I think Sambya has given a very good answer. I think our feelings for a particular aspect of God is closely linked to our karma and the actions of our past lives. Maybe once in a previous lifetime you were a devoted bhaktar of Sri Krishna, and once again you are compelled to follow God in this form. If not, maybe now in this lifetime the string of consequences coming from previous lifetimes have built up to this moment when you know you have found peace at last in Him.

My take is that one's relationship with God can be a profoundly personal one. Discovering Him is really nothing more than a journey to the heart of yourself. I don't think a true Ishta-Devata could ever be imposed on somebody. How could you be ever compelled to surrender to a form of God you felt doubts about or did not feel true devotion towards? Everybody is different, in their thoughts, attitudes and approach to the world. That is why different people choose to worship a particular form of God and give Him (or Her) names, appearances and qualities. I think it essentially reflects that part of themselves that they value the most. They are worshipping that particular version of perfection which they strive for. All the attributes you are drawn to will be reflected in how you see God. If your vision of God as a person is happy, playful and blissful then naturally you will be drawn to Krishna. If your vision of God is detachment from wordly things, with self-discipline and restraint, more likely you will be drawn to God as Shiva. If your see strength, morality, power and justice as being the prime attributes of God you will see God as Durga or Kali.

For Sanatana Dharma, my realization has not been instantaneous but rather a gradual process.

That's great to hear, because Sanatana Dharma is not a purely belief-based tradition but one that places importance on personal experience. That is why you have described it as being a slow, growing thing - aren't the best relationships we have with other people like this as well? :)

devotee
24 November 2009, 09:04 AM
Namaste Sunyata & Sambya,

You both have correctly said that it is because of the past Karmas. My Guru ji says that there is nothing which happens with anyone just by chance. It all depends upon one's Karmas. The people around us, people who love us, people who hate us, people who guide us have long acquaintances with us in our past lives. And that is true to deities who attract us.

OM

sambya
24 November 2009, 10:17 AM
there's an interesting parable of sri ramakrishna paramahamsa where he teaches what should be our mood of devotion towards our chosen ishta .-----

" a newly married wife living in a big joint family attends to every people's need within the household . she takes utmost care of her father in law , mother in law , the little childrens and the servants . but she always has a speciall place in her heart for her husband . when she prepares paan for members , she quitely keeps the best one aside for him . this should be the mood towards our ishta . we must love all and respect all but have special relation with the one we love ! "

jai.....

chandu_69
24 November 2009, 10:50 AM
What makes us attracted to certain Devas in the various traditions of Sanatana Dharma? Why be attracted to one and not several?

The reasons for being for being attracted to a particular form of god are many fold.Most of the hindus feel some sort of strong association to a particular form .This admiration/attachemnt to one's ishta devatha is regarded as normal in hinduism.Nobody feels any pangs of guilt.

TatTvamAsi
24 November 2009, 01:10 PM
Your question has a very simple answer:

It is because of YOUR LIMITED UNDERSTANDING that only one form of the Supreme shines through as "favorable" etc.

It does not reflect the nature of Supreme but that of your mind! That is why when thought ceases, no deity is superior to the other and all merge into the perennial ocean called "Brahman".

Q.E.D.

Not sure if this would be the correct forum to discuss this, but I think it will fit here.

What makes us attracted to certain Devas in the various traditions of Sanatana Dharma? Why be attracted to one and not several? For me, I was first attracted by Sri Krsna, before I even knew what Gaudiya Vaisnavaism or "Hare Krsna" was. Yet, I feel no attraction towards any of the other Devas such as Siva, Ganesh, Durga, etc. and I feel like I never will be. I don't quite understand it myself.

Even before learning of Sanatana Dharma, this was the same case. Actually, I believe this is true of other religions as well. When I was dabbling with the Reconstructionist paths, I felt attracted by Yinepu(Anubis) in the Kemetic Orthodox faith and by Apollon in the Hellenistic faith. I literally returned to the Roman Catholic church because I saw a little pamphlet sitting out on our dining room table with a specific saint on it. The moment I saw this pamphlet, I had a type of epiphany; not an epiphany as in "seeing God," but more like the "coming to a sudden realization" epiphany(see the very ending in the movie "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" and you'll know what I'm talking about). It was almost like, "what was I missing all this time?"

For Sanatana Dharma, my realization has not been instantaneous but rather a gradual process. I'm not sure why certain Devas seem to "call out to us" and not others. I almost feel like Sri Krsna is putting me through some type of life journey or test.

So really I don't know what the point of this thread was. :)

sanjaya
24 November 2009, 10:29 PM

That's a good question. I personally pray and/or do puja primarily to Vishnu, Ganesha, Lakshmi, and Sarasvati. I also have been studying some of God's avatars, such as Shirdi Sai Baba and (more recently) Sri Guru. Mostly this is because that's what my family has always done. But recently I've also been reading the Bhagavad Gita (something my family hasn't always put such a strong emphasis on), and I've become interested in Krishna as well.

It seems to me that all the devas are important, since they are manifestations of God, and they all have something valuable to teach us about God. We may all have our favorites, but I think it's important to explore all aspects of God. Though my family hasn't done all varieties of puja out there, they have taught me the stories about all the devas, and I think it's important for all Hindus to know these stories as well.