PDA

View Full Version : What Is Astrology?

Edwerd
02 December 2009, 09:42 PM
As per India astrologer (http://www.astrology-india.com/) and science related to astrology, each of the planets symbolizes confident energies, and also releases definite magnetic and electric fields, which manipulates the human lives in positive or negative way.

It’s said that the horoscope is haven’s map at the time and place of an individual’s birth which indicates the planets position and its relation to the one who is newly born. Vedic astrology deals with the science that studies the joint power of these planetary bodies on the human being.

As per Vedic astrology and its astrological language, the planets indicate:

1. The activities performed in previous lives.

2. The manner in which they are thus likely to be executed in the present life.

The astrology houses of chart tells us about the exact areas in life in which actions will be performed, and which will be strong or weak depending on the nature and situation of planets that influence them.

yajvan
03 December 2009, 11:43 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

Namaste edwerd,

Thank you for your post on astrology. Do you have an opinion you wish to offer on jyotiṣ (jyotish)? Do you see them as the same, similar or different?

Are you of the opinion that the planet's ( called grāha¹ in jyotiṣ) influence is via magnetic and electric fields as you mention and that is the main motivator or vehicle they use?

From where does this 'intelligence' come that sets up this system of cause-influence-and-effect? Any opinions you wish to share?

praṇām

words
grāhaka ग्राहक- one who seizes or takes captive ; from grāha ग्रह- seizing , laying hold of , holding i.e. a grāhaka ~seizes~ or influences the circumstances of the native.

sanjaya
03 December 2009, 07:38 PM
You know, I've always wondered about what to do with Indian astrology. On the one hand, my mother has told me stories about how her mother's astrologer predicted all kinds of things with great accuracy. However, as an astrophysicist I have been trained to understand the heavens from a scientific point of view, and the explanations that astrologers give me about how their predictions work smell like the same pseudoscience that we find in creationism, homeopathy, and other such things.

If I may ask, what is the origin of Indian astrology? Does it have any basis in Hindu Scriptures, or is it just a cultural characteristic of India?

amra
04 December 2009, 05:58 AM
Jyotish is the eye of the Veda's. Astronomy astrophysics and the like are just smaller parts of astrology. Ancient books like the Surya Siddhanta dealt with astronomy among other things.

A good question has been raised - How do the planets influence behaviour on Earth? - First it must be cleared up that there actually is an influence from the planetary world. The prevalence of the Navgraha in Hindu myth and ritual shows that the older forms of Hindu society were formed along lines that aimed at a harmony between earthly and planetary levels. In other words older society and civilization used planetary influences consciously to uplift society. If we a priori take that the universe is interconnected, no thought is seperate, all interpenetrates everything else, then the being of planets can affect us. Yes each planet is a living sentient being like a human but a being of a different quality. Someone explained astrology like this, when two human beings pass in a street there is a tension between them, when two planets pass they create a tension, due to their magnitude this tension is felt on Earth as wars destruction etc. Why this tension is felt can be explained by looking at the human machine. A thought or a feeling influences the environment around the person who feels. A person in a black mood will bring down the environment around him. The same thing occurs on a different scale with the planets/.

yajvan
04 December 2009, 11:23 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

Namasté

Jyotish is the eye of the Veda's. Astronomy astrophysics and the like are just smaller parts of astrology. Ancient books like the Surya Siddhanta dealt with astronomy among other things.

Arma-jī offers a nice insight, 'the eyes of the veda'. Jyotish (jyotiṣ) is considered the science of light. Jyotis is defined as light (of the sun , dawn , fire , lightning). If we say trī́ṇi jyótīṃṣi , then we are dealing with the 'light' appearing in the 3 worlds , on earth , in the intermediate region , and in the sky or heaven

Jyotiṣ (jyotish) falls under vedāṅga or a limb (aṅga) of the ved. We know there are 6 limbs called out.¹

From my POV (what I have been taught) there are 3 approaches to jyotiṣ one might want to consider:

The concept - the pañca mahābhutā
śatapatha brāhmaṇa - what it tells us
All things are connected in this universeThis can be reviewed here on this HDF post, if there is interest :
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26814&postcount=2 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26814&postcount=2)

praṇām

references

6 limbs of vedāṅga

śikṣā - phonetics, sandhi rules ( joining) and phonology
vyākaraṇa -grammar
nirukta - etymology, word origins ( my favorite :) )
kalpa - ritual/yajña (properly performed and to whom for what ends)
chandas - meter ( i.e. beat, count) for proper chanting; sāma ved as example
jyotiṣa - astrology and astronomy . The focus dealing with the auspicious days for performing sacrifices; also with one's birth, trends, life events, etc. Some call this the science of light.

yajvan
04 December 2009, 12:53 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

Namasté

Arma-jī insight's continue...

A good question has been raised - How do the planets influence behaviour on Earth? - If we a priori take that the universe is interconnected, no thought is seperate, all interpenetrates everything else, then the being of planets can affect us.
... and this is supported by the wise:

sarvasarvātmakatā vapuḥ - everything (sarva) is the form (vapuḥ) of everything else (sarvātmaka)… Abhinavagupta-ji, from Parā-trīśikā Vivaraṇa

If one wishes to go deeper and further into this idea, the Chāndogya Upaniṣad, Chapter 8 will be worth the read.

praṇām

TatTvamAsi
11 December 2009, 01:37 PM
Namaste,

Astrology is mistakenly understood as a cause-and-effect relationship between the celestial bodies' positions/movements with the events and activities life on earth (and elsewhere).

As Yoga VasiSTa states, there is NO cause-and-effect relationship at all. Rather, astrology is the study of self-similarity in the universe. As nothing really happens independently, anything can be 'mapped' to something else, although seemingly unrelated (kAkatAliyA).

Some very interesting things to consider are:

1.) NASA consults astrologers for important events such as shuttle launches etc. (how do I know? Well, my relative worked at NASA and has met these 'consultants'! :))

2.) In finance, options trading was greatly influenced by some seemingly unrelated equations dedicated to rocketry and their trajectories! This perfectly elucidates kAkatAlIya!

This self-similarity in the universe can be understood only by those who have transcended the 5 senses and can tap into the subtle nature of the universe. Astrology cannot be understood from a 4-D spacetime understanding. That is why many 'rationalists' call astrology pseudoscience! Hah! The irony!

Namaskar.

yajvan
11 December 2009, 04:48 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté TTA

As Yoga VasiSTa states, there is NO cause-and-effect relationship at all. Rather, astrology is the study of self-similarity in the universe.

This view offered depends on one's level of consciousness. A simple experiment may help. Take a match and light it. Place your finger in the flame. What occurs? Do this 100 times, 1,000 times; what occurs? From your point of view and experience you are burnt. You have experienced cause-and-effect.

Vāsiṣṭa-ji brings a view on what this universe is, consciousness and not two... who gets burned and who is doing the burning takes two. For Vāsiṣṭa-ji there is no 2, for a cause-and-effect to occur.

So, this is all about knowledge being different in different levels of awareness or consciousness.

I am very impressed by what you said,

astrology is the study of self-similarity in the universe
yes, well said. The wise say, 'as above so below'. The things that occur in the cosmos also occur ( in miniature ) within us. Why so? The universe extends itself in us, in all beings. We are of the same-stuff ( tattva-s or that-ness).

praṇām

terrence109
05 December 2010, 10:54 PM
Astrology explores the meaningful connection between mankind and the wider cosmos, the relationship between the movements of the planets and the inner world of human consciousness and motivation. Astrology is the method by which a total stranger may detect how you tend to perceive the world, over time.The signs, planets, and aspects combine to give an individual a filter through which he will view his circumstances and react to them. Hopefully this site will help you find true guidance.... (http://www.lifereader.co.nz/psychic/astrology_horoscopes)

yajvan
06 December 2010, 03:29 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté terrence109

Astrology explores the meaningful connection between mankind and the wider cosmos, the relationship between the movements of the planets and the inner world of human consciousness and motivation. Astrology is the method by which a total stranger may detect how you tend to perceive the world, over time.The signs, planets, and aspects combine to give an individual a filter through which he will view his circumstances and react to them. Hopefully this site will help you find true guidance....

What are your opinions of Western astrology vs. jyotish? Do you see any differences or similarities?

praṇām

Adhvagat
06 December 2010, 04:00 PM
Carl Gustav Jung said Astrology is a phenomenon of sincronicity.

Sudarshan (a member here on the forums) commented about how the planets are a metaphor for the yogic chakras.

While we may not see a direct, physical correlation between the heavens and our daily life (beams that affects our brains, hehe), the sincronicity is there. Everyone who knows Jyotish knows it's very accurate, so we don't have to discuss if it's legit or not, it's an accurate way of predicting influences on one's life, that's all it matters.

A skeptical friend of mine came to me amazed that he put info of him and his girlfriend on an astrology application and the information about them was so accurate, he came to me baffled asking if I believed in astrology. I said what I said above.

What exactly happens? Physically? I have no idea...
If there's a certain degree of connection on subtler planes, perhaps.

I'm reading a book by Carl Gustav Jung where he discuss Paracelsus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracelsus) and the view that the outer sky affected the inner sky of men.
That reminds the concept Yajvan brought up: sarvaṁ sarvātmakam (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50233&postcount=10).

It's so much information that I'm lost with this for the moment. And please consider that I have very little knowledge about Jyotish.

Om Tat Sat

jasdir
07 December 2010, 02:32 AM
What Is Astrology?

As by knowing the EFFECT of habit & circle of nature on earth, we can guess the climate like summers, winters, rain & snowfall etc.. Similarly

By knowing the EFFECT of habit & circle of stars on man, we can guess the Astrology of Man

Astrology is of Man,
But very sad to say, nowdays man is of Astrology,

As we use Airconditions to get rid from heat, But nature returning the heat back with intrest, in the form of global warming, Similarly,

We can use the study of Astrology to postpone the result of our done bad deeds, but cannot vanish them, infact they return with INTREST.

_/\_Jasdir.

kd gupta
07 December 2010, 10:53 PM
There is no doubt about astrology defining the soul in human body . Gita shloka 24/5 indicates that every soul , be it inside the insect above ground and at height of 5000 m at top of mountain OR a fish down 5000 m in deep sea [ IF ] is same , Yo’ntah sukho’ntaraaraamas tathaantarjyotir eva yah;
AND Should be governed by some LOGY .
Could any gyani may pl explain ?

yajvan
08 December 2010, 07:15 AM

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

There is no doubt about astrology defining the soul in human body . Gita shloka 24/5 indicates that every soul , be it inside the insect above ground and at height of 5000 m at top of mountain OR a fish down 5000 m in deep sea [ IF ] is same , Yo’ntah sukho’ntaraaraamas tathaantarjyotir eva yah;
I would be happy to try and answer your question yet need your help / clarity of some of your writing:

Gita shloka 24/5 - Which chapter and śloka are you referring to , so I can read the passage also.
governed by some LOGY - is LOGY an abbreviation for another word or sentence ? please advise.

praṇām

kd gupta
08 December 2010, 09:22 AM
Pranam
24 shloka of gita ch 5 and logy means subject dealing with souls .

Thanks for your interest in the subject .

yajvan
08 December 2010, 09:24 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté kd_gupta

I have read 5.24 of the bhāgavad gītā and am trying to connect to jyotish; here is my view on the matter.

My reading says the following ( I am happy to do this word-by-word): He whose happiness is within , whose contentment is within, whose light is within, that yogi being one with brahman attains eternal freedom in divine consciousness ( divine consciousness here = brahma-bhūta).

That person, described in 5.24 is now outside of the 3 guna's. His body may be subject the the laws of the 3 guna's as jyotish functions here. Different rules apply to the muni that are not easily found in the jyotish chart. That is, the D20 chart will apply, as will the D9 chart ( these are harmonic charts of the birth or natal chart).

Hence this śloka is talking about a person established in the Self, ātman. One's life is only superfically affected by relative field of life when this level Being is lived - even death is superficial now.
Why do I say this? Because of the word nirvāṇa offered by kṛṣṇa-ji. We know it means calmed , quieted , tamed ( also blown out, extinguished (as a lamp or fire)). Yet the definition also means absolute extinction or annihilation ( śūnya) of individual existence or of all desires and passions; it suggests final emancipation from matter and re-union with the Supreme.

Hence jyotish rules stuggle witin the realm of the Supreme. Why so ? in one word svātantrya. We know this word to mean following one's own will , freedom of the will , independence. This independence is complete, total, absolute. Jyotish functions in the field of dependences, influences, hence the challage to associate jyotish tools with the muni.

This is my thoughts on this matter. I look to others with a different view on the suject at hand.

praṇām

kd gupta
12 December 2010, 12:09 AM
Nobody has shown interest in souls subject but I can not stop the gas in my stomach . May be todays smart generation dont care for the fearful character of Draupadi OR law of gravity given by Newton , but the fundamentals specially in case of souls do not change . Arjun hints in ch 1 of gita as Patanti pitaro hyeshaam luptapindodakakriyaah. for their forefathers fall,
deprived of the offerings of rice-ball and water.
Therefore souls are like the sunrays comming 24x365 and making the water warm . These souls weaken if not properly nourished . Hence the parental body parmatma and not the brahman , which is the subject of gyanis only , enjoys the physical world and therefore is dependent on their bhakts as sribhagwatam says....aham bhakt paradhino .
So next idea after some food for thought .

Adhvagat
12 December 2010, 09:43 AM
Namaste,

Astrology is mistakenly understood as a cause-and-effect relationship between the celestial bodies' positions/movements with the events and activities life on earth (and elsewhere).

As Yoga VasiSTa states, there is NO cause-and-effect relationship at all. Rather, astrology is the study of self-similarity in the universe. As nothing really happens independently, anything can be 'mapped' to something else, although seemingly unrelated (kAkatAliyA).

Some very interesting things to consider are:

1.) NASA consults astrologers for important events such as shuttle launches etc. (how do I know? Well, my relative worked at NASA and has met these 'consultants'! :))

2.) In finance, options trading was greatly influenced by some seemingly unrelated equations dedicated to rocketry and their trajectories! This perfectly elucidates kAkatAlIya!

This self-similarity in the universe can be understood only by those who have transcended the 5 senses and can tap into the subtle nature of the universe. Astrology cannot be understood from a 4-D spacetime understanding. That is why many 'rationalists' call astrology pseudoscience! Hah! The irony!

Namaskar.

You exposed what I tried to say in a much better way. I just went by and didn't read your post. Sorry for that.

QFT... :)

Om Tat Sat

yajvan
12 December 2010, 08:36 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

One may wish to revisit the notion of cause and effect found in the the yoga vāsiṣṭa¹.

The story is told via kākatālīya¹ - the story of the crow and the palm tree. To come to the conclusion that there is no cause-and-affect in this world would be a mis-take. What the story tries to offer the reader is what you see is not always the full truth, the complete story.

This view is also supported by another story in the yoga vāsiṣṭa of the blue sky. We look up and the sky is blue - yet science tells us it is not and gives us the reasons for this. Yet it appears blue to the viewer.

Like that, these stories are offered again and again to bring home a point to the viewer/aspirant/sādhu things are not as they seem.

praṇām

words

Vāsiṣṭa ( also written vāśiṣṭha) means owning or belonging to the sage vasiṣṭha . His work is also known as yogavasișțharāmāyaṇa.
kākatālīya काकतालीय is kāka ( a crow) + tālī ( a tree) +ya (joining) : after the manner of the crow and the palm-fruit