PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Hinduism have specified rules?

ScottMalaysia
28 November 2009, 12:47 PM
Coming home from the station tonight, my wife made a wrong turning and we ended up at a beautiful Hindu temple. She told me that she used to come to this temple when she was young. I really wanted to go inside, have a look and pray, but I'd been at work all day and my clothes weren't clean. I'd sat on the bed before going to work (I'm told that the bed is unclean). I was really disappointed.

It made me think about some things. Why doesn't Hinduism have specified rules for worship? You have to wear clean clothing for worship. Why isn't there some scriptural source that specifies what "clean clothing" actually means? Freshly washed? Only worn X number of times? No body fluid/blood on it? Why isn't there a source that says what makes something spiritually impure and what purifies it? Also, with regard to fasting, there is no specific set of fasting rules which state what breaks the fast. Even if I ask people, I will get different opinions, and no-one has the authority to give a definite statement (like the Pope in Catholicism), since the highest authority in Hinduism is the Vedas, and the Vedas seem to be silent on these issues.

Does anyone know of a definitive list of rules for worship and daily living, compiled from the Scriptures? Such as the things I've mentioned above. Do the Puranas or Agamas contain such a list (especially definite rules for temple conduct)?

I was thinking: While I don't like Islam's teaching on hell, non-Islamic religions and violence, and I would never (and could never) become a Muslim, I do appreciate the strict rules that they lay down for their followers to live their lives by and worship God. They know that 'clean clothing' means no bodily fluid or blood. They know that they have to ritually wash before prayers. The Hadith (Islamic oral traditions) state what breaks the fast and what doesn't. At least with Islam you know where you stand and what you have to do to make the situation right if it isn't.

sambya
28 November 2009, 10:46 PM
the fact that hinduism didnt have a central rule making authority have ensured its survival for so long on this earth . a central rule system makes the institution rigid and authoritative and leaves no place of flexibilty and alteration . and these two factors are what has enabled hinduism to adapt to its changing and challenging surroundings and shine proudly evn in 21st century , when others of its kind and age have completely died out .

there r specific rules on various shastras regarding conduct in temple and cleanliness but then again that shastra might only be popular locally or in a definite region .

personally i think that very strict measures need not be necessarily taken unless u r engaging in some puja urself or are about to enter the inner sanctum of the temple . for a ordinary visit normal clothes are okay even if it means coming back after office or sitting on bed . except of course if there has been some direct cause of impurity -- for eg menstrual blood . if u r still not satisfied just sprinkle a few drops of ganga water on ur head .

however one must be carefull when entering the garbhagriha or performing a puja urself . then u must wear washed clothes and sit down to rituals after a thorough bath .

sambya
28 November 2009, 10:52 PM
clean cothing in hinduism implies a coth thats washed (not by washerman) with soap and fresh water , one which is not worn previously , which does not having any significant contaminants sticking on it like menstrual blood , blood from any cuts , feaces etc . one which has not been worn during sleeping in bed .

however silken robes are considered 'always pure' and highly valued . but evn this doesnt stand as an exception to the direct contaminants(blood and stuff)

strict measures that r to be followed while entering the sanctum sanctorum or while touching the deity might not be followed to enter a temple ordinarily .

sanjaya
28 November 2009, 11:22 PM
I agree with Sambya that the lack of any centralized authority is actually a strength of Hinduism. In other religions, rules are often used as a way to control people. This is not to say that the best alternative is anarchy; indeed Hinduism makes some pretty strong statements on moral and immoral behavior. But from what I've seen, the rules about entering temples and doing pujas are dictated more by custom than Scripture.

If I may inquire, what sort of work do you do? I'm only asking because my family and I have gone to temples after some of us were at the office all day. I suppose that if you work outdoors or do other things that get your clothes dirty, then it might be disrespectful to God to go directly to the temple. But if you're just sitting at a desk all day, I don't know of any custom that prohibits going directly to the temple.

vcindiana
28 November 2009, 11:47 PM
Coming home from the station tonight, my wife made a wrong turning and we ended up at a beautiful Hindu temple. She told me that she used to come to this temple when she was young. I really wanted to go inside, have a look and pray, but I'd been at work all day and my clothes weren't clean. I'd sat on the bed before going to work (I'm told that the bed is unclean). I was really disappointed.

It made me think about some things. Why doesn't Hinduism have specified rules for worship? You have to wear clean clothing for worship. Why isn't there some scriptural source that specifies what "clean clothing" actually means? Freshly washed? Only worn X number of times? No body fluid/blood on it? Why isn't there a source that says what makes something spiritually impure and what purifies it? Also, with regard to fasting, there is no specific set of fasting rules which state what breaks the fast. Even if I ask people, I will get different opinions, and no-one has the authority to give a definite statement (like the Pope in Catholicism), since the highest authority in Hinduism is the Vedas, and the Vedas seem to be silent on these issues.

Does anyone know of a definitive list of rules for worship and daily living, compiled from the Scriptures? Such as the things I've mentioned above. Do the Puranas or Agamas contain such a list (especially definite rules for temple conduct)?

I was thinking: While I don't like Islam's teaching on hell, non-Islamic religions and violence, and I would never (and could never) become a Muslim, I do appreciate the strict rules that they lay down for their followers to live their lives by and worship God. They know that 'clean clothing' means no bodily fluid or blood. They know that they have to ritually wash before prayers. The Hadith (Islamic oral traditions) state what breaks the fast and what doesn't. At least with Islam you know where you stand and what you have to do to make the situation right if it isn't.

Dear SM:

For me the rule or the law is well stated in BG 2:47

Let me explain my take. It is a little complicated. Please read the verse several times and slowly. Give some thoughts, contemplate and understand. You do have right to critique my writing.

I have full (Thank God) given freedom in any of my action. I need to (well, I try to) perform an action without thinking about its result.I am no saint; it is not that I have no desire in the fruit of my action. The reality is, however well I perform an action its result can never be guaranteed and this is something I need to clearly understand and come to terms with it. The point is it is all about action, not fruit of action.

BG emphasizes action, for inaction is so to say is Sin. Action is Swadharma. Swadharma is an action what I do being true to myself. BG does not qualify or quantify an action or the swadharma. It does not set the rules.

You mentioned about clean clothing. BG purposely does not say that you need to enter a temple with clean clothing. Of course it will be good to enter a temple with clean clothes. But that is something that has to come from inside you as you yourself recognize the sanctity of the place. But at a deeper level that is only external. In terms of clean or some holy clothes have you realized how clean is good enough to be really clean? One can wear a deer skin, saffron robe or the kind of robe Pope wears etc...Does it matter? Can one be holier than someone else in the eyes of God? I do not think hands of a Karma Yogi are ever being clean. He has his sleeves always rolled up for action. When a Karma Yogi is in action/devotion he is not about the fruit of action and he is not about the right kind of clothe to wear in order to influence the fruit of action.

You also mentioned about fasting. I am not denying its significance. People do fast find some spiritual uplift. But fasting purely in terms of appeasing God or to seek certain fruit of action has no meaning. Wearing cleaner clothes or fasting based on fruit of action loses my focus of my action.

I do not know what Islam or other “religions” say and it is not my buiseness to comment or criticize them . Many times we do need laws, doctrines,commandments, rituals etc to keep up us in a groove. The problem is these are like traffic rules and speeding limits. So to say these are human laws. It is almost impossible to find someone strictly following such rules. BG knows this human limitation, it gives the only one “law “that is to stick to whatever the action we are supposed to do”. By doing so there is no condition to be based upon. In that full freedom and frame of mind you will judge yourself about your actions and certainly you do not do wrong or go wrong.

Love...... VC

ScottMalaysia
29 November 2009, 01:08 AM
the fact that hinduism didnt have a central rule making authority have ensured its survival for so long on this earth . a central rule system makes the institution rigid and authoritative and leaves no place of flexibilty and alteration . and these two factors are what has enabled hinduism to adapt to its changing and challenging surroundings and shine proudly evn in 21st century , when others of its kind and age have completely died out .

I understand. Yes, there shouldn't be any rules on what you should believe. But rules for practice would be helpful.

there r specific rules on various shastras regarding conduct in temple and cleanliness but then again that shastra might only be popular locally or in a definite region .

Can you give me some links to these shastras?

personally i think that very strict measures need not be necessarily taken unless u r engaging in some puja urself or are about to enter the inner sanctum of the temple . for a ordinary visit normal clothes are okay even if it means coming back after office or sitting on bed . except of course if there has been some direct cause of impurity -- for eg menstrual blood . if u r still not satisfied just sprinkle a few drops of ganga water on ur head .

however one must be carefull when entering the garbhagriha or performing a puja urself . then u must wear washed clothes and sit down to rituals after a thorough bath .

Is this only your personal opinion, or is there something from the shastras to substantiate it?

You mention menstrual blood as one cause of impurity. What are others?

sambya
02 December 2009, 09:28 AM
if u r supposed to touch the deity or perform a puja urself , you must complete your latrine work , brush ur teeth and then take a thorough bath with fresh water . traditionally bathing by taking a dip in flowing water (like a river) was considered the best form of bath , in days when flowing tapwater was not available . however today most use tap water in a normal bathroom . do not take ur fresh clothes that u r goin to wear into the bathroom as it is considered unclean . traditionally indian homes used to have a bathroom seprated from the rest of the living appartments . while u r touching the deity or performing the puja , the rules advise not to touch the clothing or hair as it is considerd unclean . however in case u do just rewash the hand with a few drops of water from the panchapatra(the ritualistic bowl) do not re enter the latrine in middle of the puja unless it is an absolute necessity . take a thorugh bath after attending a funeral ceremony or attending the last rites of any deceased person . do not go into the grabhagriha wearing clothes that have been exposed to a dead body . do not wear clothes which have been contaminated by bird or animal droppings. before sitting down to puja do not touch or pet animals or pets . blood , semen ,other body fluids and excessive sweat all r considered pollutants to clothings .

these are some of the rules which should be followed if u r to engage in direct worship . they r from shastra and not my own concoction .

for a general visit to any temple most hindus follow these rules . this is my personal observation of customs of india ----

they do not visit the temple during the period of asaucha which commences after the death of a direct relative (usually more number of days in case of patrilineal ones and vary with different castes ) .

women do not do puja activities or enter a temple in the days of her periods ,

generally take a bath before going to the temple .

do not offer anything to god with unwashed hands .

unfortunately i do not have links to any such sites which contain such shastras .

kshama
02 December 2009, 10:51 AM
Namaskar,

Though I am not of profound knowledge like many people in this forum are, I would like to channel my thoughts pertaining this matter.

Why Hinduism doesn't have any specified rule? In my opinion, there are some rules and regulations somewhere in scriptures. But above all, all these things are pointless if one doesn't have bhakti.

Temples are sacred places. So, it is advisable to be clean. But then, how if the devotee is pauper or a beggar with torn shorts and filthy shirt? Does God shower His blessing to the "clean" devotee and not the "unclean devotee"? God graces all. The rich, the poor and anyone has equal opportunity to have the grace of god.

So, in my opinion, there are many more things one should ponder in life rather than following rules and regulations like a robot, without any bakthi.
Have faith in God, all good things will come to you.

Eastern Mind
02 December 2009, 01:06 PM
Namaskar,

Though I am not of profound knowledge like many people in this forum are,

... all these things are pointless if one doesn't have bhakti.

You can't get much more profound than that.

Aum Namasivaya

ScottMalaysia
03 December 2009, 09:35 AM
But above all, all these things are pointless if one doesn't have bhakti.

So it's okay if you enter the temple with filthy, old clothes as long as you have bhakti?

there are some rules and regulations somewhere in scriptures.

Does anyone have the specific verse references?

Does anyone (especially Kshama) know of any books that give details about conduct in a temple, what can and can't be worn, how to perform worship in a temple, how to perform puja etc? I'm asking Kshama because he's a Malaysian and he would know the sorts of Hindu books available here. And it has to be in English. A lot of the Hindu books here are in Tamil (which I can't read, although I do know the alphabet).

kshama
03 December 2009, 09:54 AM
So it's okay if you enter the temple with filthy, old clothes as long as you have bhakti?

Does anyone have the specific verse references?

Does anyone (especially Kshama) know of any books that give details about conduct in a temple, what can and can't be worn, how to perform worship in a temple, how to perform puja etc? I'm asking Kshama because he's a Malaysian and he would know the sorts of Hindu books available here. And it has to be in English. A lot of the Hindu books here are in Tamil (which I can't read, although I do know the alphabet).

ScottMalaysia Ji,

Namaskar. To a certain degree everyone has bhakti, but very rare we can see people with one-pointed bhakti. As I said, there are rules and regulations for people entering temple, particularly among South Indians. Though cleanliness is a virtue, when it comes to devotion, only bhakti counts to get God's grace.

If I were you, I will probably pay more attention in the worship that is being done in temple than focusing in matters like clothes and so on.

By the way, there are books that is about poojas, worships in temple and so on. I am from Ipoh, I had this book in Malay about temple worships do and don'ts when entering temple. Sadly the book got misplaced somewhere here. How I got it, I bought it in a Murugan temple in Ipoh.

I suggest you try to find books in areas like Jalan Tengku Kelana Klang. There are many books on various topics, mostly in Tamil, but if you are lucky, you could find it in English. Good luck.

goodlife
03 December 2009, 10:19 AM
Why are so concerned about rules? if they matter i would suggest try islam. its all rules--> includes all whens and hows.

enjoy the freedom which the dharma provides.

regarding filthy clothes and god taking an offence to it, i wonder if a mother loves her kid less if he turns up all soiled up?

kshama
03 December 2009, 10:21 AM
Why are so concerned about rules? if they matter i would suggest try islam. its all rules--> includes all whens and hows.

enjoy the freedom which the dharma provides.

regarding filthy clothes and god taking an offence to it, i wonder if a mother loves her kid less if he turns up all soiled up?

Very well said.